Author Topic: Mentzer says...  (Read 16385 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Mentzer says...
« on: February 09, 2013, 06:50:38 AM »
that as one grows progressively bigger and stronger that one must train less (less often and with less volume) in order to continually grow bigger and stronger

has anyone here applied this concept for themselves and experienced what Mentzer says?

listen to him here @ 4:08-7:10 and especially from 5:55-6:27

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: Mentzer says...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 07:51:43 AM »
that as one grows progressively bigger and stronger that one must train less (less often and with less volume) in order to continually grow bigger and stronger

has anyone here applied this concept for themselves and experienced what Mentzer says?

listen to him here @ 4:08-7:10 and especially from 5:55-6:27

This is correct if you start out doing 100 lb squats for 10reps then get 350lbs just a example will it not take longer to recover, answer is yes. Recovery ability is limited to genetics.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:53:29 AM »
I train each muscle group less often than when i started. Volume depends on what "intensity techniques" i use. If i train with Tri sets and supersets i can use 2-3 sets per exercise but i still use at least 3 exercises per muscle group. I think you can raise intensity and cut down sets as Mentzer did..however you still need a good Exercise selection.. just my 2 cents Bro... ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 08:05:25 AM »
This is correct if you start out doing 100 lb squats for 10reps then get 350lbs just a example will it not take longer to recover, answer is yes. Recovery ability is limited to genetics.

so have you applied this principal within your own training routine and experienced what Mentzer says?

and if yes, tell us exactly what you did

IMO, there is over-training, but there is also under-training and there's a fine line btw the 2

basically, one needs to train enough, but not too much

but this concept of training less as one get bigger and stronger is rather revolutionary and hardly any fucking one does this >:(

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:41:48 AM »
so have you applied this principal within your own training routine and experienced what Mentzer says?

and if yes, tell us exactly what you did

IMO, there is over-training, but there is also under-training and there's a fine line btw the 2

basically, one needs to train enough, but not too much

but this concept of training less as one get bigger and stronger is rather revolutionary and hardly any fucking one does this >:(
I went from 4 days a week to 3 then 2 doing weak points first. Recovery ability doesnt increase. Bench, barbell rows and lying triceps ext Day 1. Rest 4 days then calf raise, Squats, military press, barbell curls Day 2. Depends on the weak points work them first, my calves sucked for me so I prioritized. Arms need to be worked last unless you just do them alone they are the weak link to upper body exercises ie arms will give out before chest on the bench. My arms always responded so I worked them last. Contest training drop cals and a little cardio good to go. However genes rule.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 08:42:18 AM »
posted

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 08:54:19 AM »
I went from 4 days a week to 3 then 2 doing weak points first. Recovery ability doesnt increase. Bench, barbell rows and lying triceps ext Day 1. Rest 4 days then calf raise, Squats, military press, barbell curls Day 2. Depends on the weak points work them first, my calves sucked for me so I prioritized. Arms need to be worked last unless you just do them alone they are the weak link to upper body exercises ie arms will give out before chest on the bench. My arms always responded so I worked them last. Contest training drop cals and a little cardio good to go. However genes rule.

interesting

i'm basically doing those exercises that you did, except i do dips instead of bench and chins as well as rows and no tri ext

also, i just started doing weighted crunches coz my girl said she likes it when the abs "pop" out 8)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »
I assume because your tri's are pretty good, dips will hit them decently.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »
I assume because your tri's are pretty good, dips will hit them decently.

yep

my tris and my lats are my best bodyparts

and i guess that my delts are better than i think they are

my bis and calves suckass though

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2013, 07:37:22 AM »
as i get older i avoid failure, i stop the set before the form goes shitty. no more injury, less cns fatigue, and more solid progress. but the frequency is the same.
asstropin

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 09:25:08 AM »
as i get older i avoid failure, i stop the set before the form goes shitty. no more injury, less cns fatigue, and more solid progress. but the frequency is the same.
This equals no progress. If you do movements slow and controlled injury will not be a problem, momentum, bouncing/cheating on moments does cause injury.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 09:27:38 AM »

what do you mean by "more solid progress"?

muscle size increase?

training load increase?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 10:47:44 AM »
This equals no progress. If you do movements slow and controlled injury will not be a problem, momentum, bouncing/cheating on moments does cause injury.
true but Bill Pearl always said leave the Gym with still some Gas in the Tank...he did not train to failure but trained high volume and for me he was a class above any Heavy duty trainer or AJ...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 10:54:39 AM »
true but Bill Pearl always said leave the Gym with still some Gas in the Tank...he did not train to failure but trained high volume and for me he was a class above any Heavy duty trainer or AJ...

did he increase his training loads with this method?

if yes then he got bigger muscles, and if no... then he only maintained his current condition

NO ONE GETS BIGGER WITHOUT INCREASED TRAINING LOADS, it's in-fucking-possible to do so, and if someone says he has then he is a liar or a lunatic ;D

AJ APPROVED statement right there ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 11:20:25 AM »
Bill Pearl was a strong man.. and AJ said a lot of things when the day was long. he contradicted himself after he sold his Nautilus company being quoted as saying you can not duplicate free weights, his high pitch sales talk some years before was totally the reverse. Take AJ with a pinch of salt. Anyway how come you donīt train like say Greg plitt or the Fitness models you want to look like. maybe some here wonīt like Greg Plitt but he trains a 5 day split with volume.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 11:26:08 AM »
I do not dislike AJ but i shall have to try and find the article..made me smile. Mate all these Gurus said do this and that...Gironda too. If you want to do it his way thatīs your thing. I mean Bill Pearl was a multi Universe winner and later did some strong man stunts so he was very strong and yes lifted heavy too... but i am biased to Bill Pearl as you are to AJ... ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
my whole point is this....

a muscle will only get larger when you increase the weight on the bar

i don't care how the fuck you do it or the method you choose to do it, but that is REQUIRED no fucking ifs, ands, or buts about it

p.s. my quads and ass and lats are bigger now and guess what?

my squats weights and my row and chin weights have shot way the fuck up

coincidence? nah... i don't think so

up next is calves, i will increase my calf raise training loads over the next few weeks and my calves will get bigger exactly because of this ;)

so let's say that i kept using the same weight on my calf raises, would my caves get bigger then?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 11:57:24 AM »
A good web site for you dj...read the article from Casey Butt "Rule 2" what AJ said...however some good stuff in the web site.
http://www.irontruth.co.uk/rulesofproductiveweighttraining.html

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »
A good web site for you dj...read the article from Casey Butt "Rule 2" what AJ said...however some good stuff in the web site.
http://www.irontruth.co.uk/rulesofproductiveweighttraining.html

great article

especially "Rule 14" ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »
Dj...I thought you would like it so I sent it. Some nice articles.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 01:29:26 PM »
great article

especially "Rule 14" ;)
Exactly progression is king, make sure to read #18 as well.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 01:39:14 PM »
Glad you boys like it.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
Glad you boys like it.

thanks for that article brother :)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »
samir....ferrigno.....ar nold.....franco.....pear l....ect

never trained to failure.......and they all developed fantastic physiques.

heavy duty training is one way to train.....but not the only way to train.

imho

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 04:05:59 PM »
Mentzer probably wishes he hadn't gone all heavy intensity so he could still be around
c