Author Topic: Guys who had the title that should not have  (Read 12137 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: Guys who had the title that should not have
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 11:48:54 PM »
David Arquette was a slap in the face to every pro wrestler.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 02:15:15 AM »
David Arquette was a slap in the face to every pro wrestler.

The only good thing about that angle is that he supposedly donated his pay from that deal to Owen Hart's family.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 05:23:09 AM »
The stories of his ditziness are just incredible. Tying his boot laces together then getting up and falling down, falling asleep in his car out front of the building he was set to perform and having to be woken up and rushed to the ring, messed up out of his mind and looking out into the crowd for some girl during a Rick Flair match, being late to matches because he couldn't read directions properly, wearing a mask while also wearing a jacket that said "Kerry" on the back, running his motorcycle into a cop car while wearing nothing but running shorts(no helmet, shirt or shoes) and having to have his foot amputated because he got up to walk across the room for a cheeseburger before it was properly healed(although I don't know if that one is true or not)

Has anyone seen the match with him and Lawler for the Unified Title? Kerry blades his arm before the match ever starts and has blood running down his robe and body forcing Lawler to immediately start working the arm. Then when the match is over Kerry thinks he won and grabs the belt and leaves.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 05:32:48 AM »
 :o
Link  ???

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 05:34:03 AM »
:o
Link  ???

I'll see if I can find it.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 05:46:25 AM »
Heres the match the enerance has been edited down. But not only can you see Kerry cut himself again at 2.38 he cut himself before he left the locker room. And who knows they might have even told him he was going over or he didn't remember the finish.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 09:59:02 AM »
Has anyone seen the match with him and Lawler for the Unified Title? Kerry blades his arm before the match ever starts and has blood running down his robe and body forcing Lawler to immediately start working the arm. Then when the match is over Kerry thinks he won and grabs the belt and leaves.

I think him leaving with the belts was just part of the planned finish. 

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
I think him leaving with the belts was just part of the planned finish. 

Maybe but it wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't even remember the finish either.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 10:26:33 AM »

Maybe but it wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't even remember the finish either.

Sad but true.  You were around Fritz some i'm assuming.  How did he come across?  I dont want you to say anything you dont feel comfortable with, but damn his boys were a trainwreck. 

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 12:55:03 PM »
Sad but true.  You were around Fritz some i'm assuming.  How did he come across?  I dont want you to say anything you dont feel comfortable with, but damn his boys were a trainwreck. 

There is nothing that I feel uncomfortable talking about, especially the Von Erichs ;D
This is gonna be long, sorry.

I never met Fritz until around 92 or 93. Right after Kerry died we went to his Ranch with Bob Orton Sr. (holy fuck what a crazzzy day I'll tell the story in another thread.) Then in 96 or 97 We went back out to his Ranch with Terry Funk and a Japanese reporter. I think I posted those pics here. From that point on they made piece with each other and would visit offten.

My old man and Fritz did not get along because of a non wrestling related business deal which is the reason that soon after Ed McLamore died and Fritz took over my dad stopped coming to Dallas to wrestle. In the early 80's at the end of my dads career my parents moved to Dallas to be closer with to my moms family. My dad worked for Fritz a few times but stopped and then soon retired shortly after except for some stuff with Watts in Oklahoma.  One of the reasons for the heat between them in the 80's was Fritz and Gary Hart, who was booking World Class at the time sent my dad to wrestle several places and when he got there he wasn't on the card. But I myself am confused about that whole thing. Also Fritz was wanting my dad to put over his boys and other young wrestlers and my dad would not do it. IMO that wasn't right. He was on his way out of the bussines and should have help get the young guys over. But, that's the way he was and he did not like Fritz.

on a side note at Fritz's funeral a TV reporter asked to speak with my dad. My old man was still in full Kayfabe mode and told the reporter "I just came here today to make sure the son of a bitch was really dead."

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »

IMO the boys were a train wreck because of pressure from Fritz. They were over huge and were probably the main reason why World class did so well. That's not to say they didn't want to wrestle. Of course they did. What kid doesn't want to be like daddy.

I also think all the older guys liked to give all the Von Erich boys drugs and what ever they wanted for their own entertainment

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 04:02:51 AM »
Karl I love the kayfabe funeral story.  That was awesome!!!!

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 06:52:52 AM »
Karl I love the kayfabe funeral story.  That was awesome!!!!

i couldnt contain my laughter, one of the best lines ive ever read on any board, any topic ha ha

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 07:10:55 AM »

Yeah that was "Superclash" I believe. Sort of like a last ditch effort for the territories to put together a big cross promotional event to compete with Vince.

That was just a disaster from the very start. WTH was Kerry thinking cutting himself BEFORE getting into the ring lol

cannon_fodder

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
Batista
Diesel

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »
Batista
Diesel

Batista at least had the look.

Diesel I am a bit torn on now that I see it... Creatively I think both Nash and his co-hort Scott Hall were pretty smart, but never knew when to give up on a gimmick... (NWO) so I can see him getting the strap for a bit.

I dunno. He was certainly not the worst guy to ever hold the title.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 11:00:25 AM »
i was a kid when Jim won the title, essentially he was the only one that could take the title from Hogan due to how over he was. Hogan couldnt have the strap forever, and he wouldnt have been able to feud with Rick Rude in the way Warrior did. Whilst in hindsight i would agree based on ability, id have to say he deserved a crack based on his look and popularity.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 11:12:51 AM »
Ultimate Warrior   

oh, brother  ::)

He was crazy over, so I don't see how he couldn't get the title at some point.

He wasn't a great wrestler, but he had the look and the fans loved the guy.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2013, 06:30:35 AM »
i was a kid when Jim won the title, essentially he was the only one that could take the title from Hogan due to how over he was. Hogan couldnt have the strap forever, and he wouldnt have been able to feud with Rick Rude in the way Warrior did. Whilst in hindsight i would agree based on ability, id have to say he deserved a crack based on his look and popularity.

I'd go with the guy who beat Warrior for the title, Sgt. Slaughter. Tunney made it clear that Warrior and Hogan would not have a rematch So, it was just a matter of waiting for a heel to beat the Ultimate one and then have that guy drop it to the Hulkster.

But Slaughter? He wasn't built to last. Once the first Iraq conflict ended, there went his heat. I wouldn't have minded Dibiase beating Warrior. Heck, I was even pulling for Ravishing Rick Rude at SummerSlam '90.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2013, 06:39:27 AM »
I'd go with the guy who beat Warrior for the title, Sgt. Slaughter. Tunney made it clear that Warrior and Hogan would not have a rematch So, it was just a matter of waiting for a heel to beat the Ultimate one and then have that guy drop it to the Hulkster.

But Slaughter? He wasn't built to last. Once the first Iraq conflict ended, there went his heat. I wouldn't have minded Dibiase beating Warrior. Heck, I was even pulling for Ravishing Rick Rude at SummerSlam '90.

i would actually say the Sarge drew more heat than just about and heel i can think of for a short period of time. He was a turn coat siding with the enemy and burning the flag, i hated him as a kid and im not even American! He was an obvious transitional champ but he had the perfect gimmick to carry a brilliant angle, when America needed a hero the most Hogan came and took the title back. This in turn lead to Sarge turning face again, a great move which generated alot of cheers from the crowds.

Rude should have beaten Warrior no doubt. The cage match provided the perfect platform - the Heenan family could have seen to it but unfortunately this is something we will never be able to witness.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2013, 09:43:26 AM »
i would actually say the Sarge drew more heat than just about and heel i can think of for a short period of time. He was a turn coat siding with the enemy and burning the flag, i hated him as a kid and im not even American! He was an obvious transitional champ but he had the perfect gimmick to carry a brilliant angle, when America needed a hero the most Hogan came and took the title back. This in turn lead to Sarge turning face again, a great move which generated alot of cheers from the crowds.

Rude should have beaten Warrior no doubt. The cage match provided the perfect platform - the Heenan family could have seen to it but unfortunately this is something we will never be able to witness.

I don't think Slaughter burned the flag. On the Hulkamana anthology, he talks about how they wanted him to do so with the goal of really pushing his heel persona. Sarge said no; but, the brass kept persisting. So, Slaughter says he came up with a compromise.

Instead of burning the flag, he put Hogan's T-Shirt on a pole and burned it like a flag. Slaughter claims, back then, burning Hogan's shirt like that was as bad as (if not, worse than) burning Old Glory itself. And, it worked like a charm.

But, again, it was too short term. Once the Iraq war ended, so did Slaughter. In one year, he went from main-eventing WrestleMania 7 to being in a useless go-grab-some-popcorn-time 8-man tag match at WrestleMania 8.

You do have a point, though. Dibiase, Savage, and Earthquake's feuds with Hogan had pretty much run their course from '88 to '90. By '91, after Slaughter fizzled out, there were no major heels to face Hogan, besides Flair. And, since they were saving him for Hogan at WrestleMania 8 (originally), Undertaker got the top heel spot by default.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
Legend has it that, when proposed with the flag-burning idea, Bob Slaughter rejected it because he already had enough serious heat - even receiving threats of physical harm.

The other legend is that the office changed the site of that year's Mania after receiving a bomb threat on the original location; although some say that the old man chose to switch to a smaller arena after failing to draw an adequate gate. Can't have too many empty seats at the biggest show.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2013, 10:27:25 AM »
He was crazy over, so I don't see how he couldn't get the title at some point.

He wasn't a great wrestler, but he had the look and the fans loved the guy.

The UW character was perfect for that demographic at that time.

However, that time would soon end.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2013, 10:55:53 AM »
Legend has it that, when proposed with the flag-burning idea, Bob Slaughter rejected it because he already had enough serious heat - even receiving threats of physical harm.

The other legend is that the office changed the site of that year's Mania after receiving a bomb threat on the original location; although some say that the old man chose to switch to a smaller arena after failing to draw an adequate gate. Can't have too many empty seats at the biggest show.

Slaughter said that himself (once on the Hulkamania anthology DVD and once on the WWE Legends show), that he didn't want to burn the flag. So, he substituted it with Hogan's T-Shirt.

He also claimed his family needed security and he needed to wear a bullet-proof vest in certain arenas.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »
Slaughter said that himself (once on the Hulkamania anthology DVD and once on the WWE Legends show), that he didn't want to burn the flag. So, he substituted it with Hogan's T-Shirt.

He also claimed his family needed security and he needed to wear a bullet-proof vest in certain arenas.

I'd like to know if any of those comments are a work. Sarge is from that "kayfabe-til the death" generation. I'm sure there's some truth, but also some embellishment.