Author Topic: GNC  (Read 9689 times)

Crossbones

• Getbig II
GNC
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:44:36 PM »
Started reevaluating my suppliment list. I'm currently taking omega, multivits, vit D, and cal/mag/zinc (all in one) tabs. Recently read that calcium can interfere with zinc/mag absorption. That right? I'm in toronto and i usually buy the jamison brand since they have more tabs thrown in for the same price. Oh yeah and i use protein from gaspari. I try to focus on getting in good meals and use the supplements to plug up any holes.

Figured id add bcaa, glutamine and maybe zma if this calcium conflict thing is true. Maybe gnc gold card can get me some price breaks.

Any gnc users?  I was recommended protein from canadaprotein so i may order once my current tub of potein runs out.

Speak out getbig.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: GNC
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 01:50:29 AM »
Calcium interferes with the absorption of quite a few things. ZMA is unlikely "necessary," but a good, absorbable form of Zinc & magnesium is desirable. Avoid taking them with milk and/or other foods and supplements containing calcium.

Calcium can help with the absorption of some things, but not the ones above.

Princess, you've spoken on this, too - even briefly outlining the combination and timing of your supplement intake. (?)

Crossbones

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 04:49:09 AM »
Calcium interferes with the absorption of quite a few things. ZMA is unlikely "necessary," but a good, absorbable form of Zinc & magnesium is desirable. Avoid taking them with milk and/or other foods and supplements containing calcium.

Princess, you've spoken on this, too - even briefly outlining the combination and timing of your supplement intake. (?)

Thanks. Problem is i still have a whole bottle of cal/mag/zinc tabs left over. Interesting that they put that combo together if one cancels out the other two.

Re:gnc. What do you think? Are there cheaper pstuff online? Ordering from the US is expensive and takes forever to get frm customs.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:01:16 AM »

Calcium and mag are a good combo because they help each other in their absorption.  Vitamin D too.  Calcium is such a big mineral that it's difficult to absorb on it's own, plus there's different versions of it and everyone absorbs differently depending on their chemistry.  500mg at a time is the general rule of thumb, that's why it's supposed to be taken a few times a day.  It definitely hinders the absorption of other minerals like zinc.  Doesn't totally cancel it out, but makes it more difficult.  Lots of factors and depends on what's circulating throughout your system at any given time.  ZMA helps with a deeper sleep, so generally should be taken at night.  An hour or two after a a night snack should be enough time to relatively effective.

GNC is regarded as an over-priced supplement franchise here in the States, so if you can find a source that ships to your country at a lesser cost, go for it.   These are not expensive supplements in the world of supplements.  Look for  the GMP/cGMP/USP seal for added assurance.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/CGMP/ucm079496.htm

http://www.nowfoods.com/Quality/Quality-Notes/M101282.htm

:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 03:36:44 PM »

Calcium and mag are a good combo because they help each other in their absorption.  Vitamin D too.  Calcium is such a big mineral that it's difficult to absorb on it's own, plus there's different versions of it and everyone absorbs differently depending on their chemistry.  500mg at a time is the general rule of thumb, that's why it's supposed to be taken a few times a day.  It definitely hinders the absorption of other minerals like zinc.  Doesn't totally cancel it out, but makes it more difficult.  Lots of factors and depends on what's circulating throughout your system at any given time.  ZMA helps with a deeper sleep, so generally should be taken at night.  An hour or two after a a night snack should be enough time to relatively effective.

GNC is regarded as an over-priced supplement franchise here in the States, so if you can find a source that ships to your country at a lesser cost, go for it.   These are not expensive supplements in the world of supplements.  Look for  the GMP/cGMP/USP seal for added assurance.

NOW gets my stamp of approval!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »
gh15 (Dennis James) always had good advices on supplements

~

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »

GNC is overpriced, UNLESS you hit the clearance sales. Speaking of which, I have a box of Myoplex I'm going to pick up today. The clearance price is $30; but with the Gold Card, it's $24. And there's some leucine (120 caps @ 1500 mg each) for $12 and change.

But, that's in the United States. I'm not sure if Canada has the same deal.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 06:35:23 AM »
NOW Foods is indeed a highly respectable company. They kept me healthy through many a pro-hormone cycle.

I've bought several items at a local GNC over the past few weeks, mainly because there's one between my house and my gym. But yeah, clearance items aside, you almost have to take out a second mortgage to shop there.

trengrowth

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 07:25:08 AM »
Dont buy from GNC they are overpriced... All you really need is pineapple juice, cinnamon, and fish oils.. And of course a good multi. Aside from that, take some TUDCA or MILK THISTLE if on orals.

I used to work at GNC. THERE ARE BETTER PLACES TO GET SUPPSS... LIKE WALMART.

trengrowth

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 07:26:07 AM »
But dont buy a multi at walmart.... you can get that at GNC. ;)

Crossbones

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 10:14:15 AM »
Anyone know of any good places to buy in toronto? Popeyes is my usual stop during their sales. Buying online will be cheaper but the shipping cost may negate that.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 01:45:03 PM »
Anyone know of any good places to buy in toronto? Popeyes is my usual stop during their sales. Buying online will be cheaper but the shipping cost may negate that.

Don't know where in the city you are but I like this place:

http://www.qinaturalfood.com/contact.html

Tbh I don't buy protein powder and stuff like that but for general vitamin/supplements these guys always have the best prices in the city from what I've seen.

IronRush

• Getbig I
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 11:45:11 AM »
why would you waste all your money on supplement like bcaa,glutamine. imo you dont need any of these product to achieve magazines body level, what you need is save the money on the supp and buy real gear that gives the result you want. Multivitamin and fish oil is good and whey protein? no real food is what u need.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
why would you waste all your money on supplement like bcaa,glutamine. imo you dont need any of these product to achieve magazines body level, what you need is save the money on the supp and buy real gear that gives the result you want. Multivitamin and fish oil is good and whey protein? no real food is what u need.

;D

Lean_Lovr

• Getbig I
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »
Hey! Maybe you are lucky to have such a perfect metabolism that you do not need any of those supplements (I am not joking and not being sarcastic, best athletes have very rare genotypes). Most of us DO need supplements. I know it based on my own experience. I could not put on any muscle before I started taking BCAA. There is a lot of science behind BCAA that you cannot ignore.   

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 06:58:17 PM »
You do know GNC price matches, right? I use MusclePharm Arnold Iron Whey (5LB) which retails for around $93, but if you bring in a printed out sheet from Sbmuscle.com, bodybuilding.com, supplementwarehouse.com,...etc and pay $44 per jug. I Use Optimum and get a 10LB bag for $78, but if i were to buy it at GNC, i think it runs $125. SCREW THAT! If GNC just tried to sell a 5lb jug of Optimum Whey for $90, they would be out of business!

And they hate matching prices.  8) And the sad thing is people still pay $90+ for a 5LB jug of whey..... :-\ :-\
D

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »
Most overpriced place on the planet. Kills me when friends tell me I just bought product X on sale for $55 when I generally buy it online for half that. Soo many good online companieswww.supptalk.co m  is a good one, lots of freebies and low s/h

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 07:14:24 PM »
www.lef.org supplements don't get much better
T

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 11:47:19 AM »
Most overpriced place on the planet. Kills me when friends tell me I just bought product X on sale for $55 when I generally buy it online for half that. Soo many good online companieswww.supptalk.co m  is a good one, lots of freebies and low s/h

Clearance sales my friend, particularly on GNC-brand products that get marked down to 75% off, such as the 5-lb jug of 100% Whey Protein for $16.

And $6 for GNC's Hybrid Creatine Complex.

Both are clearance sales prices, coupled with Gold Card discount.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 09:42:27 AM »

Just curious, but what are the best sites that people use?

D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »
http://www.supplementwarehouse.com/

They do the 5% price match thing and seem to have everything you could possibly want. 

Impressive, the guy who owns the place got started in a tiny little hole-in-the-wall store front probably ~12~15 years ago and has been going gangbusters ever since.
:

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 12:12:16 PM »

They do the 5% price match thing and seem to have everything you could possibly want. 

Impressive, the guy who owns the place got started in a tiny little hole-in-the-wall store front probably ~12~15 years ago and has been going gangbusters ever since.

Thanks!

Ordered 15lbs of Whey for $135.  8)

And got some free stuff with my order.  8)
D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 04:18:08 PM »

Good for him!! That's rather impressive.

How did he manage that?

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 08:20:43 PM »

Good for him!! That's rather impressive.

How did he manage that?

X2

Speak upon this Princess L
D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 05:05:10 AM »
X2

Speak upon this Princess L

You seldom hear of "mom & pop" shops thriving in spite of the internet and huge franchise booms.