Author Topic: MuscleMag, Oxygen, Reps Magazine done - out of business  (Read 48091 times)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
Re: MuscleMag, Oxygen, Reps Magazine done - out of business
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2013, 11:33:31 PM »

Stuntmovie, regarding to the U.S. NPC, they a not achieving too much on IFBB World championships , just check NPC's placements for the last 10 years.Contest like "Joe Weider's Mr.Olympia" can disappear very easily, Olympia is not officially sanctioned by any International BB
organization !?.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2013, 11:39:11 PM »
Muscle Mag & other US "bodybuilding" mags hardly ever reported about contests like NABBA Universe,WABBA World,NAC Universe/World,WBBF or Inba championship.
Just never ending & repetitive BS about fictional Mr.Olympia competitors training's,etc,.

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2013, 05:41:13 AM »
Those mags will not be missed: semi naked girls can be found everywhere online, en apart from a very small group of freaks and gays nobody likes the look of extreme bodybuilders. (And the stories were complete bs, basically nothing has changed since the seventies in terms of training and nutrition. Only the chemical part of BB has changed dramatically..)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2013, 05:49:02 AM »
I just remember living in NJ in the early 80's there were many local bodybuilding contests. They would sell out too. I think their might be one contest in NJ and with the now million categories of contests the place sells just from family and friends. Every gym I use to train at were plenty of guys getting ready for some contest. Now I can't find one guy at any gym getting ready for a contest.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2013, 05:50:42 AM »
I just remember living in NJ in the early 80's there were many local bodybuilding contests. They would sell out too. I think their might be one contest in NJ and with the now million categories of contests the place sells just from family and friends. Every gym I use to train at were plenty of guys getting ready for some contest. Now I can't find one guy at any gym getting ready for a contest.

Same w me in NY Metro area.  Different times.   The young dudes want nothing to do with it and don't want to put in the time or sacrifice.   

Purge_WTF

« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2013, 07:23:19 AM »
This sucks.

MM was the perfect BB magazine; it didn't BS you about the part steroids played in the pro ranks, and it wasn't sleazy like MD.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2013, 07:33:39 AM »
Bodybuilding is dead. The interest in seeing drug bloated cosmetic muscle guys posing in g string speedos is just about on life support. The sport was always driven by the magazines. Now no one buys them. Bodybuilding shows were every where in the 80's. The sales of bodybuilding magazines had really big circulations then. They are no where to be found now. Insecure teenagers and young men that were drawn to the sport are now into joining strip mall MMA gyms.

Gym memberships are big now. It's just that fitness is the goal and not the syringe.

This.

WoooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2013, 08:06:08 AM »
The Magazines introduced us to the various personalities in the sport...this is whats missing today......I knew all about King Kamali, Shawn Ray, Gunther, Mattarazzo, Dillett, etc......now I don't know any of the guys except the old-timers....

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2013, 08:15:29 AM »
The Magazines introduced us to the various personalities in the sport...this is whats missing today......I knew all about King Kamali, Shawn Ray, Gunther, Mattarazzo, Dillett, etc......now I don't know any of the guys except the old-timers....

A lot of these guys are insecure freaks.  If a few would post on the boards and just roll w the punches - it would do them a lot of good

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »
I wish nothing but the best to Bob's family and the RKP team. I know this couldn't have been easy for them to see happen since his passing.

He was a great man, and I will always respect what he built. His legacy is a spirit of unrelenting pursuit of a dream despite being handed some crummy circumstances in life. I find that inspirational.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2013, 09:52:57 AM »
A lot of these guys are insecure freaks.  If a few would post on the boards and just roll w the punches - it would do them a lot of good

I agree.....I Think all the current bodybuilders have been warned to steer clear of GetBig by the other who were flamed out of here

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »
Who ran the publishing empire at the corporate level after Robert K passed?
"

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2013, 03:24:46 PM »
Who ran the publishing empire at the corporate level after Robert K passed?

Kingz like self proclaimed "King Shizzo" run empires  ;D ;D ;D

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2013, 03:48:23 PM »

biff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2013, 04:00:33 PM »
funny enough the current 'men's physique' guys are closer in build to the 70's bb'ers we all loved, yet they get shit on, i guess because they wear shorts.

lots of guys were willing to do 'a little something' to look good in the club or beach, guys  that loved the training or repsonded well took the next step and tried to compete.  the level of drug use has become absurd though, very few want to do it, or waste the money on drugs and food, look like a joke to the general public, dont forget steroids are below a dogs ass in the publics eyes nowadays, when all there were contests and bb'ers 'everywhere' in the 80's they were legal...

and lets be honest, it was always a pretty dumb endeavor. i can see a strength contest, something like that, but a contest to see who has the prettiest muscles? c'mon

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
funny enough the current 'men's physique' guys are closer in build to the 70's bb'ers we all loved, yet they get shit on, i guess because they wear shorts.

I know it's not the popular belief around here, but I feel strongly that the Men's Physique division will be the future of bodybuilding.

"1"

SweetDaddySiki

• Getbig III
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2013, 04:14:53 PM »
I know it's not the popular belief around here, but I feel strongly that the Men's Physique division will be the future of bodybuilding.

...not that there's anything wrong with that...

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2013, 04:23:30 PM »

"1"

Technically, you can't hardly call this 'bodybuilding', it's more body shaping/fitness/sculpting/etc.
Lately, I brought a visit to a local show, and during the physique rounds, must guys in the public used those 15-20 mins for a meal or a toilet visit.
It attracts, just like women's figure & bikini, another public, so let them organize separate shows for this.

biff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2013, 04:29:37 PM »

"1"
i agree

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2013, 06:24:20 PM »
Oxygen, MuscleMag, Reps are in the process of declaring bankruptcy and all of employees have been sent home.

Business for these magazines are over, and as of right now, no more issues coming out, as the printer is owed thousands, and halted everything.

Sad to see the end of an era in the publishing world.

--> Discussions with Musclephone, as he gets the credit for bringing it up

You mean this issue with Arnold is the LAST ONE?

Well, it's just Flex and MD, now.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
Totally in agreement with ONE  regarding the future of Men's Physique evemts.

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2013, 06:58:09 PM »

"1"

And if Kai somehow wins the Olympia, you'll see that change take place within a year, IMO.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
Does anyone actually think the public will accept drugged physiques? It has ruined the sport and destroyed women's bodybuilding. It is as clear as day that this is what is responsible. What are they doing about it? Absolutely nothing. Pathetic individuals.

Look at the nonsense of wearing those long board shorts for a contest. Again, dopes running the sport. We can expect more embarrassing decisions in the future.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »
The jig is up...Before forums got going full force, 20% of people who bought the magazines didn't really know that bodybuilding was a really gay "sport". Now everyone with a computer can go on a forum and see whats really going on in that business. So a straight man going to a store and buying a men's bodybuilding magazine is actually seen as quite gay. And when he goes to a forum and tells his buddies about the new mag he just bought, a lot of them will call him gay. I thought I read somewhere that bodybuilding is an 80/20% split...And now that forums are full force, a lot of the straight guys got far away from it and it's more like 90/10%...

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2013, 07:14:25 PM »
Real question, who the hell still buys bodybuilding mags?
lmfao, so true. What is amazing is that they re still not all finished. Hopefully with the internet everyone will know once and for all about the reality of steroids and stop buying these pieces of trash that are not worth the paper they re printed on. I swear the ``writers`` must have been using the same article automatic random generator for like 40 years it's ridiculous.