Author Topic: Training Secrets for Size and Strength Gains (for Naturals) by Lyle McDonald  (Read 14632 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
1. If you are natural, you must get stronger to get bigger. If, over time, you are not adding weight to the bar, you are not growing.

2. Training a bodypart less than 2X/week will not give you optimal gains. An upper/lower split done Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri is close to optimal for most. Full body twice a week can work very well. Once every 5th day is the least frequently I would ever recommend a natural train. You’ll get less sore training more frequently and you’ll grow better. Save once/week bodypart training for pro bodybuilders (read: steroid users) and the genetically elite.

3.When in doubt, do less volume, not more. You don’t need a zillion sets to stimulate hypertrophy, the bullshit written in the magazines to the contrary. If you can’t get it done in 4-8 hard sets (sometimes less, rarely more) you need to quit training like a pussy in the gym. I had a friend who sold supplements one time who kept asking me to design him a product that would really work. I told him to make a supplement that would make people work hard in the gym and watch their diets. He thought I was joking.

4. Generally, basic compound exercises are best but isolation stuff has its place. Same for the machines versus free weights ‘argument’: both have their place. Anybody who tell you that you MUST do a certain exercise is arguing from an emotional stance, not a physiological one.

5. If you think you can gain muscle without eating sufficient food or calories, you should quit bodybuilding and take up something easier, like golf. You can’t magically make muscle out of nothing, you need calories and protein to grow. If you can’t buckle down to eat enough on a consistent basis, you won’t grow an ounce of muscle. And spare me the excuses that you’re not hungry or your schedule won’t allow it. It’s about priorities, eat more or stay skinny.

6. Most hardgainers train like idiots and don’t eat enough.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
really good points here by Lyle

especially points 1 and 5

AVBG

Lyle's nutritional info is quality.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
i have a question for ya g

if one increases their training loads and eats a surplus of calories will they get bigger muscles?

and when i say bigger muscles, i'm talking about an actual increase in the size of lean muscle tissue

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
if youre natural and want get stronger, youll subsequently get fatter.

theres no secrets about training, natural or on juice.

you need protein and calories to grow?

on steroids, you can grow while being on caloric deficit.

natural training is a joke.why dont naturals get that?

they look same every year, zero progress whatsoever, yet they think itll come one day.

it wont.even on steroids, this takes time.

we make improvements... it's just really fucking slow... but strength gains still happen over time

and my nuts still work

Yev33

• Getbig III
if youre natural and want get stronger, youll subsequently get fatter.

theres no secrets about training, natural or on juice.

you need protein and calories to grow?

on steroids, you can grow while being on caloric deficit.

natural training is a joke.why dont naturals get that?

they look same every year, zero progress whatsoever, yet they think itll come one day.

it wont.even on steroids, this takes time.

Actually, it's the guys that don't compete in anything and use gear recreationally that are a joke.

Yev33

• Getbig III

we make improvements... it's just really fucking slow... but strength gains still happen over time

and my nuts still work

X2

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
is that lyle?

Borracho

• Getbig V

and my nuts still work

Once you're maxed it becomes a game of lose fat/gain fat. And you're over 30 and training for a long time now...what kind of slow "improvements" do you expect to make with your declining testosterone levels?

If you're interested in maximum strength I think you can improve but than take up pling.

Borracho

• Getbig V
Actually, it's the guys that don't compete in anything and use gear recreationally that are a joke.

If you're not gearing you ain't trying hard enough.

is that lyle?

Yes.

jprc10

• Getbig III
Another self proclaimed "guru" making money off gullible people and selling ebooks. Plus, he is known to be kind of a douche.

There are no training "secrets", no diet "secrets". Natural or not.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Work your weak points.

Yev33

• Getbig III
I never understood someone's logic for using steroids if they don't compete in anything. What's the point? To help you feel better about yourself? I don't like steroids in sports but at least I understand it.

Face it, if it you are using gear for your personal vanity and then go and tell people that training natural is a waste of time, you're just trying to make yourself feel like less of a social outcast that you are. 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
agreed risking your health for nothing is downright stupid, if your not a pro bodybuilder or pro athlete why take the chance. is that little plastic trophy really worth it??????????? ask tommy s.
F

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Work your weak points.

good point, so i guess that means curls and tri exts for me, but..... FUCK CALVES >:( >:( >:(

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
good point, so i guess that means curls and tri exts for me, but..... FUCK CALVES >:( >:( >:(
Come on man I had stick calves but brought them up, you can do it.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Come on man I had stick calves but brought them up, you can do it.

i'd rather watch paint dry than train calves :D :D :D

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Work your weak points.

Well, guess it's full body workouts 24/7 for Lyle from now on.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Once you're maxed it becomes a game of lose fat/gain fat. And you're over 30 and training for a long time now...what kind of slow "improvements" do you expect to make with your declining testosterone levels?

If you're interested in maximum strength I think you can improve but than take up pling.

My personal goal this year is to do the splits. I'm pretty close now.

That's the kind of challenges that I will set for myself in the future.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
My personal goal this year is to do the splits. I'm pretty close now.

That's the kind of challenges that I will set for myself in the future.

how often do you train each bodypart?

i think lyle is right when he says that one should train each bodypart twice a week for optimum progress

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
how often do you train each bodypart?

i think lyle is right when he says that one should train each bodypart twice a week for optimum progress

Once a week directly but I do a series of other workouts. It's a pretty eclectic training style.

Yev33

• Getbig III
Hitting each bodypart twice a week is great if you can recover from it. I had some good gains from that schedule years back. As I got stronger and couldn't progress on the twice a week, I went to a once a week split which wasn't that great for me. For the past 3 years I have been hitting each body part once every 5-6 days which has been working well.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Hitting each bodypart twice a week is great if you can recover from it. I had some good gains from that schedule years back. As I got stronger and couldn't progress on the twice a week, I went to a once a week split which wasn't that great for me. For the past 3 years I have been hitting each body part once every 5-6 days which has been working well.

i think that you can hit the muscles twice a week as long as you keep the volume low enough (3 or 4 work sets per bodypart)

how many work sets do you do per bodypart?

Yev33

• Getbig III
i think that you can hit the muscles twice a week as long as you keep the volume low enough (3 or 4 work sets per bodypart)

how many work sets do you do per bodypart?

I have tried it different ways. Lowest volume I have gone for the upper/lower split was 5-8 work sets for the entire workout not just per body part. Now, training each bodypart every 5-6 days (pull/push/lower split) I do around 14-18 work sets per workout.