Author Topic: Shot put workout for punching power  (Read 13000 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Shot put workout for punching power
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »
...but everyone has an opinion and is ok.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 02:13:04 PM »
call me crazy... but i would not have been afraid of giving bruce lee a free shot...

what did he weigh? 160?

free shot to the face i mean (obviously a specific strike to the throat, eyes, groin, liver, solar plexus, etc would be dangerous if i wasn't defending myself)...

but with a 160lb as a stand up fighter he would not have underestimated me at given the notable weight difference

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 03:29:51 PM »
call me crazy... but i would not have been afraid of giving bruce lee a free shot...

what did he weigh? 160?

free shot to the face i mean (obviously a specific strike to the throat, eyes, groin, liver, solar plexus, etc would be dangerous if i wasn't defending myself)...

but with a 160lb as a stand up fighter he would not have underestimated me at given the notable weight difference

At his physical peak, Bruce weighed 129 lbs. I believe he was about 30 or 31 at the time.
That is according to documentaries featuring interviews with James Coburn, Dan Inosanto, his widow Linda, and KAJ.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 04:59:39 PM »

At his physical peak, Bruce weighed 129 lbs. I believe he was about 30 or 31 at the time.
That is according to documentaries featuring interviews with James Coburn, Dan Inosanto, his widow Linda, and KAJ.

hmm... i was 130

when i was like 12...

once again... maybe i'm full of shit, but i think he'd break his hand on my face...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »

hmm... i was 130

when i was like 12...

once again... maybe i'm full of shit, but i think he'd break his hand on my face...

There's a lot of believable accounts of Lee's toughness, but I'm sure, too, that a lot has been embellished, as is often the case with famous people who meet an "untimely demise" and become a bit glorified.

The footage of him at Ed Parker's Long Beach Internationals in '64 is usually cited as demonstrations of legitimate feats of strength and speed. Unfortunately, the only existing clip is less than ten minutes long, and really only depicts him doing his famous two-finger push-ups and 1-inch punch.
It would be nice to see some footage of him sparring or actually fighting.

Possible exaggerations aside, I believe he was a bad-ass.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2012, 06:13:32 PM »
maybe... but i can throw my 150lb sand bag over 15 feet...

i could grab a 130lb man by his wrists or ankles and slam him around like a doll...

130lbs is infantile to me

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2012, 01:33:28 AM »

There's a lot of believable accounts of Lee's toughness, but I'm sure, too, that a lot has been embellished, as is often the case with famous people who meet an "untimely demise" and become a bit glorified.

The footage of him at Ed Parker's Long Beach Internationals in '64 is usually cited as demonstrations of legitimate feats of strength and speed. Unfortunately, the only existing clip is less than ten minutes long, and really only depicts him doing his famous two-finger push-ups and 1-inch punch.
It would be nice to see some footage of him sparring or actually fighting.

Possible exaggerations aside, I believe he was a bad-ass.
I agree and he was ahead of his time in his thinking.. his system of Jun Fan Gung Fu:

1:Kicking range
2:Hand range
3:Trapping/infighting range
4:Grappling and Ground fighting range

Later called Jeet Kune Do as a way for your personal entwiklung and not a "style". Ok sure you can be BIG as a Bear woo but it does not all boil down to size.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2012, 01:39:38 AM »

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2012, 01:47:22 AM »
Of course it is a good system for smaller guys like me who have fast hands and feet.. and i like the strong Wing Chun element in there too. Ground fighting is also very important and i have seen with my own eyes how a big guy was put in a strangle hold and was as helpless as a new born baby. This was in a real fight and the smaller guy was very proficient in Judo. I am sure you have a solid punch Wooo at the end of your Beefy arm(and believe me i am not a dreamer) but always expect the "unexpected".

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2012, 02:29:05 AM »
I threw shot in track.  Difficult thing to do correctly.  U need good form, tork, leg strength and explosive power.  I didn't have any. :-\

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2012, 04:46:44 AM »
Of course it is a good system for smaller guys like me who have fast hands and feet.. and i like the strong Wing Chun element in there too. Ground fighting is also very important and i have seen with my own eyes how a big guy was put in a strangle hold and was as helpless as a new born baby. This was in a real fight and the smaller guy was very proficient in Judo. I am sure you have a solid punch Wooo at the end of your Beefy arm(and believe me i am not a dreamer) but always expect the "unexpected".

yeah... again, i may be full of shit here...

but i've been doing martial arts as an amateur and boxing since age 6...

i'd step into the rings against anyone without fear (even though i may lose)

think of me as a Roy Nelson without the mullet or gut or pale skin or..... well ok, i'm a white guy with a heck of a punch

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2012, 04:57:41 AM »
No Wooo your not full of shit...just being the Wooo Bear ... ;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2012, 05:40:29 AM »
No Wooo your not full of shit...just being the Wooo Bear ... ;D

HAHAHAHAHA...

no homo

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2012, 05:45:33 AM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2012, 05:47:03 AM »
I threw shot in track.  Difficult thing to do correctly.  U need good form, tork, leg strength and explosive power.  I didn't have any. :-\

;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2012, 09:06:24 AM »
WOOO:   That free shot of Bruce Lee's would probably be a heel of his hand into you nose. Being the much shorter man, Lee's upper angle would be almost perfect for breaking those nose (and surrounding area's) bones and driving them into the front of your brain. All resulting in internal bleeding of the brain, or an instant lobotomy. If not to the nose, then a under the chin blow (from Lee's better angle). Snapping the neck back, perhaps breaking the jaw pivot bones, overstress on the eye sockets, breaking/chipping teeth and if the tongue is not out of the way, cutting it badly...or off.

People forget that extreme power of the blunt force of the heel of the hand, always thinking closed fist. And you also save your knuckles that way. Try a quick and hard heel of the hand to the ribs sometime..should make a lasting point on anyone. Takes a certain amount of skill to use the heel correctly. Women are taught this stuff in some of the self defense classes  (though most are BS teaching classes).  

outby43 gives a great example of the form, tork, leg strength and explosive power of putting a shot. Which can also be used to describe  a  solid and powerful punch. Adding timing and quickness to both elements, to complete the process. Tork is not nearly talked about enough when it comes to fighting power. A punch will start from the ground up, in most cases. With the hips/lower back being a important element. Even turning the wrist, while striking a blow, can be important. Good Luck.
F

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 09:08:09 AM »
So I bought a new shot put... (my old one is a 10lber, but it was getting light so i bought a 16lber (olympic weight)) and used it in my sunday explosive workout (30x 10 seconds sprints pushing my grand caravan down the street (wife steering) & 4x superset of 4 different shot put throws for 10 reps each)...

Not only is the shot put a great way to increase peak punching power it's fucking fun... nothing reduces stress like chucking something heavy... personally, I do this at Woodbine beach near Toronto on the sand beside lake ontario... makes for a nice sunday.

is anyone else trying crazy shit like this? i'm going back to the boxing club near my house to have my right hand tested again... between the bulgarian bag and the shot put it's getting explosive as hell

i was a shot putter in hs and college.   

Another good exercise is the overhead toss.   Hold the shot w both hands  in front of you, squat down and explode overhead backwards overhead.   

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 01:21:08 PM »
WOOO:   That free shot of Bruce Lee's would probably be a heel of his hand into you nose. Being the much shorter man, Lee's upper angle would be almost perfect for breaking those nose (and surrounding area's) bones and driving them into the front of your brain. All resulting in internal bleeding of the brain, or an instant lobotomy. If not to the nose, then a under the chin blow (from Lee's better angle). Snapping the neck back, perhaps breaking the jaw pivot bones, overstress on the eye sockets, breaking/chipping teeth and if the tongue is not out of the way, cutting it badly...or off.

People forget that extreme power of the blunt force of the heel of the hand, always thinking closed fist. And you also save your knuckles that way. Try a quick and hard heel of the hand to the ribs sometime..should make a lasting point on anyone. Takes a certain amount of skill to use the heel correctly. Women are taught this stuff in some of the self defense classes  (though most are BS teaching classes).  

outby43 gives a great example of the form, tork, leg strength and explosive power of putting a shot. Which can also be used to describe  a  solid and powerful punch. Adding timing and quickness to both elements, to complete the process. Tork is not nearly talked about enough when it comes to fighting power. A punch will start from the ground up, in most cases. With the hips/lower back being a important element. Even turning the wrist, while striking a blow, can be important. Good Luck.

perhaps... but you have to land the shot...

bruce lee looks more like a older version of van damme... just a movie pussy

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
WOOO:  (just a though here, not a dis)     Either your underestimating Bruce Lee or over estimatimng your self.

And yes, Bruce Lee does look like an older version of Van Damme now..because Lee's been dead since 1973. Van Damme is returning to movies, after quite a long issue with drug abuse. An another health related issue.

Considering some of those super human feats, credited to select Asian masters, about their abilities and training methods; might relate that to BB'ing book/video's and how the Pro's are suppose to train. Both may hold a grain of truth or be absolute falsehoods..in either case, believe what you want to believe. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 08:28:48 AM »
Every art of combat is only as good as the man behind it. Well Bruce Lee was a very special martial artist who had a huge impact on millions of people. His methods and thinking were very much ahead of his times.. i also liked Ed Parker, American Kempo Karate. Also a very interesting man.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »
Donny: Ed Parker, from people who knew him (stuntmen, gripes, etc), a very regular and nice guy. His version of Kenpo was simple and functional for most Americans. Open handed, but still used weapons in some of his classes. Had a dojo in Pasadena,Ca before he died.

My first try at Karate was his Kenpo system, than to Mas Oyama's  shotokan (one of many versions) and finally Okinawan Te. Korean styles seem more popular today. Koreans and Japanese sensei's, from personal experience, can be a little more harsh (putting it mildly) with the more serious students. Koreans leading the pack. Probably learning to take punishment to give punishment..Asian and military ways, I guess. Never had a Chinese one. Filipino's teachers, pretty cool...just my view. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2012, 10:25:09 AM »
Donny: Ed Parker, from people who knew him (stuntmen, gripes, etc), a very regular and nice guy. His version of Kenpo was simple and functional for most Americans. Open handed, but still used weapons in some of his classes. Had a dojo in Pasadena,Ca before he died.

My first try at Karate was his Kenpo system, than to Mas Oyama's  shotokan (one of many versions) and finally Okinawan Te. Korean styles seem more popular today. Koreans and Japanese sensei's, from personal experience, can be a little more harsh (putting it mildly) with the more serious students. Koreans leading the pack. Probably learning to take punishment to give punishment..Asian and military ways, I guess. Never had a Chinese one. Filipino's teachers, pretty cool...just my view. Good Luck.
Oyama did learn Shotokan but later had difficulties with Funakoshis son Yoshitaka Funakoshi. He(Oyama) then found his own way "Kyoshinkia"..i do not like this art of Karate. I liked more Wado Ryu with itīs elements of Shindo yoshin Ryu Jui Jitsu and higher stances. I spoke to Suzuki Sensei on the phone some years ago(he lived in London). We spoke about the tai sabaki(body movements) of Wado Ryu. I have also a letter from him.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »
Oyama did learn Shotokan but later had difficulties with Funakoshis son Yoshitaka Funakoshi. He(Oyama) then found his own way "Kyoshinkia"..i do not like this art of Karate. I liked more Wado Ryu with itīs elements of Shindo yoshin Ryu Jui Jitsu and higher stances. I spoke to Suzuki Sensei on the phone some years ago(he lived in London). We spoke about the tai sabaki(body movements) of Wado Ryu. I have also a letter from him.

I took Oyama karate when i was 16 y/o.  Good stuff! 

Made it you yellow before I did something else but it was bad ass. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2012, 05:03:02 AM »
A good read...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master