Author Topic: Bought an Ab Wheel  (Read 9706 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Bought an Ab Wheel
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »

It's a simple enough apparatus that you could probably make one yourself.
All it would take is a length of 1.5 in. diameter pipe from the hardware store. Purchase some spring clamps/collars for standard-sized dumb bells (you can usually find these sold in pairs in the exercise department at sporting goods stores). Load on your standard plates as in the illustrations, and you're set.

Page 45 (type 49 into the page field box for quick access) of this Bob Hoffman manuscript describes several techniques using the swing bell: http://www.scribd.com/doc/50891871/40/COURSE-No-13-SWING-BELL-COURSE

yeah... interesting... i have kettlebells now though so i'm not sure it would add any value... but it's cool

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 01:52:17 AM »
Wooo have a look on Iron History Forums by Joe Roark ( he posts here Too ) they have a section for strongman and a lot of very old Barbells, Dumbbells ...i am sure you could find an original there.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 02:43:16 AM »
vince gironda says never works abs u fool!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 03:00:50 AM »
vince gironda says never works abs u fool!!!!

no he did but recommended beginners do not if they are a thin underweight bodybuilder because he believed it would put their system in a state of shock and prevent normal muscle gains .. see "The wild physique" by Vince page 58.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 04:07:20 AM »
thanks donny, i'll have a look...

newest addition to my home gym: 3 beer kegs... (the big 55L ones)   1 empty (high reps), 1 3/4 full of water (unstable and heavy), 1 full of sand (holy shit it's awesome heavy)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2012, 04:08:11 AM »
no he did but recommended beginners do not if they are a thin underweight bodybuilder because he believed it would put their system in a state of shock and prevent normal muscle gains .. see "The wild physique" by Vince page 58.

A glance through my post history will reveal that I am a HUGE Gironda mark, but I willingly concede that he didn't know everything, and some if his ideas - especially some of the more radical ones - are maybe a bit off the mark; duplicating the effects of anabolic steroids through increased dietary cholesterol and use of glandulars, for instance.

As for abstaining from direct ab work, I've personally never noticed any measurable effect, but that's not to say that nobody will.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2012, 04:50:19 AM »

A glance through my post history will reveal that I am a HUGE Gironda mark, but I willingly concede that he didn't know everything, and some if his ideas - especially some of the more radical ones - are maybe a bit off the mark; duplicating the effects of anabolic steroids through increased dietary cholesterol and use of glandulars, for instance.

As for abstaining from direct ab work, I've personally never noticed any measurable effect, but that's not to say that nobody will.

yes i know what your saying. He was a very radical man...lol. Bill pearl trained abs alway hard and with high reps so really we should just take what we need from all the old school guys and adapt it to our individual  goals.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 07:42:16 AM »
the only reason i train abs is because they are there

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »
reg park was a big advocate  of the swingbell.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
one of my swingbells.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 09:09:55 AM »
Should have known funky Got one...LOL

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 09:17:14 AM »
they work,,,i'm old school plate in hand body on floor legs elevated to bech crunch,,hanging leg raises,,torso twist crunch on back supported ab,chinup station forgot name of piece,,,