Author Topic: Best biceP exercise  (Read 22690 times)

BiG_Bob

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
Best biceP exercise
« on: April 01, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »
What exercises work best for creating Huge biceps

bigmc

• Getbig V
Re: Best biceP exercise
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:42:54 AM »
 ::)
T

BiG_Bob

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 11:03:02 AM »
Personally I use this routine

3 sets of alternating dumbbell curls alternating between grips
3 sets of easy curl   "heavy"
3 sets of straight bar curls
3 sets of cable bar curls
3 sets of standing double bicep cable curls

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
Personally I use this routine

3 sets of alternating dumbbell curls alternating between grips
3 sets of easy curl   "heavy"
3 sets of straight bar curls
3 sets of cable bar curls
3 sets of standing double bicep cable curls

Well, if this gives you full & peaked bis, then continue what you're doing.
I believe this is way too much volume for a relative small muscle.

BiG_Bob

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 11:16:25 AM »
Well, if this gives you full & peaked bis, then continue what you're doing.
I believe this is way too much volume for a relative small muscle.
Traditionally I would agree. However I believe because I have done a lot of manual labour when I was younger I believe it takes a lot more to really stimulate growth 

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 11:33:54 AM »
Traditionally I would agree. However I believe because I have done a lot of manual labour when I was younger I believe it takes a lot more to really stimulate growth 

When hypertrophy is your goal, you need high intensity. You can only achieve this with low to moderate volume. Compare it with a sprint, you can't sprint a marathon. Which folks have the most mass, sprinters or marathon runners? That's right, the sprinters.
Try 4-6 sets max with strict form (good peak contraction, slow down the negative part and full ROM).
In short: its quality, not quantity.

BiG_Bob

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:41:48 AM »
When hypertrophy is your goal, you need high intensity. You can only achieve this with low to moderate volume. Compare it with a sprint, you can't sprint a marathon. Which folks have the most mass, sprinters or marathon runners? That's right, the sprinters.
Try 4-6 sets max with strict form (good peak contraction, slow down the negative part and full ROM).
In short: its quality, not quantity.
I understand.   However when you work the bicep from so Many angles it has no choice but to grow.  I could limit it to 3/4 exercises with much heavier weight but I see better results from my workouts.  Plus I've built 20 inch arms natually    Can't wait to se my results after my first cycle

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:33 AM »
Mentzer would say curl grip pulldowns.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
I understand.   However when you work the bicep from so Many angles it has no choice but to grow.  I could limit it to 3/4 exercises with much heavier weight but I see better results from my workouts.  Plus I've built 20 inch arms natually    Can't wait to se my results after my first cycle

I did up to 3 angles in the past, like straight curls, incline curls & preacher curls. But after all these years, I came to the conclusion that a curl is... a curl, it's all about a good contraction/intensity. I keep things very simple by choosing 1 exercise per training, in most cases another one than during my previous training, just for the sake of variation/stimulation.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
http://boards.flexonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2585&start=0

Dan Hill: Training Series

Last weekend, 11 weeks out of my Pro debut, I had the opportunity again, to have a great photo shooting with Mike Siren in Helsinki. On our two Shooting days we took tons of great pictures and especially the Gym-Series which is showing my training turned out to be extraordinary good. Mike and I decided to use this series not only for a simple gallery but also to explain the Users of Pakkotoisto.com the way I am training.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and maybe they can even motivate you to try out these ideas I am talking about. Train Hard and go for your dreams !

Arms

Biceps :

Like for many tall Bodybuilders, Arms is also for myself a weaker muscle group compared to the rest of the body. That means for me to emphasize the focus on this muscle and to work on it even more special. Truly, Arms and Calves can probably never be big enough. As long as they don’t grow in a totally freaky way they won’t harm your symmetry and for this reason, even people having relatively strong arms, can possibly use my strategy to stimulate the Arms to new levels of growing.

A long time I trained Biceps very heavy and basicly I just focused on the amount of weight.
I allowed myself to cheat in my biceps workouts and for many people (probably the genetically gifted ones) even this seems to work. But after some months or maybe years in my case, I simply had to realize that it is not working for me. The shape of my Biceps is simply not responding on this kind of training. Finally in 2006 I started to change many things. I started a slow and controlled movement. I completely forced myself not to aim for any weights anymore and I realized how the changes started to work.

The results were great so far but after one year I found another big mistake I was doing over the years. I trained the Brachialis only every few weeks, but I seen that this muscle is almost not visible on all of my stage pictures. So the Brachialis became another big part of every Biceps workout. I still need to work on it, but after 2 years I can say that it improved already.

But speaking about the facts of my current Biceps workout, I want to give some numbers:

* 5 Sets: Main Exercise: SZ-Curls, Barbell Curls, Dumbell Curls or Seated Dumbell Curls
* 3 Sets: Isolation Exercise: Concetration-Curls or Scott-curls (Dumbell or Barbell),
* 3 Sets: Brachialis: Hammercurls, Scott-Hammer-Curls or Hammer-curl maschine
* 3 Sets: Pump: High Barbell Curls with light weight or Reverse Barbell Curls
* 4 Supersets of Forearms

You can see the really heavy part of my workout consists only of nine Sets, as the first exercise includes 2 warm-up sets. So I limit my workout to a few exercises and keep the focus on a controlled movement, using the whole range of motion and taking the highest possible amount of weight to get 6-8 reps.

But there is another day of the week, when I train my arms again.
Basicly the heavy training, you read about just a few lines ago, reminds on an European way of training, but on my many trips to the USA I also seen many Americans training quite successfully their arms only by pumping the muscles. I never really get a satisfied feeling by doing only a “pump-trainingâ€

BiG_Bob

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 11:59:50 AM »
Agreed. I mostly do this for variation to avoid boredom.   However certain curls work the brachial and alternating between traditional curls and hammer curls certainy hits the entire range of motion

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 12:01:02 PM »
Mentzer would say curl grip pulldowns.

that's true

but he also claimed that some of his clients got bigger calves after they stopped training them altogether

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »

* 5 Sets: Main Exercise: SZ-Curls, Barbell Curls, Dumbell Curls or Seated Dumbell Curls
* 3 Sets: Isolation Exercise: Concetration-Curls or Scott-curls (Dumbell or Barbell),
* 3 Sets: Brachialis: Hammercurls, Scott-Hammer-Curls or Hammer-curl maschine
* 3 Sets: Pump: High Barbell Curls with light weight or Reverse Barbell Curls
* 4 Supersets of Forearms

LOL, you can't beat poor genetics with bro-science

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 12:11:13 PM »
For me the barbell curl with a straight bar.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »
For me the barbell curl with a straight bar.
Your are correct sir, throw in some concentration curls all you need.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 12:14:09 PM »
Agreed. I mostly do this for variation to avoid boredom.   However certain curls work the brachial and alternating between traditional curls and hammer curls certainy hits the entire range of motion

Specific exercises hit certain areas more than others, this has been confirmed by EMG studies. But those small differences don't mean a world of difference. I believe it's much more important to train with intensity & good form. Keep in mind: for a musclefiber, a contraction means a contraction, no matter the angle.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
Curls get the girls.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 12:19:13 PM »
My arms started to grow when i stopped lifting heavy 

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
My arms started to grow when i stopped lifting heavy 

Are you still training with Paco?

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
Are you still training with Paco?
sometime. I dont have time to adjust his time of training lately.

BiG_Bob

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 12:30:11 PM »
Lifting heavy is always the key. It forces every fibre of the muscle to respond.   This causing t to grow.   

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 12:34:33 PM »
Lifting heavy is always the key. It forces every fibre of the muscle to respond.   This causing t to grow.   
not really for arms....
arms respond better to moderate weight
choice is an illusion

BiG_Bob

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 12:37:19 PM »
not really for arms....
arms respond better to moderate weight
What do you consider moderate weight.  I curl the 80lb dumbbells and 235 on the easy curl bar  whole only 185 on the straight bar

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 12:43:29 PM »
What do you consider moderate weight.  I curl the 80lb dumbbells and 235 on the easy curl bar  whole only 185 on the straight bar

moderate weight is relative to the person lifting it
but my arms were grown on moderate weight now if i cant rep it for at least 8 i dont do it...
and my arms are quite good..
 :)
choice is an illusion

BiG_Bob

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
moderate weight is relative to the person lifting it
but my arms were grown on moderate weight now if i cant rep it for at least 8 i dont do it...
and my arms are quite good..
 :)
I always do between 8/12 reps