Author Topic: This drummer beats 'em all...INCLUDING Neil Peart  (Read 16016 times)

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
Re: This drummer beats 'em all...INCLUDING Neil Peart
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »
I would never state so-and-so is the BEST drummer, as I haven't heard every drummer. And even if I had, well, again, how can anyone assess an individual player's bucket of chops and determine these equate to a better overall bucket of chops than the next guy's? Within reason, a highly accomplished player enters a class where better-than-him arguments become subjective.  

I have never heard a drummer state that he believes he is better than Buddy. Certainly any basher who would couldn't actually be. Such ignorance and pomposity almost guarantees this individual couldn't genuinely be a world-beater in the skins department. I mean, I guess it's possible, but ... unlikely. True greatness usually doesn't boast in such a way.

I agree that Buddy's influence and impact on the world of drumming is profound and HUGE. And the man's talent is guaranteed to be forever revered.    

In general, I don't think we're as far apart in opinion as you might imagine.

There really cannot ever be a "best" when it comes to something as subjectively-assessed as musicianship. There is simply too much criteria to consider.

What one can state, however, is his favourite player.    

good post.

Also there are other factors, such as the business of music.

My cousin was a classically trained musician, he's a virtuoso on guitar, piano, drums and has a great siniging voice. his dream was to be a huge star. The closest he got was being twisted sisters drummer on a tour or two. To listen to him play Dee Sniders elementary crap you would, think he sucKed ass when the truth is he could play literally anything

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »
You don't know much on drumming, huh?
Not only is music not a contest, so nobody beats the other guy...but Lombardo isn't your most well rounded player.  Drumming is about phrasing, dynamics, dynamic contrast, and so on.  A speed metal track is fast, but that's about it.
You could have put up a ton of good players, instead that clip. ???
Have you heard of Colaiuta, Gadd, Chambers, Mayer, Carlock, Weckl...and the list goes on.  Those are top quality musicians.  Peart has great drum parts and is great in Rush, but doesn't come close to the guys I mentioned. 
Of course, you are free to like who you do.  Just know the chain of command my son.
outed.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »
I would never state so-and-so is the BEST drummer, as I haven't heard every drummer. And even if I had, well, again, how can anyone assess an individual player's bucket of chops and determine these equate to a better overall bucket of chops than the next guy's? Within reason, a highly accomplished player enters a class where better-than-him arguments become subjective.  

I have never heard a drummer state that he believes he is better than Buddy. Certainly any basher who would couldn't actually be. Such ignorance and pomposity almost guarantees this individual couldn't genuinely be a world-beater in the skins department. I mean, I guess it's possible, but ... unlikely. True greatness usually doesn't boast in such a way.

I agree that Buddy's influence and impact on the world of drumming is profound and HUGE. And the man's talent is guaranteed to be forever revered.    

In general, I don't think we're as far apart in opinion as you might imagine.

There really cannot ever be a "best" when it comes to something as subjectively-assessed as musicianship. There is simply too much criteria to consider.

What one can state, however, is his favourite player.    

Well worded.

I see your point of view.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2013, 05:03:50 PM »
Well worded.

I see your point of view.

Thank you.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »
Keith Moon

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
that buddy something drummer is my favorite

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
Nobody mentioning Colaiuta here.  Too many underexposed lads here.  And I forgot Porcaro...groove like nobody else.  Also, no mention of Gadd or Weckl.
Portnoy another mystery.  Odd meters, double bass fills...nothing crazy. Charlie Watts, remedial drumming at its best.  Rock drumming is high school, guys I mention are top pros.
I like Bohnam, but his sound is more a mixing/recording thing.  Any fat sounded reverb room, will give you a big sound.  He did have some nice grooves though.  A bit overrated, like Portnoy.
N

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2013, 07:28:16 PM »
Check out Dennis Mackeral.  One of the best in the biz today, IMO.  Saw him at a Jazz club in Toronto a few days ago.  Unreal drummer.  Had a vicious groove going on; throw in Lorne Lofsky on guitar and Kirk MacDonald on sax.  It was difficult to wrap your head around what was happening on stage, it was that good.

EwaBeachBoy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2013, 08:01:08 PM »

Vinnie Paul is the best!

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2013, 08:46:37 PM »
Nobody mentioning Colaiuta here.  Too many underexposed lads here.  And I forgot Porcaro...groove like nobody else.  Also, no mention of Gadd or Weckl.
Portnoy another mystery.  Odd meters, double bass fills...nothing crazy. Charlie Watts, remedial drumming at its best.  Rock drumming is high school, guys I mention are top pros.
I like Bohnam, but his sound is more a mixing/recording thing.  Any fat sounded reverb room, will give you a big sound.  He did have some nice grooves though.  A bit overrated, like Portnoy.
go fuck yourself.....overrated my ass

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2013, 09:13:21 PM »

If "anybody" can get John bonhams sound, how is it that his sound is so distinctive ?

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »

"John "Bonzo" Bonham is universally acclaimed as the most influential rock drummer ever. He's renowned for his peerless bass drum technique, his momumental open sound and unique groove. Led Zeppelin were progenitors of heavy metal, but they also included elements of blues, folk, jazz, physchedelia and progressive rock. And Bonzo was much more than just a heavy drummer. In his playing you can hear the swing of Buddy Rich, Max Roach and Joe Morello allied with the rocking power of Ginger Baker and Camine Appice. It's then rounded out with some Motown pop and the soul grooves of Al Jackson and Bernard Purdie." 

This is from Drummerworld and if you listen to the vid I attached you can't possibly say he is overrated.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2013, 12:32:22 AM »
Bohnam to me, is overrated still.  I've heard his Moby Dick solo, and it wasn't overly impressive.  I don't give a shit what Drumworld says.  Anyone they're talking about, of course their going to blow smoke up their ass.  Soulful like Purdie...who writes this shit. ???

Vinnie Paul, probably my favorite metal drummer.  The drum sound is a huge part of it though.  Big fat drum sounds being blended with drum triggered samples.

For Bohnam's sound not being replicated.  To track some drums in a castle and see what you get.  You ever play in a church?  Play a simple 2 4 groove and it will fill the room.  Don't get me wrong, I personally like Bohnam...but he's still overrated...almost like Hendrix or Louis, CK.

You can still be goo and be overrated, just look at Cutler.
N

basil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2013, 01:37:47 AM »
Bohnam to me, is overrated still.  I've heard his Moby Dick solo, and it wasn't overly impressive.  I don't give a shit what Drumworld says.  Anyone they're talking about, of course their going to blow smoke up their ass.  Soulful like Purdie...who writes this shit. ???

Vinnie Paul, probably my favorite metal drummer.  The drum sound is a huge part of it though.  Big fat drum sounds being blended with drum triggered samples.

For Bohnam's sound not being replicated.  To track some drums in a castle and see what you get.  You ever play in a church?  Play a simple 2 4 groove and it will fill the room.  Don't get me wrong, I personally like Bohnam...but he's still overrated...almost like Hendrix or Louis, CK.

You can still be goo and be overrated, just look at Cutler.

I don't think that Hendrix was overrated at all.  If you listen to his peers talk about him (Clapton, Roger Daltrey, etc. etc), the common statement you hear is that they were all blown away by his playing.  Many of the ppl that speak of how game-changing and influential Hendrix was, are the same ppl that were shaping RnR.  Before Hendrix, nobody was doing those things with a guitar.  After Hendrix, everybody wanted to do it.  He def. is not overrated.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »
I don't think that Hendrix was overrated at all.  If you listen to his peers talk about him (Clapton, Roger Daltrey, etc. etc), the common statement you hear is that they were all blown away by his playing.  Many of the ppl that speak of how game-changing and influential Hendrix was, are the same ppl that were shaping RnR.  Before Hendrix, nobody was doing those things with a guitar.  After Hendrix, everybody wanted to do it.  He def. is not overrated.
He's no Van Halen or Yngwie Mamlsteen.  He had a few albums.  If he wasn't black, he'd barely stand out.
Playing the guitar behind your head, not epic.  I like his playing, but waaay over rated to me...maybe not you though.
N

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2013, 05:14:02 AM »
To each their own.
Brad Wilk of Rage Against the Machine
Artimus Pyle, the second drummer for Skynyrd are both nasty.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2013, 05:20:18 AM »
He's no Van Halen or Yngwie Mamlsteen.  He had a few albums.  If he wasn't black, he'd barely stand out.
Playing the guitar behind your head, not epic.  I like his playing, but waaay over rated to me...maybe not you though.

Huh?  You obviously haven't listened to a lot of live Hendrix.  Start with "machine gun" from Band of Gypsies and go from there. You can hear him fucking around with hammering on..in 1970.

And trust me...I'm the LAST fucking dude that goes for the flashy "hype" guy.....Hendrix was for real.

Disregard most of his early stuff with some notable exceptions...Hendrix stopped with the burning guitars bullshit and fucking PLAYED in the last years of his life.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2013, 05:31:14 AM »

Huh?  You obviously haven't listened to a lot of live Hendrix.  Start with "machine gun" from Band of Gypsies and go from there. You can hear him fucking around with hammering on..in 1970.

And trust me...I'm the LAST fucking dude that goes for the flashy "hype" guy.....Hendrix was for real.

Disregard most of his early stuff with some notable exceptions...Hendrix stopped with the burning guitars bullshit and fucking PLAYED in the last years of his life.

And throw in the fact that EVERY modern guitar player cites Hendrix as an influence should tell you something.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2013, 05:36:29 AM »
hendrix was a big fan of this fella

R.A.M.

• Getbig IV
  • BOOM!! Take a Look at this hunk of Man.
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2013, 06:31:48 AM »
Gotta give Phil Collins some credit... both as a drummer and artist...

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2013, 07:20:22 AM »
"John "Bonzo" Bonham is universally acclaimed as the most influential rock drummer ever. He's renowned for his peerless bass drum technique, his momumental open sound and unique groove. Led Zeppelin were progenitors of heavy metal, but they also included elements of blues, folk, jazz, physchedelia and progressive rock. And Bonzo was much more than just a heavy drummer. In his playing you can hear the swing of Buddy Rich, Max Roach and Joe Morello allied with the rocking power of Ginger Baker and Camine Appice. It's then rounded out with some Motown pop and the soul grooves of Al Jackson and Bernard Purdie." 

This is from Drummerworld and if you listen to the vid I attached you can't possibly say he is overrated.
Would agree he is the most influential rock drummer of all time!

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2013, 07:23:31 AM »
Gotta give Phil Collins some credit... both as a drummer and artist...

No we don't actually...Phil Collins.....ugh.

Just my opinion, don't have an aneurysm.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2013, 07:30:13 AM »
hendrix was a big fan of this fella

He was Hendrix's favorite guitarist!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2013, 07:35:39 AM »
Lot of greats mentioned in this thread, but, here's a great young drummer, in his prime, NOW.

If you like this band, they're opening for the Black Crowes this Summer.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2013, 07:43:21 AM »
Lot of greats mentioned in this thread, but, here's a great young drummer, in his prime, NOW.

If you like this band, they're opening for the Black Crowes this Summer.

Nice! Song sounded like I'm a Man by Chicago!