Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ  (Read 598559 times)

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 1980 only - the lean dry champ
« Reply #1375 on: October 14, 2019, 09:49:05 AM »
He had a Half Decent Physique- Some Good bodyparts
Came up with a gimmicky catching training protocol
Yet was Mentally weak & unstable
Got well beaten in one contest & couldn’t handle it  ::)
That’s Quite Sad & Pathetic Really.

He liked to talk the talk only couldn’t walk the walk.

The odd thing about Mentzer and his philosophy (Ayn Rand / objectivism) was for being so dogmatic about it,  he really missed the point.  A true objectivist would not have cared at all about the value placed on subjective judging. Like the critics and Howard Roarks architecture. His architecture was brilliant despite what the critics said. Even if he chose to check out and no longer compete for the sake of another he still should've pursued his ideal training/physique. Instead the opinions of others and the success of others (Arnold) drove him mad. Oddly Arnold personified the ideals of rational self interest  more than Mentzer ever did.

ArnoldPlatz

• Getbig III
  • youtube.com/channel/UCM3b-ovhSj2GjARYWYWwODQ
« Reply #1376 on: October 17, 2019, 09:02:18 PM »
 :)

ArnoldPlatz

• Getbig III
  • youtube.com/channel/UCM3b-ovhSj2GjARYWYWwODQ
« Reply #1377 on: October 22, 2019, 10:30:43 PM »
 ;) :D ;D

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1378 on: March 10, 2020, 05:55:59 AM »
Hard to believe 2020 marks the 40th anniversary of the most talked about bodybuilding contest in history.

WoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1379 on: March 10, 2020, 05:58:46 AM »
74' Arnold at his best vs 1980 his leanest .

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1380 on: March 10, 2020, 06:03:46 AM »
I'm sure the brave person who took this picture was expecting Mike to flip out on him and say WTF are you doing ?

WoooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 1980

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1381 on: March 10, 2020, 06:45:12 AM »
Mentzer was a true influencer charismatic and extremely articulated.  

Ironically with his chest genetics he didn't have a chance in hell surpassing Arnold.  

Yeah I don't know what they're talking about, mentzer was just another small guy, no outstanding body parts, Arnold far superior genetically...

Nothing special imo

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1382 on: March 10, 2020, 06:46:38 AM »
He did it was his last contest ever.

What's this book? Good read?

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1383 on: March 10, 2020, 06:48:25 AM »

Mike was no ordinary bodybuilder. He was also a philosopher and writer. There was only one truth and this applies to training theories. He believed he knew the truth and Arnold and others didn’t. So when he placed 5th his world collapsed. He alone knew the truth and hence, right way to train so should have been rewarded. To Mike, that contest was fixed because so many of the judges were friends of Arnold. Since he was punished in 1980 he refused to enter any more IFBB contests. If an undeserving Arnold could win then what was the point in competing? There was none, so he abandoned bodybuilding.

He was weak mentally, just a loser quitter in the end.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #1384 on: March 10, 2020, 07:50:20 AM »

Mike was no ordinary bodybuilder. He was also a philosopher and writer. There was only one truth and this applies to training theories. He believed he knew the truth and Arnold and others didn’t. So when he placed 5th his world collapsed. He alone knew the truth and hence, right way to train so should have been rewarded. To Mike, that contest was fixed because so many of the judges were friends of Arnold. Since he was punished in 1980 he refused to enter any more IFBB contests. If an undeserving Arnold could win then what was the point in competing? There was none, so he abandoned bodybuilding.

That’s a very poor excuse he had 🙄
It was all Arnold’s Fault he Placed 5th 🙄
And went on to have a complete mental breakdown- Yeah Right.

I quite liked mike & some of what he had to say - Very Clearly His was not The Only Way To Train,
And he had his own demons with or without Arnold.
I bet he never considered that he wasn’t as good as he Thought he was.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1385 on: March 10, 2020, 08:42:28 AM »
Mike deserved 5th.  His fans are blinded by their admiration of him. If you look at the film you can see a 80% Arnold was better than a 100% Mentzer.  I wish Arnold came in his prime. There would be no discussion.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #1386 on: March 10, 2020, 12:10:25 PM »
Mike deserved 5th.  His fans are blinded by their admiration of him. If you look at the film you can see a 80% Arnold was better than a 100% Mentzer.  I wish Arnold came in his prime. There would be no discussion.

True - if only he’d been at his all time Best.... would mike self imploded on stage I wonder.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1387 on: March 10, 2020, 12:43:13 PM »
WooSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #1388 on: March 10, 2020, 05:49:28 PM »
I had another go at editing the Cover I took of Mike Mentzer way back in 1980.

From this photo you might understand why Mike and others were disappointed in his placing.

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1389 on: March 10, 2020, 05:57:55 PM »
I had another go at editing the Cover I took of Mike Mentzer way back in 1980.

From this photo you might understand why Mike and others were disappointed in his placing.

Pretty funny mentzer and other bagging Arnold's legs when mentzer is so off/ underdeveloped you cannot even see his tear drop here......

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1390 on: March 10, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »
The odd thing about Mentzer and his philosophy (Ayn Rand / objectivism) was for being so dogmatic about it,  he really missed the point.  A true objectivist would not have cared at all about the value placed on subjective judging. Like the critics and Howard Roarks architecture. His architecture was brilliant despite what the critics said. Even if he chose to check out and no longer compete for the sake of another he still should've pursued his ideal training/physique. Instead the opinions of others and the success of others (Arnold) drove him mad. Oddly Arnold personified the ideals of rational self interest  more than Mentzer ever did.

solid post
good insight

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1391 on: March 10, 2020, 06:56:49 PM »
comments on Arnold's hamstrings?

I am working super hard on the glute/ham tie in and curious what you guys say about arnold's hammys?

it seems it was not an important muscle group in the 1970s?

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1392 on: March 10, 2020, 09:21:01 PM »
comments on Arnold's hamstrings?

I am working super hard on the glute/ham tie in and curious what you guys say about arnold's hammys?

it seems it was not an important muscle group in the 1970s?

Not important at all...

The glute ham show didn't even really begin until late 80s with gaspari etc

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #1393 on: March 10, 2020, 10:11:36 PM »
Mike deserved 5th.  His fans are blinded by their admiration of him. If you look at the film you can see a 80% Arnold was better than a 100% Mentzer.  I wish Arnold came in his prime. There would be no discussion.

I don't know what is meant by being blinded by his admiration of Mike. That would far, far more apply to Arnold than Mike. Even someone like Frank Zane was really not an impressive bber. But people liked his look because it was more attainable so they always saw him in the most positive light. Many admired Mike's physique because they simply liked it. He had a unique build. That's how he became so popular. I looked at the film and I did not think Arnold was better and I'm not blind. I am a huge Arnold fan even today when so many has soured on him. Those thin legs really threw everything off. He was booed for a reason. He won that show before even entering it because he was Arnold.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #1394 on: March 10, 2020, 10:13:05 PM »
True - if only he’d been at his all time Best.... would mike self imploded on stage I wonder.

This I would absolutely agree with. A 1970-75 Arnold destroys everyone on that stage.

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #1395 on: March 11, 2020, 06:31:44 AM »
and heres the real problem with arnold winning.  he didnt look like arnold. period. we expected him to come in looking like he always did. but he didnt. he was still better than everyone else but he didnt look like "arnold". so some people say he shouldnt of won.  people like mentzer and zane etc always look good standing by themselves. but when compared to a real bodybuilder like arnold they dont  cut it. now arnold wasnt superior in every pose but he was in enough to win.  people liked menzter because they are lazy and thought his way of training would work for them ( in reality he used volume just everyone else) and zane they liked because he had a very small build like a swimmer . easily attainable for almost anyone. by himself zane did look good. but next to arnold? forget about it. and dickerson?  wtf. he shouldnt of even been on stage.  mentzer went nuts after this his world crashed around him.  just so people know. arnold did patch things up (kinda) with mike. he actually offered to help ray ( mikes brother) with hospital bills etc( ray needed a kidney) 

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1396 on: March 11, 2020, 07:14:08 AM »
and heres the real problem with arnold winning.  he didnt look like arnold. period. we expected him to come in looking like he always did. but he didnt. he was still better than everyone else but he didnt look like "arnold". so some people say he shouldnt of won.  people like mentzer and zane etc always look good standing by themselves. but when compared to a real bodybuilder like arnold they dont  cut it. now arnold wasnt superior in every pose but he was in enough to win.  people liked menzter because they are lazy and thought his way of training would work for them ( in reality he used volume just everyone else) and zane they liked because he had a very small build like a swimmer . easily attainable for almost anyone. by himself zane did look good. but next to arnold? forget about it. and dickerson?  wtf. he shouldnt of even been on stage.  mentzer went nuts after this his world crashed around him.  just so people know. arnold did patch things up (kinda) with mike. he actually offered to help ray ( mikes brother) with hospital bills etc( ray needed a kidney) 

Agree 100% on your first points...

Arnold won the show, but because he was so off from his best and didn't have that same impressive look people say he didn't deserve it.

The guys in that show were all a step down from Arnold genetically so even a 70% Arnold had them covered..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1397 on: March 11, 2020, 09:48:22 AM »
Last 3 posts kudos.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1398 on: March 11, 2020, 12:53:10 PM »
WooooooooooooSH 1980

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #1399 on: March 11, 2020, 08:55:47 PM »

best post ive read about 1980 Mr O