Author Topic: Im a 16 year old kid , I need some advice on how to start.  (Read 8700 times)

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
Re: Im a 16 year old kid , I need some advice on how to start.
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2005, 03:37:59 PM »
BenFun...u are a sick puppy,,is that your son or is that u,,,i would never send a personal message to anyone..

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2005, 03:42:31 PM »
I am just being honest,,but someone that has to post a fake picture of someone and a fake qoute,,give me a break,,it's easy to fool people on the internet,,i live in California,,San Diego...if u want to see the real me,,come down and see me,,,, or look me up..i won the Teen California  10 years ago.

FlexGuns

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2005, 04:19:25 PM »
Kid,,the main thing about bodybuilding is being consistent,,train hard and most important is LOVE what you are doing..I love to workout and stay healthy.

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2005, 07:37:10 PM »
Kid,,the main thing about bodybuilding is being consistent,,train hard and most important is LOVE what you are doing..I love to workout and stay healthy.
true stuff

Blood

• Getbig II
  • Do something with your life...get fat.
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2005, 09:58:28 PM »
I started lifting at 14; the workouts Loomis and the other guys posted should be good beginner routines. Start out easy using perfect form and you won't disappoint yourslef one bit.
And another thing...
It appears Jedi Knight has spent too much time with his lightsaber up his ass, so it will do some good to ignore him. Even if you are stocky (which Jedi evidently takes to mean fat as hell) it will give you some body weight to work with and will probably help you get stronger quicker. Good luck buddy.
SRHS Raiders

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2005, 10:13:59 PM »
Define "stocky".

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2005, 12:03:13 AM »
kid remember one thing..............the key to success is steroids, steroids, and more steroids
Valhalla awaits.

Tailz

• Getbig II
  • Are you bullet proof? THEN STFU!
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2005, 12:24:35 PM »
kid remember one thing..............the key to success is steroids, steroids, and more steroids

hahaha that was as good as "Punch your self in the head genius"  :P

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2005, 03:19:26 PM »
here is a basic starter routine...

monday- abs/chest/back

wednesday- shoulders/arms

friday- quads/hams/calves

all other days rest, you grow when you rest, not in the gym

Notes:

- 5- 10 minutes cardio as warm up before each workout

- 5-10 minutes strecthing muscles to be worked prior to weight session

-each body part do two basic exercises, 1 warm-up set followed by 2-3 working sets for 8-10 reps w/ good form,** IMPORTANT weight should be heavy enough for you to fail on the 8th-10th rep, if you can do more than 10 reps increase the weight.

- use weight belt to protect your back when doing squats and deadlifts...

-use a spotter when doing babrell bench presses

- rest 1 minute between sets and drink plenty of water before,during and after your workout

Sample workouts;

chest- barbell incline bench press
           dumbell flat bench presses

back - barbell rows
           deadlifts

shoulders barbell military press
                 dumb side laterals
                  bent dumb rear laterals

biceps barbell curls
           dumbell curls

Triceps dips
            pressdowns

abs crunches
       leg raises

quads barbell squats
           leg press

hams lying leg curls
          seated leg curls or stiff legged d-lifts

calves seated calve raises
            standing calve raises

traps- (work w/ back) barbell shrugs

forearms(work w/ biceps) barbell wrist curls
                                         barbell reverse wrist curls

cardio
do cardio your choice for 20-30 minutes after your workouts, do intervals, do not do entire session on one level

nutrition:

shoot for protein 1 gram per pound body weight and carbs 2 grams per pound of body weight, adjust according to your goals

6-8 meals per day

protein use lean meats such as chicken,turkey, fish and lean cuts of beef

carbs try brown rice, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, yams..etc

fats should be flax, olive oil or fish oils, taken with each meal (capsules)

**each meal should combine a serving or protein, a serving of carbs and healthy fats 6 times per day

drink 8-10 glass of water per day

****before and after each workout drink:
    1. 40 grams whey protein w/ 10 grams glutamine

2. creatine 5 grams w/ dextrose

- follow your diet even on your days off, maybe back off your carbs a little bit

Supps

multi
you can substitute1-2 meals with a MRP but whole food is better

have an MRP or protein drink between meals to add aditional protein if you need it

always make sure you are getting your protein and creatine before and after your workouts

other:

sleep: as much as you can spare, 8 hrs per day minimum, 10 is best

always strive to perfect your form in the gym while increasing your weights each workout

nutrition is more than half the battle

most of all have patience, rome was not built in a day

steriods- my opinion stay away from them

good luck

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2005, 10:08:11 AM »
awsome advice for the kid wiseyguy

runnerbabe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2005, 10:44:52 AM »
You got a lot of solid advice from Loomis, FlexGuns, and Wise Guy.

If you make weightlifting part of your life, keep it simple, but challenging and fun, rather than making it something you HAVE to do at this point,  and always stay with good form, then you will have success with it in time.

As for the negativity listed about your motives.. what I see is you have a great chance right now to prove the doubters wrong by sticking with a plan.  Take that challenge!

Good luck-- Keep us posted.

stockykid

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2005, 01:48:40 PM »
Well Thanks everyone for the help, except JediKnight. By the way STOCKY does not mean short and fat. It means short and built , i think you are thinking of HUSKY. I am not fat and short. I am 5'4 and I am 155 pounds. I didn't get a hernia lifting, i had one when i was little and the operation wasn't effective enough, so i got another one. I was good at wrestling and was lifting 3 days a week b4 my hernia, doing a different section of my body each day, it was for a wrestling pre season strength training. I have been lifting and am actually strong. I just want to get stronger and in better shape. And yeah i have heard of skull crushers i did them for day 3 of my work out plan when i lifted.

king

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2005, 02:59:01 PM »
" In fact bodybuilding is 100 times harder mentally and physically.".. i dunno if i agree with that... i wrestled for 7 years, its some tough shit man..but i guess it depends on who ur coach is and how hard you train...

stockykid

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2005, 08:44:31 PM »
yeah wrestling is physically and mentally tough its no joke. We have college level pratices. It very hard and u cant stop because there is a coach, with lifting you are you're own coach and you can crack easier.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2005, 01:07:32 AM »
First things first. Tell your Doc that you plan to start lifting weights. There are age concerns to think about (ie. growth plates). If you are already a big kid you may be fine.

after that... for a young guy I'd suggest covering all the bases and looking at strength first.

try to work a full body routine 2 to 3 times a week.

make sure you work deadlifts, benchpress, and squats into your routine.

NEVER let pride decide your workout weight!!! Be STRICT about your form, never sacrifice more weight for form!!

There is no evidence that lifting weights has any effect on the growth plates. I think that myth was debunked 50 years ago. ::)

It's amazing how clueless the people on this board are when it comes to training. I've never seen so much shitty advice being given out on one board.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2005, 08:54:24 PM »

It's amazing how clueless the people on this board are when it comes to training. I've never seen so much shitty advice being given out on one board.

Agreed, there is a lot of bad advice on this board, but it's the same on any board.  That said, there is still some very good advice being given out, you just have to wade through the bull-shit. So put on your waders and a good pair of big rubber boots and dive in ;D

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2006, 12:22:10 PM »
kid. just keep working at it, and you'll put on the size.  i used to be called "stocky" at one time too. i'm 5'6, and now i weigh 193lbs! (yup, i'm a little overight!)  your size sounds pretty decent. do you have a pic?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2008, 10:56:15 AM »
I won the Teen California under 18 for bodybuilding.

Still waiting on that pic that makes us all look like shit...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2008, 09:44:06 PM »
whatever your workouts man be consistent and eat good, i used to have to cut weight and ate like shit most of the time and im telling you its so much easier to make weight when you dont have to drop 10 or 15 lbs. Try weighted dips for tris man they are like squats for the upper body.

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2008, 11:51:47 PM »
Get plenty of resteat well and train hard,read the magazines as well for likes of Muscle and fitnes which I would suggest to read when starting out on you bodybuilding journey. When you turn novice starting read Flex which keeps you update on what the pros have been up to etc.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2008, 06:01:52 AM »
I see loads of kids who train at my gym after school, doing nothing but bench and preacher curls, with strip sets, and pretty much just there 1 rep maxes All taking creatine, and trying to impress the gals in there year at school.

None of them are growing much.

Stick with basics, learn how to squat bench,row,press properly, if u wanna do arm work (which u might not have to if ur squatting rowing benching heavy), then add dips and BB curls/chins.

Do that in hle body routine, or upper lower split....eat mod carbs and a butt load of protein aswell, and ul defo see at difference.

I tried various splits wen i started and they didnt work,i thot the more i do the better, i wish id done less work, but more intensly!!

If u want add sum interval cardio on days off the gym (gym it mon,wed,fri) e.g. tuesday and thursday, and have weekends off.

Once ur getting all that down and are moving sum weight,mayb add in olympic lifts e.g. cleans/clean and press/high pulls/db bb snatches etc.

Trust me, if u increase ur squat/bench/row/shoulder press by 20Kg's (or more) each, over the next year (and ur eating enough). Ur gonna b bigger, guarenteed.

After that u can decide wether u wanna get all fancy with isolation xcercises or not.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

maxxb

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2008, 06:23:38 AM »
The one piece of advice I would give is to keep a journal.  It is an awesome motivational tool.  Write down every work set that you do.  That way when the gains stop coming as quickly you can still realize that you are making progress when you get just one more rep out of one more set than the week before.  Also, it is  huge boost to look back 6 months and see how much stronger you have gotten.

Get one of those composition notebooks as they can take the beating of being tossed to the gym floor. 

BDMlift

• Getbig I
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2008, 11:12:26 PM »
Spend less time bashing people that are asking for help in a TRAINING Q&A and go lift if u know so much. its ridiculous how many garbage responses people get from from internet tough guys that think they know everything. With my experience i started with full body 2-3 days a week and it did wonders for my strength so i could begin a solid split routine without quick muscle fatigue. it was the best advice that i received from the 2 personal trainers that happen to be in my family. i also see it being applied to beginners in my local gym by personal trainers. Try it out for a couple weeks. everybody's body is different. first learn to listen to your body. it is one of the most important steps.
Personally i started with a full body 2-3 a week and traveled to a push/pull/legs until i was advanced enough to reside in a 1 group per day routine(cardio mornings). i went from 180lb 14%BF(6'2)---> to 230lb 8%BF (6"4)  over a 2 year period with this process.(diet accordingly of course).
 P.S. listen to everyone that told u to read as much as possible. take everything, however, with a grain of salt.

Gym dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2008, 11:59:33 PM »
16 year old kid when you decide to compte.My advice is to attend five shows which would give you an idea on what the venue is like were the show is being held plus I would suggest attending the pre jugeing which means the athlets get through the diffrent complasry poses.Plus the evening show as well which is very exciting plus lots of fun as well.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2008, 08:24:19 PM »
BenFun...u are a sick puppy,,is that your son or is that u,,,i would never send a personal message to anyone..

Jesus, kid, you've been trolling this site for TWO years :o ::)  Get a life and try lifting weights sometime.  It's pretty fun.