Author Topic: which wrestling trainer produced the best crop of grapplers?  (Read 11808 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: which wrestling trainer produced the best crop of grapplers?
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
who did stu train,you are kidding right,all his kids,bret,owenetc. jim nieinhartd,chris benoit,the british bulldogs,chris Jericho,the list is endless.

You may be surprised to learn that Stu did far less of the actual training than many people think.

Davey & Dynamite were both trained by Ted Betley in Lancashire before even coming to North America.

Benoit learned the basics in the "Dungeon," but earned his wrestling PhD while working in Japan.

Lance Storm & Chris Jericho were trained together by the Hart brothers. And again, both guys merely picked up the basics in Calgary while expanding their repertoire in promotions abroad.

As for the Hart boys, Hito and the Cuban Assassin conducted most of the lessons when Bret & his siblings were learning the ropes. Bret discusses that time at length in his (very lengthy) book.

You seldom hear any Dungeon graduates mention training with Stu. It sounds like he left the operation of his "school" and Stampede promotion largely in the hands of others. I get the impression that he sat in on some of the training sessions, but was nowhere near as actively involved as the public perception.

From what I've learned and observed over the years, the Harts are a lot of "talk."

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »
I guess that is actually true,that stu wasn't as much hands on,i read brets book,actually enjoyed it.but regardless it was still stus dungeon,just not necessarily his training.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2013, 04:03:41 PM »
I guess that is actually true,that stu wasn't as much hands on,i read brets book,actually enjoyed it.but regardless it was still stus dungeon,just not necessarily his training.

I enjoyed Bret's book, too, primarily because it covers many of my favorite times in wrestling. If you're interested, a good companion to that book is "Pure Dynamite" by The Dynamite Kid Tom Billington.

yates fan

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2013, 07:18:12 AM »
I will have to find that book,i didn't know dynamite wrote a book,bret talks a lot about dynamite in his book,according to bret dynamite is the first guy to introduce him to anabolics.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2013, 08:01:24 AM »
I will have to find that book,i didn't know dynamite wrote a book,bret talks a lot about dynamite in his book,according to bret dynamite is the first guy to introduce him to anabolics.

Dynamite was the first to do a lot of things, and I was always a huge mark for him. He recently sat down for a lengthy shoot project with Highspots.com. It's on my list!

You may also be interested in this thread: http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=290326.msg4120145#msg4120145

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2013, 05:26:45 AM »
Lance Storm has been turning out some good ring hands at his Calgary school.

If I was a young guy trying to break in, thats where I would go.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2013, 03:55:53 PM »
If I was a young guy trying to break in, thats where I would go.

Always a fantastic worker, and his articles indicate he's got a terrific mind for the business.

He's also very well connected, which bodes well for his students finding work connections. He even left the Fed on excellent terms, too!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »
Without a doubt Stu Hart. Hiro Matsuda as well.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »
Pitty bump...

I'm going with Verne & his AWA camp.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2015, 09:00:43 PM »
Lance Storm has been turning out some good ring hands at his Calgary school.

If I was serious about being a pro wrestler I would most likely go here. Have lots of respect for Storm.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2015, 01:23:42 AM »
If I was serious about being a pro wrestler I would most likely go here. Have lots of respect for Storm.

Austin gave Lance & his school a rub on his podcast.

I was a huge mark for Storm in the late 90's. Had he been operating his school when I was training, I most certainly would have considered and gone up North.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2015, 11:30:50 AM »
Stu Hart's dungeon bread some of the best players in the business. Benoit, Jericho, Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Lance Storm, Superstar Billy Graham, Brian Pillman, Bad News Allen, etc.