Author Topic: Federal judge rules morning-after pill must be available for women of all ages  (Read 16198 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

i couldn't even conceptualize a sex life at 13.  and i wasn't a prude either.

That's because you were a 13 yr old geek who masturbated to national geographic.   ;D   j/k
w

bears

• Getbig IV
Actually, as a matter of fact, ...it WAS her first time having sex. And without putting all her business out there, I can't think of a more perfect scenario for the necessity of a MAP. The MAP was tailor made for her situation. However, because they weren't around then, she ended up dropping out of school in the 9th grade. Her older sister died in a car accident a few years later, and everyone passed the child off as her sister's child that she was raising. To this very day she will still not admit to having had a child out of wedlock, and the charade is still going on. Despite having married and having subsequent children with her husband, she still calls her daughter her niece, and her daughter thinks her half-sisters are her cousins. I fear what will happen when her daughter finds out the truth. A lie like that cannot live forever, ...especially when so many people know the truth. The truth always comes out in the end.  :'(

so everyone's life in that situation would have been better if that little girl was dead.  thats what you're saying.  that seems to be the only real tragedy here.   

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
so everyone's life in that situation would have been better if that little girl was dead.  thats what you're saying.  that seems to be the only real tragedy here.   

You can always come to the conclusion you want with the right scenario.
A

bears

• Getbig IV
You can always come to the conclusion you want with the right scenario.

exactly.  the real tragedy is that little girl is surrounded by people who wish she was never born. 

bears

• Getbig IV
I knew many girls that were pregnant at 13. They will tell their friends before they told their parents.

By the time they got around to telling their parents, ...or more accurately, by the time their parents discovered, all choices decisions were out of everyone's hands, ...especially in the case of one particular girl.

I can't help but think how much differently her life could have turned out had she had a MAP then.

i never addressed this before but you knew MANY 13 year old girls who got pregnant?  where the fuck did you grow up? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
i believe that there's a POTENTIAL for the irresponsible utilization of abortion in the US.  what it will be?  i don't know. 

but do you think back in the 1930's people thought that court cases where we would have to make decisions on who has the rights to a child born by a surrogate mother?  by a child born from a sperm donor?  no.  back then anyone who saw that the advancement of science would create these issues would have been shot down by you as well.  because you wouldn't have been able to process the implications that science would have on parental rights 80 years in the future.  thats why we have what is called the study of bioethics.  the study of bioethics exists because these people know that people like you do not think about the ramifications that advances in biology and medicine have on a populace. 

i'm only bringing to everyone's attention that we will face more complex issues in the future.  and you shit a brick.  because you have been trained by tv to defend everything abortion.  like i said.  small minded.

who are you or I to decided was is irresponsible or not ?

bears

• Getbig IV
who are you or I to decided was is irresponsible or not ?

irresponsible is utilizing it in a manner that has severe negative effects on a populace.  india is experiencing severe negative effects from sex selective abortion.  thats why we have Womens rights organizations going over there and trying to place laws on people's bodies.  take it up with them

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
irresponsible is utilizing it in a manner that has severe negative effects on a populace.  india is experiencing severe negative effects from sex selective abortion.  thats why we have Womens rights organizations going over there and trying to place laws on people's bodies.  take it up with them

again, what's happening in India in regards to how girls/woman are treated is nothing new

it may be exacerbated by access to abortion but not caused by it

Unless you happen to be Indian and live there it's really none of your business if poor Indian families choose to abort female fetuses.  It's certainly a better alternative to killing them after they are born

bears

• Getbig IV
again, what's happening in India in regards to how girls/woman are treated is nothing new

Unless you happen to be Indian and live there it's really none of your business if poor Indian families choose to abort female fetuses.  It's certainly a better alternative to killing them after they are born

womens rights groups are fighting against it because they think that gendercide has far reaching implications on their population.  

bears

• Getbig IV

and you're wrong about abortion not being the cause of the problem.  men are being born at a much higher rate than women ever since abortion was introduced.  solves a small problem temporarily while creating a much bigger problem in the long run.  and i do agree that it's none of our business.  however, it should draw attantion to the fact that abortion can cause problems within a populace.  how you don't see that is beyond me.  but again, its because you've been taught to defend everything abortion.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
and you're wrong about abortion not being the cause of the problem.  men are being born at a much higher rate than women ever since abortion was introduced.  solves a small problem temporarily while creating a much bigger problem in the long run.  and i do agree that it's none of our business.  however, it should draw attantion to the fact that abortion can cause problems within a populace.  how you don't see that is beyond me.  but again, its because you've been taught to defend everything abortion.

the cause of the problem is the cultural tradition of dowries

that's WHY they are choosing to abort female fetuses or kill or abandon them after they are born

Where do you get the idea I've been "taught to defend everything abortion" ?

Why do you presume I haven't made up my own mind on the topic?

24KT

• Getbig V

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. To imply that is a specious argument.
I'm saying her life would have turned out differently had she not gotten pregnant in the first place.

w

24KT

• Getbig V
exactly.  the real tragedy is that little girl is surrounded by people who wish she was never born. 

I don't think she feels that way, ...and I don't think she is made to feel that way either, ...but I fear if she discovers the truth about who her real birth mother is... the consequences may not be good for all concerned. I just don't understand why they had to lie to her and everyone else to begin with. The more time passes... the harder it becomes.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
i never addressed this before but you knew MANY 13 year old girls who got pregnant?  where the fuck did you grow up? 

I grew up in Toronto, ...and believe it or not guys... many, many girls get pregnant during their teen years.
Most people never discover this sad fact because the majority do not carry to term, but the numbers would surprise you.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 4 girls from who got pregnant in the 8th or 9th grade.
w

bears

• Getbig IV
I don't think she feels that way, ...and I don't think she is made to feel that way either, ...but I fear if she discovers the truth about who her real birth mother is... the consequences may not be good for all concerned. I just don't understand why they had to lie to her and everyone else to begin with. The more time passes... the harder it becomes.

i agree.  the tragedy was not that the girl was born.  it was how they handled it.  but you said yourself that you wish that girl had acess to a MAP so you wish she was never born.  your words not mine

24KT

• Getbig V
womens rights groups are fighting against it because they think that gendercide has far reaching implications on their population.  

Gendercide has nothing to do with whether or not emergency contraception to prevent pregnancy should be made available. Seems to me, if you PREVENT a pregnancy, ...selective sex abortion is a mute issue.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Below the age of consent. 

FDA to Let 15 Year-Old Girls Buy Morning-After Pill Over the Counter
Tuesday, 30 Apr 2013

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Tuesday said it would allow the Plan B One-Step contraceptive to be sold without a prescription to girls as young as 15 years of age.

The announcement partially reverses a December 2011 decision that prevented the sale of the emergency contraceptive to all females of reproductive age, which was also overturned by a U.S. district judge in New York on April 5. The FDA said its approval was not related to the judge's ruling.

Instead, the agency said it was responding to an amended marketing application from Teva Women's Health Inc, a unit of Plan B maker Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd. Teva originally applied to sell Plan B to all females of reproductive age, but changed its latest bid to those 15 and older after 2011. The amended application was pending when Judge Edward Korman handed down his ruling, the FDA said.

The pill known as "Plan B" has long been at the center of political and religious battles. The FDA initially approved sale of the drug to all reproductive age females, but was ordered to bar girls under 17 by U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, who came under fire from women's activists who accused her of bowing to political pressure from social conservatives.

"Research has shown that access to emergency contraceptive products has the potential to further decrease the rate of unintended pregnancies," FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg said in a statement.

"The data reviewed by the agency demonstrated that women 15 years of age and older were able to understand how Plan B One-Step works, how to use it properly and that it does not prevent the transmission of a sexually transmitted disease."

The FDA said the product will now be labeled "not for sale to those under 15 years of age 'proof of age required' not for sale where age cannot be verified."

Product coding is designed to prompt cashiers to request and verify the customer's age. Teva has also arranged to have a security tag placed on all product cartons to prevent theft.

The U.S. Justice Department is considering the administration's next steps in the New York court case.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/fda-Morning-After-Pill/2013/04/30/id/502123

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
this is GREAT NEWS, especially for all those abstinent fundie teens in red states who keep getting pregnant

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Fifteen is not so bad.  I don't understand why they didn't just make it age of consent.
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Fifteen is not so bad.  I don't understand why they didn't just make it age of consent.

Fifteen is bad because it's below the age of consent.  So the FDA just said any girl who is raped, as any pregnant fifteen-year-old girl has been, can buy this drug and her parents and law enforcement do not have to be involved.  

Can a fifteen-year-old girl buy sudafed without parental consent?    

24KT

• Getbig V
Fifteen is bad because it's below the age of consent.  So the FDA just said any girl who is raped, as any pregnant fifteen-year-old girl has been, can buy this drug and her parents and law enforcement do not have to be involved.  

Can a fifteen-year-old girl buy sudafed without parental consent?    

If a fifteen year old wants to clam up about a rape, she's gonna do it whether she's pregnant or not.
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Parents need to know up to 18 years of age rape included.  Parents shouldn't have the right to force them to have the baby and or deny them the morning after pill. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
If a fifteen year old wants to clam up about a rape, she's gonna do it whether she's pregnant or not.

So?  The government shouldn't be participating in covering up a crime committed against a minor. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Age of consent is irrelevant.  Humans can have sex at any age.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Age of consent is irrelevant.  Humans can have sex at any age.

its not irrelevant according to the law.
A