Author Topic: rack pulls  (Read 2040 times)

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
rack pulls
« on: December 01, 2005, 09:39:29 AM »
how far up is the bottom of this movement?  I have never done these, only full deads and i want to try these out.  how do you guys do it?
Valhalla awaits.

Traps Hoolihan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: rack pulls
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 09:41:58 AM »
I set it a inch below the knees or so. I'm 6'7'' though so it's still a long way up. I hunch my shoulders forward and then throw them back at the top of the movement to hit the Traps.

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 10:42:45 AM »
Same as Traps for me. An inch or two below the knee. 

If you're trying to work on pure lockout strength, you could set it higher.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 10:57:07 AM »
Lemme quote Deion Sanders on this: "Both".

I think rack pulls from right above the knees will allow for great poundage, if you use different heights, you'll get the benefit of working with the poundage which is ideal for that certain height.

I suggest picking one height above the knee and one below the knee for starters. Alternate between these two for your rack pull workouts.

I currently have two heights below and two heights above the knee that I pull from.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 01:19:18 PM »
In a semi-squat position, I have the pins set just about an inch or so above the knees. My other position is about 3/4's up the thighs, when in that semi-squat position. Having the pins set below the knee position allows too much stress on the lower back (leaning forward,out of alinement with the hip/back lifting position) for me. I''m 6'2. I get 150+ above any other pin settings  from the 3/4's pin settings, which is really the whole point of lifting max weight for partial reps. Doing 950+, with straps, is my present pull from that 2 to 3 inch pin position (3/4's) to top standing position. Good luck.

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 05:35:09 PM »
thanks for the advice
Valhalla awaits.

SD_Adonis

• Getbig II
  • Tolerance does not mean acceptance.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 02:06:36 AM »
I did rack pulls from pin-1 today.  If I do rack pulls I do pin-1/2/3 to mix up the range of motions.  I have found that pin-1 is closely representative to what I could pull from the floor, but that 2/3 can be quite higher.