Author Topic: Thinking of buying some $500 alden dress shoes what say u?  (Read 8859 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Thinking of buying some $500 alden dress shoes what say u?
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 05:54:44 AM »
If you can afford them get them. When decent running shoes are $100 plus I'm not surprised at the cost of good dress shoes. I spent $135 on dress shoes 25 years ago and they still look great. A little kiwi and a spit shine makes them look like new.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 06:08:36 AM »
Gotta a lotta highfalutin metros in this thread.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 07:31:19 AM »
Mark Nason is absolute shit.  Hope this helps.

The closest your broke ass ever came to a Nason is when you asked " what size would like to try, sir?

You're a phag, know this helps.

THE BEEF

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »
The closest your broke ass ever came to a Nason is when you asked " what size would like to try, sir?

THE BEEF
::)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 07:58:57 AM »
Cheap leather, horrible style. Reeks of Affliction, Tap Out, Audiger morons.  It really is awful quality.

Bingo.  It is up there with the douchery of the Ed Hardy shit.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 08:07:20 AM »
It's funny, I don't have too many nice articles of clothing, because of my line of work, and general lack of discipline in taking care of it, but I do buy my wife nice things, and myself from time to time.  But, in saying that, one thing I've noticed, the only people who know what high fashion/nice things are, are those who know what it is.  I have some cool watches, that some people I hang around with have no idea what they are.  I don't flash anything, like keep gesturing with my watch clad hand, but no one ever notices unless you're a douche and try and make them notice.  Mostly it's about treating yourself to something quality made that you feel good about wearing.  I have some Hermes ties that are old, but still look good today.  Quality made items that don't jump ship at every fashion craze, will always be in style.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 08:23:24 AM »
It's funny, I don't have too many nice articles of clothing, because of my line of work, and general lack of discipline in taking care of it, but I do buy my wife nice things, and myself from time to time.  But, in saying that, one thing I've noticed, the only people who know what high fashion/nice things are, are those who know what it is.  I have some cool watches, that some people I hang around with have no idea what they are.  I don't flash anything, like keep gesturing with my watch clad hand, but no one ever notices unless you're a douche and try and make them notice.  Mostly it's about treating yourself to something quality made that you feel good about wearing.  I have some Hermes ties that are old, but still look good today.  Quality made items that don't jump ship at every fashion craze, will always be in style.

Just like women who spend countless thousands on shoes like it is a necessity but then question why I would spend a few thousand on a watch.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 09:43:31 AM »
Gotta a lotta highfalutin metros in this thread.

yes Butch
c

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 09:49:39 AM »
They are 100 percent made in America and are much, much higher quality than anything from any other country.  

"American shoes" LOL
when someone talks about shoes he usually talks about Italian shoes.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 09:50:39 AM »
Best shoes in the world are handmade British shoes.  Won't tell you where though.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »
now that i will become a big time GB poster and all that, plus a recent promotion, have lead me to believe i need to get some nice dress shoes

any opinions on the $500 aldens ? classy guys in the forum please chime in
should i go for a balmoral, blucher...
nothing wrong with good dress shoes makes the man but no reason to spend 500 clams some are just overpriced because of the name.. i alfani dress shoes great fit
good price. I have a few pair oldest pair 9 years old still looks great leather holds up no cracks
p

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 09:58:48 AM »

THE BEEF
Not true its because he couldnt find a pair to match his overalls
p

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »
I had to google Alden - never heard of them. Nice looking shoes, and expensive, too. I have a pair of penny loafers that I break out once a year for a dressy occasion, so I'm not much of a clothes horse.  ;D

Google

"shoes expensive" and then post.."i wear XXXX shoes, they cost 600 dollars"

Getbig's billionaires at it again

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »

"American shoes" LOL
when someone talks about shoes he usually talks about Italian shoes.

::)

Wrong.

I have plenty of Pradas, Guccis and Ferragamos and they are shit compared to Alden.  Hope this helps.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 10:29:22 AM »
nothing wrong with good dress shoes makes the man but no reason to spend 500 clams some are just overpriced because of the name.. i alfani dress shoes great fit
good price. I have a few pair oldest pair 9 years old still looks great leather holds up no cracks
If you knew how the shoe was made and the construction process involved, let alone the quality of the hide, you would find that 500 dollars is rather a bargain for such quality.  They will last a life time.
Seriously, when you buy an Alden, you buy it for life.  This is the way it used to be before Cheap shit from China took over and the throw away society became a mainstay.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2012, 10:33:42 AM »
Best shoes in the world are handmade British shoes.  Won't tell you where though.
English shoes are great.  John Lobb, my personal favorite is Henry Maxwell, Edward Greene is top notch as is Grenson.  George Cleverly is probably the best shoe maker in all of England.

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »

I own several pair of Church's, had the leather soles replaced by thin black rubber ones. Still not convinced about the quality though, wouldn't recommend them.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2012, 10:38:16 AM »
I own several pair of Church's, had the leather soles replaced by thin black rubber ones. Still not convinced about the quality though, wouldn't recommend them.
You`d have to go with Church`s that are around 20-40 plus years old for quality.  The old hides were top grained. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2012, 10:40:12 AM »
Prada owns Church`s now and ever since they have purposely decided to cheapen the brand by lowering the quality.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 10:42:25 AM »
Here's what I know about my dress shoes:

One pair is black.
One pair is brown.
Both are worn on my feet.
Both cost me about $50/pair.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2012, 11:23:21 AM »
As someone else mentioned.  People in the know will comment on them.  I have one pair of special shoes.  Cost me a lot.  When i wear them people comment.  Chicks will comment, dudes will ask me where I got them.  You can wear the cheap everyday shoes you get from Macy's or Aldo, but wear special shoes and people take notice.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2012, 11:29:28 AM »
As someone else mentioned.  People in the know will comment on them.  I have one pair of special shoes.  Cost me a lot.  When i wear them people comment.  Chicks will comment, dudes will ask me where I got them.  You can wear the cheap everyday shoes you get from Macy's or Aldo, but wear special shoes and people take notice.

I find it funny that your cheap, everyday shoes comes from Macy's or Aldo.

Cheap shoes come from Walmart, Target, Sketcher's, Payless, Burlington Coat Factory, etc.....they cost $20-$50 LOL.

EH

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
i thought you meant Aldo's... i was gonna say get'em.. but then i thought, wtf Aldo's are 500? i have a few that are 200... then i looked for Alden........ and i am not impressed :/ get yourself 3 pair of aldo's instead.....  or better yet, a pair of Ferragamo's.

american made shoes... ha!

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
In defense of the Alden's. Your paying for the little things like the way they handle a stich or the transition between certain parts of the boot, sole and heel construction, etc..... The quality of leather is huge thing when looking at many goods, it may not seem all that different just reading about it, but it's huge when you actually have goods in hand.

Also, if you take care of them, and resole them and they last many seasons, you really haven't spent all that much when you look at the prorated cost.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2012, 02:45:20 PM »
I entertained getting a pair of shoes made for me while in Florence. They mold it to your feet then ship them to you. I wish I would've bought them now.