Author Topic: Just saw Man of Steele - (Warning-Spoilers Inside)  (Read 41118 times)

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Just saw Man of Steele
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2013, 04:05:48 PM »
Prior to the Exile storyline in the comic books Superman sentenced General Zod, Zaora and Quexuyulx (can't remember spelling) to death by green kryptonite exposure when left with no outs.  In one cut of Superman II after removing Zod, Ursa and Non's powers with red Kryptonite they're all killed when they fall into the cold depths of the fortress of solitude.   In the comics the storyline that follows the death of the Krytonians is Superman's self-exile due to anguish over his killing them.  In MOS after snapping Zod's neck Kal lets out huge, anguish filled scream over intentionally killing Zod.  When confronted with Doomsday in "Death of" saga Superman has no choice but to take Doomsday's life.  In the Justice League series an alternate universe version of Superman lobotomizes and kills Doomsday.  Most are calling the death scene in MOS controversial, as a Supes fan I'm calling it par for the course in terms of established Superman mythos.

^This.

Considering who wrote this I'm not surprised that the movie would go as dark as the Batman movies. If you don't want to see this then avoid the sequels.

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2013, 04:40:02 PM »
Loved the movie... didn't like Amy Adams in it (did anyone else think she was about 10-15 overweight, her face and butt looked a little too round).  Also didn't like how she showed up in the train station at the end after Zod and Supes had been fighting over several miles of city.

I prefer the Krypton of the '70s movie, with its clean, monochromatic look.  The new Krypton has giant flying insects and dinosaurs WTF...

Christopher Reeves did a hell of lot more acting in his movies than Cavill did in this new one... the guy barely spoke

A small snippet of the original score would have been nice, just 15 seconds or so...

Did anyone notice the young Lana Lang in the flashback...?

Also didn't like the revenge he did to the trucker in the little bar fight, I thought it was unoriginal to jack up the semi...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2013, 05:13:37 PM »
MOS, I just finished reading your SUPERMAN APPRECIATION post and have to admit that I was impressed by your dedication to Supe and the story-line throughout the years. I read the Supe comic books as a kid and then stopped for a good number os years until I started collecting them once again to lock up and give to various family members.

A few family members and friends have worked on a couple of the Supe Hollywood movies and we discuss SuperHero movie making a lot when we gather together.

If you send me your email address, I'll send you Supe stuff that you will most likely cherish.

I go a bit overboard when Hollywood decides to make a SuperHero movie with some of the actors who have no right to  wear a super-hero costume.

I manage to complain a lot .... especially when there was the possibility that Nicholas Cage was going to play the Superman part in a  move that never got off the ground nor leap over tall buildings.

I always suggest that they use actors who look similar to what the original super-hero artist intended ..... but they always say ... "Who looks like that that can act in front of a camera?"

More on this but I gotta add the following before I sign off .....

A few years back I wrote a few posts about a friend who wore a Superman suit  under his regular everyday Clark Kent suit and tie and attended school that way for a very long time.

He was a totally dedicated Superman fan who actually wanted to be Superman everyday. (He even knew the exact location of the phone booths in his neighborhood.) TRUTH!!!!

And I do recall kids who would hop into a fight in which the bully was winning while singing or humming the old Superman radio show tune.

And sadly I do recall one young kid who died after attempting to fly off a high building. I recall reading that not too long ago someplace.

So , YOU are not alone regarding your appreciation of Supe and his adventures.

But I still did not like the movie after ZOD came on board.

And I had absolutely no idea that Supe ever killed anyone in the comic book.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »
MOS, I forgot to mention the following Superman story that was obviously connected to the roid frenzy before the roid frenzy became popular.

This one is still locked up someplace unaccessible but if I can recall the storyline ... it went something like this ......

Superman flies through some type of steroid like meteor shower that causes him to get so extremely muscular that he loses control of his super-powers and gets destructive.

I think that that was the writer's attempt to discourage the use of steroids way back a long while ago.

It was a good attempt but it failed miserably.

I'll see if I can find that story or the actual comic on the net.

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
  • DC Comics Pro and TEAM MUSCLECENTER
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »
as a guy who worked on the Man of Steel comic (if that means anything, not trying to brag), I thought it was excellent.  A different take for sure, but a fresh modern take I felt.  Superman is a legitimate bad ass for once instead of a perfect boy scout.  Also, I like the more serious approach to the movie; sick of light-hearted humor/cheesy lines like the Marvel movies always do (pandering to families/kids).  I was also expecting that with this movie, but so glad that they kept it down.  Will be watching again tomorrow to try and catch more of "easter eggs" in the background.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2013, 10:01:53 PM »
as a guy who worked on the Man of Steel comic (if that means anything, not trying to brag), I thought it was excellent.  A different take for sure, but a fresh modern take I felt.  Superman is a legitimate bad ass for once instead of a perfect boy scout.  Also, I like the more serious approach to the movie; sick of light-hearted humor/cheesy lines like the Marvel movies always do (pandering to families/kids).  I was also expecting that with this movie, but so glad that they kept it down.  Will be watching again tomorrow to try and catch more of "easter eggs" in the background.

Marvel definitely has that "light hearted humor" thing going... it works sometimes, other times I want to punch myself in the face. But on the whole I still enjoy the Marvel flicks.

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
  • DC Comics Pro and TEAM MUSCLECENTER
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2013, 10:17:35 PM »
Marvel definitely has that "light hearted humor" thing going... it works sometimes, other times I want to punch myself in the face. But on the whole I still enjoy the Marvel flicks.

Amen! That's why I haven't gotten the nerve to watch Iron Man 3 yet, knowing what is inevitable.  Shit, I wanted to murder myself after the first scene in GI Joe: Retaliation where the Rock was playing a video game and acting "cute."

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 10:20:22 PM »
I will admit, the death scene bothered me because I don't think I've ever seen him kill but they wrote it in a way that gave him no choice. Obviously this was written this way to generate conversation but at the same time, ease fanboys.

rooseveltdunn

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2013, 10:37:30 PM »
Good acting, amazing special effects...but the plot felt thin, it almost felt like Michael Bay directed this film, the screenplay was weak and they relied on too many cliches and tropes without having any of the depth that the dark knight had. Jonathan Nolan should have written the screen play for this movie.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 10:52:35 PM »
Loved the movie... didn't like Amy Adams in it (did anyone else think she was about 10-15 overweight, her face and butt looked a little too round).  Also didn't like how she showed up in the train station at the end after Zod and Supes had been fighting over several miles of city.

I prefer the Krypton of the '70s movie, with its clean, monochromatic look.  The new Krypton has giant flying insects and dinosaurs WTF...

Christopher Reeves did a hell of lot more acting in his movies than Cavill did in this new one... the guy barely spoke

A small snippet of the original score would have been nice, just 15 seconds or so...

Did anyone notice the young Lana Lang in the flashback...?

Also didn't like the revenge he did to the trucker in the little bar fight, I thought it was unoriginal to jack up the semi...

Did ya see the LexCorp tanker?   ;)

Also, I found that it got old with the camera zooming in, then out...or vice versa with the CGI.  Ok, we get it...it's a cool thing you can do with computers now.

I found the destruction of the city pretty much over the top.  People are bitching about the killing of Zod, yet we are led to believe that no one died in the collateral damage of all those buildings coming down?

No fortress of solitude?

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2013, 11:28:58 PM »
Spoilerish

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/14/david-goyer-tells-me-about-his-plans-for-and-problems-with-the-man-of-steel-sequel/

We believe that Warner Bros.’ plan right now is to get a sequel to Man of Steel underway and only after that move screenwriter David Goyer, and very likely director Zack Snyder, onto Justice League. Unless Man of Steel somehow ends up being a flop – and so far, that’s very much not happening – I would expect them to stick with this scheme.

And it’s not a brand new plan. Back when David Goyer first started work on the Man of Steel screenplay, the studio told him to leave their options open and make sure the film could, if everything worked out at the box office, form the beginnings of DC Comics Movieverse.

So Goyer did that. There’s nothing in this film that should prevent the introduction of a Batman, an Aquaman, a Wonder Woman or a Flash.

But it looks to me, in fact, that while leaving the way open for the introduction of other superheroes, Goyer has simultaneously made some different sequel problems for himself. At the very least, he’s reinvented Superman in such a way that many of the old standby tropes we know from 75 years of comics, radio, TV and film just aren’t going to fly anymore.

I have to say, that’s one of the things I most enjoyed about Man of Steel, and I do feel very curious about what new, distinctive directions that any sequels will have to take this story and these characters.

Here’s some of what Goyer had to say on the subject of a Man of Steel sequel when I sat down with him yesterday. Check out the problem solving he’s going to have to do – and also the ideas for the follow up that he’s clearly already had.

Chris [Nolan] was very clear that the Dark Knight trilogy exists in its own finite universe. But everybody is aware that it was Warner’s intention there would be some kind of shared universe.

I believe I wrote a Lexcorp easter egg into the script and we mentioned STAR Labs at one point, which some comic book readers will be aware of. Zack slipped in the Wayne Industries satellite and I first saw that in the rough cut.

The challenge for us moving forward is how to depict Superman in a world like this, in a world where Twitter exists, in a world with social media. To me, the interesting challenge is “Could he solve hunger in the horn of Africa? What would he do with the Arab Spring? What would he do in Syria?”

Partly you could argue “How could he not intervene in something like the situation in Syria?” but the other argument is “Is it a hornet’s nest if her intervenes? Does he have the wherewithal or the knowledge to intervene in something like this?”

To me, that’s the interesting challenge. It’s easier for Batman because he just exists in this little pocket of the world, he’s not violating sovereign airspace every day.

There is musing about Lex Luthor, conversations that Zack and I have had on set, but it all depends on what happens over the next month. There are obviously those Lexcorp easter eggs in the film and clearly you can see from that, to the extent to which we can intuit things about Lex, it’s not the Gene Hackman version. This is a Bill Gates-like Lex that is probably worth 50, 60, 70 billion dollars. It’s a very different Lex.

Okay, let me warn you that from here on out we’re into something more like spoiler territory. You may prefer to click away, or just skip down now to the end of the italicised comments.

Right. So up next is what David had to say when talking about the lack of a Clark Kent disguise or alias in the film, and how easy it is for folks to recognise this version of Kal-El whenever they see him.

In our minds there are people in Smallville who know Superman’s secret as well [as Lois], Pete Ross seems to know, there’s probably a couple dozen people who know and we thought it would be interesting if they’re protective of him.

We were able to sidestep the issue of the ludicrous glasses disguise in this film but going forwards, we’re going to find ourselves in a sticky wicket. Zack and I have definitely talked about “Okay, hmm, this will be interesting.” Clearly Perry White and Steve Lombard see Lois kissing Superman at the end of the film. Perry’s not an idiot. Moving forward, he’s probably going to say to Lois “What’s up with that?” We’re definitely going to have to go through some story gymnastics.

Thanks again to Goyer for giving up a good chunk of time to talk with me. Please do come back for more from our interview over the weekend.

Clayton Bigsby

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2013, 01:05:37 AM »
I liked the movie, didn't love it. Like stunt said, the first part was good with a pretty interesting story. Then it just got to be too much, too much fighting, punching, destruction. Amy Adamsas Louis Lane was a BIG mistake.

One thing I noticed that I don't think anyone else mentioned was the similarities to Jesus. Where do I start, supermans dad who seemed like god sends him to earth to be the hope of humanity. Supermans dad was the scientist who created this "hope" for humanity. Superman was 33 years old when he actually becomes superman, same age jesus died. Supermans DNA was comprised of all the elders souls of the past, just like how Jesus lives within all of us. Supermans dad even when dead was everywhere, his consciousness as he called it was there to guide Clark and advise him/ show him the way.....like god. There is a line in the movie where the girl from Zods crew says "evolution will always win" then superman proceeds to kick her ass. The main point was like I already said, he was to become the hope of humanity and to use his skills in a good way to help people. 

I know that not all of us are believers but that doesn't matter, I think anyone could recognize these similarities.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2013, 05:00:30 AM »
I loved it and will be seeing it again.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 05:21:47 AM »
Loved the movie... didn't like Amy Adams in it (did anyone else think she was about 10-15 overweight, her face and butt looked a little too round).  

Screenshot?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 08:14:46 AM »
MOS, I just finished reading your SUPERMAN APPRECIATION post and have to admit that I was impressed by your dedication to Supe and the story-line throughout the years. I read the Supe comic books as a kid and then stopped for a good number os years until I started collecting them once again to lock up and give to various family members.

A few family members and friends have worked on a couple of the Supe Hollywood movies and we discuss SuperHero movie making a lot when we gather together.

If you send me your email address, I'll send you Supe stuff that you will most likely cherish.

I go a bit overboard when Hollywood decides to make a SuperHero movie with some of the actors who have no right to  wear a super-hero costume.

I manage to complain a lot .... especially when there was the possibility that Nicholas Cage was going to play the Superman part in a  move that never got off the ground nor leap over tall buildings.

I always suggest that they use actors who look similar to what the original super-hero artist intended ..... but they always say ... "Who looks like that that can act in front of a camera?"

More on this but I gotta add the following before I sign off .....

A few years back I wrote a few posts about a friend who wore a Superman suit  under his regular everyday Clark Kent suit and tie and attended school that way for a very long time.

He was a totally dedicated Superman fan who actually wanted to be Superman everyday. (He even knew the exact location of the phone booths in his neighborhood.) TRUTH!!!!

And I do recall kids who would hop into a fight in which the bully was winning while singing or humming the old Superman radio show tune.

And sadly I do recall one young kid who died after attempting to fly off a high building. I recall reading that not too long ago someplace.

So , YOU are not alone regarding your appreciation of Supe and his adventures.

But I still did not like the movie after ZOD came on board.

And I had absolutely no idea that Supe ever killed anyone in the comic book.
Yeah, I'm always just so thankful that Superman movies are made period that I defend them LOL!

I was absolutely the kid that wanted to be Superman....every sheet, towel and pillowcase was a cape for me as a kid LOL!!

Superman just resonated with me.  It was the combination of seemingly limitless strength and power coupled with the combo of confidence and humility.   I always chuckle at the now cliche group of folks that always say, "I don't like Superman....I'd rather be Batman....he's waaay cooler and more realistic."  Yet they've never cracked a Batman book LOL.   I love Batman too and they're right....he definitely ain't no Superman LOL!!  People that don't like Superman are simply ignorant of what has been laid down in the comics.

I wish that I had folks in my life that had interest in superhero movies and comic books and all that.....I'm the lone nerd in a sea of yuppies ordering veggie wraps and skinny lattes while watching The Notebook or Les Miserables.

I really liked Faora in this film.....she laid the smackdown on everyone LOL.

99% of the time Superman had a no killing policy, but only in those most desperate of circumstances would he take a life....didn't happen often.   Still I can recall two comic versions of Zod and 1 movie version of Zod that were all killed by Superman.  The second comic version of Zod was killed when Superman snapped his neck.  Can't forget Superboy Prime that has killed tons of folks actually.....heroes and villians alike.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2013, 08:17:14 AM »
A realistic Superman (if he really did exist in this day and age) would probably have killed a few people every now and then, especially great threats to mankind.

He may be alien but he has human emotions as well.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2013, 08:21:58 AM »
A realistic Superman (if he really did exist in this day and age) would probably have killed a few people every now and then, especially great threats to mankind.

He may be alien but he has human emotions as well.

Exactly   

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
Did ya see the LexCorp tanker?   ;)

Also, I found that it got old with the camera zooming in, then out...or vice versa with the CGI.  Ok, we get it...it's a cool thing you can do with computers now.

I found the destruction of the city pretty much over the top.  People are bitching about the killing of Zod, yet we are led to believe that no one died in the collateral damage of all those buildings coming down?

No fortress of solitude?

Did you catch the Wayne Enterprises logo?   ;)

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2013, 08:25:33 AM »
I know that if i had Supermans powers, i'd turn USA and Europe back to the glory-days, since i am a man with but a few morals these days :D

SquatsRule

• Getbig IV
  • I am "teh sexy"
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2013, 09:32:55 AM »
Has anybody seen it in 3d yet? I saw the 2d version with my daughter. How is the 3d?
S

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2013, 12:47:02 PM »
  Too much CGI

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »
Short review of the movie. Some reviews are 15+minutes.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »
Fighting was good
But too much lovey emotional crap... Was like a chick flick
And Louis was ugly
choice is an illusion

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »
MOS saw MOS 11 hours ago......loved every second of it!!!!  The vast majority of folks that dislike this film like nothing about Superman and I care nothing about their reviews.   They didn't grow up with the Donner films, they don't read the books, collect the toys, collect the merch, etc......for most this is a summer popcorn movie with splosions and a dude in a Superman costume.  The character means nothing to them.  

For me, my first movies in theaters were Star Wars and Superman the Movie.  I loved Superman the Movie and it's been my favorite movie my entire life.  I collected and played with every scrap of Supes stuff I could get my hands on.  Love the comic books....have a crates of books in my garage.  I used to draw Superman and write my own Superman stories.  Every Sunday I would take my parents' newspaper, take out the funnypaper/comics, go write to Superman, read it and then cut out the image of Superman and fly it around my house. Dressed up repeatedly as Supes for Halloween.  I owned all the old Superman cartoons and vhs and now dvd.  Faithfully watch Lois and Clark.  Faithfully watch Smallville until they basically took Superman out of the show LOL.  I can quote every line of Superman the Movie, Superman II and Superman III and Superman IV (saw this for my 12th birthday in theaters with friends).  I loved Superman Returns even though everyone else hated it LOL.  I still collect Superman action figures to this day....bought one this morning before I saw MOS LOL.  I love the character of Superman and have my entire life.  In short, I am a fan of Superman; hence my Getbig handle "Man of Steel".  For me MOS was glorious and wonderful....everything I ever wanted to see Supes do on the screen.....just loved this movie.  

That said, for those reviewers who are pretty much like, "Eh, MOS was a Superman movie and it was just 'meh' for me.....I don't really like Superman anyways."  Those reviews are my current toilet paper LOL.

ROTFL!!!!!!!

I logged into Getbig wondering if "Man of Steel" had reviewed Man of Steel. Lo and behold, a few posts down, there it is.

I agree this is a great film, but it's more of a love letter to the hard core fans. The damsel in distress Lois Lane was almost portrayed in a politically incorrect way (which was sort of refreshing). Very masculine, secretly conservative. A lot of themes that the foppish limp wrist critics hate with a vengeance.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »
is it a Marvel movie?