Author Topic: CT Shooting - Massive Shooting at School - 27 killed, 20 children  (Read 86141 times)

Conker

• Getbig IV
  • looks like you went for the overcooked potato look
Re: CT Shooting - Massive Shooting at School - 27 killed, 20 children
« Reply #1350 on: December 24, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
Only 6 times greater? that's a huge difference and your violent crime right is higher than ours per 100,000 , we're not even on this list's top 10 

I've already explained why violent crime figs country to country are deemed pretty useless for comparison.

"The comparison of violent crime statistics between countries is usually problematic, due to the way different countries classify crime.[2] Valid comparisons require that similar offences between jurisdictions be compared. Often this is not possible because crime statistics aggregate equivalent offences in such different ways that make it difficult or impossible to obtain a valid comparison."

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1351 on: December 24, 2012, 01:38:25 PM »

I would say they are pro second amendment however the numbers speak for themselves and can be backed up by other sources.

CDC, Task Force on Community Preventive Services, “First Reports Evaluating the Effectiveness of
Strategies for Preventing Violence: Firearms Laws”, Oct 3, 2003 – a systematic review of 51 studies that
evaluated the effects of selected firearms laws on violence  -The U.S. government “found insufficient evidence to determine the effectiveness
of any of the firearms laws or combinations of laws reviewed on violent outcomes.”

That's the CDC too boot

Automatics are for all intents & purposes ' illegal ' you can buy them albeit they are cost prohibitive for anyone except the wealthy you also need a $200 ATF tax stamp and their permission to go to your home and make sure it's there and as is, along with a class 3 license . And the guns all use at Sandy Hook were semi-automatic. And a total ban on all semiautomatics wouldn't have prevented this nothing will because of the sheer randomness of these types of attacks

As our friends, my wife and I discussed last night, the focus should not be on gun control because that is not the problem when it comes to horrific events like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary School. What we should be discussing is how to repair our broken mental health care system. The young man who shot all those people was mentally ill....we should not ignore this. Apparently, his mother was trying to get him help, including setting up the possibility of having him institutionalized if necessary. Getting help for a mentally ill adult is nearly impossible under current laws. The patient has to agree to treatment or commitment. More often than not, they are off their meds and feel as if there is nothing wrong with them, so they refuse treatment. It isn't until they go off the deep end and commit a crime that the law steps in. By then, it is often too late, as it was for all those innocent victims and the shooter at Sandy Hook.

A former acquaintance of ours had an adult son who suffered from paranoid schizophrenia. Her son was living at home. He was off his meds and as his condition worsened she was attempting to get him into an in treatment facility for some time without any success. He certainly had no intention of committing himself. One evening the mother was sitting at the kitchen table. Her son went into the other room and then returned with a rifle and shot her in the back of the head. He's institutionalized now and his mother is dead. This is a result which might have been avoided if it had been possible for the mother to get her son the help he needed in time.

As with the Sandy Hook massacre, the gun didn't shoot itself. If there were no such thing as a gun, the mother in the situation above could have been stabbed or beat to death by her son. Clearly, the main problem wasn't the gun. Likewise the main concern with what happened at Sandy Hook should be how to attempt to prevent such things happening in the future. However in this case, a semi-automatic weapon facilitated the shooters success at taking out 20 children and 7 adults. Without that semi-automatic weapon the carnage would have been almost nil by comparison. Still, we should not forget that the young man who committed this horrendous act had severe mental issues. It is possible that had his mother been successful at getting him the help he needed, those 27 people would still be alive today.  

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1352 on: December 24, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »
As our friends, my wife and I discussed last night, the focus should not be on gun control because that is not the problem when it comes to horrific events like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary School. What we should be discussing is how to repair our broken mental health care system. The young man who shot all those people was mentally ill....we should not ignore this. Apparently, his mother was trying to get him help, including setting up the possibility of having him institutionalized if necessary. Getting help for a mentally ill adult is nearly impossible under current laws. The patient has to agree to treatment or commitment. More often than not, they are off their meds and feel as if there is nothing wrong with them, so they refuse treatment. It isn't until they go off the deep end and commit a crime that the law steps in. By then, it is often too late, as it was for all those innocent victims and the shooter at Sandy Hook.

A former acquaintance of ours had an adult son who suffered from paranoid schizophrenia. Her son was living at home. He was off his meds and as his condition worsened she was attempting to get him into an in treatment facility for some time without any success. He certainly had no intention of committing himself. One evening the mother was sitting at the kitchen table. Her son went into the other room and then returned with a rifle and shot her in the back of the head. He's institutionalized now and his mother is dead. This is a result which might have been avoided if it had been possible for the mother to get her son the help he needed in time.

As with the Sandy Hook massacre, the gun didn't shoot itself. If there were no such thing as a gun, the mother in the situation above could have been stabbed or beat to death by her son. Clearly, the main problem wasn't the gun. Likewise the main concern with what happened at Sandy Hook should be how to attempt to prevent such things happening in the future. However in this case, a semi-automatic weapon facilitated the shooters success at taking out 20 children and 7 adults. Without that semi-automatic weapon the carnage would have been almost nil by comparison. Still, we should not forget that the young man who committed this horrendous act had severe mental issues. It is possible that had his mother been successful at getting him the help he needed, those 27 people would still be alive today.  

Just for the sake of argument, your friend might still be alive if there wasn't a gun in the house.  I know what you are going to say, if he didn't have a rifle he would have used a knife or a baseball bat or something else, but a gun makes all so much easier, with those other thing you have to get up close and personal and you might actually survive.  Anyways why would you have a gun around if you have someone with mental problems living with you? 

Again with the Sandy Hook, you state the problem wasn't the gun, he would have killed his mom with soemething else.  While that may be true he wouldn't have been able to do the carnage he did with a knife or bat at the school.  I mean have you seen this guy? 120lbs soaking wet, the guns gave him the courage he never would have had if he had to get physical with someone.

On a brighter note, the Christmas spirit is allive and well.  Pics taken on Saturday.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1353 on: December 24, 2012, 02:59:57 PM »
Just for the sake of argument, your friend might still be alive if there wasn't a gun in the house.  I know what you are going to say, if he didn't have a rifle he would have used a knife or a baseball bat or something else, but a gun makes all so much easier, with those other thing you have to get up close and personal and you might actually survive.  Anyways why would you have a gun around if you have someone with mental problems living with you? 

Again with the Sandy Hook, you state the problem wasn't the gun, he would have killed his mom with soemething else.  While that may be true he wouldn't have been able to do the carnage he did with a knife or bat at the school.  I mean have you seen this guy? 120lbs soaking wet, the guns gave him the courage he never would have had if he had to get physical with someone.

On a brighter note, the Christmas spirit is allive and well.  Pics taken on Saturday.

You might want to reread what I posted. I covered the fact that minus a semi-automatic weapon, the carnage would not have happened. My reference to killing his mom, was about my acquaintance and not the Sandy Hook situation.

Guns are a problem, they are not "the" problem though. Guns cannot shoot themselves.

I think you've completely missed my point. That point was that we are missing the boat in how we deal with mental illness today in the U.S.

For your information, I do not nor do I intend to own a gun of any type. I have no need for this. I am in favor of laws which would ban the ownership of semi-automatic and automatic weapons. I am not in favor of banning all guns.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #1354 on: December 24, 2012, 03:28:20 PM »
Merry Christmas mofos  ,we need more guns .

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1355 on: December 24, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »
You might want to reread what I posted. I covered the fact that minus a semi-automatic weapon, the carnage would not have happened. My reference to killing his mom, was about my acquaintance and not the Sandy Hook situation.

Guns are a problem, they are not "the" problem though. Guns cannot shoot themselves.

I think you've completely missed my point. That point was that we are missing the boat in how we deal with mental illness today in the U.S.

For your information, I do not nor do I intend to own a gun of any type. I have no need for this. I am in favor of laws which would ban the ownership of semi-automatic and automatic weapons. I am not in favor of banning all guns.

Point taken, however don't assume that everyone that goes full retard with a gun is mentally ill.  Some people are just rotten to the core and are perfectly sane.  Most serial killers can walk among us and blend in perfectly and are highly intelligent.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1356 on: December 24, 2012, 05:45:52 PM »
Merry Christmas mofos  ,we need more guns .

You let your kids open their presents early?

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #1357 on: December 24, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-73809077/

Two and threes year old kids dead from a fire. Mom and aunt left them alone to go to separate parties.

Shit like this happens every day in Chicago.

Where is Obama and Piers Dicksucker Morgan to protect these fucking kids?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1358 on: December 24, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »
http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-73809077/

Two and threes year old kids dead from a fire. Mom and aunt left them alone to go to separate parties.

Shit like this happens every day in Chicago.

Where is Obama and Piers Dicksucker Morgan to protect these fucking kids?

Protecting all kids from their idiot relatives is a huge job....

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #1359 on: December 24, 2012, 09:04:57 PM »
Protecting all kids from their idiot relatives is a huge job....

Dianne Feinstein should pass legislation banning idiot relatives (and "dangerous" Aussie attack pit poodles bulls).

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #1360 on: December 24, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
Dianne Feinstein should pass legislation banning idiot relatives (and "dangerous" Aussie attack pit poodles bulls).
My I cannot stand that mouthy c*nt.

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #1361 on: December 24, 2012, 09:27:08 PM »
My I cannot stand that mouthy c*nt.

Feinstein or E-Kunt?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #1362 on: December 24, 2012, 09:30:57 PM »
Dead by 4th grade.    This ain't learning and using guns, this is playing with guns and when kids play with guns someone always gets shot in the head with a strangely unloaded gun.
a

Stefano

• Getbig III
« Reply #1363 on: December 24, 2012, 09:33:19 PM »
America is number one is prisons and the number of inmates are growing.

More gun violence or crimes in general the ore private corps in charge of creating these holding tanks benefit.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1364 on: December 24, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »

More gun violence or crimes in general the ore private corps in charge of creating these holding tanks benefit.
Another foreigner talking about America.....  ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Stefano

• Getbig III
« Reply #1365 on: December 24, 2012, 10:10:55 PM »
Another foreigner talking about America.....  ::)

Well this aint poland we're talkin about on this thread.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #1367 on: December 25, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »

America sells prison stock on the stock exchange. They see prison's as "companies"...Of course they are always going to be number one and growing. It's business.

Tightskin

• Getbig II
« Reply #1368 on: December 25, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »
Terrible lack of gun training in some Picts posted by Che especially the last one looks like they have terrorist parents. Just awful

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1369 on: December 25, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »
America sells prison stock on the stock exchange. They see prison's as "companies"...Of course they are always going to be number one and growing. It's business.

Really? And I thought our prisons were a losing proposition.