Author Topic: If you could live in another time period....  (Read 14335 times)

Griffith

• Getbig V
Re: If you could live in another time period....
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »
That's why these guys are legendary.  They don't dominate being 5'1", guys like Gengis Khan were animals.  They are abnormal beasts.  Now guys like Napolean and Hitler were little shits and let others do the fighting for them.

Would have been pointless if Napopleon was charging into enemy positions. He had to command the entire battlefield, make tactical decisions and give orders to his units.

Same with Hitler or any other leader in World War II or any modern war.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »
You really think William Wallace was 7ft tall.....?
Well did you hear what Donny said about his sword, it took two hands to hold it and it was big. the historians have him at slightly over 7 feet. Coat of arms weigh roughly 35 lb on a six footer, many have been found in that region, actually all over the place that weigh 50-80lb and are enormous in sizes, they look like blankets. Axes weighing 100lb are out there as well, spear heads that weigh 10-12lb, it would take a 500lb man to throw something like this effectively.

Tall big men were often bread and different atmospheric pressures of the past allowed larger statures, this is proven in the fossil record, every animal has a bigger version of itself in the past, including insects, simply an atmosphere more rich with oxygen then the one today.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2012, 02:17:56 PM »
Where's Sev in this thread? He and his con artist bud Stewart actually lived in other time periods.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »
Well did you hear what Donny said about his sword, it took two hands to hold it and it was big. the historians have him at slightly over 7 feet. Coat of arms weigh roughly 35 lb on a six footer, many have been found in that region, actually all over the place that weigh 50-80lb and are enormous in sizes, they look like blankets. Axes weighing 100lb are out there as well, spear heads that weigh 10-12lb, it would take a 500lb man to throw something like this effectively.

Tall big men were often bread and different atmospheric pressures of the past allowed larger statures, this is proven in the fossil record, every animal has a bigger version of itself in the past, including insects, simply an atmosphere more rich with oxygen then the one today.

Some of the weapons were also ceremonial, to look intimidating for ceremonies, or on parade or whatever.

People liked to exaggerate, word of mouth was all many could rely on.

I highly doubt the man was 7ft, that's incredibly rare even in our modern era.

Europeans were also smaller due to worse diet etc...not larger.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »
You really think William Wallace was 7 feet tall, and weighed 400 pounds?  You retarded?
Wallace was known to be well over 6 feet tall. His exact size i canīt say. His sword i have seen and no not a toy as someone wrote. It was not for show to make him look good, the man was a strong man. Ok we have the hollywood stuff but i can tell you one thing, to use such a weapon you have to be strong! or swing a sledge like WOOO does.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »
Wallace was known to be well over 6 feet tall. His exact size i canīt say. His sword i have seen and no not a toy as someone wrote. It was not for show to make him look good, the man was a strong man. Ok we have the hollywood stuff but i can tell you one thing, to use such a weapon you have to be strong! or swing a sledge like WOOO does.

I guess if you've been working the fields everyday like a human ox since you're a kid and lucky enough to have fresh food on the table, you're probably going to be very tough and strong.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »
Sir William Wallace was a real person. It took more than balls to do what he did. This is why as a scot from Stirling we still had a "thing" about the English. Nonsense now of course but as a kid they really told you to ..not hate the English but..remember what they did. I have English friends too from the Army who i like.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »
Sir William Wallace was a real person. It took more than balls to do what he did. This is why as a scot from Stirling we still had a "thing" about the English. Nonsense now of course but as a kid they really told you to ..not hate the English but..remember what they did. I have English friends too from the Army who i like.

Never really knew there was still that kind of feeling between the Scots and the English.

You hoping for independence in the referendum?

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2012, 02:58:44 PM »
Some of the weapons were also ceremonial, to look intimidating for ceremonies, or on parade or whatever.

People liked to exaggerate, word of mouth was all many could rely on.

I highly doubt the man was 7ft, that's incredibly rare even in our modern era.

Europeans were also smaller due to worse diet etc...not larger.
That`s my point is that our era only produces small statures and the older the era the larger the stature.  One of the Caesars Maximinus Thrax) was officially recorded as 8`6 and this guy was perfectly proportions, didn`t have that giant disease acromegaly or whatever obviously cause he died when he was 65 years old and was killed not dead by natural causes.

He was enormous and could fight in battle. In fact he was an important cammender. The overwhelming sources depicting him where numerous and found in different areas as his stature made him curious among surrounding nations. Are sources accurate and legit?... well Herodotus wrote about him, doesn`t get more trust worthy then that. He was a legit 8 footer. A monster among men and many reports say he faced even taller men in battle a few times, trust me men where taller not shorter.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2012, 03:00:45 PM »

I have to invoke the getbig bullshit clause on this.  Yes Wallace was 7 ft. tall but he was an anomoly.  Humans are taller today that at any time in history.  If you were to go back to Roman time a guy who was 5'6" would be considered quite tall.  I have a friend who is a civil war buff and has visited many museums in the south.  He tells me the uniforms were so tiny that guys from today wouldn't fit in them.  They were on average a size 32 coat size.  Don't forget that during historical times unless you were born into wealth you were probably lucky to have one meal a day from the time you were born.  Add war into the mix and one of the first things to suffer is the food supply.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »
That`s my point is that our era only produces small statures and the older the era the larger the stature.  One of the Caesars Maximinus Thrax) was officially recorded as 8`6 and this guy was perfectly proportions, didn`t have that giant disease acromegaly or whatever obviously cause he died when he was 65 years old and was killed not dead by natural causes.

He was enormous and could fight in battle. In fact he was an important cammender. The overwhelming sources depicting him where numerous and found in different areas as his stature made him curious among surrounding nations. Are sources accurate and legit?... well Herodotus wrote about him, doesn`t get more trust worthy then that. He was a legit 8 footer. A monster among men and many reports say he faced even taller men in battle a few times, trust me men where taller not shorter.

I know of Maximinus Thrax, but do not for one second believe that he was over 8 feet. Like I said, people used to exaggerate these personalities to cause fear and terror and this guy was a complete tyrant.

Herodotus also exaggerates, or just writes what he heard from those around him. For instance a million Persians crossing over to invade Greece...? Recent estimates put it at much much lower than that, but of course such exaggerations are just meant to mean 'an immense amount' etc and not necessarily literal. 

Archaeological evidence seems to indicate that Europeans were shorter.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2012, 03:10:08 PM »
I have to invoke the getbig bullshit clause on this.  Yes Wallace was 7 ft. tall but he was an anomoly.  Humans are taller today that at any time in history.  If you were to go back to Roman time a guy who was 5'6" would be considered quite tall.  I have a friend who is a civil war buff and has visited many museums in the south.  He tells me the uniforms were so tiny that guys from today wouldn't fit in them.  They were on average a size 32 coat size.  Don't forget that during historical times unless you were born into wealth you were probably lucky to have one meal a day from the time you were born.  Add war into the mix and one of the first things to suffer is the food supply.
That does not prove anything, I can go to the Phillipines and find short people there, one region in that area of Rome during that time period means very little. Funny how the average person thinks that people were shorter back then but the history books tell us different and I studied history at the university level and there are lots of historical evidence pointing to 8 footers all over the place like the Roman Emperor I pointed out above in my post and he did not have acromegly cause he died when he was 65 and was killed, his death was not natural so who knows how long he would have lived.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2012, 03:11:44 PM »
I know of Maximinus Thrax, but do not for one second believe that he was over 8 feet. Like I said, people used to exaggerate these personalities to cause fear and terror and this guy was a complete tyrant.

Herodotus also exaggerates, or just writes what he heard from those around him. For instance a million Persians crossing over to invade Greece...? Recent estimates put it at much much lower than that, but of course such exaggerations are just meant to mean 'an immense amount' etc and not necessarily literal. 

Exactly, look at the suits af armor from the days of yore, no avegage guy from today could put one on.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »
That does not prove anything, I can go to the Phillipines and find short people there, one region in that area of Rome during that time period means very little. Funny how the average person thinks that people were shorter back then but the history books tell us different and I studied history at the university level and there are lots of historical evidence pointing to 8 footers all over the place like the Roman Emperor I pointed out above in my post and he did not have acromegly cause he died when he was 65 and was killed, his death was not natural so who knows how long he would have lived.

Again, anomaoly, not the norm.  When you average it all out people are taller today.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »

In one of my history classes in University I had the professor lecture us on `debunking old myths`and 2 of the biggest misconception in history are that people believed people were shorter and he said that was a myth and in ten to 20 years no text book will say that, it was old and out-dated information

.....and 2,... that no one believed the earth was flat, a few idiots came up with that one and it stuck, every nation has always known the earth is round, no one ever thought it was flat, big misconception and he said it was propaganda to make nations sound stupid. I believe him too, how stupid do you have to be to believe the earth was flat, go on a mountain and you will see that it is round, look at the sun, the moon, look at the edge of the horizon, everyone knew it was round.

Silly non-sense people were not shorter

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2012, 03:20:42 PM »
Again, anomaoly, not the norm.  When you average it all out people are taller today.
You are obviously not reading my post as I proved it was not acromegaly cause he was still alive at the age of 65. You know Acromegaly severely lowers your life expectency and you will be lucky to see 30.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
In one of my history classes in University I had the professor lecture us on `debunking old myths`and 2 of the biggest misconception in history are that people believed people were shorter and he said that was a myth and in ten to 20 years no text book will say that, it was old and out-dated information

.....and 2,... that no one believed the earth was flat, a few idiots came up with that one and it stuck, every nation has always known the earth is round, no one ever thought it was flat, big misconception and he said it was propaganda to make nations sound stupid. I believe him too, how stupid do you have to be to believe the earth was flat, go on a mountain and you will see that it is round, look at the sun, the moon, look at the edge of the horizon, everyone knew it was round.

Silly non-sense people were not shorter

What about the archaeological evidence then...?

The Dutch used to be the shortest people in Europe till a about 200 hundred years ago, now they're the tallest. This has been attributed to better food.

Also, that's just the opinion of one lecturer.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2012, 03:30:21 PM »
What about the archaeological evidence then...?

The Dutch used to be the shortest people in Europe till a about 200 hundred years ago, now they're the tallest. This has been attributed to better food.

Also, that's just the opinion of one lecturer.
The archaeological evidence points to lots of tall people, at least the bone structures found., I mean of course you are right if one region is malnourished they might have an entire populace with stunted growth and yes that would be common all over the place, so I don`t doubt that there are villages found with the remains of a bunch of 5 footers.

But lots of findings of 7, 8, 9 and even ten footers all over the place. Oh and BTW if you doubt Thrax `s height well, you do realize that a statue of his actual size head was found and it was f-en-huge.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2012, 03:39:52 PM »
The archaeological evidence points to lots of tall people, at least the bone structures found., I mean of course you are right if one region is malnourished they might have an entire populace with stunted growth and yes that would be common all over the place, so I don`t doubt that there are villages found with the remains of a bunch of 5 footers.

But lots of findings of 7, 8, 9 and even ten footers all over the place. Oh and BTW if you doubt Thrax `s height well, you do realize that a statue of his actual size head was found and it was f-en-huge.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one haha
I think that statue would have been designed to terrify people. There are also gigantic collosus type statues of Augustus, Constantine etc.

I've been a bust of Thrax, I think it was in London, but it looked roughly the same size as the others.

Archaeology, in Italy at least shows the people to not have been tall. Just look at the proportions of the statues..? They look like stocky Italians.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one haha
I think that statue would have been designed to terrify people. There are also gigantic collosus type statues of Augustus, Constantine etc.

I've been a bust of Thrax, I think it was in London, but it looked roughly the same size as the others.

Archaeology, in Italy at least shows the people to not have been tall. Just look at the proportions of the statues..? They look like stocky Italians.
Ok fine then, bad example about the satue head on my behalf, :-[ :-\

;)

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »
Ok fine then, bad example about the satue head on my behalf, :-[ :-\

;)

haha, either way, no one really knows for sure.

We'll agree to disagree on this one  ;D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2012, 03:52:39 PM »
The Old West but would want too many modern conveniences related to hygiene/indoor plumbing etc. 

. I just want to make sure I am rich.  ;)

And you don't wanna remember nothing, understand?

R

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »
I want to know what I know now, have what I have now and physically have the body I had when I was 25 years old. Anyone have any ideas how to make that work?

daddy8ball

• Getbig III
  • Violence is not the answer. It is the question.
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
I've often thought about this.

I think my lifespan, and seeing the advent of the internet, is the greatest time period.

Why live in the olden days? You're hungry? Gotta fish. Or catch a rabbit. Or hunt. Or grow crops.

Nowhere to live? Build a house.

Bored?

Sit around and drink potato liquor? Sing? And when you have to piss...go piss in the leaves out back?

Today is the best.
The answer is "yes".

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2012, 11:17:02 PM »
I want to know what I know now, have what I have now and physically have the body I had when I was 25 years old. Anyone have any ideas how to make that work?

ya gh  ;D