Author Topic: since my delts are really under developed, what am i doing wrong?  (Read 109288 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: since my delts are really under developed, what am i doing wrong?
« Reply #375 on: September 01, 2013, 02:18:40 AM »
A real mountain of beautiful muscle this guy must be eh?  :D
yeah...sculpted ripped muscles. A Herculean hero... :-\ with his Body and jpm101īs Fantasy mind then you got it all Chiro.... ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #376 on: September 01, 2013, 06:05:34 AM »
A real mountain of beautiful muscle this guy must be eh?  :D
If you find other mens muscular bodys beautiful, you might be a homo. :D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #377 on: September 01, 2013, 07:38:32 AM »
I remember a old saying. "There isn't anything around here boy but Steers and Queers and I don't see any horns on you".  8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #378 on: September 01, 2013, 08:44:34 AM »
It's all just fun boys... ;)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #379 on: September 01, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
Prime is 86 years old...how much progress do you expect from the guy?

Not that old yet, but thanks for cutting me some slack. -Truth is any progress or even maintenance is a good thing at 69 years old and still be when I am 86 years old.  ;D

One thing is certain, you all will someday get old, unless you die young. It is not like something anyone wishes for, it just is what it is. In my opinion, it is better to be old and still training then to be old an not or not able to.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #380 on: September 01, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
that's nice and all, but have you actually made any progress in the past year or so?

it's a very common phenomenon to see fellas in the gym who look EXACTLY THE SAME day after day and month after month and year after year

BRUTAL!!! and why the fuck bother to train if you just look EXACTLY THE SAME ::)

I am not making the kind of gains I might have when I was in my teens and twenties, that is for sure. I bother to train because it makes me feel good, I see improvements even when no one else does and it keeps me healthier than I would be if I didn't train. My goals are probably different then yours and that's fine.

The past year has been a struggle health wise, having had a major surgery and now a torn meniscus. I have made some improvements never-the-less. Since changing up my deltoid routine to include higher reps and lighter weights on back, side and front laterals, my delts seem rounder and more pronounced....maybe it is just wishful thinking, but it is what I see when I look in the mirror.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #381 on: September 01, 2013, 12:12:14 PM »
Primemuscle is crushing people around here.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #382 on: September 01, 2013, 09:48:35 PM »
Primemuscle is crushing people around here.

how many sets do you do for your delts man?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #383 on: September 01, 2013, 10:22:20 PM »
how many sets do you do for your delts man?
Do mean failure sets or the warmups as well?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #384 on: September 01, 2013, 10:38:28 PM »
Do mean failure sets or the warmups as well?

both failure sets and exercises

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #385 on: September 01, 2013, 10:50:34 PM »
both failure sets and exercises
Warmups I dont count people sit and say I did 5 sets whatever but only one are two failure I don't count that as 5 sets so I only warmup on the first exercise the rest just I go straight to the heavy sets. never had a shoulder injury a bunch of warmups is a waist of time in my eyes.

So 2 warmup sets on side laterals then

Side lateral 2 failure sets 6-8
Military Press 1 set to failure 6-8
Bent lateral 1 set to failure 6-8

Reason being if you want to be wider you got to hit side delts more. Front delts get hit alot in chest exercises so hence just 1 set on Military. Rear delt gets hit in back exercises. Overtraining these areas could lead to injury especially front deltoid.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #386 on: September 01, 2013, 11:00:09 PM »
i've been doing wide grip upright rows lately, and i think they may be even better for side delts than laterals

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #387 on: September 01, 2013, 11:51:01 PM »
i've been doing wide grip upright rows lately, and i think they may be even better for side delts than laterals

IMO, the best mass maker for delts.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #388 on: September 02, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »
Whichever name you call them, wide grip upright rows or Hi-pulls, are still a great shoulder mass builder, including hitting posterior delts well. The elbows follow the general same path as doing lateral raises,but allows handling more weight (resistance). Can do them Gironda style, which is in a true BB'ing style. Or heavier, like power trainee's (key movement for football players, etc) or Olympic lifters.

One arm DB HI-pulls are an excellent mass builder also. Just focus on keeping the elbows out wide and inline with the body. Lateral delt heads are assured of getting a equal work load, hopefully resulting in balanced size and strength for the right and left sides.  Suggest bracing the free arm against something solid. Some guys do these with cables.

When doing regular lateral raises, might suggest using the one and one half method. Which can allow more TUT (time under tension). If not familiar with this;  do a DB lateral raise to a bit above shoulder height, than lower to the half way position (hold for a second or two) and bring the DB ups again to shoulder lever. From there, lower the DB back down to the original starting position. That's considered one rep in this system. Not just for delts, this also works very well when doing arm work or just about any thing else.

Running The Rack is a exceptional way to get that super pump and hitting some delt fiber not usually hit. Usually done with DB presses. Some with lateral raises. Never stopping at any time.

A advance system is to start with lateral raises (some what strict style) with a pair of 5 pounder's (best if your gym has 5lb weight increases), do 2 reps (reps can very, some do only one rep, some 3...but never above 3 reps) and without rest grab the next pair of DB on the rack, doing two more reps, etc. all the way up along the rack. Zero pause between DB's.  Probably work up to a pair of 25's, until the arms can't be raised any more even a little bit.. Without stopping , grab the next pair of heavier DB's on the rack(say 30's) and begin doing DB overhead presses. Do the 2 reps (1 or 3 reps, depending on your choice) and just keep going to the next heavier pair. Should make it to a  pair of 45's or 50's before the delts become fried. That should be the only delt workout for that day.

Some will run the rack, all the way up to the heaviest weight they can handle and than run back down the rack to heir original starting pair of DB's. But this is for when only using laterial raises or DB presses. Not he advance method suggested above. Running the rack also works extremely well for bicep and even tricep work. Good Luck.
F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #389 on: September 02, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »
Some interesting suggestions JPM, good post!

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #390 on: September 02, 2013, 04:36:49 PM »
Whichever name you call them, wide grip upright rows or Hi-pulls, are still a great shoulder mass builder, including hitting posterior delts well. The elbows follow the general same path as doing lateral raises,but allows handling more weight (resistance). Can do them Gironda style, which is in a true BB'ing style. Or heavier, like power trainee's (key movement for football players, etc) or Olympic lifters.

One arm DB HI-pulls are an excellent mass builder also. Just focus on keeping the elbows out wide and inline with the body. Lateral delt heads are assured of getting a equal work load, hopefully resulting in balanced size and strength for the right and left sides.  Suggest bracing the free arm against something solid. Some guys do these with cables.

When doing regular lateral raises, might suggest using the one and one half method. Which can allow more TUT (time under tension). If not familiar with this;  do a DB lateral raise to a bit above shoulder height, than lower to the half way position (hold for a second or two) and bring the DB ups again to shoulder lever. From there, lower the DB back down to the original starting position. That's considered one rep in this system. Not just for delts, this also works very well when doing arm work or just about any thing else.

Running The Rack is a exceptional way to get that super pump and hitting some delt fiber not usually hit. Usually done with DB presses. Some with lateral raises. Never stopping at any time.

A advance system is to start with lateral raises (some what strict style) with a pair of 5 pounder's (best if your gym has 5lb weight increases), do 2 reps (reps can very, some do only one rep, some 3...but never above 3 reps) and without rest grab the next pair of DB on the rack, doing two more reps, etc. all the way up along the rack. Zero pause between DB's.  Probably work up to a pair of 25's, until the arms can't be raised any more even a little bit.. Without stopping , grab the next pair of heavier DB's on the rack(say 30's) and begin doing DB overhead presses. Do the 2 reps (1 or 3 reps, depending on your choice) and just keep going to the next heavier pair. Should make it to a  pair of 45's or 50's before the delts become fried. That should be the only delt workout for that day.

Some will run the rack, all the way up to the heaviest weight they can handle and than run back down the rack to heir original starting pair of DB's. But this is for when only using laterial raises or DB presses. Not he advance method suggested above. Running the rack also works extremely well for bicep and even tricep work. Good Luck.
I'm going to try this.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #391 on: September 02, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »
I'm going to try this.

Good luck Chaos. Remember to keep your abs tight.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #392 on: September 03, 2013, 12:30:47 AM »
I'm going to try this.

thought that you weren't a bodoybuilder ???

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #393 on: September 03, 2013, 12:45:21 AM »
when are these two Sweethearts going to get married? ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #394 on: September 03, 2013, 07:12:28 AM »
I'm not. I'm also not so narrow minded and naive that I can't see value in different training techniques.
Hi "Donny" :)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #395 on: September 05, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »
Running the rack is great for delts. Delts respond to volume and density training.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #396 on: September 05, 2013, 11:25:47 PM »
Running the rack is great for delts. Delts respond to volume and density training.

I agree with volume training. What is density training?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #397 on: September 06, 2013, 12:55:49 AM »
weider wrote about this Training from a book i have from the 80s
http://www.howtobefit.com/high-density-weight-training.htm

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #398 on: September 06, 2013, 02:20:22 AM »
I agree with volume training. What is density training?

Basically doing a lot of work in a short period of time. Running the rack is a good example of a technique that increases training density. You can do a complete delt workout in 10-15 min. It's obviously not the only way to train but it can be very useful. Especially if you have been doing heavier and slower paced training for x amount of weeks.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #399 on: September 06, 2013, 02:37:11 AM »
Can someone please explain why this thread has reached 16 pages?  I stopped at 8...  :o