Author Topic: what causes nerve damage in aging bodybuilders arms etc  (Read 11584 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
what causes nerve damage in aging bodybuilders arms etc
« on: December 10, 2012, 04:35:39 AM »
like colemans shrinking arm, it has now also affected dexter

is it just from training for too long?

inevitable?

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
Re: what causes nerve damage in aging bodybuilders arms etc
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:39:39 AM »
When Victor Richard was on RX radio he said; why not call Ronnies "nerve damage" by its real name..,,namely a microstroke. Victors father is o doctor, and Vic has read psychology, and is an educated/informad person overall, so I think he could very well be bullseye on this one. Ronnie also seems to sludder quite a bit whenever he tries to talk, wich concurrs with the above.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 05:27:26 AM »
When Victor Richard was on RX radio he said; why not call Ronnies "nerve damage" by its real name..,,namely a microstroke. Victors father is o doctor, and Vic has read psychology, and is an educated/informad person overall, so I think he could very well be bullseye on this one. Ronnie also seems to sludder quite a bit whenever he tries to talk, wich concurrs with the above.

Why bring up Victor Richards?

Why not just state that it could be a microstroke, and then explaining what a microstroke is.

Who cares if Vic read psychology / is an educated / informed person overall?

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 05:34:51 AM »
Why bring up Victor Richards?

Why not just state that it could be a microstroke, and then explaining what a microstroke is.

Who cares if Vic read psychology / is an educated / informed person overall?
Why not he is a bodybuilder!

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 05:37:58 AM »
i think it is simply from training too long.

little injuries lead to it i think.

Not training too long.  Its the constant pounding on the body that he went through.  Ignoring pains in the neck and low back.  He is probably experiencing neurogenic atrophy.  Want a great example of what this looks like?  Look up pics of the wrestler Paul Orndorph and his right arm.

The amount of shit Ronnie is/was on allows him to keep more muscle.  I do not think all his problems are due to the dreaded Palumboism disease

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:42:17 AM »
i thought palumboism was just a combination of the hgh insuline gut and atrophy in the limbs brought on by mysterious neural factors

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 05:57:49 AM »
A guy down the block has that. His one arm, delt and trap on one side is atrophied. He said it was from nerve damage. He is in his late 40's and has been lifting weights for his whole life.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 06:05:50 AM »
like colemans shrinking arm, it has now also affected dexter

is it just from training for too long?

inevitable?
.   Training for too long causes wear and tear, that leads to injuries... Working out around injuries sooner or later will lead you to nerve damage ... Atrophy to muscles.   

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 06:08:12 AM »

Do you mean a TIA aka mini-stroke?

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:08:46 AM »
Do you mean a TIA aka mini-stroke?

possible i just copy plastered this from another forum

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:14:48 AM »
always training heavy, beyond functional strength was never meant for the human body.

most athletes who does strength and conditioning year in and year out doesn't ever encounter this problem. even older athletes. it's because they train for function, not as heavy as possible every single workout.

bodybuilders basically does everything wrong and bad for their bodies. Lot's of heavy machine workouts, low reps, very high protein diet etc.  this shit was just put in place by the bodybuilding supplement industry to make more money and sell equipment. some people fail to see what most industries are willing to do and say to extract more money out of their customers.

the best thing I ever done is to work out with mostly dumbbells and higher reps and never worry about protein. I probably get no more than 100g per day at the most.

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 06:37:30 AM »
possible i just copy plastered this from another forum

Understood, then that wouldn't fit, unless the person had paralysis, then that wouldn't even be a TIA. TIA symptoms resolve.
Possibly injury to a joint preventing training of that muscle group? Could be nerve damage or perhaps ones body being in a catabolic state leading to muscle wasting in the limbs? Kovacs, Palumbo etc...

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
whats a bit worrysome,is my left biceps i cant flex properly anymore since some while.

same for other areas.

i guess this is how it starts.

most shocking was one time after something went wrong on benchpress, i couldnt flex my left chest and left traps at all, it was as if theyre not there.

not sure whatg it is, but even longer recovery times dont seem to help.

maybe half year off training would fix this, i know when i go off everything, diet and training aND All, i come back and everything feels fresh and feel the muscles better.

Could be, but be aware that for the most part it could have always been more prone to that.
My left side doesn't feel as responsive as my right though it's stronger and faster.
My left leg is thinner and has always been like that, one of the reasons is that it's longer.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 07:15:05 AM »
a lot of people are stronger at left hand bicep curls even tho they're right handed

mysteries of life

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 07:50:09 AM »
Nerve damage from lifting is real. I trained for bodybuilding and powerlifting meets for around 25 years. I am now 39 and only casually lift anymore. Kids, work, house etc. I always trained heavy... 6 rep failures were my weapon of choice even while dieting. Had local success at bodybuilding, but national success in powerlifting.

Did one cycle in my life at 17 and realized the amount of drugs needed for bodybuilding success, and switched to powerlifting and natural bodybuilding... still always lifted heavy...and now...

(Sorry for the long set up) I have tingling hands/forearms feet/lower legs. I been through every test there is for illness, deficiencies, you name it. All normal. Neurologist blame neck and lower back nerve damage from the years of lifting. In my case no atrophy yet... more of a constant inconvienience. Like permanent carpel tunnel.

I still function ok just use Tylenol when I have a really rough day. Moral of the story is even with competitive success, heavy lifting (I mean correct lifting too not cheats etc) is not good for you long term. In case if I had continued drug use along with my style of lifting... I prolly would be all shriveled and hurting even worse.
$

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 08:05:32 AM »
Nerve damage from lifting is real. I trained for bodybuilding and powerlifting meets for around 25 years. I am now 39 and only casually lift anymore. Kids, work, house etc. I always trained heavy... 6 rep failures were my weapon of choice even while dieting. Had local success at bodybuilding, but national success in powerlifting.

Did one cycle in my life at 17 and realized the amount of drugs needed for bodybuilding success, and switched to powerlifting and natural bodybuilding... still always lifted heavy...and now...

(Sorry for the long set up) I have tingling hands/forearms feet/lower legs. I been through every test there is for illness, deficiencies, you name it. All normal. Neurologist blame neck and lower back nerve damage from the years of lifting. In my case no atrophy yet... more of a constant inconvienience. Like permanent carpel tunnel.

I still function ok just use Tylenol when I have a really rough day. Moral of the story is even with competitive success, heavy lifting (I mean correct lifting too not cheats etc) is not good for you long term. In case if I had continued drug use along with my style of lifting... I prolly would be all shriveled and hurting even worse.

Agree 100% with this, and galeniko.

I had the same thing...lots of powerlifting led to a neck problem (from bridging on the bench press), which caused some nerve damage to the right side shoulder internal and external rotators. Next thing you know, my shoulder is unstable, then it gets hurt because it's unstable because my rotators couldn't fire properly. It was just 100lb dumbell warm-ups, but they did me in. I tried like crazy to rehab it, strengthen rotators, build it back up...nothing. I'd do 30 minutes of activation, foam rolling, stretching, all kinds of crazy stuff...nothing. I was spending more time warming up than I was lifting. It was getting stupid and out of control. I just looked at myself one day and said..."what the fuck are you doing?". I'm not going to win a national meet, and even if I did, I'd probably permantely fuck myself up doing it. I just don't have the genetics, but I suspect most don't.

I can't go above a certain weight when lifting now. Too risky.

Now I lift like a girl, I'm slowly building up my right side to get better symmetry with the left side, and it's working slowly but surely, but it'll never come back. I live with what I've done to my body every time I look in the mirror. But I will never powerlift again. I missed it a lot at first. But now it's fading away, and I'm moving on to other things. Lots of reps, light weights...the body actually looks a lot better. I'm way weaker, but I actually LOOK stronger, to the average person.

Honestly...heavy weights are stupid. Unless you just want to lift for a few years, get good, then give it all up. But if you want to lift long-term, you should really try to lay off the heavy weights. The risk is not worth the reward.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 08:10:52 AM »
It is not normal to lie on a bench and squeeze yourself between it and a 300 pound barbell week after week.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »

you mean studder interesting point though.
F

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »
you mean studder interesting point though.

ah, yes, "studder".... very helpful. thanks.

::)

French

• Getbig IV
  • Solana @ 2000$
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »
 :(
$

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »
looking forward to his 2013 comeback.  philsulina and kaj better watch out.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 12:13:18 PM »
if you look at a lot of people, you can see imbalances from one side of their body to the other.  Faces aren't symmetrical on one side.  I've seen girls with boobs that weren't quite identical.

Now, you inject a person with minor imbalances with enough growth hormone - you're growing bone, muscle, goodness knows what else...  then you diet this person down and prance them around nekkid in posing trunks... you're going to see inconsistencies in development. 

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 12:15:13 PM »
The fact is , if he was still in good shape and able to compete he would have been in this show, especially for $75,000.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »
To hell in a handbasket in a New York minute.

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
i am 100% certain Ronnie used a lot of synthol back in the day.

As for the nerve damage the drugs and heavy training, the human body isn't designed to tolerate either for sustained periods.
Trans Milkshake.