Author Topic: Galeniko please grace us with your nutritional strategy  (Read 456834 times)

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
Re: Galeniko please grace us with your nutritional strategy
« Reply #625 on: June 05, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
how is your rebound after that?  Not trying to sound like a dick, but I know most people would have some major issues coming off a diet like that unless they kept a lot drugs in.
Ya but I don't care how I look after the job is done and mind you if I keep my carbs down to 200 per day I can stay in the single digits forever and it will be like eating a buffet in comparison to what I just went through for 8 weeks.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #626 on: June 05, 2013, 03:12:36 PM »
The diet must be painful to achieve low digit bodyfat. There is no denying that. And if you're supplementing properly, there's no point in prolonging it. Just diet hard and get there fast. The only guys this doesn't work for is really fat guys, because the skin doesn't have enough time to tighten up and they get that loose skin look around the navel or hamstring/glute tie-in. But there's not much you can do if that's you...just take your time and hope your skin tightens up. It may never tighten up.

However, though I think most of us agree the diet needs to be painfully low in calories, it doesn't need to be painfully devoid of certain foods.

Once I set my calorie limit for the week, I pretty much eat whatever types of food I want. The weight still comes off, the muscle is still there, and everything looks and performs as it should. Naturally, as calories drop, I end up eating more veggies to help my stomach feel full. I don't have as much caloric room to eat ice cream (though I still do...I then just can't eat as much for the rest of the day, and that can hurt more than ice cream makes me feel good). But these are the mental games of dieting.

The science is pretty brain-dead simple. Don't eat more than you should. Try not create a deficiency in key micronutrients over the very long-term by being irresponsible, but don't worry if each day isn't perfect...your body has evolved to deal with micro and macronutrient shortages for weeks and months...a day or two won't make a hill of beans.

I've dieted for shows on super strict stand bb'er diets. And I've dieted for past two shows doing intermittent fasting, with one meal per day before bed, worth as low as 1800 calories, as much as 2500 calories depending on where I am on the diet. I'm much happier, more productive, just as lean, just as muscular, eating the one big meal of "whatever foods" before bed. I love going to sleep feeling full, and it helps me sleep better (I get insomnia when I'm hungry). I love not being burdened by having to eat all day long...what a pain in the ass. And I love being able to choose from my favorite foods. I get to eat dinner with my family, and if it's pasta night, I go ahead and have pasta that day as my meal and don't sweat it. I even have some cake with the kids, or a popscicle so I'm not some lousy stupid dad who's watching his macros. Usually, here's what I eat at my one meal, late at night, since these are my favorite foods and I just like them and so does the family:

1. ridiculously large greek salad with lots of olives and feta and dressing
2. about 10oz of lean meat - whatever got cooked that day. Never fish...I hate fish. Has to be a land animal, or maybe a crustacean
3. a big bowl of popcorn with salt, Ms Dash, and salt & vinegar powder on it while I watch a movie or some TV
4. 2 or 3 hard boiled eggs or some more cheese
5. a spoonful of peanut butter
6. some pickels, hot peppers and more olives
7. some prosciutto or maybe some porchetta - 4 or 5 pieces
8. a beer or two

After this, watch a bit of TV or play with the kids, or go to bed. Wake up happy and leaner. It always works. When not dieting, I just eat more of the above, and also eat more nuts (Brazil, macadamia, and tamari almonds are my favorite - they're like crack) and I like fruits too (kiwis, oranges, grapes, whatever...). Or maybe a piece of bread or two...I like Galeniko's "hollowed-out-bread-crust" meal...very tasty idea.

When I'm too lazy to eat all of the above food, I usually just eat a liter of homemade soup, add some parmesan cheese. I defy someone to eat 2000 calories of homemade chicken soup - you just can't do it. That's how you control calories, but still feel full in the stomach so that the day becomes enjoyable.

And that's bullshit about being unproductive. I work a desk for a large M&A firm. I don't get the luxury of being stupid or stoned out on low carbs. I have to perform be it on a spreadsheet, or in a boardroom with aggressive type A personalities. Your body will adapt. The bullshit of "it's too hard...I'm too tired" is just bullshit weakness. Own your shit, and man-up. Christ...our forefathers ploughed fields and worked the land all day long and sometimes didn't eat, but they did it and they were strong and they didn't whine. I could at least aspire to be something like that.

ukjeff

« Reply #627 on: June 05, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »
I work a desk for a large M&A firm. I don't get the luxury of being stupid or stoned out on low carbs. I have to perform be it on a spreadsheet, or in a boardroom with aggressive type A personalities.

I am in a similar position, my job demands I am on the ball and not spaced out, if I make mistakes it can impact on the safety of others.

D.O.U.P

• Getbig III
« Reply #628 on: June 05, 2013, 03:59:28 PM »
Galeniko-

Ok what EXACTLY do you eat during a typically days eating. Please break it down.

Can't seem to find that in this thread.  Lay out the when's, the how much of your plan.

I've been doing 6 grams of carbs for the first two meals of day (egg whites,chicken breasts,1 oz almonds) then eating a turkey sandwhich.

Your thoughts?

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #629 on: June 05, 2013, 04:56:18 PM »
LOL!!!  You take this shit way too seriously, my friend.  Listen, I totally agree with you about the guru bullshit.  It's not necessary and the only time i everr hired one, it was a complete waste of money....but I simply hate a diet where you are basically eating just protein.  It's not realistic and most people are going to fuck it up and get fatter than they were before when they come off it.  If it works for some people, then great....I personally have good results with a higher carb?lower fat diet and it's easy for me to control the rebound.  

rebound? what rebound? why do you rebound after a show? supercompensation of water and glycogen. because you've depleted water to the point where it now hoards it once it is reintroduced. why would you rebound on this diet? your not dropping water. where is this even coming from?  im trying to be civil here but jesus christ man.

rebound. what the fuck are you even talking about? why would you 'rebound' off this? if you eat 4k cals your not burning off your going to get fat period. whats this rebound bullshit? what does this have to do with anything?

why are you even posting in here? im being serious. it's be different if you were sharing advise or saying things that make sense but all you've done is twist what we are saying and talked utter nonsense.

b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #630 on: June 05, 2013, 04:57:50 PM »
how is your rebound after that?  Not trying to sound like a dick, but I know most people would have some major issues coming off a diet like that unless they kept a lot drugs in.

what drugs do you use to control your rebound? im curious. i really want to know this. thanks.

b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #631 on: June 05, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »
LOL!!!  You take this shit way too seriously, my friend.  Listen, I totally agree with you about the guru bullshit.  It's not necessary and the only time i everr hired one, it was a complete waste of money....but I simply hate a diet where you are basically eating just protein.  It's not realistic and most people are going to fuck it up and get fatter than they were before when they come off it.  If it works for some people, then great....I personally have good results with a higher carb?lower fat diet and it's easy for me to control the rebound.  

why is it not realistic?

what are people going to fuck up?

what the hell are you talking about?

dont even bother to answer bro. take a look at 'snx's post. thats a quality post. theres no bullshit nonsense in that. thats what works for him. all your doing is talking a bunch of absolute stupidity.

come back when you have something to say that makes sense.

b

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #632 on: June 05, 2013, 05:08:17 PM »
Im with you
I used to diet on around 50-60% 20-30% carbs and low fats and always got in shape for shows.
I tried the high protein diet about 18 months ago when I dieted again after 16 years out of it.
I was fucked all the time and kept getting light-headed and I almost keeled over a couple of times due to low blood sugar levels.

Its not for me, I thrive on carbs
Same here.  Years ago (2004) I did Low to no Carb and it was awful.  My strength dropped to laughable levels and I kept protein ultra high- 2 to 2.5 grams per lb of body weight.  It was the worst time I ever had in the gym and I was doing Five Days a week.  It was definitely not optimal at all for me.  Of course body fat dropped to single digits, but so did everything else I think.  Keep in Mind I am a Lifetime Natural so that will probably be a big reason why it didn`t work well at all.  Again, I cannot speak for anyone using anything- Prohormones or Steroids.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #633 on: June 05, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
  Iris Kyle

She does not eat carbs and she does two hours of cardio every day

She starves    she suffers she is miserable

Galeniko was right

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #634 on: June 05, 2013, 05:10:23 PM »

Iris Kyle

She does not eat carbs and she does two hours of cardio every day

She starves    she suffers she is miserable

Galeniko was right

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #635 on: June 05, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »
The diet must be painful to achieve low digit bodyfat. There is no denying that. And if you're supplementing properly, there's no point in prolonging it. Just diet hard and get there fast. The only guys this doesn't work for is really fat guys, because the skin doesn't have enough time to tighten up and they get that loose skin look around the navel or hamstring/glute tie-in. But there's not much you can do if that's you...just take your time and hope your skin tightens up. It may never tighten up.

However, though I think most of us agree the diet needs to be painfully low in calories, it doesn't need to be painfully devoid of certain foods.

Once I set my calorie limit for the week, I pretty much eat whatever types of food I want. The weight still comes off, the muscle is still there, and everything looks and performs as it should. Naturally, as calories drop, I end up eating more veggies to help my stomach feel full. I don't have as much caloric room to eat ice cream (though I still do...I then just can't eat as much for the rest of the day, and that can hurt more than ice cream makes me feel good). But these are the mental games of dieting.

The science is pretty brain-dead simple. Don't eat more than you should. Try not create a deficiency in key micronutrients over the very long-term by being irresponsible, but don't worry if each day isn't perfect...your body has evolved to deal with micro and macronutrient shortages for weeks and months...a day or two won't make a hill of beans.

I've dieted for shows on super strict stand bb'er diets. And I've dieted for past two shows doing intermittent fasting, with one meal per day before bed, worth as low as 1800 calories, as much as 2500 calories depending on where I am on the diet. I'm much happier, more productive, just as lean, just as muscular, eating the one big meal of "whatever foods" before bed. I love going to sleep feeling full, and it helps me sleep better (I get insomnia when I'm hungry). I love not being burdened by having to eat all day long...what a pain in the ass. And I love being able to choose from my favorite foods. I get to eat dinner with my family, and if it's pasta night, I go ahead and have pasta that day as my meal and don't sweat it. I even have some cake with the kids, or a popscicle so I'm not some lousy stupid dad who's watching his macros. Usually, here's what I eat at my one meal, late at night, since these are my favorite foods and I just like them and so does the family:

2. about 10oz of lean meat - whatever got cooked that day. Never fish...I hate fish. Has to be a land animal, or maybe a crustacean
3. a big bowl of popcorn with salt, Ms Dash, and salt & vinegar powder on it while I watch a movie or some TV
8. a beer or two

After this, watch a bit of TV or play with the kids, or go to bed. Wake up happy and leaner. It always works. When not dieting, I just eat more of the above, and also eat more nuts (Brazil, macadamia, and tamari almonds are my favorite - they're like crack) and I like fruits too (kiwis, oranges, grapes, whatever...). Or maybe a piece of bread or two...I like Galeniko's "hollowed-out-bread-crust" meal...very tasty idea.

When I'm too lazy to eat all of the above food, I usually just eat a liter of homemade soup, add some parmesan cheese. I defy someone to eat 2000 calories of homemade chicken soup - you just can't do it. That's how you control calories, but still feel full in the stomach so that the day becomes enjoyable.

And that's bullshit about being unproductive. I work a desk for a large M&A firm. I don't get the luxury of being stupid or stoned out on low carbs. I have to perform be it on a spreadsheet, or in a boardroom with aggressive type A personalities. Your body will adapt. The bullshit of "it's too hard...I'm too tired" is just bullshit weakness. Own your shit, and man-up. Christ...our forefathers ploughed fields and worked the land all day long and sometimes didn't eat, but they did it and they were strong and they didn't whine. I could at least aspire to be something like that.

We are making Tikka Masala.  I suggest that for epic Leans and Protein.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #636 on: June 05, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »

8. a beer or two

awesome post.

for me i try to stay away from eating for taste as i said before as the more utilitarian i am in my approach, the more business like the more i use food as a fuel source and not for pleasure the easier i can control my appetite, the easier i can control my cravings, and the more robotic i can be in my approach which doesnt allow me to think ahead to the next meal.

like you get it. you really do. all gal and i have done is made it more demanding to speed up the fat loss process by cutting the cals way down. but insofar as the nuts and bolts of the system we are on the same page. just our cals are different and length of time in that deficit before eating again.

like i said earlier in this thread to TA all paths lead to rome. your sure does too. actually i will go so far as to wholeheartedly endorse your way of eating as a prolonged system over a great length of time, once you have achieved an optimal bf level.

we can get the guy who is at 10-12% down to sucked in condition faster than anyone. this approach you follow would be a sane and enjoyable way of maintaining that and taking a little break from it once you get there. you could litterally stay on what you have outlined here the rest of your life and live optimally- physically and mentally.

the key component we share is the fast. we just chose to use it longer, and are more extreme in that state.

great post.

b

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #637 on: June 05, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
hangclean, other diets dont cause rebounds eh?

lets see how much your approach has rebounded on yourself haha ;D

rebound is sugarcoat term for letting oneself go on diet.yeah some glycogen and water gain will happen at the end, but the fat will come from overeating in any case.

any dieting aproach, towards 5% fat, will allow very little food.any diet.

I don`t agree with that last part.

Luimarco is a Lifetime Natural and does 2400-2600 to get single digits down to 4 percent.  Higher Carbs as well.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #638 on: June 05, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
Chris Jones is another Lifetime Natural who does carbs around 300 grams and about 2700 calories.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #639 on: June 05, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »
Next Mr O right there.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #640 on: June 05, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »

TA we already ascertained that someone can get lean eating 2500cals a day. we had this discussion, so i fail to see your point here.

cheers.
b

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #641 on: June 05, 2013, 05:30:42 PM »
TA we already ascertained that someone can get lean eating 2500cals a day. we had this discussion, so i fail to see your point here.

cheers.
I see this thread as a Compendium of all approaches.  I saw a few posts from different people that were asserting that someone had to suffer or that they had to go low calorie to get to 5 percent or below and its just not the case at all.

As you said, many roads will lead to Rome and the bottom line is each individual must decide for themselves which to take.  This is probably the best diet thread on Getbig ever.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #642 on: June 05, 2013, 05:33:31 PM »
I see this thread as a Compendium of all approaches.  I saw a few posts from different people that were asserting that someone had to suffer or that they had to go low calorie to get to 5 percent or below and its just not the case at all.

As you said, many roads will lead to Rome and the bottom line is each individual must decide for themselves which to take.  This is probably the best diet thread on Getbig ever.

probably the best diet thread on any board ever, or will be by the time its done lol.

a lot of good info here from a alot of good guys.
b

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #643 on: June 05, 2013, 05:45:50 PM »
this is a very good post,and yeah,even on this diet it doesnt matter if its 1 or 5 meals,its very little anyway.

yeah its just the lets get this behind us approach, one can later on maintain the condition on much more nice foods than the guy who allows himself some bits in his diet to cut off the fat.

its a mystery to me how anyone rather wants to diet for longer than required ???
For the Lifetime Naturals, the "long" diet (which is more like normal caloric range- just a slight deficit) seemingly works best when compared to the ultra low calorie, no carb approach.  Brian Whitacre diets with 2600-2800 calories.

Here is an offseason picture of him.  He diets at that level for 26 weeks and loses around 20 lbs during that time.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #644 on: June 05, 2013, 05:54:36 PM »
i gotta say, the longer this thread goes on, the more confusing it gets...

points i've picked up that seem to be consistent throughout the pages:

1.  don't worry about losing muscle, fat will go first
2.  as long as calories are low, choice of foods matters little except
     a) some claim eating strictly protein is the best, and easiest path to take
     b) some claim eating more tasty things is the best, easiest path to take

this one i'm a little less certain of:

3.  "only eat when hungry" and, seemingly, some people prefer to stave off eating as long as possible (even spending entire days fasted)

beyond that, the longer this thread has gotten, the more contradictory, messy, and confusing it's become, imo.  one point i find especially confusing: i'm very unclear whether these diet tips are meant to be used in perpetuity, or just to lose weight, it seems like there are a lot of conflicting takes on this.  personally my body composition practically never changes... i was very lean the first 20 years of my life, then i tried to "bulk" and got very fat after a couple years, then i lost all the weight and have been fairly lean again.  sounds like most people around here are constantly yoyoing around bodyweights... if the diet advice here can't be realistically applied in perpetuity, i really have no interest.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #645 on: June 05, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »
I look at it like this. When someone decides they have had enough of being a permabulker, and they say to themselves..."i want abs."  They want abs NOW...not in 26 weeks. That's half a year. So if it was me, I'm gOing to suffer and get them as quiclky as possible. There is no "now" when you are 15% but I'd rather it was ten weeks instead of 20.

Thats the appeal of the hardcoe diet..quickest from point A to point B. Probably not as pleasant as a more sensible diet, but everything is a trade-off in life.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #646 on: June 05, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »
why the fuck anyone would want to diet for 26 weeks is beyond me.

i'd rather diet for 4-6 weeks eating whatever i want every 4 days, get to 5% and drink corona all summer, bbq and enjoy life. to each their own i guess. i got better things to do than to diet for 26 fucking weeks to get nearly the same results i can get in 6.

i cant even imagine preparing meals for 26 weeks. not eating pizza. going thru the bullshit of counting my cals, counting carbs, making sure my 'ratio's are correct'., preparing 26 weeks worth of meals at 7 times a day? where do i sign up for such fun?!

gal gets to 5% eating pizaa and ice cream before bed every couple days.

i'll pass. thanks.
b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #647 on: June 05, 2013, 05:58:31 PM »
i gotta say, the longer this thread goes on, the more confusing it gets...

points i've picked up that seem to be consistent throughout the pages:

1.  don't worry about losing muscle, fat will go first
2.  as long as calories are low, choice of foods matters little except
     a) some claim eating strictly protein is the best, and easiest path to take
     b) some claim eating more tasty things is the best, easiest path to take

this one i'm a little less certain of:

3.  "only eat when hungry" and, seemingly, some people prefer to stave off eating as long as possible (even spending entire days fasted)

beyond that, the longer this thread has gotten, the more contradictory, messy, and confusing it's become, imo.  one point i find especially confusing: i'm very unclear whether these diet tips are meant to be used in perpetuity, or just to lose weight, it seems like there are a lot of conflicting takes on this.  personally my body composition practically never changes... i was very lean the first 20 years of my life, then i tried to "bulk" and got very fat after a couple years, then i lost all the weight and have been fairly lean again.  sounds like most people around here are constantly yoyoing around bodyweights... if the diet advice here can't be realistically applied in perpetuity, i really have no interest.

take all the advise you have read and divide it into two groups:

the advise that gal and i give.

the advise that everyone else is giving.

because gal and i are the only two in the thread who are exactly on the same page. everyone else has their own ideas of what works- not saying we or he is right and everyone else is wrong. to each their own. someone asked gal to lay out his strategy and he took the time to do so. this thread has kinda goine from 'gal what did you do to get lean' to 'what someone can do to get lean' but the basic premise still remains- nobody will get leaner faster using this method of dieting.

so, there you have it. simple as that.
b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #648 on: June 05, 2013, 05:59:04 PM »
I look at it like this. When someone decides they have had enough of being a permabulker, and they say to themselves..."i want abs."  They want abs NOW...not in 26 weeks. That's half a year. So if it was me, I'm gOing to suffer and get them as quiclky as possible. There is no "now" when you are 15% but I'd rather it was ten weeks instead of 20.

Thats the appeal of the hardcoe diet..quickest from point A to point B. Probably not as pleasant as a more sensible diet, but everything is a trade-off in life.

bingo.
b

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #649 on: June 05, 2013, 06:01:26 PM »

I think the object of "long diets" are not to "get abs" but to hone the abs that show.  Most Lifetime Naturals who do high Calories can already see their abs are are just shaving off a few points of bodyfat here and there.

That works as well though even if higher bodyfat and abs cannot be seen.

The bottom line for any approach is this:

1. CALORIC DEFICIT  (high or low works)
2. FOOD CHOICES DO NOT really matter as long as Nutritional Amount is met with whatever diet you are following- (can be high protein, moderate protein, low protein, high fat, low fat, moderate fat, High Carb, Low Carb, Moderate Carb and any combination thereof.)  (the Minimum RDA will be met with most diets anyways by default so Nutrients are taken care for the most part by any approach)
3. STICK WITH WHATEVER APPROACH TO THE END- No matter what type of Diet you choose.  Changing horses in Mid Stream will only make it harder to get across the river.