Author Topic: Best biceP exercise  (Read 22687 times)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Best biceP exercise
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2013, 11:50:15 AM »
Best Bicep Exercise. The best is what works for different people.

BB curl...with controlled cheating.  Or BB Curl partial rep, from 1/4th to a 1/2 ROM

Best Bicep program...A quad set...seriously.

Good Luck

F

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
I believe that too many locked positions are bad for the wrist joints anyway, and I experience the same issue with my delts during barbell pressing movements. This is one on the reasons that I prefer DBs over BBs.
Being very flexible never had a problem barbell curls straight bar. I got a couple people I train and they have the same issue can't curl to failure wrists give out first. I do front squats clean the weight and squat a great exercise but it takes flexibility within the wrists. The Barbell curl still the king with a straight bar if possible. I'm just lucky I guess = genetics.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2013, 02:03:12 PM »
Being very flexible never had a problem barbell curls straight bar. I got a couple people I train and they have the same issue can't curl to failure wrists give out first. I do front squats clean the weight and squat a great exercise but it takes flexibility within the wrists. The Barbell curl still the king with a straight bar if possible. I'm just lucky I guess = genetics.

In that case you're blessed.
I had this issue last Tuesday... Started with bent-over BB rows for my back, followed with upright BB rows with a wide grip (all sets without straps or wraps to improve my static grip strength as well. Then I did my BB curls and after 3-4 sets my right wrist started to irritate, so I shaked my hands/wrists to stimulate the blood flow, clenched my teeth and did a final max set.
Today I did DB and single cable work only for my chest, delts & tris.
Yes I agree, straight BB curls are the king, esp during low rep days.
BTW, I also believe that other factors play a role, like RSI issues.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
In that case you're blessed.
I had this issue last Tuesday... Started with bent-over BB rows for my back, followed with upright BB rows with a wide grip (all sets without straps or wraps to improve my static grip strength as well. Then I did my BB curls and after 3-4 sets my right wrist started to irritate, so I shaked my hands/wrists to stimulate the blood flow, clenched my teeth and did a final max set.
Today I did DB and single cable work only for my chest, delts & tris.
Yes I agree, straight BB curls are the king, esp during low rep days.
BTW, I also believe that other factors play a role, like RSI issues.
The BB upright rows were the culprit they pressure the wrist especially on the outside. You may want to try those on a different day from the BB rows.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2013, 04:00:48 PM »
Been using a EZ bar (Olympic style) for the up-right's.  No special reason, just changed from a straight bar. Find less stress, either narrow, medium or a wider grip, on the wrist/forearms. Still do Hi-Pulls on a regular Olympic bar though. Better rotation for the hands/grip. Guess you could do heavier bent over rows with an E, also. bar.

Using a EZ bar, for some, when doing heavier curls, also gives less stress on the wrist/forearms.   The flex of the wrist seems to give the most problems with some guy's, bothering the tendons, joints, etc.  Tricep exercises can work well with an EZ bar, if pain in the wrist/forearm area.  Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2013, 12:53:30 AM »
Barbell drag curls are also a very direct bicep exercise...no cheating and not so hard on the wrists.

sexpert

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2013, 01:25:03 AM »
Been using a EZ bar (Olympic style) for the up-right's.  No special reason, just changed from a straight bar. Find less stress, either narrow, medium or a wider grip, on the wrist/forearms. Still do Hi-Pulls on a regular Olympic bar though. Better rotation for the hands/grip. Guess you could do heavier bent over rows with an E, also. bar.

Using a EZ bar, for some, when doing heavier curls, also gives less stress on the wrist/forearms.   The flex of the wrist seems to give the most problems with some guy's, bothering the tendons, joints, etc.  Tricep exercises can work well with an EZ bar, if pain in the wrist/forearm area.  Good Luck.
do you read other peoples posts? EZ bar has been mentioned Dummy ::)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2013, 04:52:19 AM »
do you read other peoples posts? EZ bar has been mentioned Dummy ::)

timeout in 3... 2... 1...

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2013, 04:53:37 AM »

i love the EZ bar with a narrow grip combined with an old school arm blaster  ;D

i seriously use this every week as a finishing move... like a barbell concentration curl at the end of one of my 2 arm workouts

sexpert

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2013, 05:15:37 AM »

timeout in 3... 2... 1...
no way piss breath

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2013, 10:51:44 AM »
 :P worked 70 years ago still best way to start putting on size. ;D ;D ;D
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 10:52:47 AM »
Funky Bro knows  ;D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
This is true.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »

maybe... i find i get better pronation on the biceps itself with the easy bar and the blaster to keep my elbows together... straight bar in same positions hurts my wrists

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2013, 06:54:21 AM »
The BB upright rows were the culprit they pressure the wrist especially on the outside. You may want to try those on a different day from the BB rows.

Yes, the upright rows are taxing on your wrists. To minimize this, I use a pretty wide grip. Sometimes I perform them with DBs or two cable pulleys, but the one with an olympic bar is my favorite. I believe that upright rows with some cheats during the last reps are one of the best shoulder mass builders.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2013, 07:14:01 AM »
Yes, the upright rows are taxing on your wrists. To minimize this, I use a pretty wide grip. Sometimes I perform them with DBs or two cable pulleys, but the one with an olympic bar is my favorite. I believe that upright rows with some cheats during the last reps are one of the best shoulder mass builders.
there is no doubt that they give your whole shoulder girdle a workout and really are in my opinion in between an isolation and basic move. The wide grip will hit your side delts more and close more traps. Of course all will be hit regardless but the emphasis will be stronger. I canīt do them because of my right shoulder so i do side laterals, raising above shoulder level and shrugs.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »
 :D
F

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2013, 03:50:23 PM »
has anyone tried laying down with your chest on an incline bench and curling like that?

did this today

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »
has anyone tried laying down with your chest on an incline bench and curling like that?

did this today

Spider curls, yes they feel good, but I feel like pussy with that 'light' weight ;D

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »
Spider curls, yes they feel good, but I feel like pussy with that 'light' weight ;D
i use the same weight for standing curls as i use compulsive obsessive strict form

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »
LATELY I HAVE BEEN USING THE GOOD OLD FASHION STANDING EZ BAR CURL......ALONG WITH HAMMER CURLS......4 SETS EACH......6-8 REPS.

THINK I WILL STICK WITH THIS ROUTINE FOR A WHILE.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »
When hypertrophy is your goal, you need high intensity. You can only achieve this with low to moderate volume. Compare it with a sprint, you can't sprint a marathon. Which folks have the most mass, sprinters or marathon runners? That's right, the sprinters.

Not the best analogy, as sprinters and marathon runners/cyclists, etc are completely different groups of athletes, with vastly different power to weight ratios for their chosen sports, and completely different training and nutrition programs.   You're talking higher short duration power for sprinters, vs higher long duration power for marathon runners/cyclists.   The latter being the sports where being overly muscular is detrimental.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2013, 04:45:18 PM »
i had a fantastic workout last evening.

very simple, very basic.

alternate db curls  4 sets.......holding the contraction for 2 seconds.........didn't go any higher than 35 pound dumbbells!

then 4 sets  of hammer strength preacher curls......65 pounds was all i used.......extremely deep burn in the muscle.

going for quality!!!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2014, 01:03:58 PM »
in the last 3 months.....the only exercise I have used for biceps is hammer curls.

pretty damn good movement for the bis.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »
tonight I am changing it up........

standing db curls

followed by hammer strength preacher curls

and ending with precor machine curls