Author Topic: Fast Food Workers - We want $15 and hour!  (Read 17513 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
I liked you way more before you disappeared and lost your marbles a while back.

Is that the best you can do? Insult me because you lack the intellect for a logical retort? What I said is true and can't be questioned. What this is attack is, is people that already make $15 or around that feel offended because now you have positions thought of as unskilled or bottom of the barrel making as much or near as much as you and you'll be damned if you worked your ass off for those 5 years in community college to earn you're degree to make $15.75 per hour your better than those people.

So what this amounts to is people in that bracket hating on them because the poor and or dumb organized and have made national news several times this year concerning this matter and are a real threat to get something done. So perhaps insteading of being jealous pricks, you should support them and organize yourselves and demand an increase in pay and benefits if your field deems it. But of course that'll never happen because as long as you get paid 99% of the people on this board and in the workforce won't rock the boat and money keeps them quiet. It says alot about that 1% that do speak up. I have a long history in HR and I've seen and heard alot. People are about preserving themselves and their family and they'll stay in line. Very rarely will you have a person willing to put everything on the line based on principles. Many are killed. Most people would like to think they'd speak up but they don't and never will. Thus the term sheeple. You're a sheep too and this is how they see you. People are very easily manipulated. That's why some of my "crazy" ideas sound "crazy" because all you know is propaganda. You're like a first world North Korea and it's gonna get worse. You've been waking up though P.I.P. but you have much to learn. Always be learning. I love learning. I always have.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V

If I recall, you were quite the libertarian.  Now suddenly you want the government to step into a private agreement between two consenting parties, and dictate the terms?  

I don't owe you anything, if you need a job and I'm willing to offer you a wage that satisfies you, that's our business.

Do you agree that we can't just punish McDonald's with this $15.00 minimum wage?  Wouldn't this be the deathblow to all the struggling small businesses (if Obamacare doesn't take them out that is)? 

No more jobs for the young, and unskilled...  :-\

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
I didn't mean that captain Wiggins  :).

Seriously though, you've done a 180, you use to be a completely different guy...

I've decided I'm no longer holding my tongue when the truth is obvious. I don't care how controversial it is or how comfortable it make you, you're going to hear it. People being willfully ignorant or just not caring because they don't believe it concerns them is what makes small problems big. People can make jokes (to ease tension or internal stress) or insult till the cows come home but as you and many others are seeing and will continue to see that tinfoil hat guys like myself and many other were indeed right.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
I've decided I'm no longer holding my tongue when the truth is obvious. I don't care how controversial it is or how comfortable it make you, you're going to hear it. People being willfully ignorant or just not caring because they don't believe it concerns them is what makes small problems big. People can make jokes (to ease tension or internal stress) or insult till the cows come home but as you and many others are seeing and will continue to see that tinfoil hat guys like myself and many other were indeed right.

You and I agree way more than we disagree, I'm one of the tinfoil hat guys myself.  Still, you don't have a libertarian bone in your body anymore.  I find it funny that you once supported Ron Paul. 

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
If I recall, you were quite the libertarian.  Now suddenly you want the government to step into a private agreement between two parties, and dictate how much people have to pay others?

Do you agree that we can't just punish McDonald's with this $15.00 minimum wage?  This would be the death blow to all the struggling small businesses (if Obamacare doesn't take them out that is).  

No more jobs for the young, and unskilled...  :-\

I am a libertarian, and the government has been stepping into private agreements between two parties for centuries. This is nothing new except an industry that's not known for having a voice has organized to try to have one. They are to be commended. They figured it out, bodybuilders haven't. Bodybuilding related.

To me this is not just about McDonalds or the fast food industry, its about minimum wage workers period. And no it would not put unskilled workers out of work. It makes those jobs Americans wouldn't do before that would go to illegals much more valuable to Americans.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
You and I agree way more than we disagree, I'm one of the tinfoil hat guys myself.  Still, you don't have a libertarian bone in your body anymore.  I find it funny that you once supported Ron Paul. 

This is ideally. We're playing in a rigged game from voting, to taxes, to laws etc. The truth is, they'd never allow him to be in office unless he radically changed his views.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
I am a libertarian, and the government has been stepping into private agreements between two parties for centuries. This is nothing new except an industry that's not known for having a voice has organized to try to have one. They are to be commended. They figured it out, bodybuilders haven't. Bodybuilding related.

Yeah, I see what you're saying but it's idiotic.  It doesn't matter if they all go on strike and stick to it.  They're too easily replaceable, it's a joke.  

These aren't steel or auto workers.  They're young people, or unskilled people working six hour shifts serving Orange drink.  When McDonald's decides to replace them all with robots what are you going to do?

If it doesn't add up, it just doesn't add up.  There's never going to be a shortage of people willing to work at McDonald's for minimum wage, and the value of their food will stay the same unless they change their business model in some significant way.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
This is ideally. We're playing in a rigged game from voting, to taxes, to laws etc. The truth is, they'd never allow him to be in office unless he radically changed his views.

Yep, but do you think Rand has a chance?  I think he generally has the same beliefs as his dad but he has the ability to keep his mouth shut about issues that creep people out (unlike you and Ron lol), and for some reason he's better at appealing to a broader range of Republicans.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
Re: Fast Food Workers - We want $15 and hour!
« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Isn't Detroit a perfect example of what happens when you artificially inflate wages?  ???

You create a bubble that has to be deflated or pop.

It's great for a while though, and the politicians look like saints.

RRKore

• Getbig IV

Well there's intent and there's actuality. And in it's actuality, if these fast food or minimum wage jobs period have helped keep the 3.6 million people paid minimum wage and below employed and able to help provide necessities and luxuries for their families. Minimum wage is just that. The minimum amount of money they are allowed to pay you by law. Laborers., and the people get shit on by everyone and get paid shit money. But I remember working my minimum wage days and your average person can attest that you probably physically "worked" the hardest in those shit jobs. The federal min. wage in 1968 was $1.60. Adjusted for inflation is $10.47 per hour. So for anyone to argue that it shouldn't be at least that is a piece of shit or an idiot. It's going to vary state to state because of cost of living. e.g. It's more expensive to live in the city in New York and Los Angeles vs. Tupelo, Mississippi and San Antonio, Texas. So naturally min. wage is going to be higher in New York and L.A. and . So with the min. wage at 10.47 (adjusted for inflation) $15.00 dollars isn't out of the question at all depending on where you live. And as inflation increases minimum wage increases. If it were to decrease (not likely) the minimum wage would decrease.  

Like it or not, this is our new normal (till it gets worse). The people are usually fooled into thinking the stock market is an indicator as to how the economy is doing. It's not. unemployment is still high and these jobs popping up are part time jobs for the most part and people that quit looking for work are not counted in the numbers.  So these minimum wage jobs have much more value to them now. Lets say the wage is set at $15.00 an hour in this economy. You'll have a totally different applicant than you had before. smarter (on average) and more experienced. So the employer if he or she is hiring the correct way will certainly be getting their money's worth.  Businesses can easily absorb a higher minimum wage—with a small price increase or a small reduction in already very high profits. The argument that a higher minimum wage will be a job killer simply doesn’t pass the sniff test of basic economic arithmetic, and is contradicted by reams of serious economic research.

What it ends up being is plain and simple. The greedy rich in the big industries that have corporations that employ a mass of min. wage workers don't want to give up ANYTHING. Even if it doesn't really affect them. It's the principle to them. Make most money at all cost, including breaking the rules.  And do they have you all fighting their battle for them and you get jack shit for it.

Incredibly well said.  Tell it, Wiggs!

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
::)

Have fun paying 7 dollars for a Big Mac fat ass.  The higher the low skilled wages get, the more expensive everything else would be.  Of course, you are incapable of any abstract thought predicative of any future outcome so I might as well explain this to a sewer pipe.

LMAO.. Epic...

WillRiker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2013, 02:52:22 AM »
It's quite sad that the minimum wage is too low in the US.

It's quite sad that the most of the wealth in the US is hold by only a fraction of the population.

It's quite sad that corporations that a bigger slice of the GDP compared to thirty years ago.

It's even more sad that people who are not extremely wealthy defend the tactics of the extremely wealthy.

james87

• Getbig II

To me this is not just about McDonalds or the fast food industry, its about minimum wage workers period. And no it would not put unskilled workers out of work. It makes those jobs Americans wouldn't do before that would go to illegals much more valuable to Americans.

Completely disagree

You need to check your facts. Every time there has been a significant increase to the minimum wage there has been a correlating rise in unemployment. This is FACT, please do some research. Also worth noting is that every time minimum wages have been increased in the US resulting in a rise in unemployment there is a disproportionate rise in unemployment in blacks compared to any other group. Also FACT. So the negative effects are concentrated on the groups that these stupid increases are intending to help the most in the first place.

Minimum wage laws are well intentioned no doubt, but don't deliver.

Also, You claim that these mega corporations can afford it, and of course just looking at their profits year after year clearly it seems they could absorb these extra costs with no ill effect, but you're not looking at the big picture. Implementing too higher minimum wages on corporations make them far less competitive, especially corporations where the majority of their workforce are low skilled. These companies make mega profits no doubt, but there are so many other things you are not considering.

These are publicly traded companies, who not only have to compete for the consumers business but also compete in capital markets to attract investors. A company, especially a large one will always require ongoing funding, and there is only so much debt it can take on. Therefore it requires capital investment i.e. me and you buying shares. If you increase minimum wage, it WILL have an effect on the bottom line of a company that has predominately low skilled workers i.e. McDonald's. Why, if i can see profits reducing, a lower return on investment etc would I go and invest my money in that company. Why would investment funds and superannuation funds invest their members money in those companies? they wouldn't. They have now just become less competitive and in turn are losing capital investment. They have less money to expand and grow and in turn they wont be able to deliver a product of the same quality at the same price.

All this being said, you haven't even considered how much harder it would be on small business, let along large corporations to absorb increases in minimum wages.

missile

« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2013, 04:30:52 AM »
Can you live on minimum wage in America?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2013, 04:35:55 AM »
Can you live on minimum wage in America?

no the life expectancy is 6 weeks

thousands are dying in the states due to not being able to super size their fried chicken meals
T

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2013, 07:37:39 AM »
Isn't Detroit a perfect example of what happens when you artificially inflate wages?  ???

You create a bubble that has to be deflated or pop.

It's great for a while though, and the politicians look like saints.

No. What is happening in Detroit has nothing to do with wages and everything to do with Urban Decay at its worst and what happens when governemnt, media, courts etc eliminate any responsibility whatsoever from its supposed citizens. What happened in Detroit is when the majority of your population doesen't work, doesn't own property, doesn't pay taxes but lives off of tax funded programs and various forms of welfare. What happened there is a result of an uneducated population that, overtime, led to everysingle position and level of local government being corrupt, inept or lazy beyond any other standard ever known or seen in a civilized country.

I can go into detail but "wages" are the least of Detroits problems. You first have to have viable businesses and people willing to work for a living in order to have concerns about wages.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Good post, I see your point. You are correct in that fast food can feed a family for cheap.

My contention isn't that they be paid 15 bucks an hour. My contention is that they work their asses off for little pay and probably deserve more than they make. I understand its unskilled labor and their pay is comeasurate. But I don't think its fair to classify everyone who works in fastfood as pookie and rayray either.  Pookie and rayray don't work. People who work for a living aren't the problem.

I have no idea what the profit margin is. I know that you can get a double cheeseburger for a buck and thats a bargain if you're talking calories per cent.

And thats the point. Even though the public can get that burger for a buck, with processing, taxes, insurance and overhead it might cost them .75 to make, that leaves .25 for profit, you raise the wage , that profit will drop to less than .25. If they don't raise the cost of the product, they have to close their doors then no one works. Also, there is room for growth in the company if one decides to stay. they can go from the food line ($7.25) entry level, to management, then upper management, corporate, etc.

Note; the above doesn't even include the raising of taxes comng down the pike.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Why didn`t they just quit and find a different job?

Underpaid?  How are you judging this? 

If, with their current skill sets and experience, they are worth more, then they should work somewhere willing to pay what they're worth. If the most they are capable of making is a McDonald's wage, then that is what they're worth.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

If, with their current skill sets and experience, they are worth more, then they should work somewhere willing to pay what they're worth. If the most they are capable of making is a McDonald's wage, then that is what they're worth.

Read my above post. The industry doesn't warrant that kind of pay increase. You guys that are backing these workers need to start thinking with your brains instead of your emotions.

whitewidow

« Reply #195 on: August 30, 2013, 08:40:47 AM »
15 an hour is way too much for them to get paid dont u think? 10 an hour is fair

Yes unless you a general or district manager. apply85 works at good burger or mayber it was fat burger and he gets paid minimum and he blows he pay theck on his addiction to cough syrup and random pills lkike nyquil pills and antihistamines

theredeemer

• Getbig III

Also, You claim that these mega corporations can afford it, and of course just looking at their profits year after year clearly it seems they could absorb these extra costs with no ill effect, but you're not looking at the big picture. Implementing too higher minimum wages on corporations make them far less competitive, especially corporations where the majority of their workforce are low skilled. These companies make mega profits no doubt, but there are so many other things you are not considering.

LOL gimme a break. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2013, 09:05:29 AM »
4.6%... probably lower today.

BTW,  McDonalds stores are FRANCHISES, which means each McDonalds is privately owned. Think minions....think!!

keanu

• Getbig IV
1. Paying Jamal 15 dollars an hour will just raise the bar for hiring requirements for a supposed "low skilled" job.  

Exactly. You start paying 15 or 16 bucks you will get half intelligent young white people doing these jobs, as well as white lifers.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #199 on: August 30, 2013, 09:46:43 AM »
It's quite sad that the minimum wage is too low in the US.

It's quite sad that the most of the wealth in the US is hold by only a fraction of the population.

It's quite sad that corporations that a bigger slice of the GDP compared to thirty years ago.

It's even more sad that people who are not extremely wealthy defend the tactics of the extremely wealthy.

It's even more sad that flex wheeler didn't win at least one Mr O