Author Topic: static holds and negatives  (Read 1621 times)

wild willie

• Getbig V
static holds and negatives
« on: December 04, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »
Anyone here ever use either or both of these methods to shock muscles?

I have been using static holds on pulldowns and calf raises and concentration curls.

I hold the weight in the fully contracted position for several seconds before lowering the weight slowly.

Good way to catch the muscles off guard.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: static holds and negatives
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:50:09 PM »
I like pure negatives which i do now and again at home on my parallel bars(pure negatives only doing the negative phase) i find these good to do even on my own as i can raise myself in the upper position safely. ( bench press you need a partner). I also do these on chins. Static holds are more an isometric contraction and the way you do them is very hard lowering slowly also..intensity to say the least. I know this more as "Isometric stops" doing a set to failure then negative reps stopping at a third of the way down ,two third down and close to the bottom. at each of these positions along the range of motion you drive hard attempting to reverse the movement of the barbell or whatever for 3 seconds..your partner should prevent any upward movement by applying pressure to the bar, if necessary in each position. I also like super slow reps..

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: static holds and negatives
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »
i use negatives once a month at most (have never gotten that much out of them vs just going to failure)... i've never bothered with static lifts