Author Topic: For weed smokers ...  (Read 21794 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: For weed smokers ...
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »
I smoked weed from the age of 13 to the age of 32, 54 now. I said the whole time it was not addictive, I was wrong. Maybe it does not effect everyone like an addiction but most people I know it did. I do not miss it now except for the smell. I love the smell of a sweet ass bud burning.

Yeah I noticed alot of you old timers will take a hit off a joint then put the lit end real close to their nose and smell it. Almost like taking 2 drags at once.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2013, 11:31:00 PM »
perhaps some of you morons should stay informed.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57356379-10391704/is-smoking-marijuana-bad-for-your-lungs/

(CBS) - Is smoking marijuana bad for your health? The question is often debated when it comes to medical marijuana, but a new study suggests if smoking pot is bad for your body, your lungs aren't bearing the brunt of the damage.

The study found occasional marijuana smoking did not negatively impact a person's lung function.

For the study, researchers performed routine pulmonary function tests on 5,115 young adults who were part 20-year study on coronary artery disease risk. The researchers wanted to test lung function against a person's "joint years" of life-time marijuana exposure. For example, if a person smoked one joint or pipe's worth of marijuana per week for 49 years, or if a person smoked one joint or pipe's worth per day for seven years, both people would be identified as having "7-joint-years" of marijuana exposure.

That might sound like a lot, but most of the marijuana smokers in this study were not heavy users, according to study co-author Dr. Stefan Kertesz, an associate professor of preventive medicine at the University of Alabama at Birgmingham.

"This is not a study focused on the kinds of individuals you would see in treatment programs for chemical dependence or in the latest 'Harold and Kumar' movie," Kertesz told CBS News in an email. Kertesz said the median marijuana smokers in the study used roughly two to three joints per month, which may include some people who would smoke frequently but then stop for a long period of time.

What the researchers find?

"With up to 7 joint-years of life-time exposure, we found no evidence that increasing exposure to marijuana adversely affects pulmonary function," the researchers wrote in study, published in the Jan. 10 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association. In fact, the researchers found a slight increase in occasional marijuana smokers' lung function. That increase may be indicative of marijuana smokers taking deep breaths and holding the smoke in, the researchers said.

At more than 10 joint-years of marijuana exposure, the researchers saw a slight decline in lung function, but the researchers said that finding was not statistically significant, so could be due to chance. Cigarette smokers, who smoked a median of eight to nine cigarettes per day, saw a significant drop in lung function over the twenty year study.

"Marijuana may have beneficial effects on pain control, appetite, mood, and management of other chronic symptoms," the researchers wrote. "Our findings suggest that occasional use of marijuana for these or other purposes may not be associated with adverse consequences on pulmonary function."

The researchers said it's more difficult to determine if long-term, heavy marijuana use is worse for lungs - because that pattern of smoking was "relatively rare" among the study participants - but they said there was a need for caution and moderation when marijuana use is considered.

Is smoking marijuana easier on the lungs than smoking cigarettes?

Kertesz told CBS News that low doses of marijuana among users who aren't addicted, "seems to pose lower risk to lungs than the typical usage patterns of cigarette smoking."

But that doesn't mean it's good for your lungs. Kertesz said smoking marijuana irritates the airways, triggers cough and phlegm production, and could be especially dangerous for asthmatics. Also, since the participants were originally enrolled in a heart study, the researchers couldn't determine how many got lung cancer.

"So don't assume that there is 'no' risk no matter who you are," Kertesz said.

Dr. Robert Glatter, an emergency medicine physician at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, told CBS News in an email, "while casual marijuana use may not reflect an immediate decrease in lung function, marijuana smoke contains high levels of tar, which is bad for your health."

Glatter said smoking marijuana could lead to chronic coughing, wheezing and potentially chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).

"Casual or recreational marijuana use is not a safe alternative to tobacco

Read the article again, idiot.

epic_alien

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2013, 11:46:02 PM »
weed is physically addicting, not to mention psychologically. The physical addiction is not intense but on par with cigs. The withdrawal syndrome is acutally in the DSM 5

I am addicted as I use it nightly to sleep and as an anti-depressant but it works quite well for me and I have no real negatives besides the want to do it. Couple that with the health benefits as documented in the lit, blood sugar control, neuroprotection, anti-inflammatory, pro-apoptic etc I think it is a fine addiction to have.

Also, what many don't know about weed is that it has a dose dependent response on serotonin, low doses massively boost it reducing OCD, improving mood while the inverse occurs for higher dosages. Some conditions have low anandamide as an etiological factor (endogenous cannabinoid) and weed treats that well. It also inhibits the orbitofrontal cortex, something which is the center of research around hyperactivity and OCD.

I do go days without it, weeks at times but I prefer to have it like a nice glass of wine (I don't drink but probably should based on the health benefits.)

why does the opposite effect occur with some individuals? having paranoia. accelerated thoughts ect?

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2013, 12:01:11 AM »
Stop smoking is for cigarettes. Weed smoke short and long term causes no damage unlike cigarettes.

Hate to spoil your joy to be ignorant fool, but when I use that your claim in the google, what I found? WP article with 161 references. It seem to me that there is lot of studies about the matter, and your claim is bullshit. It causes lot of long term damages, and not only in your lungs. In fact, there isn't any kind of smoke which doesn't make damages in your lungs, so claims like yours is plain and simple just stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_effects_of_cannabis

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2013, 05:03:55 AM »
Hate to spoil your joy to be ignorant fool, but when I use that your claim in the google, what I found? WP article with 161 references. It seem to me that there is lot of studies about the matter, and your claim is bullshit. It causes lot of long term damages, and not only in your lungs. In fact, there isn't any kind of smoke which doesn't make damages in your lungs, so claims like yours is plain and simple just stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_effects_of_cannabis

DID YOU EVEN READ YOUR OWN LINK?! SRS QUESTION.

"Although cannabis smoke contains many of the same carcinogens as tobacco smoke,[77] current scientific data supports the possibility that cannabis smoking may not induce cancer.[78] Of the various methods of cannabis consumption, smoking is considered the most harmful; the inhalation of smoke from organic materials can cause various health problems (e.g., coughing and sputum). Isoprenes help to modulate and slow down reaction rates, contributing to the significantly differing qualities of partial combustion products from various sources.[79][80] Compared to tobacco much less cannabis material in weight is burned, with the average hand rolled cigarette at about 1 gram, tobacco or cannabis. Commercial cigarettes have numerous additives, many of which modify combustion in such a way to create a very consistent aerosol at any given air flow rate, perhaps to maximize nicotine delivery/bio-availability, and thus reduce total amount of smoke consumed to nicotine crossing the blood brain barrier. A relative abundance of terpenes and other higher molecular weight, adhesive molecules results in a smoke with higher mean particle size, as well as a corresponding higher deposition rate of particulate matter. This means more is deposited on the bronchioles, and larger airways, which the lungs can clear easier, as less of the very fine, highly toxic amorphous particles reach the delicate alveoli. Cilia cannot "sweep" up the combustion products effectively. Subjective lung irritation not based upon the amount of matter crossing the semipermeable gas exchange surfaces deep in the lungs, rather the primary factor is amount of matter which adheres to motile cilium. This also contributes to a noted expectorant effect of any smoke to some extent, due to the defense system the mucus membranes in the lungs possess. The study concluded: "A significant interaction revealed that the impact of a vaporizer was larger as the amount of cannabis used increased. These data suggest that the safety of cannabis can increase with the use of a vaporizer. Regular users of joints, blunts, pipes, and water pipes might decrease respiratory symptoms by switching to a vaporizer".[81] Another study found vaporizers to be "a safe and effective cannabinoid delivery system."[82][83]

In a 20-year study of 5,000 young adults, researchers found that, unlike tobacco use, smoking cannabis once a week or a bit more doesn't harm the lungs, with less clear results regarding heavy users due to a lack of very heavy users in the study. In fact, the study found that occasional cannabis use actually increases both lung capacity and volume over the years, possibly because cannabis smokers often take deep breaths, which exercises lung tissue. The correlation only decreased after the equivalent of about ten years of smoking cannabis once a day. Only lung volume and capacity were examined, not throat irritation, coughing, or lung cancer.[84]"

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2013, 05:34:30 AM »
Ask the mexican cartels if weed ever killed anyone.
Weed or alcohol. They are indifferent. They are not "bad".
Too much of both is not good. What is too much? Well, that is up to the individual and their tolerances.
Unfortunately in our society "too much" is a good thing.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2013, 06:20:22 AM »
Yeah I noticed alot of you old timers will take a hit off a joint then put the lit end real close to their nose and smell it. Almost like taking 2 drags at once.

Great observation Poly. We never wanted to waste a thing. When a roach would get so small we would pushin the car lighter, throw the roach on it then snort in every ounce of smoke.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2013, 08:48:03 AM »
why does the opposite effect occur with some individuals? having paranoia. accelerated thoughts ect?

individual neurochemistry? the same reason someone who takes amphetamines may become manic while others do not. Also, if you aren't a regular smoker it is very hard to control the dosage, I for example will get these effects if I use to much. Once tolerance develops to a degree you can enjoy it more imo. The paranoia is a rare thing for me and is dose dependent.

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »
Great observation Poly. We never wanted to waste a thing. When a roach would get so small we would pushin the car lighter, throw the roach on it then snort in every ounce of smoke.

just don't pack it so close to the smoking end. that or tweezers. but yeah when you're paying 20 bucks per gram, you sure as hell don't wanna waste any.

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2013, 01:04:16 PM »
Getting too high is definitely a killer but some people could use those extra paranoid thoughts. A  person whose life is straight does not get paranoid. If you find yourself anxious when smoking weed you should reconsider all of your actions in life. The parnoia will help you. You won't find a weed smoker cutting people off in traffic or getting in fights at a bar. Weed suppresses your empowered ego. You use anger to power trip and do as you feel without considering the feelings of others. This is great for some applications, but to the irresponsible being it mostly brings ruin upon them.

Harness the power of life on the sober spectrum and on the high spectrum. You can sit back and watch life unfold. You do your part as best you can, and the rest is left to unfold as the caterpillar turns to the butterfly. High is not better, sober is not better, the right action for any given moment upon being either is better.

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »
Getting too high is definitely a killer but some people could use those extra paranoid thoughts. A  person whose life is straight does not get paranoid. If you find yourself anxious when smoking weed you should reconsider all of your actions in life. The parnoia will help you. You won't find a weed smoker cutting people off in traffic or getting in fights at a bar. Weed suppresses your empowered ego. You use anger to power trip and do as you feel without considering the feelings of others. This is great for some applications, but to the irresponsible being it mostly brings ruin upon them.

Harness the power of life on the sober spectrum and on the high spectrum. You can sit back and watch life unfold. You do your part as best you can, and the rest is left to unfold as the caterpillar turns to the butterfly. High is not better, sober is not better, the right action for any given moment upon being either is better.

this x1000. your subconscious mind comes into the conscious realm in altered states of reality, allowing you to explore things that are not as they should be in your life, things that cause stress and anxiety and fear, and then, once you identify them, you can address them in your sober state. this doesn't apply to just weed, but any mind-altering drug, especially psychedelics. your brain even produces the most powerful one in existence while you sleep (DMT) specifically for this purpose when you dream. it's an important aspect of the human mind and to deny that is to limit your potential.

funny how LSD was found to have extremely important applications in psychological circles, whereas the government only found it's use in trying to create mind controlled sleeper agents, tested them against unwilling individuals (MKULTRA), and then when those projects failed, deemed it "useless" and banned it so that the layman could not enrich his life. a clear case of the ego overpowering logical and impartial thought.  ;)

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »
just don't pack it so close to the smoking end. that or tweezers. but yeah when you're paying 20 bucks per gram, you sure as hell don't wanna waste any.

Funny thing is back then when I did that it was $20 an ounce, no shit.

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »
Funny thing is back then when I did that it was $20 an ounce, no shit.

:o :o :o

$100 a quarter is a good deal in my part of town nowadays. strong stuff though, i didn't mind paying it. but dayum!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »

Your typical ultra wealthy multimillionaire getbigger carelessly wipes off several grams of ultra high dollar kind bud shake from his jeans after rolling a joint.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2013, 02:15:28 PM »
Your typical ultra wealthy multimillionaire getbigger carelessly wipes off several grams of ultra high dollar kind bud shake from his jeans after rolling a joint.

That definitely made me lol.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »
:o :o :o

$100 a quarter is a good deal in my part of town nowadays. strong stuff though, i didn't mind paying it. but dayum!

Where the fuck do you live, the arctic?

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2013, 06:37:43 PM »
Where the fuck do you live, the arctic?

southern USA. but it's been around that and even higher in other places i've visited like cali and az.

unless you know a grower you're probably getting mids or regs if you paid significantly less.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2013, 06:41:34 PM »
southern USA. but it's been around that and even higher in other places i've visited like cali and az.

unless you know a grower you're probably getting mids or regs if you paid significantly less.

I've never paid over 50 for a quarter and that's triple A stuff. wow

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2013, 06:46:18 PM »

what strain

Jonny34

• Getbig III
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2013, 07:12:56 PM »

If that's the case, you have never had any Top Shelf Indica or Sativa. Shops don't sell less than 100 for a quarter of the death being lab tested at over 20% to 30%.

Maddy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Watchdog
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »
If that's the case, you have never had any Top Shelf Indica or Sativa. Shops don't sell less than 100 for a quarter of the death being lab tested at over 20% to 30%.

Alex23
smokes weed
now

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2013, 05:38:19 AM »

Ok...  ::)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »
what strain

I had access to sativas or indicas and all ratios of mixes of the two. Lots of cross strains with kush. Some Blueberry,  juicy fruit,  ak47, Champaign, different skunk varieties, white widow, white rhino. Too many to name them all in all my years.  Stopped smoking a few years ago but did just about everything else with weed that a person can do, from growing to selling to cooking with it back in the day.

I loved growing it but the paranoia I started to develop after smoking it for so many years took the enjoyment away.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2013, 06:06:03 AM »
I had access to sativas or indicas and all ratios of mixes of the two. Lots of cross strains with kush. Some Blueberry,  juicy fruit,  ak47, Champaign, different skunk varieties, white widow, white rhino. Too many to name them all in all my years.  Stopped smoking a few years ago but did just about everything else with weed that a person can do, from growing to selling to cooking with it back in the day.

I loved growing it but the paranoia I started to develop after smoking it for so many years took the enjoyment away.

This is exactly why I quit as well.