Author Topic: since my delts are really under developed, what am i doing wrong?  (Read 109265 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: since my delts are really under developed, what am i doing wrong?
« Reply #350 on: August 30, 2013, 08:36:24 PM »
Yeah I agree with you there. I was just making the point that it's not THAT weird that Mawse trains delts in this fashion. A lot of guys have been calling bullshit on his methods.

No I don't hold a peak contraction for that long on most exercises. Mostly just for delts. My goal with them is to force myself to use the lightest weight possible to reach failure at my target rep range. Opposite my training philosophy for the big 3 lifts.
It's just strange to see someone press 160's, (which involves massive shoulder strength) then turn and claim 20's for laterals. Thats why I asked about technique.
Sometimes I do the seated side into front raise overhead back into side lat movement, then I'll use 20's max.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #351 on: August 30, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »
It's just strange to see someone press 160's, (which involves massive shoulder strength) then turn and claim 20's for laterals. Thats why I asked about technique.
Sometimes I do the seated side into front raise overhead back into side lat movement, then I'll use 20's max.

I hear what you're saying. Going "light" on shoulder day is unorthodox for what you see most guys in the gym doing. My belief is that we'd see a whole lot less labrum tears and rotator cuff ailments if guys backed off on the heavy stuff for delts.

I realize we're using subjective terminology in these posts though (heavy, light, etc). I focus in rep ranges where I want to failure...with delts I want to fail anything over 20 reps. So for me, 20lb dumbells do the trick.

What rep ranges do you use for shoulders?

sexpert

« Reply #352 on: August 31, 2013, 05:16:07 AM »
That's a typo, it's 120lbs lateral raises, almost matching those 160 lbs DB inclines. Throwing in 10X10's (GVT) in the same workout, even more impressive. 

People still use 'that's how we roll"?  Guess so.
??? ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #353 on: August 31, 2013, 08:03:06 AM »
I hear what you're saying. Going "light" on shoulder day is unorthodox for what you see most guys in the gym doing. My belief is that we'd see a whole lot less labrum tears and rotator cuff ailments if guys backed off on the heavy stuff for delts.

I realize we're using subjective terminology in these posts though (heavy, light, etc). I focus in rep ranges where I want to failure...with delts I want to fail anything over 20 reps. So for me, 20lb dumbells do the trick.

What rep ranges do you use for shoulders?
Ahh...20 reps, now we see. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #354 on: August 31, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »
Ahh...20 reps, now we see. ;)

How many reps do you like for delts?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #355 on: August 31, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »
Laterals in the 12 - 15 rep range with manageable resistance. Overhead presses 12 - 8 or 6 using max resistance. My delts aren't powerful or strong, although I have never injured them. I do the overhead presses first then move on to side and read laterals, finishing off with shrugs and upright rowing for the traps.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #356 on: August 31, 2013, 04:37:17 PM »
How many reps do you like for delts?
I do 10 reps max on most everything, typically I stay in the 4-6 range on most stuff.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #357 on: August 31, 2013, 04:44:32 PM »
I do 10 reps max on most everything, typically I stay in the 4-6 range on most stuff.
then you are what i thought strong but not very fast and conditioned.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #358 on: August 31, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »

How healthy are your shoulders after years of training?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #359 on: August 31, 2013, 04:51:06 PM »
mate we Train intelligent. he Trains like a cave man  ???

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #360 on: August 31, 2013, 05:01:30 PM »
mate we Train intelligent. he Trains like a cave man  ???

Lol  :D

some guys have gorilla tendons and can throw shit around like that for years...I'm certainly not one of these, i had to learn how to train smarter. But hell, If you're immune to injury, who am I to tell someone to quit their preferred method of training.

I can honestly say though, that there's not a single guy in my gym over age 40 who doesn't have some form of shoulder injury. I've referred 3 personally to orthopedic surgeons who have gone on to have operations.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #361 on: August 31, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »

some guys have gorilla tendons and can throw shit around like that for years...I'm certainly not one of these, i had to learn how to train smarter. But hell, If you're immune to injury, who am I to tell someone to quit their preferred method of training.

I can honestly say though, that there's not a single guy in my gym over age 40 who doesn't have some form of shoulder injury. I've referred 3 personally to orthopedic surgeons who have gone on to have operations.
yes i agree 100% shoulders Need to be trained in a Special way. I find supersets or tri sets great for me..or as Steve mentioned drop sets. Itīs the icing on the cake really.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #362 on: August 31, 2013, 06:39:31 PM »
Just fine, I'm built like a man. :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #363 on: August 31, 2013, 06:48:05 PM »
Are you saying Calvin is doing to many reps per set?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #364 on: August 31, 2013, 11:27:15 PM »

Oddly enough, mine are bigger and stronger then they have ever been. Despite having arthritis elsewhere, my shoulders are pain free. Guess I did something right....although it was probably by accident.  ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: August 31, 2013, 11:29:56 PM »

I feel so lucky. Most of the guys I talk to at the gym who are over 40 much less my age, have experienced shoulder injuries. I guess my being a bit of a wimp when it comes to hoisting a lot of poundage isn't such a bad thing after all.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: August 31, 2013, 11:33:11 PM »
yes i agree 100% shoulders Need to be trained in a Special way. I find supersets or tri sets great for me..or as Steve mentioned drop sets. Itīs the icing on the cake really.

On shoulder day, I train delts, traps and abs. It works well for me. Also, I train delts the day prior to training pecs. It doesn't make for hoisting the most weight on the flat or incline bench, but it does isolate the pecs pretty well.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #367 on: August 31, 2013, 11:33:51 PM »

Good to know.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #368 on: August 31, 2013, 11:38:09 PM »
Oddly enough, mine are bigger and stronger then they have ever been. Despite having arthritis elsewhere, my shoulders are pain free. Guess I did something right....although it was probably by accident.  ;D
but you have zero delts

did you have minus zero delts before?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #369 on: August 31, 2013, 11:50:23 PM »
but you have zero delts

did you have minus zero delts before?

They were never "all that" which makes seeing them grow this late in the game all the more curious and gratifying. I have delts, btw. They don't look like much in the photos I've posted, I agree. Maybe, I should work on adjusting the focus like Cswol.

Keep in mind, I have twink genetics. Much as  I wish this wasn't the case, it is what it is.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #370 on: September 01, 2013, 12:18:02 AM »
Laterals in the 12 - 15 rep range with manageable resistance. Overhead presses 12 - 8 or 6 using max resistance. My delts aren't powerful or strong, although I have never injured them. I do the overhead presses first then move on to side and read laterals, finishing off with shrugs and upright rowing for the traps.

that's nice and all, but have you actually made any progress in the past year or so?

it's a very common phenomenon to see fellas in the gym who look EXACTLY THE SAME day after day and month after month and year after year

BRUTAL!!! and why the fuck bother to train if you just look EXACTLY THE SAME ::)

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #371 on: September 01, 2013, 12:44:21 AM »
that's nice and all, but have you actually made any progress in the past year or so?

it's a very common phenomenon to see fellas in the gym who look EXACTLY THE SAME day after day and month after month and year after year

BRUTAL!!! and why the fuck bother to train if you just look EXACTLY THE SAME ::)

Prime is 86 years old...how much progress do you expect from the guy?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #372 on: September 01, 2013, 12:54:28 AM »
Prime is 86 years old...how much progress do you expect from the guy?

age smage

just a bullshit excuse for pussies who don't got heart ;)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #373 on: September 01, 2013, 02:14:14 AM »
oh man.... ::)

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #374 on: September 01, 2013, 02:15:55 AM »
oh man.... ::)

A real mountain of beautiful muscle this guy must be eh?  :D