Author Topic: Thinking of training arms, chest and calves only....  (Read 57905 times)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Thinking of training arms, chest and calves only....
« on: March 21, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »
I know its not respected when guys only train certain parts. But really, these are the parts that need to catch up so I was wondering your guys' thoughts on this....

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Thinking of training arms, chest and calves only....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:14:45 PM »
I know its not respected when guys only train certain parts. But really, these are the parts that need to catch up so I was wondering your guys' thoughts on this....

do what you feel

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 07:20:07 PM »
do what you feel

yeah I'm thinking I'll be able to train them more often perhaps causing some growth. I would also be ok if other muscles atrophied somewhat to give these ones the appearance of being a little larger...

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »
It's one thing when someone who is just starting out only wants to train certain bodyparts. It's a whole different story when it's someone who has been training for a long time and has legitimate weak points that need to be addressed.

Go for it and see how it works out.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 03:19:33 AM »
i would still train the other bodyparts too and go in a maintenance mode. I would still hit back and legs with some basic exercises and if your exercise selection is good you will get enough stimulation from exercises like parallel bar dips in your arm training because even your lats will receive attention.I agree with what the guys wrote and you are a Pro so donīt think we can really tell you much.. you teach us  ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 05:40:52 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

come on man! if you're taking a jab at me just come out with it lol

or since you got my pics did you all the sudden think that you were me :D :D :D

but seriously, i'm gonna kinda do the same thing now, except i will still train squats and rows, but i will only train them at a maintenance level

my plan is to just train curls, weighted push-ups, rows, squats and weighted crunches but keep the squats, rows and weighted crunches at the same training loads while really trying to jack up my curl and weighted push-up training loads, so you will indeed see my progress or lack thereof when i send you my update pics brother 8)

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 06:46:47 AM »
LOL @ dj thinking this might of been about him  ;D

Thanks for the replies guys.

I always trained everything from the get go but we all have those parts that just don't respond as well it seems. I think I've given up on this trying to get bigger thing for now and its about time because I'm having a hard time walking through doors due to my massive width  ;D.

No but seriously, the parts I mentioned are the ones that need more work and I'm ok with just maintaining everything else.

But one question...

is there a way I can train other muscles without causing hypertrophy...I'd hate to give up back training especially  ???

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 06:52:14 AM »
LOL @ dj thinking this might of been about him  ;D

Thanks for the replies guys.

I always trained everything from the get go but we all have those parts that just don't respond as well it seems. I think I've given up on this trying to get bigger thing for now and its about time because I'm having a hard time walking through doors due to my massive width  ;D.

No but seriously, the parts I mentioned are the ones that need more work and I'm ok with just maintaining everything else.

But one question...

is there a way I can train other muscles without causing hypertrophy...I'd hate to give up back training especially  ???

how do you train now? what kind of split are you using. Maybe you just need to change your training approach and shock the weak muscles.when people think of weak muscle groups they fall into the trap of more is better. My approach has always been to analyze my training and change reps,sets,training principles and even the order of training.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 07:08:37 AM »
how do you train now? what kind of split are you using. Maybe you just need to change your training approach and shock the weak muscles.when people think of weak muscle groups they fall into the trap of more is better. My approach has always been to analyze my training and change reps,sets,training principles and even the order of training.

I've always periodized my training donny. I tried the training arms and calves 3x a week with lighter weights more volume, tried heavier weights with less reps 1 time week...then 2 x. Chest has been kind of hard for me to train as often do to shoulder tendonitis.

Changing order of exercises I never placed much emphasis on I must admit.

Right now I've cut back on the volume considerably. I'm doing one set to failure on any exercise doing no more than 2 exercises per muscle training every muscle once every 4-5 days. I was severely overtrained prior to this. I'm opened to suggestions you may have ...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 07:18:53 AM »
But one question...

yes there is, don't increase the training loads on those exercises that you want to maintain and not gain size on

and yes, it is as simple as that ;)

don't believe me? well wait until i send my update pics in 3-4 weeks and you'll see that my lats have remained the same size while my bis and chest will be bigger ;)

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 07:33:25 AM »
yes there is, don't increase the training loads on those exercises that you want to maintain and not gain size on

and yes, it is as simple as that ;)

don't believe me? well wait until i send my update pics in 3-4 weeks and you'll see that my lats have remained the same size while my bis and chest will be bigger ;)

I like the confidence  8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 07:56:12 AM »
If it was me i would take a break from training...no weights for at least 2 weeks. Do some cardio and swim. You sound like you said overtrained and stale. with regards to training train each muscle1x a week after your break then need to in my opinion train the target muscles as efficient as possible. I know no better way than pre exhaust...yes i go on about supersets and pre exhaust all the time.. but you can really target the muscle group as best you can. If just using massive weights was the solution we would all be mr O. The size you have i am sure as a pro but pre exhaust is in my humble opinion helps you focus on the target better, physically and mental. The first thing is take a break NO TRAINING.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 08:24:34 AM »
If it was me i would take a break from training...no weights for at least 2 weeks. Do some cardio and swim. You sound like you said overtrained and stale. with regards to training train each muscle1x a week after your break then need to in my opinion train the target muscles as efficient as possible. I know no better way than pre exhaust...yes i go on about supersets and pre exhaust all the time.. but you can really target the muscle group as best you can. If just using massive weights was the solution we would all be mr O. The size you have i am sure as a pro but pre exhaust is in my humble opinion helps you focus on the target better, physically and mental. The first thing is take a break NO TRAINING.

;D

Are there any good resources you would recommend where I could look into a good preexhaust method/routines donny?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 08:51:04 AM »
;D

Are there any good resources you would recommend where I could look into a good preexhaust method/routines donny?
well you know all the exercises. I got my ideas from speaking to Bob Kennedy on the phone and really just thinking about anatomy. I think this is the most important point. A lot of trainers just give advice without really understanding what happens in any exercise.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »
well you know all the exercises. I got my ideas from speaking to Bob Kennedy on the phone and really just thinking about anatomy. I think this is the most important point. A lot of trainers just give advice without really understanding what happens in any exercise.

Just wanna make sure I got a good idea of what pre exhaust really is. Ok so if I'm training tris for example I would do something like a cable pressdown before  a close grip bench correct?

and maybe tris before chest and bis before back...

Also, what are your thoughts on going to failure?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 09:01:52 AM »

stay well away from failure, and be sure to decrease your training loads :D :D :D

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »
stay well away from failure, and be sure to decrease your training loads :D :D :D

In a caloric surplus I can see some growth happening.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 09:10:15 AM »
In a caloric surplus I can see some growth happening.

fuck! i wish that was true, but it NEVER happened that way for me EVER :'(

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »
fuck! i wish that was true, but it NEVER happened that way for me EVER :'(

Well its not gonna happen on a diet of muffins and coca cola  ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 09:16:01 AM »
Well its not gonna happen on a diet of muffins and coca cola  ;D

well man, i replaced the coke with eggs and the muffins with beef soup ;)

although last nite i did eat a bit of pizza and washed it down with a half a liter of coke and woke up wit my waist being down a full 3 cm (which is about 1.25 inches lost over a 10 day period) ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2013, 09:33:42 AM »
Just wanna make sure I got a good idea of what pre exhaust really is. Ok so if I'm training tris for example I would do something like a cable pressdown before  a close grip bench correct?

and maybe tris before chest and bis before back...

well ok your having a bit of fun here because this is all basics..but to answer your questions, the idea of pre exhaust is to get around a weak link such as say triceps in bench press. you would do say DB flyes and then bench press.. the idea is that your chest is better trained taking triceps out the equation in flyes so then the chest is better isolated(wait for the critics here who will say BS) with flyes you would then stimulate the pecs better with bench press. The weight in your bench will drop but because of the flyes you will get stimulation much quicker in the pecs and more direct. your second point of training triceps before chest is not what i mean or is biceps before back what i mean. this is not logical and you would never do this. Remember we are talking about training 1 muscle group. I have pre exhausted my biceps say with preacher curls then close grip chins but this is not training back but biceps.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2013, 09:34:20 AM »
well man, i replaced the coke with eggs and the muffins with beef soup ;)

although last nite i did eat a bit of pizza and washed it down with a half a liter of coke and woke up wit my waist being down a full 3 cm (which is about 1.25 inches lost over a 10 day period) ;D

I ate A LOT of cake last night  :D

And yeah your diet is looking a hell of a lot better now.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »
well ok your having a bit of fun here because this is all basics..but to answer your questions, the idea of pre exhaust is to get around a weak link such as say triceps in bench press. you would do say DB flyes and then bench press.. the idea is that your chest is better trained taking triceps out the equation in flyes so then the chest is better isolated(wait for the critics here who will say BS) with flyes you would then stimulate the pecs better with bench press. The weight in your bench will drop but because of the flyes you will get stimulation much quicker in the pecs and more direct. your second point of training triceps before chest is not what i mean or is biceps before back what i mean. this is not logical and you would never do this. Remember we are talking about training 1 muscle group. I have pre exhausted my biceps say with preacher curls then close grip chins but this is not training back but biceps.

ok ....got it.

Thanks for the explanation.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 09:41:39 AM »
ok ....got it.

Thanks for the explanation.
my pleasure.. but i am sure you know all this and more... ;D

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »
my pleasure.. but i am sure you know all this and more... ;D

I'm not here to waste anyone's time donny especially you. I haven't really put much thought into my training over the years to be honest with ya. Just went to the gym lift some weights...go by how I feel and ate pretty well. I'm like bizarro dj181 where I've put all my emphasis on diet whereas he's only concerned himself with the training aspect.