Author Topic: On the fiscal cliff issue  (Read 1951 times)

Necrosis

• Getbig V
On the fiscal cliff issue
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:39:28 AM »
Why is it that none of the repubs here find it odd that the GOP have offered nothing? the simply want Obama to offer them what they want, doesn't it seem odd?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/12/02/on-the-fiscal-cliff-republicans-got-nothin.html

I can't see this working out for them.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: On the fiscal cliff issue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
Why is it that none of the repubs here find it odd that the GOP have offered nothing? the simply want Obama to offer them what they want, doesn't it seem odd?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/12/02/on-the-fiscal-cliff-republicans-got-nothin.html

The GOP is owned by lobbyists. There is maybe 10 honest people in that party left (make that 9 Ron Paul is retired).

Lobbyist dont want to raise taxes so the GOP doesnt want to raise taxes. The GOP is against the people.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:58:27 PM »

what has obama offered that they want?

just curious Ive been out of the loop for a little bit but from what Ive heard obama proposed more tax increases and didnt cut spending. I believe he cut projected spending for the future year not current spending.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 02:00:19 PM »
The GOP is owned by lobbyists. There is maybe 10 honest people in that party left (make that 9 Ron Paul is retired).

Lobbyist dont want to raise taxes so the GOP doesnt want to raise taxes. The GOP is against the people.
Are the dems owned by lobbyists as well?

"Lobbyist dont want to cut spending so the [dems] doesnt want to raise taxes. The [dems] is against the people."

This not calling ppl names is pretty rough especially with ppl like you around here.;)

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
Are the dems owned by lobbyists as well?

"Lobbyist dont want to cut spending so the [dems] doesnt want to raise taxes. The [dems] is against the people."

This not calling ppl names is pretty rough especially with ppl like you around here.;)

Many dem are owned by lobbyists as well. No saints here only sinners.

However spending usually benefits poor people so thats why repub wants to cut here.

Right back at ya ;)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »
Many dem are owned by lobbyists as well. No saints here only sinners.

However spending usually benefits poor people so thats why repub wants to cut here.

Right back at ya ;)
hahah so you think spending so much that we will have to raise taxes on everyone to get out of debt is benefiting poor ppl?

There is a time and place to increase taxes but it is not when there is monumental amounts of wasteful spending in the govt that can be cut.

Sorry but I dont agree with taking the hard earned money away from anyone when we can cut wasteful spending in the govt first.

After thats all done then Ill gladly call for tax hikes but until then its idiotic to call for tax hikes before spending cuts.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=447769.25

spending cuts have a bigger increase on the bottom line then tax hikes.

Therefore we would get more bang for our buck cutting spending over raising taxes.

Why are you guys no yelling for cutting spending first?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=447769.25

spending cuts have a bigger increase on the bottom line then tax hikes.

Therefore we would get more bang for our buck cutting spending over raising taxes.

Why are you guys no yelling for cutting spending first?

he offered spending cuts, what the GOP want is for Obama to cut certain programs so they don't have to come out and say it, it's quite obvious. They have offered nothing, not a fucking thing, they want obama to take all the heat and keep offering more and more concessions to them.

Spending cuts however have a impact on those programs, so while they are needed, they have to be intelligently done and in combination with increased revenue. I think more spending in infrastruture needs to be made as it creates jobs and has salutory benefits.

I would want massive reductions in military spending not programs people paid into. It has to be both, if money is made in the US, you shouldnt be allowed to hold it offshore to avoid taxes for example. The money was made using the services the US taxpayers provided, seems kinda dirtbagish to me.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 04:11:34 PM »
he offered spending cuts, what the GOP want is for Obama to cut certain programs so they don't have to come out and say it, it's quite obvious. They have offered nothing, not a fucking thing, they want obama to take all the heat and keep offering more and more concessions to them.
What spending cuts did he offer necrosis?

Like I said from what I heard he offered cuts to future proposed spending not to actual spending that occurs now.

Spending cuts however have a impact on those programs, so while they are needed, they have to be intelligently done and in combination with increased revenue. I think more spending in infrastruture needs to be made as it creates jobs and has salutory benefits.
Lets be totally honest necrosis, do you honestly believe that there arent millions/billions that cant be cut from govt spending that wont effect the employment of govt employees?

These ppl you want to raise taxes on made their money honestly and through hard work. Wouldnt it be alot more fair to let everyone keep their money until all or the majority of wasteful spending in the govt has been cut?

why then are you yelling for taking money away from ppl that rightfully earned it first instead of cutting wasteful spending?

I would want massive reductions in military spending not programs people paid into. It has to be both, if money is made in the US, you shouldnt be allowed to hold it offshore to avoid taxes for example. The money was made using the services the US taxpayers provided, seems kinda dirtbagish to me.
That fine what does that have to do with raising taxes?

you want tax reform not raising taxes if thats your stance...

you really need to rethink your stance and realize that the govt is extremely wasteful and needs to cut back on its spending before they start taking away any more money from the citizens who earned it legally and through their own hard work.

If you want tax reform thats fine, but why then are you ranting and raving about tax hikes?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
What spending cuts did he offer necrosis?

Like I said from what I heard he offered cuts to future proposed spending not to actual spending that occurs now.
Lets be totally honest necrosis, do you honestly believe that there arent millions/billions that cant be cut from govt spending that wont effect the employment of govt employees?

These ppl you want to raise taxes on made their money honestly and through hard work. Wouldnt it be alot more fair to let everyone keep their money until all or the majority of wasteful spending in the govt has been cut?

why then are you yelling for taking money away from ppl that rightfully earned it first instead of cutting wasteful spending?
That fine what does that have to do with raising taxes?

you want tax reform not raising taxes if thats your stance...

you really need to rethink your stance and realize that the govt is extremely wasteful and needs to cut back on its spending before they start taking away any more money from the citizens who earned it legally and through their own hard work.

If you want tax reform thats fine, but why then are you ranting and raving about tax hikes?

I wouldnt say I'm ranting and raving, I pay 50% income tax currently. I however see the inequality being created in the States, its actually the worst in the department in the developed world. The tax code benefits the rich far more then anyone else, they have far more benefits which are unearned then any other segment of the US citizenry. Wasteful spending is part of it, however, the GOP have offered nothing, not a damn thing. They don't want to show their true colors, they want to cut everything but the military, they want revenue from anyone but the rich.

Everyone makes it sound like those on welfare are living the life. I have a cousin on it his whole life and let me tell you while he sits back like a big ol fat cat with his hand me down funiture, old torn clothing and 300 a month food/entertainment bill I grow envious. I am all for him getting a job but he is unhirable, do we let him die?

this is what I don't get you are fine with the rich paying a lower tax rate then someone in the middle class, even more striking if the offshore accounts, kickbacks etc are factored in yet you don't see the middle class family as having worked just as hard?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »
I wouldnt say I'm ranting and raving, I pay 50% income tax currently. I however see the inequality being created in the States, its actually the worst in the department in the developed world. The tax code benefits the rich far more then anyone else, they have far more benefits which are unearned then any other segment of the US citizenry. Wasteful spending is part of it, however, the GOP have offered nothing, not a damn thing. They don't want to show their true colors, they want to cut everything but the military, they want revenue from anyone but the rich.

Everyone makes it sound like those on welfare are living the life. I have a cousin on it his whole life and let me tell you while he sits back like a big ol fat cat with his hand me down funiture, old torn clothing and 300 a month food/entertainment bill I grow envious. I am all for him getting a job but he is unhirable, do we let him die?

this is what I don't get you are fine with the rich paying a lower tax rate then someone in the middle class, even more striking if the offshore accounts, kickbacks etc are factored in yet you don't see the middle class family as having worked just as hard?

The tax code has "the rich" paying more taxes than the overwhelming majority of the country.  High income earners shoulder the bulk of the tax burden in this country.  Nearly half of all income earners don't even pay federal income taxes, and those people are not "the rich." 

Also, the "rich" includes numerous small businesses that really are not rich at all. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
The tax code has "the rich" paying more taxes than the overwhelming majority of the country.  High income earners shoulder the bulk of the tax burden in this country.  Nearly half of all income earners don't even pay federal income taxes, and those people are not "the rich." 

Also, the "rich" includes numerous small businesses that really are not rich at all. 

percentage, the amount is meaningless.

if you can only see in black and white then we can not continue arguing. Seriously, there is no reason the rich shouldn't pay percentage wise what the middle class family pays. There is no reason at all. The people not paying requires more in depth discussion on the dynamics of that particular issue.

Small businesses get quite a few tax benefits.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 05:15:43 PM »
Really? b/c both Romney and Ryan were for simplifying the tax code and eliminating loop holes...THATS WHAT YOURE CALLING FOR!!!!

Ive asked MULTIPLE TIMES NOW NECROSIS, what spending cuts have the dems proposed?
 why wont you answer my question?
If you truely believe that youre a brainwashed liberal who needs to quit drinking the kool aid.

why is he unhireable necrosis? if there is a valid reason than thats fine but lets be honest and realize that the majority of ppl on welfare dont have to be on welfare.

If there are reasons like mental illness, physical disability thats fine but those arent the majority of the ranks of welfare recepients.

First the middle class abides by the same tax codes the rich do. They have the same opportunity to take advantage of those loop holes as well. Second I NEVER NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER said I didnt think they didnt work just as hard to earn there money...YOU GET THAT SHIT THROUGH YOU THICK SKULL!!!

Im fine with raising taxes, Im fine with cuttin gloopholes but NOT WHEN THE GOVT IS SO WASTEFUL...

why do you want to take more money away from ppl who it rightfully belongs to supply an extremely wasteful govt?

I need to understand that part necrosis.

we can both agree that the govt is incredibly wasteful and inefficient yet you would rather raise the taxes and take hard earned money away from ppl that righfully deserve it instead of cutting waste fust and then assessing the situation to see if taking others money away is necessary, how is that fair?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=447769.25#lastPost

as you can see necrosis spending cuts will effect the bottom line much greater than tax hikes or increasing revenue.

So why not put your efforts towards cutting the wasteful/inefficient parts of the govt all around before trying to take away hard earned money away from anyone?

I dont wany anybody to have to give up more money then is needed to run the govt. I think we both can agree that the govt is extremely wasteful and can afford to cut a lot of fat off without effecting employment.

So why not cut that first?

Thats what I dont understand Necrosis, you seem to have deep seated dislike/hatred for "rich" ppl which causes you to want to punish them by taking more of their money.

Why would you rather take hard earned money away from ppl who it rightfully belongs before you cut the fat from the govt?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »
percentage, the amount is meaningless.

if you can only see in black and white then we can not continue arguing. Seriously, there is no reason the rich shouldn't pay percentage wise what the middle class family pays. There is no reason at all. The people not paying requires more in depth discussion on the dynamics of that particular issue.

Small businesses get quite a few tax benefits.

It's percentage.  It's total amount.  Hardly meaningless.  They (high income earners and high net worth individuals) already pay their "fair share."  Those are just the facts. 

What middle class families are you talking about?  The ones who pay no federal income taxes? 

What kind of tax benefits are you talking about for small businesses?  They have enormous government expenses.  They're already paying more than most lower income earners. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
It's percentage.  It's total amount.  Hardly meaningless.  They (high income earners and high net worth individuals) already pay their "fair share."  Those are just the facts.  

What middle class families are you talking about?  The ones who pay no federal income taxes?  

What kind of tax benefits are you talking about for small businesses?  They have enormous government expenses.  They're already paying more than most lower income earners.  

since "fair share" is always a judgment call you can't call it a "fact" unless you're saying the statement is in fact a correct representation of your opinion

If you want to talk about actual facts then how about the fact that a recent poll shows that 60% of Americans are in favor of raising taxes on the wealthy (and many other polls have shown this too)  http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/84319.html

Repubs are going to lose this one but first they are going to bitch and moan and  cry like a bunch of 3 year olds who don't want to eat their veggies.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 06:12:44 PM »
as far as i can see both sides are making statements that they are willing to make very modest compromises in order to come to a deal.

president obama has back off his desire to let tax rates increase to the clinton levels on the wealthiest 3%.  instead he has proposed meeting halfway between the clinton levels and the bush levels.

the GOP is saying that they are willing to go for the modest tax increase so long as they get spending cuts on medicare and social security.

there is also some talk about closing loopholes for upper earners, which both sides seem to be interested in considering.

cuts seem to be around 500 billion to each military, medicare, and social security so a total of 1.5 trillion spread out over ten? years.

i expect they will get this deal done, or something very similar to it, before the year ends.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »
as far as i can see both sides are making statements that they are willing to make very modest compromises in order to come to a deal.

president obama has back off his desire to let tax rates increase to the clinton levels on the wealthiest 3%.  instead he has proposed meeting halfway between the clinton levels and the bush levels.

the GOP is saying that they are willing to go for the modest tax increase so long as they get spending cuts on medicare and social security.

there is also some talk about closing loopholes for upper earners, which both sides seem to be interested in considering.

cuts seem to be around 500 billion to each military, medicare, and social security so a total of 1.5 trillion spread out over ten? years.

i expect they will get this deal done, or something very similar to it, before the year ends.

just curious where you found this info

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »
just curious where you found this info
 i saw it on CNN yesterday. but now that i think about it maybe it was only in regards to the estate tax and not the uppr income tax.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »
 i saw it on CNN yesterday. but now that i think about it maybe it was only in regards to the estate tax and not the uppr income tax.

I haven't seen anything about them compromising on the income tax part which is why I was wondering

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »
yeah thank you for bringing that up because now that i think about it what i saw was about the estate tax and not the income tax rates for people earning 250k.

although i think i did see something about the 350k+ bracket , and obama wanting to compromise in regards a mid point between clinton and bush levels.

either way, i kind of just hope the fiscal cliff hits and all the tax rates go up on everybody and the massive sequestration goe sinto effect as well.   thats pretty much what really needs to be done.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 09:20:58 PM »

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 09:33:26 PM »

president obama has back off his desire to let tax rates increase to the clinton levels on the wealthiest 3%.  instead he has proposed meeting halfway between the clinton levels and the bush levels.

Is it my imagination or is that % getting gradually HIGHER?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 03:53:52 AM »
hahah so you think spending so much that we will have to raise taxes on everyone to get out of debt is benefiting poor ppl?

There is a time and place to increase taxes but it is not when there is monumental amounts of wasteful spending in the govt that can be cut.

Sorry but I dont agree with taking the hard earned money away from anyone when we can cut wasteful spending in the govt first.

After thats all done then Ill gladly call for tax hikes but until then its idiotic to call for tax hikes before spending cuts.

Its hard to cut spending imagine the political dogfight on were to cut.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 03:57:46 AM »

Of course they pay the most they own the fucking country!!

Its like saying a king pays more than a peasant.