Author Topic: NYPD looking real good in court...lmfao  (Read 848 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
NYPD looking real good in court...lmfao
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »
In Its Defense, Police Dept. Cites Laziness of Its Officers

The picture painted in court of the New York Police Department’s officers was not pretty.

Ten percent of them were malcontents who worked as little as possible. Unless they are being paid overtime, officers seem to avoid writing summonses. Indeed, some police officers need to be weaned of the idea that they are paid to drive around in their patrol cars, eating doughnuts.

And those sentiments came not from critics of the department, but from police commanders and city lawyers.

One of the surprising developments of the trial regarding the Police Department’s stop-and-frisk practices is how top police officials and city lawyers have been willing to criticize some of the department’s rank-and-file officers — all in an effort to counter testimony from whistle-blower officers who say that commanders had created quotas that pressured them to make street stops without the proper grounds.

Some of the testimony heard over the first six weeks of the trial in Federal District Court in Manhattan has had more in keeping with labor arbitration than with a constitutional case, as the city has tried to play down secret station house recordings, partly by characterizing some police officers as lazy.

“The sergeant is complaining that the cops on overtime didn’t want to get out of the car,” one deputy inspector, Steven Mauriello, testified after being played a secret station house recording of one of his sergeants exhorting his officers to work harder. “He doesn’t want them sitting in the car reading the newspaper.”

The two whistle-blowing officers have offered testimony that is crucial to the plaintiffs’ claim that the department relies on a quota system to force officers to generate more “activity” — a category that includes arrests, tickets and street stops. According to the civil rights lawyers who brought the stop-and-frisk class action lawsuit, the number of street stops has soared over the last decade because police officers, under pressure to make the quota, have resorted to stopping people whom they have no reason to suspect of wrongdoing.

The trial’s focus on quotas and productivity goals has illuminated the labor-management tensions that run deep through the Police Department, with 15,000 rank-and-file officers on the patrol force. “I think we’re charged with trying to get the police officers to work, do the things that they’re getting paid for,” the Police Department’s deputy commissioner for labor relations, John Beirne, testified.

So when Joseph J. Esposito, the department’s highest-ranking uniformed member until his retirement last month, testified in the trial, he offered candid insight into management’s view.

“You have 10 percent that will work as hard as they can, whenever they can, no matter how bad we treat them, how bad the conditions are,” Mr. Esposito said. These officers “love being cops and they’re going to do it no matter what.”

On the other extreme, Mr. Esposito said, “You have 10 percent on the other side that are complete malcontents that will do as little as possible no matter how well you treat them.”

In some precincts, Mr. Esposito noted, most enforcement activity, like ticket writing, occurred when officers were paid time-and-a-half overtime, instead of during their regular workweek.

“It’s a question as to why they can see activity when they are being paid overtime as opposed to not being able to see activity when they are on straight time,” Mr. Esposito testified.

Officers who complained about quotas were resistant to doing their job, city lawyers suggested.

In one of the surreptitious recordings made by a Bronx police officer, Pedro Serrano, his precinct commander suggested that the low number of stops that the officer conducted — just a few for an entire year — indicated that he was derelict in his duties when on patrol.

“We’re still one of the most violent commands in the city,” Deputy Inspector Christopher McCormack said on the tape. “And to stop two people, you know, to see only two things going on, that’s almost like you’re purposely not doing your job at all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/30/nyregion/to-defend-police-city-cites-officers-laziness.html?ref=todayspaper&_r=0

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: NYPD looking real good in court...lmfao
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »
Sounds about right..

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
Police = welfare for white people

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »
Police = welfare for white people

you enjoy living in the 3% opinion arena don't you

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
you enjoy living in the 3% opinion arena don't you

I could care less what % it is.   its the truth.   Most cops are utterly useless in anything but a taxpayer funded gestapo role to terrorize citizens for utter bs

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 07:37:13 PM »
I could care less what % it is.   its the truth.   Most cops are utterly useless in anything but a taxpayer funded gestapo role to terrorize citizens for utter bs

That's YOUR truth, it's not THE truth... hope this helps

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 07:42:09 PM »
That's YOUR truth, it's not THE truth... hope this helps

Im NYC that is my experience 

Most white cops i know and grew up with in NYC are losers and pieces of shit who got there through connections and abuse citzens every chance they can 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »
Im NYC that is my experience 

Most white cops i know and grew up with in NYC are losers and pieces of shit who got there through connections and abuse citzens every chance they can 

Maybe instead of quotas for busting people, they have quotas for helping people?

Or some combination of the two.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 06:15:38 AM »

Maybe instead of quotas for busting people, they have quotas for helping people?

Or some combination of the two.

Maybe some of them are combined.. For example, we KNOW a large percentage of fatalities occur from running red lights and drunk driving. If officers are too lazy to enforce the traffic laws and drivers know this and routinely run red lights without fear of consequences, fatalities increase. If officers enforce the traffic laws it's a form of helping people who won't be T boned at the next light.

My experience here is likely similar to the Commander in NYC as far as officers. When I was a patrol Sgt I had roughly 10 officers. Typically 50% were hard working cops who would do the job for free if they didn't have bills because they loved it so much. 3 would do their share and a little more when asked and usually 1 or 2 that needed to be frquently  motivated either due to just their personality or burn out from doing it for so long. It was always a challenge to find what made them tick and use that to get them motivated.  

The issue of quotas was always around since I became a cop. Quotas were deemed illegal but managers were still left with the problem of getting officers to give 8 hrs work for 8 hrs pay. What usually goes on is after awhile a supervisor knows that activity should look like. For example, most of your shift writes an average of 2 traffic citations, 1 misdemeanor arrest, 4 reports per day;  2 felony arrests a week, 3 DWI's a month and you will have some officers doing more but some officers doing less. If I have an officer doing 1 DWI every 4 months and everyone else is making 16 in the same period then I need to look into that. There is no qouta, but there is an idea of what can be expected.  

And I would add that much of the problem in NYC is likely at the Lieutenant and Sergeant level with the Sergeant  not holding his officers accountable. If you have officers reading news papers and goofing off, with our computerized system, GPS and ability to monitor calls an average Sergeant should be aware of that. The Lieutenant should be aware of it also and hold his Sergeant accountable.  A commander complaining that officers are lazy is sidestepping his responsibility of holding his supervisors accountable    

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 06:43:24 AM »
‘Smoking’ gun nets 60G fine

60G fine for cig lighter
By JULIA MARSH
Last Updated: 3:42 AM, May 2, 2013
Posted: 3:16 AM, May 2, 2013

The owner of a Midtown tourist shop is firing back at Mayor Bloomberg’s crusade against toy guns, filing papers to block a $60,000 fine from the city for selling lighters shaped like small pistols.

“We don’t have the money,” said Fred Shayes, 49, who owns US Camera & Computer Inc. near Penn Station. “I would have to take a loan out from the bank to pay that.”

Shayes filed a petition in Manhattan Supreme Court to vacate the fine. At issue is a bronze-and-silver colored 3-inch butane lighter shaped like a gun with a black handle and a red tip that was selling for $10 until investigators slapped the store with a fine and yanked it off their shelves.

‘GUN’ LIGHTER Shop owner fights fine.

Under city law, toy guns can’t be sold in the city unless they are bright green, blue, red or a neon color.

Toy guns are also supposed to have a legible stamp identifying the manufacturer or trade name.

Although the gun-shaped lighter can fit in the palm of a smoker’s hand, inspectors for the city’s Department of Consumer Affairs said in 2011 that the lighters could reasonably be confused with a real firearm, and hit Shayes with the fine.

“The day the inspector came, he said, ‘This is illegal,’ ” Shayes said. “I took it off the shelf right away. I sent it back, and I showed them the invoice that proved I returned it.”

He lost in a hearing at the Department of Consumer Affairs’ appeals board, and went to court.

Over the past seven years, city officials have seized more than 7,200 illegal toy guns from stores and levied $2.4 million in fines, officials said.

Retailer Party City paid a record $500,000 in fines for 800 violations of the city’s toy-gun law.

“Imitation guns that are not easily distinguishable from real weapons pose a real and significant danger to public safety,” a spokeswoman for the city’s law department said.

“Merchants who trade in this illegal merchandise must be held accountable.”

Shayes said the fine could put him out of business. He was fined $5,000 for each of the 12 lighters.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:03:43 AM »
Oh joy, same cut and paste in two threads.... nice.. ::)

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 11:54:11 AM »
Well, they may not all be worthless, I mean, someone has to play the role of armed revenue collector.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
Well, they may not all be worthless, I mean, someone has to play the role of armed revenue collector.

Finally!! A POSITIVE post about police! About friggin Time! ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »

I have a whole thread with positive stuff about law enforcement.  Just haven't updated it in a while.  http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=201048.0

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 01:39:17 PM »
I know you do Beach, I'm just bustin balls with some of the regular cop bashers  ;) 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »
I know you do Beach, I'm just bustin balls with some of the regular cop bashers  ;) 

No worries mang.   :)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 06:19:14 PM »
Maybe some of them are combined.. For example, we KNOW a large percentage of fatalities occur from running red lights and drunk driving. If officers are too lazy to enforce the traffic laws and drivers know this and routinely run red lights without fear of consequences, fatalities increase. If officers enforce the traffic laws it's a form of helping people who won't be T boned at the next light.

My experience here is likely similar to the Commander in NYC as far as officers. When I was a patrol Sgt I had roughly 10 officers. Typically 50% were hard working cops who would do the job for free if they didn't have bills because they loved it so much. 3 would do their share and a little more when asked and usually 1 or 2 that needed to be frquently  motivated either due to just their personality or burn out from doing it for so long. It was always a challenge to find what made them tick and use that to get them motivated. 

The issue of quotas was always around since I became a cop. Quotas were deemed illegal but managers were still left with the problem of getting officers to give 8 hrs work for 8 hrs pay. What usually goes on is after awhile a supervisor knows that activity should look like. For example, most of your shift writes an average of 2 traffic citations, 1 misdemeanor arrest, 4 reports per day;  2 felony arrests a week, 3 DWI's a month and you will have some officers doing more but some officers doing less. If I have an officer doing 1 DWI every 4 months and everyone else is making 16 in the same period then I need to look into that. There is no qouta, but there is an idea of what can be expected.   

And I would add that much of the problem in NYC is likely at the Lieutenant and Sergeant level with the Sergeant  not holding his officers accountable. If you have officers reading news papers and goofing off, with our computerized system, GPS and ability to monitor calls an average Sergeant should be aware of that. The Lieutenant should be aware of it also and hold his Sergeant accountable.  A commander complaining that officers are lazy is sidestepping his responsibility of holding his supervisors accountable     

Probably the same % where I work, maybe even in most large corporations.  But for public employees, it's unacceptably high.  Seeing as how it's tax payer dollars, the % should be more like 1 in 100.

As for quotas, probably not a good idea but I'm sure there's some compromise somewhere in the middle.  If you have a cop that just likes to lecture and educate and give warnings more than actual citations (just from a traffic perspective), then I wouldn't have an issue.  If they are reading the newspaper, it's a problem.  But when you have a high degree of independence and discretion like most cops do, I can see where it's problematic trying to discern who is fucking off and who is working.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 06:23:15 PM »

Aww...shut up whiner.  I still never got any props in the other thread for DOING WHAT I'M SUPPOSED TO BE DOING.

Want a pat on the back for doing your job?  Then look at your fucking paycheck crybaby. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »

Aww...shut up whiner.  I still never got any props in the other thread for DOING WHAT I'M SUPPOSED TO BE DOING.

Want a pat on the back for doing your job?  Then look at your fucking paycheck crybaby. 

They pay me more than enough in my opinion... I don't require a pat on the back, but like any normal human, positive reinforcement is nice once in awhile and I get my fair share of it now and again. It's not required, but it's nice anyway