Author Topic: can anybody here do 1-arm chins?  (Read 9829 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
can anybody here do 1-arm chins?
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:16:04 AM »
and i mean full-range of motion starting from a dead hang all the way up til the chin surpasses the bar

AJ once said "once you can do 10 full-range 1-arm chins then your arms will be as big as they are ever gonna be"

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: can anybody here do 1-arm chins?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:09:36 AM »
1 jerky one with my left arm....

Just kidding

Tried the negatives that jpm proposed but found them impractical at 235

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 04:05:14 AM »
I jerky one with my left arm....

Just kidding

Tried the negatives that jpm proposed but found them impractical at 235
they serve no purpose other than training your ego...and a possible shoulder or bicep injury.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 05:12:47 AM »
they serve no purpose other than training your ego...and a possible shoulder or bicep injury.

would you say that to Arthur Jones face? doubt it ;) 8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 05:24:13 AM »
would you say that to Arthur Jones face? doubt it ;) 8)
well what is the purpose of them? tell me. listen i like old school too but FFS lets keep it real. A certain "expert" here always rants on about AJ like heīs Brainwashed. what is the purpose of them? explain to me what you will get from them that you canīt do with other SAFER methods. Look at the anatomy of the shoulder and biceps, tell me then if this is a safe productive exercise. not saying i am better than anyone here but i worked with people who were very qualified and went to University and studied MODERN methods and physiotherapy...if i showed this to a senior in the place i worked they would have thrown me out!! believe me i listened and learned from these people and it was a very humbling experience for me...the boss was a woman who also competed when she was young. If AJ said stand on your head would you do it?? AJ was a shrewd business man and sold "HIS" machines very well. Learn yes from people like him use whatīs good and discard the dangerous methods...use YOUR own brain...this is 2013 and not 1966 ::)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 05:33:05 AM »
Someone fix this link (I'm on my phone)

Some dudes can do them easily. I like this guys grip (parallel rather than underhand or overhand)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 05:38:17 AM »
well what is the purpose of them? tell me. listen i like old school too but FFS lets keep it real. A certain "expert" here always rants on about AJ like heīs Brainwashed. what is the purpose of them? explain to me what you will get from them that you canīt do with other SAFER methods. Look at the anatomy of the shoulder and biceps, tell me then if this is a safe productive exercise. not saying i am better than anyone here but i worked with people who were very qualified and went to University and studied MODERN methods and physiotherapy...if i showed this to a senior in the place i worked they would have thrown me out!! believe me i listened and learned from these people and it was a very humbling experience for me...the boss was a woman who also competed when she was young. If AJ said stand on your head would you do it?? AJ was a shrewd business man and sold "HIS" machines very well. Learn yes from people like him use whatīs good and discard the dangerous methods...use YOUR own brain...this is 2013 and not 1966 ::)

calm down brother, i'm just trolling lol

in fact, 90% of the posts i make on this site are troll posts

but here is one statement that isn't trolling... one CAN NOT get bigger muscles without increasing their training loads

as far as 1-arm chins go, i don't know and i don't have an opinion on them coz i've never done them, i was just curious that's all

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:44:37 AM »
calm down brother, i'm just trolling lol

in fact, 90% of the posts i make on this site are troll posts

but here is one statement that isn't trolling... one CAN NOT get bigger muscles without increasing their training loads

as far as 1-arm chins go, i don't know and i don't have an opinion on them coz i've never done them, i was just curious that's all
i am calm.. ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 05:50:35 AM »
i am calm.. ;D

that's cool, and here's a nice cooling tune to make you even calmer 8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:37 AM »
thanks Bro... ;D your a good egg

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 06:12:02 AM »
Check YouTube. Tons of guys are using both negative chins and negative 1 arm chins. Several also do 1 arm chins pretty easily.

I'm hoping to get there one day.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 06:14:35 AM »
Someone fix this link (I'm on my phone)

Some dudes can do them easily. I like this guys grip (parallel rather than underhand or overhand)

that's pretty damn good, but he isn't doing it from a dead hang position

doing it from a dead hang position is MUCH MUCH HARDER

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 06:21:24 AM »
that's pretty damn good, but he isn't doing it from a dead hang position

doing it from a dead hang position is MUCH MUCH HARDER

Agreed. But the dude is strong. Looks natural. JPM's suggestion may have value for some lifters... I have started adding negative chins to my last set (underhand to sternum). No dramatic strength increase yet but it's only been 4 weeks or so.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 06:32:57 AM »
Agreed. But the dude is strong. Looks natural. JPM's suggestion may have value for some lifters... I have started adding negative chins to my last set (underhand to sternum). No dramatic strength increase yet but it's only been 4 weeks or so.

how much weight do you add to the negative chins?

i'm doing reps with 35 pounds added

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 05:34:21 PM »
It is possible for most people to do a one arm chin (at least one) if training for it. Problem is that this movement can be a  ego buster. And  because you will usually fail at first. Just like any other lift, it should be approached with serious intent , with a planned workout scheme. If your greatly overweight, and not that well trained,than the one arm version may not be for you. The average well muscled and strong BB'er should have no problem learning his movement. You can't get good at anything unless you try it. You might even surprise yourself.

Try doing normal chins, at first, in a chinning workout. Than switch to the negative portion (should be warmup'ed enough)this is where the confidence can increase along with the muscle impulse action/reactions. The Rest/Pause system works well here, giving 12 to 15 seconds between negative attempts. Or alternate each arm, with that 12-15 pause between. Or find a way that suits you the best. Should become stronger each workout.

I have maxed at 3 reps one arm chins, at around 235-240 bwt. In college, at 275-280 (football bwt), I did the normal two hand chin with an extra 120 strapped on, counting the chain and harness (if I remember correctly). My chinning efforts, either one or two hand, are like the guy in the video. Giving a slight break, at the elbow, so never from a dead hang start. Any of these chins are not "all that", just something I, and others, have done. At present, my two hand chin has improved very well, at a lower bwt, since college.
Art Jones mfc makes quite a bit of medical and rehab equipment, more than just BB'ing stuff. Ever go to a rehab/VA center, there are devices that most have never heard. From Art Jones, among others.

Not sure why some get their kilts in a knot and over react to the positive/negative one arm chin. It's just another lift, that most strongmen like doing. Good Luck.

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 02:35:28 AM »
Common Injuries :
BicepTendon tear near the elbow
Bicep Tendon tear near the shoulder
Rotar cuff tears
shoulder joint tear (Glenoid Labrum tear)
shoulder dislocation
elbow dislocation
tendonitis rotar cuff
tendonitis Biceps

Indeed Norman cantwell a former nationally ranked powerlifting champion  warned of the Dangers.

might suggest "Diagnostic Bodybuilding" from Michael H Brown.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 03:19:36 AM »
 ;)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 03:41:46 AM »
how much weight do you add to the negative chins?

i'm doing reps with 35 pounds added

depends... sometimes nothing and i do 10 negative chin... i've also gone up to 2 x 45s for 2 reps

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 03:50:31 AM »
depends... sometimes nothing and i do 10 negative chin... i've also gone up to 2 x 45s for 2 reps

how slow do you do the negative reps?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 03:52:48 AM »
how slow do you do the negative reps?

about 3s per rep, start with sternum to the bar while standing on a bench

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 08:53:31 AM »
Want to mention isometric holds as another part of the training plan to improve any version of chins. Anywhere for 10 to 20 seconds, usually from the top, middle and near bottom positions. Usually one set each.

Some will hold the wrist with the free hand when working on one arm chins, gaining a bit of confidence this way. After awhile the free arm should be held behind the small of the back or (usually) holding some extra weight for the chin.

Rope climbing (legs held 90 degrees out) is another exceptional exercise that most BB'ers never do. Somewhat akin to the one arm pull, hits the grip as well as all the other muscle groups in assisting in the chin (1 or 2 arm). Abs strongly too. One arm overhead cable pulls can also be thrown into the mix, from time to time.

Common injuries may be encountered in any exercise. Let caution, a good warmup and common sense be your guide. BB'ers lift abnormal amounts of weight, compared to the common man, That's what sets them apart and above most other average folks...the will to succeed, improve and better ones self. If having a unfounded fear of a exercise, than don't do it. Or just assume the fetal position and stay away from all forms of physical activity...your choice. Good Luck
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 10:12:52 AM »
i asked a couple of guys what they thought of one-arm chins. >:( >:( >:( >:(
F

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »
since i started doing regular chins, not 1-armed ones, i've noticed that they really have developed my bis and delts

the bi development isn't really a suprise, but the delt development is

and i know this development is from the chins, since the only exercises that i am doing now are dips, chins, and full squats

but maybe this delt development has come from the dips and not the chins?

i'd like to get full range reps with 100 pounds added to me, coz then it would be damn sure that i'd have very well-developed arms 8)

jprc10

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »
Still working on regular chins now, but eventually would love to be able to do 1 armed versions. I agree with what Jones said, in fact my best biceps growth came from regular chin ups not curls. So I assume that once having the strength to do 1 armed, they'll be pretty big.
Thing is, most people treat this exercise (and others too) as an ego lift, just trying to see how many reps or how much weight they can lift without really caring about muscle stress, when the most important thing is to put the most tension on the muscles as possible while doing it.

Also, don't listen to Donny here, he is just biased against 1 armed chins for some strange reason.  ??? Maybe it has something to do with his little argument with jpm in another thread or cause he is old and injury prone.

Fact is, you can injure yourself with ANY exercise. That is why its common sense to always use good form, leave the ego at home and only do the 1 arm chins when you're strong enough for them. You wouldn't go into the gym and squat say 315 when your strength can only allow you to get 225 up for say 8 reps, would you? Common sense.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 11:15:11 AM »
Still working on regular chins now, but eventually would love to be able to do 1 armed versions. I agree with what Jones said, in fact my best biceps growth came from regular chin ups not curls. So I assume that once having the strength to do 1 armed, they'll be pretty big.
Thing is, most people treat this exercise (and others too) as an ego lift, just trying to see how many reps or how much weight they can lift without really caring about muscle stress, when the most important thing is to put the most tension on the muscles as possible while doing it.

Also, don't listen to Donny here, he is just biased against 1 armed chins for some strange reason.  ??? Maybe it has something to do with his little argument with jpm in another thread or cause he is old and injury prone.

Fact is, you can injure yourself with ANY exercise. That is why its common sense to always use good form, leave the ego at home and only do the 1 arm chins when you're strong enough for them. You wouldn't go into the gym and squat say 315 when your strength can only allow you to get 225 up for say 8 reps, would you? Common sense.

why listen to you?  ??? I am pointing out the risks of an exercise that really has no real value. Ask any bodybuilder who has had a serious Bicep or shoulder tear if it effected their training..Dorian Yates for example. Seems a high risk for no real value.