Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ  (Read 589021 times)

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ
« Reply #925 on: October 07, 2017, 02:15:02 AM »
If Mike would have filled out for 3 weeks and upped his kcal abit he would have dominated this shit so bad...

3 weeks to fill out. ??

yes he was over dieted & small for the show.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #926 on: October 07, 2017, 04:13:07 AM »
Yes. He was already in awesome shape from dieting all year to get in Zanes shape. This is a trick I learned from Milos. After a long diet you fill out as crazy the weeks after. Pop a diuretic and youre good to go.
MIRAGETROPIN

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #927 on: October 07, 2017, 05:35:43 AM »
Speaking of Roger Walker, and of Christmas trees.  His back was phenomenal.  Holy shit.

Yup, easily his best. Lots of guys were on point in 80 but fell hard by 81-82. He was one of them.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #928 on: October 07, 2017, 06:05:44 AM »
Second biggest guy there but still dwarfed by Arnold.
It's funny, Roger Walker gets little mention in this awesome line up, but he was real good that night.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #929 on: October 07, 2017, 07:38:27 AM »
I remember reading that Mentzer turned up the heat in his hotel room in Sydney, turning it into a sauna so he could dry out even more.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #930 on: November 21, 2017, 06:33:07 AM »
Look at that waist ......

WooSHHHHHHH  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #931 on: November 21, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »

WooSHHHHHHH  ;D
tom cruise upped da dose,,

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #932 on: November 21, 2017, 12:53:13 PM »
Uhhh...is that Bev Francis in that pic?

WooSHHHHHHH  ;D

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #933 on: November 21, 2017, 01:00:58 PM »

yup ....Just imagine how people used to react to her built some  37-40 years ago ....when the average Joe was around 170 lbs.

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #934 on: November 21, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »
 ;D

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #935 on: November 21, 2017, 01:47:17 PM »

yup ....Just imagine how people used to react to her built some  37-40 years ago ....when the average Joe was around 170 lbs.

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH

The Cammie Luskos and the Laura Combes of the late '70s-early '80s were considered shockingly muscular, and then Bev came on the scene and blew minds all over the place.

JAGO

• Getbig IV
  • Biden/Harris 2020
« Reply #936 on: November 21, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »
It's funny, Roger Walker gets little mention in this awesome line up, but he was real good that night.

I know what you mean . . . He was top 6 at least ( should have beaten Mike and Boyer) and I have always been a big fan.

J

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #937 on: November 21, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »

I took that photo. Arnold came with Franco to our gym at West Ryde for a seminar the day after the Mr Olympia. Funny thing after this photo was that Arnold took Bev for a short ride. Apparently he asked if she was using any steroids.

We didn't learn anything from Franco. He did adjust a few backs and that was something interesting.

Bev posed at the Olympia and we all wondered how she would be received. Well, she got a huge ovation which was nice. No one had seen such large muscles on a woman before. I helped Bev with her posing routine as well.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #938 on: November 21, 2017, 03:45:49 PM »
I took that photo. Arnold came with Franco to our gym at West Ryde for a seminar the day after the Mr Olympia. Funny thing after this photo was that Arnold took Bev for a short ride. Apparently he asked if she was using any steroids.

We didn't learn anything from Franco. He did adjust a few backs and that was something interesting.

Bev posed at the Olympia and we all wondered how she would be received. Well, she got a huge ovation which was nice. No one had seen such large muscles on a woman before. I helped Bev with her posing routine as well.

Cool pic!  Are you saying Bev guest posed at the 1980 Olympia?  She was quite a muscular sensation at the time, then she streamlined her physique, got some cosmetic surgery done and eventually finished 2nd in the Ms. Olympia.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #939 on: November 21, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
Cool pic!  Are you saying Bev guest posed at the 1980 Olympia?  She was quite a muscular sensation at the time, then she streamlined her physique, got some cosmetic surgery done and eventually finished 2nd in the Ms. Olympia.

Yes, she guest posed at the 1980 Mr Olympia. She first competed in Las Vegas in 1983 while they were making a movie about the women. That movie never went anywhere. Bev placed 8th! Ben Weider fixed the contest.

She married Steve Weinberger and went to live in New York and opened a gym. Steve insisted she look more feminine so she had a nose job.

I got divorced in 1999 so I haven't seen Bev for a long time now.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #940 on: November 21, 2017, 03:52:21 PM »
Yes, she guest posed at the 1980 Mr Olympia. She first competed in Las Vegas in 1983 while they were making a movie about the women. That movie never went anywhere. Bev placed 8th! Ben Weider fixed the contest.

She married Steve Weinberger and went to live in New York and opened a gym. Steve insisted she look more feminine so she had a nose job.

I got divorced in 1999 so I haven't seen Bev for a long time now.

I remember Bev thought she would either place 1st, or dead last.  Instead she got placed right smack in the middle...how much sense does that make??

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #941 on: November 21, 2017, 04:11:45 PM »
I remember Bev thought she would either place 1st, or dead last.  Instead she got placed right smack in the middle...how much sense does that make??

8th place is what the IFBB awards to guys like Sergio. In Bev's case, Ben and others felt that she looked too much like a man and that wasn't what the ideal for women should be.

One year Bev lost weight and did all those feminine poses but the title was never hers. Lenda Murray arrived on the stage and perhaps she was more deserving than Bev.

We never thought that the Ms Olympia would be cancelled. The IFBB never did thorough and consistent drug testing probably because it was too expensive and an accredited testing lab was necessary.

Jay Cutler challenged his disqualification and won his case because they didn't use an accredited lab for the drug tests.

Bev never tested positive for steroids as far as I know. Her best friend in Australia, Gael Martin, failed drug tests twice and was banned from athletic competitions.

Both women dominated their weight classes in powerlifting back in the late seventies and early eighties. Both set plenty of world records. Bev was the first women to officially bench press 300 pounds. Later she hoisted 330 pounds while weighing 181 pounds.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #942 on: November 21, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »

Walker always looked solid. No idea why he was passed over. Bad poser?

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #943 on: November 21, 2017, 10:08:04 PM »
Arnold & Roger

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #944 on: November 22, 2017, 06:34:54 AM »

That's awesome !

do you have any more photos from the 1980 ?

WooOSHHHHHHHH

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #945 on: November 23, 2017, 12:53:36 AM »
Arnold and Zane

BSN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #946 on: November 28, 2017, 12:10:03 PM »
Arnold, Roger, Roy and Mike

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #947 on: November 28, 2017, 02:52:07 PM »
Cool pic, never seen before, arnold looks huge even furthest away from the camera

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #948 on: November 28, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »
Mike wins this from the back.. despite the claims he had a weak back, here he had really brought it up! All the deadlifts and power cleans paid off. Callender's is good, just not very hard  looking, same with Walker, though it looks like he is not quite set in the pose. probably true of Arnold as well. Mentzer's triceps and arguably calves are the best as well.  Maybe he only seemed flat from the side and a bit from the front.?

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #949 on: November 28, 2017, 05:33:08 PM »
Mike wins this from the back.. despite the claims he had a weak back, here he had really brought it up! All the deadlifts and power cleans paid off. Callender's is good, just not very hard  looking, same with Walker, though it looks like he is not quite set in the pose. probably true of Arnold as well. Mentzer's triceps and arguably calves are the best as well.  Maybe he only seemed flat from the side and a bit from the front.?
Mike looked the best only on the relaxed quarterturn from the back. When they started the actual poses RDB and RLS he lost it.