Author Topic: One workout per week  (Read 8803 times)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: One workout per week
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 09:15:49 PM »
Currently training once every three or four days.  I decided to give the Mentzer way a try as I am busy with life and while lifting is a part of my life, it is not all of my life.

I train shoulders, back and chest with 3 sets (total) each (warm ups and working set) and next session would be arms.  Again, 3  sets  total each.  Then the next session legs, same protocol.

I have no real idea what my results will be.  I have only had three workouts but tried this years ago with Mentzer's "original" schedule of splitting it and training four times a week.  That did not work out well for me. In the beginning I gained a bit but it was so intense that I could not handle it.  More rest as recommend in his later years might have been the key.

For my current routine the third set is an all out drop set with forced and/or negative reps or rest pause but only on the final working set.  I get a decent pump and am sore for several days.  Hopefully this will work well for me.  I just don't have the time for hours of training anymore. 

Best of luck to the OP and anyone else that tries this method of training.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 09:35:41 PM »
Here's an idea: Just work out once in your life, at around age 21.

After that, get ready to buy some bigger shirts, 'cause you're gonna need 'em.

G

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 10:12:41 PM »

Plenty of time for the body to recover  ;D

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 10:28:33 PM »
I train 4 days a week.  5-6 days a week has been linked with muscle atrophy and liver tumors.

whataname

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 01:21:32 AM »
Thanks guys for all the advices, but actually the point of my opening post was that my "system" works, so I don't feel the need to change it. On the long run - again, as a natural - I can maintain or slowly develop my everyday swimmer phyisique with this approach. And I eat 2-3g carbs and 1.5-2g protein per kg every day in a "clean diet" so I dont get fat. I believe in Broscientology! :)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 02:12:29 AM »
Currently training once every three or four days.  I decided to give the Mentzer way a try as I am busy with life and while lifting is a part of my life, it is not all of my life.

I train shoulders, back and chest with 3 sets (total) each (warm ups and working set) and next session would be arms.  Again, 3  sets  total each.  Then the next session legs, same protocol.

I have no real idea what my results will be.  I have only had three workouts but tried this years ago with Mentzer's "original" schedule of splitting it and training four times a week.  That did not work out well for me. In the beginning I gained a bit but it was so intense that I could not handle it.  More rest as recommend in his later years might have been the key.

For my current routine the third set is an all out drop set with forced and/or negative reps or rest pause but only on the final working set.  I get a decent pump and am sore for several days.  Hopefully this will work well for me.  I just don't have the time for hours of training anymore. 

Best of luck to the OP and anyone else that tries this method of training.

so you are doing 1 exercise per bodypart?

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 09:05:18 AM »
My schedule gets tough like today- doing two jobs and tommorrow - working a ten hour shift, so I go on my off days or days when I have more free time.- Sundays and Wednesday is a good one for me. That gives me every 72-96 hours, in line with the Ideal Routine suggested guidelines. I don't take planned layoffs, or miss workouts. Life has a way of periodically making that happen, so I figured I'm covered that way.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »
Once a week sounds like a lot.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
I train 4 days a week.  5-6 days a week has been linked with muscle atrophy and liver tumors.
Links please?

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 12:33:05 PM »
how you lookin?
For people in the north of Holland, where I live, I look like Schwarzenegger. For getbig standards, and my own, I am a fat powerlifting dude.....

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
For people in the north of Holland, where I live, I look like Schwarzenegger. For getbig standards, and my own, I am a fat powerlifting dude.....

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 06:21:33 PM »
so you are doing 1 exercise per bodypart?

Yes, but tonight I did the following and will leave it at this routine for awhile to see how it works.

Two supersets of of close grip pull downs and barbell bent over rows.  That is all for back.

Two supersets of pec dec flys and vertical machine bench presses.  That is all for chest

Two supersets of dumbell laterals and barbell presses.
One set of barbell shrugs.                                           That's it for shoulders.

Then I lay on the floor for awhile trying to catch my breath.

All sets were done to failure and the second set the first exercise in the superset is done in drop set fashion.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »

Mothballs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »
Nowadays I cannot go to the gym more than once a week. Not beacuse I have no time - I am just simply tired after work, it's cold and dark outside, sometimes I have a headache, sometimes there is something good in the TV etc-etc. So even if a try to go more frequently, finally there is always a week between my workouts. So i train chest, shoulders, biceps one day, one week later back and tris, one week later chest etc. again. And legs... well maybe once a months. And I look the same as when I trained 3 times a week.
I am a lifetime natural, so after all I am only hard, pumped, vascular when I am in the gym, so it doesn't matter... And at least I can be sure that my muscles regenerate.

Your not gonna gain much doing this. The best you can do is to hope to not lose anything.

I would just do this exercises. Do em heavy and dont fuck around.

Squats
Deadlifts
Millitary Press
Pullups
Bench press
Barbell Curls.

Thats it.....Do 2-4 sets of each 5-10 reps.

Good luck

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 12:26:07 AM »
Yes, but tonight I did the following and will leave it at this routine for awhile to see how it works.

Two supersets of of close grip pull downs and barbell bent over rows.  That is all for back.

Two supersets of pec dec flys and vertical machine bench presses.  That is all for chest

Two supersets of dumbell laterals and barbell presses.
One set of barbell shrugs.                                           That's it for shoulders.

Then I lay on the floor for awhile trying to catch my breath.

All sets were done to failure and the second set the first exercise in the superset is done in drop set fashion.

sounds good man, and as long as your training loads increase you will, or at least should, get bigger muscles

and this "laying on the floor while catching your breath" is KEY to becoming a fat-burning machine and getting ultra fit

i've been doing this style of training lately, and the difference is like night and day

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 06:59:46 PM »
sounds good man, and as long as your training loads increase you will, or at least should, get bigger muscles

and this "laying on the floor while catching your breath" is KEY to becoming a fat-burning machine and getting ultra fit

i've been doing this style of training lately, and the difference is like night and day

Thanks for the help!

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »
Nowadays I cannot go to the gym more than once a week. Not beacuse I have no time - I am just simply tired after work, it's cold and dark outside, sometimes I have a headache, sometimes there is something good in the TV etc-etc. So even if a try to go more frequently, finally there is always a week between my workouts. So i train chest, shoulders, biceps one day, one week later back and tris, one week later chest etc. again. And legs... well maybe once a months. And I look the same as when I trained 3 times a week.
I am a lifetime natural, so after all I am only hard, pumped, vascular when I am in the gym, so it doesn't matter... And at least I can be sure that my muscles regenerate.
You're lazy just admit it an stop trying to justify it. No one gives a shit about you anyway. HTH.
T

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »

Good advice but volume should be kept to a minimum to avoid overtraining.
O

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

chess315

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2012, 12:17:35 PM »
might not be close to optimal for bodybuilding but many top level powerlifters only train 2 times a week a bench day and squat/dead day you would produce results prolly more then most would think. I was a drunk for a year got down to about 170 or so and did my bench was around 185 after that I did 2-3 set of benchs and 2-3 sets of bent rows once a week in a couple months i was bench over 300 again trainingg 10-15 mintues 1 time a week

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 08:20:10 PM »

HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Well, I don't rightly know how funny it really is, but I can attest to truth that this style of training can be very difficult and satisfying.  Tonight I did two warm up sets of pulldowns and then launched into my only working set of that exercise.  I had my son assist me with negatives done in a drop set fashion until I reached a weight I was able to complete reps with by myself while resisting on the negative side of the lift.

I wanted to puke.  I had to rest (I am almost as old as Wes!) and after laying there for awhile I got up and did my single working set of barbell rows to failure, followed by five reps done in rest/pause style, followed by a single set of shrugs done to failure.  Again, I was beat.

Next up was a single negative/dropset run at the pec-dec followed instantly with  upright machine bench presses, with each rep resisted on the negative side with the added stress of my son pushing against the "bar" on the way down.  I dropped the weight a until I could complete five reps with negatives on my own.

That's it.

I have to say that I had an extra day of rest before hitting it today as I donated a double dose of red blood cells to the blood mobile yesterday and therefor had to skip a day. 

I have not mentioned poundage because one, I am a wimp now in my dotage and two, it feels heavy to me so it is heavy for me.   

I am going to continue with this method of training for at least a couple of months as I want to give it a chance to help me stay healthy and relatively well built and strong.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »

the headache is from not enough sugars

also cocoa can help with that the phosphorus will give you plenty of energy but dont use it everyday

being tired after work is something you have to battle taticly every day eating foods at different times , different amounts, maxing out calories or drinking alot more water, the variables are near endless but you will learn
A

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »
Coleman too trained only one time per week. You'll be fine.   Here he is training on a Tuesday.
a

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
The solution is simple, you must quit your job.