Author Topic: NFL Player: "I"m better at life than you"  (Read 12224 times)

f450

• Getbig IV
Re: NFL Player: "I"m better at life than you"
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2013, 12:12:12 AM »
bunch of jealous racists in this thread 

carry on ;D

Mattyh7688

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2013, 12:13:38 AM »
I always thought that if you had to regularly chase a pigskin while smashing your body into big ass grown men, eventually causing yourself lifelong injuries and unnecessary suffering for the sake of entertaining a bunch of ignorant, beer swilling fools,  it was because You weren't good at life or smart enough to know better.
You could have be as smart as Albert Einstein, but if you can run a 4.2 40 and have a 45inch vertical, chances are you are going to make a lot more money playing football than you could ever with your other talents in life. Grant it, I would say a very good amount just have football, but there are a good amount of other guys in the NFL who would be successful off the field as well. The NFL is complex, especially at some positions like QB. You need to have some level of intelligence to play it at a high level.

Its all about the money, competition, and love for the game... mainly money after a certain point. These guys are pulling more money than most CEOs.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2013, 12:30:10 AM »
You could have be as smart as Albert Einstein, but if you can run a 4.2 40 and have a 45inch vertical, chances are you are going to make a lot more money playing football than you could ever with your other talents in life. Grant it, I would say a very good amount just have football, but there are a good amount of other guys in the NFL who would be successful off the field as well. The NFL is complex, especially at some positions like QB. You need to have some level of intelligence to play it at a high level.

Its all about the money, competition, and love for the game... mainly money after a certain point. These guys are pulling more money than most CEOs.
It was JMO, for some people making a lot of money, isn't a good thing, I was just suggesting that whoring your physical ability out for large sums of money to entertain the mediocre masses and risking the inevitable injuries and suffering that come from that may not necessarily be considered the wisest long term life decision.  Money isn't everything, and too much is too much.  Personally I don't understand the attraction of football, not American Football, or soccer or the even more ridiculous Aussie Rules Football.  It seems to me to be an archaic masculine ritual for no other reason than to determine who is the biggest Neanderthal.  I wouldn't be so bad if it was done now and again, but to play it every week, what a waste of TIME and of LIFE, sadder still is those who go along and watch it each week, make idiots of themselves in the stands and blow a heap of money for the privilege.  But once again, JMO, I find most of the things the masses participate in either pointless, ludicrous or shameful, so don't mind me.
V

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2013, 01:03:53 AM »
Shermann made 465k in year one, and 510k in year two.  He's certainly doing better than most people his age.

Skip bayliss' salary is actually about the same.  And if Skip falls in the bath house and turns his knee, he has health insurance from ESPN and still does his show.  He'll probably still be doing the same ESPN gig (at least for radio) in 5 or 10 years.  The chances of shermann playing 8 more years to reach a 10th season aren't high, given average NFL CB career lengths.  The NFL gives Shermann a big middle finger if he tears a knee stepping out of his limo tomorrow.

Skip's net worth is 4 million and he has a sustianable salary of half a mil.  That's a good living.  Shermann may get to 4 million cash in the bank, but that's a year or three away.  

Watching the interview, we forget SKip is a wealthier man.

Yes but he did quantify and say at the age of 24 he's better than Skip when he was 24.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »
Yes but he did quantify and say at the age of 24 he's better than Skip when he was 24.
except his carreer is finished under 4/5 years... good luck then making as many millions a year as skip with his shitty "communication degree" lol. Should have kept his mouth shut. He should have stuck with not saying anything bad about other players if he really wanted to act classy, there was no need for this childish aggressive behavior. For someone with a "communication degree" he sure failed big time in terms of...communication. For most he made an awkyard insecure childish smartass of himself.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »
ah a nfl player that thinks he is smart. ::)
A

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you fantasized so about that half-wit.  My apologies.  (Btw, you misspelled "unwarranted" there, genius.)
He was a fucking ATHLETE, so if you knew anything about university politics and sports, you'd realize he could've graduated at the top of his class from Stanford and, oops!  Guess what?
It wouldn't mean a goddamn thing :D
I recently earned my MA at Chapel Hill, thanks for asking.  My dentist went to school at UNC-CH throughout his college career.  As he told me, it was the funniest thing, but some basketball and football players of his acquaintance would take the same courses he did as an undergrad and, even though they only attended class perhaps 20-30% of the time, they all wound up with, gasp, As and Bs!
Imagine that :roll:
Don't give me that stupid shit about some ball-player graduating from ANYWHERE when we all good and damn well know they're given a free ride.
Sue me..
Now... I my was a college athlete myself. Played 4 years of college football. Both schools in ATLANTA. One Division 1 and one D2. Both very good academic schools where sports came second to academics. At Tech (after i had transferred  to Morehouse) the starting quarterback (R.Ball) was ruled InEl because of grades and was unable to participate in a Bowl game. Now i do understand that at some schools, you do move along the system but there are schools that will not move you along no matter who you are. Stanford is one of them. Stanfords academic standards of admission are different than Fresno State's and it includes athletics. Why is Tenn better than Vandy year in and year out.  UGA beats out tech. USC and UCLA  and the list goes on and on. Some schools understand that their claim to fame is academics and will not sacrifice education for athletics.  Everyone always says it (ohh its all the same and athletes just get pushed through...) but thats just not as across the board as you think.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2013, 12:52:10 PM »
 ;D

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2013, 12:55:31 PM »
Skip is an arrogant, never played a sport asshole who thinks he knows more about sports than the Pro athletes that play them. Fuck him. More brothers should but this redneck in his place.

And you clowns prognosticating what MAY happen to Sherman financially when his career is over should go play in traffic. He'll be better off than all of you even if he makes the worst financial decisions possible.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2013, 01:46:11 PM »
I always thought that if you had to regularly chase a pigskin while smashing your body into big ass grown men, eventually causing yourself lifelong injuries and unnecessary suffering for the sake of entertaining a bunch of ignorant, beer swilling fools,  it was because You weren't good at life or smart enough to know better.

How does playing a game one loves for ~9-10x the country's median income right out of the gate (with fair prospects for earning much more than this in the near future) while still acquiring a degree from an ivy league university mark one as "[not] smart enough to know better"?

Mayor Of Bodybuilding

• Getbig III
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »
These Jocks are so Sensitive!  The guy runs around on grass and can catch a ball,Big Contribution to society! Go Skip! Your the man!

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2013, 04:28:20 PM »
Skip is a troll, but Sherman came off as a dick. No need to take it there.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2013, 04:52:45 PM »
How does playing a game one loves for ~9-10x the country's median income right out of the gate (with fair prospects for earning much more than this in the near future) while still acquiring a degree from an ivy league university mark one as "[not] smart enough to know better"?
Ah, because one needs one health and body to get through all of one's life and not just your twenties and thirties.  Money doesn't help when you walk like a 60 year old man when you are in your 40's, or you have Dementia pugilistica from multiple concussions.  It's not like athletes in these sports are risking their health and well-being for any great cause, it's to entertain a large group of morons.  Essentially, being a fan of sports like football and the like are for adult children, who never grew up and don't have the fortitude to not follow the crowd and talk like an idiot about statistics and who has been drafted and a whole host of other sport related nonsense.  When I was a child I enjoyed these sports, then i grew up.  These sports are like Christmas, for the children.  It isn't any wonder that the word FAN is short for FANATICAL!
V

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2013, 06:06:32 PM »
Skip is a troll, but Sherman came off as a dick. No need to take it there.
Sherman came off as bitch made, and a cry baby.
A

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »
It's not like athletes in these sports are risking their health and well-being for any great cause, it's to entertain a large group of morons.

The issue of whether the job serves any essential purpose to society is irrelevant to the issue of whether it is rational for a given individual to take the job (in this case, Sherman).

Ah, because one needs one health and body to get through all of one's life and not just your twenties and thirties.  Money doesn't help when you walk like a 60 year old man when you are in your 40's, or you have Dementia pugilistica from multiple concussions.  

There's no doubt that the job entails an increased risk of cognitive problems later in life. But just because such risks exist doesn't mean Sherman is stupid to take the job; that depends on the level of risk involved plus his own interests. For example, the best data I could find just now indicates that "players ages 30 through 49 showed a rate of 1.9 percent, or 19 times that of the national average, 0.1 percent [risk of dementia-related diagnoses]." (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/sports/football/30dementia.html?pagewanted=1)

This means that for an under 2% chance of dementia-related problems, Sherman gets to earn at least 9-10x the median income or so doing the thing he loves, the thing he was in some importance sense born to do. Alternatively stated, assuming that if such a diagnosis were handed down Sherman would be rendered a vegetable and unable to utilize his fortune (an extremely simplifying assumption that is absolutely false), the value of his earnings will be something like $4.9 million instead of $5 million (he will clear this amount unless he is knocked out early, as his rookie contract already has him slated to earn $2.2 million and he will fetch far more money his next contract, given his excellent performance).

Clearly, he is acting as almost any intelligent person would, and you are the fool.

These sports are like Christmas, for the children.  It isn't any wonder that the word FAN is short for FANATICAL!

Have you ever considered the possibility that you are the most fanatical person on this board, differing from other fanatics like ahmed only in the specific beliefs held? You might want to consider doing so.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »
The issue of whether the job serves any essential purpose to society is irrelevant to the issue of whether it is rational for a given individual to take the job (in this case, Sherman).

There's no doubt that the job entails an increased risk of cognitive problems later in life. But just because such risks exist doesn't mean Sherman is stupid to take the job; that depends on the level of risk involved plus his own interests. For example, the best data I could find just now indicates that "players ages 30 through 49 showed a rate of 1.9 percent, or 19 times that of the national average, 0.1 percent [risk of dementia-related diagnoses]." (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/30/sports/football/30dementia.html?pagewanted=1)

This means that for an under 2% chance of dementia-related problems, Sherman gets to earn at least 9-10x the median income or so doing the thing he loves, the thing he was in some importance sense born to do. Alternatively stated, assuming that if such a diagnosis were handed down Sherman would be rendered a vegetable and unable to utilize his fortune (an extremely simplifying assumption that is absolutely false), the value of his earnings will be something like $4.9 million instead of $5 million (he will clear this amount unless he is knocked out early, as his rookie contract already has him slated to earn $2.2 million and he will fetch far more money his next contract, given his excellent performance).

Clearly, he is acting as almost any intelligent person would, and you are the fool.

Have you ever considered the possibility that you are the most fanatical person on this board, differing from other fanatics like ahmed only in the specific beliefs held? You might want to consider doing so.
Only you could attempt to make a reasonable and intellectual argument as to why grown men play childish games for the entertainment of the moronic masses.  Whatever I am supposedly fanatical about doesn't cost me a cent, it doesn't see me wearily travelling back and forth week in week out, making an arse out of myself, getting drunk and yelling at overpaid, overgrown children playing silly games.  Justify the actions of these Neanderthal Imbeciles all you like, FOOTBALL will always be considered the province of the uncouth, uneducated and lower classes.  Any man who valued his brain, his intellect and his health, would never participate in such a past time let alone be a fanatical supporter of such time wasting pursuits.  All that youtube video highlighted was how moronic everyone involved in retard games like Football is, from the player, the coaches, the media and the fans.  The real difficulty is deciding who is the greatest Neanderthal, a task made exceptionally difficult due to the very competitive field one has to choose from.
V

NotSure

• Getbig III
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »
exactly, if the white man had not created these sports and associations, all the darkies would be in jail. The irony is that in return white kids worship these black males who represent manliness better than their fat fathers.
That's because these fat fathers go around worshiping them as well. I have said since day one there is nothing more homosexual than a bunch of grown men obsessing/fantasizing over 20 year old males running around on a field chasing a ball. I cannot think of a more emasculating thing. Worry about your own achievements and successes.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2013, 09:13:39 AM »
Sue me..
Now... I my was a college athlete myself. Played 4 years of college football. Both schools in ATLANTA. One Division 1 and one D2. Both very good academic schools where sports came second to academics. At Tech (after i had transferred  to Morehouse) the starting quarterback (R.Ball) was ruled InEl because of grades and was unable to participate in a Bowl game. Now i do understand that at some schools, you do move along the system but there are schools that will not move you along no matter who you are. Stanford is one of them. Stanfords academic standards of admission are different than Fresno State's and it includes athletics. Why is Tenn better than Vandy year in and year out.  UGA beats out tech. USC and UCLA  and the list goes on and on. Some schools understand that their claim to fame is academics and will not sacrifice education for athletics.  Everyone always says it (ohh its all the same and athletes just get pushed through...) but thats just not as across the board as you think.
UMBC is another one. Athletics is a distant second to academics. And ironically, Arnold S. is on the board.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2013, 09:16:03 AM »
That's because these fat fathers go around worshiping them as well. I have said since day one there is nothing more homosexual than a bunch of grown men obsessing/fantasizing over 20 year old males running around on a field chasing a ball. I cannot think of a more emasculating thing. Worry about your own achievements and successes.

I like how grown men collect sports cards. In reality, your just collecting of a bunch of pictures of men.

NotSure

• Getbig III
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2013, 09:28:58 AM »
I like how grown men collect sports cards. In reality, your just collecting of a bunch of pictures of men.
;D

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2013, 09:30:11 AM »
and aren't we, when any contest comes around, just looking at pics of muscular, oiled up, damn near naked men?

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2013, 09:33:44 AM »
Skip is an arrogant, never played a sport asshole who thinks he knows more about sports than the Pro athletes that play them. Fuck him. More brothers should be sent to the ghetto

He was/is an intelligent man, so he didn't have to play "sport".

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »
'Communications' is not considered intellectually rigorous, and its majors perennially score very low on graduate admissions tests. Sherman is a very talented football player, but he scored only 24 on the Wonderlic, which is roughly equivalent to a 108 IQ -- hardly Stanford material, but consistent with his major.

x2

The kid got picked up by Stanford due to the millions his presence brought to the institution and the top ranking it gave the team. This is a very common practice and can be seen throughout most of the Ivy leagues with good teams. In exchange for his talent and moneymaking potential, he acquired a degree from one of the best institutions in the country. I call it a fair trade. If and when his NFL career doesn't pan out too well, he has a great degree (albeit not the most practical of degrees) to fall back on and can make a solid living.

He is a talented player and while he lacks a certain level of humility, that can change in time as he ages and matures a little more.

Something to consider is that over 80% NFL players do go bankrupt after retiring from the game. Hopefully, Sherman puts his money to good use and hires a good/honest accountant.

"1"

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
and aren't we, when any contest comes around, just looking at pics of muscular, oiled up, damn near naked men?

yes, in truth, that's all we are really doing. never forget that.

It's crossed my mind at times for some of these people who WORSHIP a certain athlete/actor/etc. would let them cuckold their wife. Cuz some ppl take it to extremes with their defense of someone they don't even know. I see this on twitter all the time. Begging for a RT or some insane thing like NAMING their child Robert Griffin III lol

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2013, 11:35:34 AM »
yes, in truth, that's all we are really doing. never forget that.

It's crossed my mind at times for some of these people who WORSHIP a certain athlete/actor/etc. would let them cuckold their wife. Cuz some ppl take it to extremes with their defense of someone they don't even know. I see this on twitter all the time. Begging for a RT or some insane thing like NAMING their child Robert Griffin III lol
I know of a married woman who is awfully close to the Ravens, like very, very close...they hug her, and all that...she is a woman who likes her skirts low, and her heels high...
And I always wondered...