Author Topic: Waitress who accused customer of writing racial slur on tip line, being sued  (Read 12961 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
You are hight.  We're supposed to believe that an idiot who would write that on a credit slip with his name on it would be smart enough to know that it's not in his best interest to go public and fight the charge (because of the Streisand Effect, I presume)?  Haha.  Try again.  

Look, I have no idea who wrote "guy" on that receipt.  If I worked with that girl and saw the check before her, I would have written it just to fuck with her if I either really liked her or really hated her, haha.  (And I absolutely would not have revealed that I was the one that did it once it became a big deal.)  So who knows?  And while racism hoaxes might very well be common, I'm willing to bet any amount of money that written racist comments are waaaaay more common.  Haven't you ever read through a youtube comment thread or, and this should be completely evident to all here, your average Getbig thread?

Sure, but not when it is attached to your credit card information.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
You are hight.  We're supposed to believe that an idiot who would write that on a credit slip with his name on it would be smart enough to know that it's not in his best interest to go public and fight the charge (because of the Streisand Effect, I presume)?  Haha.  Try again.  

Look, I have no idea who wrote "guy" on that receipt.  If I worked with that girl and saw the check before her, I would have written it just to fuck with her if I either really liked her or really hated her, haha.  (And I absolutely would not have revealed that I was the one that did it once it became a big deal.)  So who knows?  And while racism hoaxes might very well be common, I'm willing to bet any amount of money that written racist comments are waaaaay more common.  Haven't you ever read through a youtube comment thread or, and this should be completely evident to all here, your average Getbig thread?

just curious, are you black? Ive wondered from a couple threads niw

RRKore

• Getbig IV
The guy got it to go. Since when do you tip for take-out?

I tip for take-out. (A couple of bucks only, usually.)  Especially when the person giving you your food is the person who had to box it up.  (Did you never work in a restaurant?)  

Honestly, tipping is seems like a great thing for me.  When I over-tip anywhere (pizza delivery guy, haircut lady, any place I eat or pick up food), I'm pretty much guaranteed better service than the rest of the customers on subsequent visits.  I enjoy knowing that my server will leave the average getbigger's food in the window while they rush off to find me a side plate or whatever.  I usually tip about 25% if the service is pretty good or if there's a good reason (that I sympathize with) for the less than good service*.  Because of the places I eat at, the extra tip usually amounts to only an extra 3 or 4 bucks.  And it will often totally make the server happy.  (Beyond what it should, really, because fuck it, it's only 3 or 4 extra bucks.)

* About over-tipping when service is less than good:  This happens more than it should.  If, for example, I get lousy service because a server has way more tables than usual (because of staff shortage) I'll still over-tip out of sympathy since I know many of clueless tables will leave crappy tips.  It sucks to work way harder than usual and make the same or even less money than usual because there aren't enough other servers on the floor.  I'll also overtip despite lousy service when some other table is being totally shitty to the server (to the point where she's visibly upset).  When I was a server, I did not mind when a customer (usually drunk or just crazy) went off on me in loud, unfair way because I was pretty much guaranteed "sympathy over-tips" from all the tables that saw what happened.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V

He goes out to eat and leaves no tip for a waitress which is pretty fucked up.  They depend on tips to pay bills as they only make about 2.13 an hour....that's what people are mainly pissed at him for rather than the n-word he also wrote.

He deserves no sympathy whatsoever and is getting what he deserves for being a cheapskate.  If you go out to eat at a restaurant, then leave a tip for your server.  He and his forensic examiner can go fuck themselves.

I didn't believe that servers only make $2.13 an hour, but according to the federal minimum wage laws this is allowed in jobs were tips are expected. Of course state laws supersede. In Oregon, 2013 minimum wage is $8.95 and hour and tips may not be used to offset this. So this is what a server makes plus tips.

I generally tip 20% or better. On the rare occasion when service has been poor, I complained to management. The last time this happened, the server was sent home on the spot and our meal was free. We are good customers. The restaurants we frequent like our business and want to keep us happy.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Why don't you Americans get a fair basic pay for being a waiter and rely less on tips. Put prices up and start increasing the quality of your establishments like in the civilised world. I mean Red Lobster and Olive Garden is haute cuisine for you guys. ::)

I would have thought Scotsman Gordon Ramsay would have made you lift your game a bit by now.
 :D

I think I'd be in favor of that but I'm really not sure.  When foreigners (to the USA) comment on Reddit about things that strike them as different than their home countries, they often cite customer service as being much better in the USA.  In restaurants, tipping is probably the reason.  

BTW, I don't eat at Olive Garden and will only rarely will eat at Red Lobster (only if I have some kind of BOGO-free coupon).  Incidentally, I think the food at Red Lobster is decent (the shrimp is always very fresh in my experience).  The reason I only rarely go is that the service almost always sucks.  You know why?  It's because where I live that kind of food attracts a certain kind of non-tipping customer to the point that good servers won't work there because they can't make money.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
I usually agree with most of your posts but as a former waiter, I'm struggling with this a bit.  Is it illegal for a server to make it known to others that someone has left a sub-standard tip?  Is it really even inappropriate?  Surely it's OK for a server to tell his fellow servers that someone has a history of being a shitty tipper, right?  So how many people is it OK to tell?

There is a huge difference between telling your co-workers "this guy is a bad tipper" (or "this guy is a great tipper" or "This guy is a regular; he likes his water without lemon and is allergic to peanuts!") and publishing someone's name online. Especially when you throw accusations of racism into the mix.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is;  If you're gonna be a cheapskate, then own it.  It's not the end of the world.

The big deal is that my name and tipping habits are between me, the businesses I patronize and the wait staff that the businesses employ. Not the Internet at large.

DO you tip?  Would you really not tip at a place you regularly frequent?  If so, you are a brave dude with a strong immune system.

I usually tip well - even generously when I get great service - but that is irrelevant. It's my decision to do so, and I make it consciously based on my own reasons; if you must know you can chalk it up to the fact that many years ago I worked, albeit briefly, in a restaurant and I know how important tips can be when you're paid peanuts and struggling to make ends meet.

But, of course, I can afford to tip. What about someone who lives paycheck-to-paycheck and can barely make ends meet, who decides to take his girlfriend out for dinner on a special occasion? Or his kids out for pizza on their birthdays? Ask that person - who may very well work in a restaurant himself - whether he can afford an extra 20% on top of the price of food and drinks. Is the answer really "well then don't go out to eat!"? Because that's pretty fucked up.

As for the latter part of your comment, I think that only proves the point that wait staff that would tea-bag a customer's food or piss in their soup have a sense of entitlement and are unprofessional pricks. On top of that it's a form of blackmail: "tip well or else..." And you know something? I don't respond well to blackmail, even when it's silent.

If a restaurant gives me shitty service, I talk to either the server or the manager, as necessary. I may not leave a tip at all if service was particularly horrible or the issue I raised wasn't addressed to my satisfaction but only if the issue was with the server. But if things were that bad, I would be very unlikely to patronize the same establishment again. I live in Las Vegas, so it's not like my restaurant options are limited.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
I tip for take-out. (A couple of bucks only, usually.)  Especially when the person giving you your food is the person who had to box it up.  (Did you never work in a restaurant?)  

Honestly, tipping is seems like a great thing for me.  When I over-tip anywhere (pizza delivery guy, haircut lady, any place I eat or pick up food), I'm pretty much guaranteed better service than the rest of the customers on subsequent visits.  I enjoy knowing that my server will leave the average getbigger's food in the window while they rush off to find me a side plate or whatever.  I usually tip about 25% if the service is pretty good or if there's a good reason (that I sympathize with) for the less than good service*.  Because of the places I eat at, the extra tip usually amounts to only an extra 3 or 4 bucks.  And it will often totally make the server happy.  (Beyond what it should, really, because fuck it, it's only 3 or 4 extra bucks.)

* About over-tipping when service is less than good:  This happens more than it should.  If, for example, I get lousy service because a server has way more tables than usual (because of staff shortage) I'll still over-tip out of sympathy since I know many of clueless tables will leave crappy tips.  It sucks to work way harder than usual and make the same or even less money than usual because there aren't enough other servers on the floor.  I'll also overtip despite lousy service when some other table is being totally shitty to the server (to the point where she's visibly upset).  When I was a server, I did not mind when a customer (usually drunk or just crazy) went off on me in loud, unfair way because I was pretty much guaranteed "sympathy over-tips" from all the tables that saw what happened.

Never worked in a restaurant, but I've always been a good tipper, usually 20% plus. But I've never tipped for take-out, and I don't think most people do. Also, I got no problem stiffing for poor service. Fuck that, you can't check on us once in a while or refill the Diet Coke, you get nothing. Especially when I see them just diddling around doing nothing while we sit and wait. My girlfriend always sneaks in a tip when I'm not paying attention, but I think she's wrong. They have to get the message that they won't be rewarded for shitty service.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Education/UniversitiesColleges/16640/financial-help

Since 2012 all 19 Universities in Scotland are free to Scottish nationals.

Thanks for providing that link.

Another great thing from Alec Salmond.

"great" is relevant and nothing is free.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
 It's because where I live that kind of food attracts a certain kind of non-tipping customer

Racist post unreported.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
Incidentally, I think the food at Red Lobster is decent (the shrimp is always very fresh in my experience).  The reason I only rarely go is that the service almost always sucks.  You know why?  It's because where I live that kind of food attracts a certain kind of non-tipping customer to the point that good servers won't work there because they can't make money.

I've tried Red Lobster a few times. Problem is they fill you up with that horrible soup and scone type things (biscuits?) so you think you've eaten a lot. Servers do try harder in the USA for sure but sometimes they become annoying as they try to tell you their life story.
I'm actually shocked that some states allow $2.19 an hour. I didn't realise that, poor sods. I tip 10% in UK and 20% in USA because your food is generally cheaper than eating in UK.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Sure, but not when it is attached to your credit card information.

That's reasonable and likely right in most parts of the country.  In some parts of the South, though?  Not so sure.  

My sister made the mistake of marrying this navy dork who came from Tennessee. (We're from CA.) When she went to Tennessee to meet his family she saw that they seemed to be successful people with good jobs and a big, nice home.  Imagine her surprise when, at the dinner table while something or other was being discussed, her father-in-law-to-be, blurted out to a family member, "Well that's just a double-Kneegro lie!"  This little anecdote might not mean much but it seems to me like racism in the South (I've lived in NC for the last 5 years) is much more out in the open than in my home state of CA.  

RRKore

• Getbig IV
just curious, are you black? Ive wondered from a couple threads niw

"Sports-model kneegro" is what my full-blooded Portuguese dad used all himself.

No, I'm half portagee, half just plain white.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
That's reasonable and likely right in most parts of the country.  In some parts of the South, though?  Not so sure.  

My sister made the mistake of marrying this navy dork who came from Tennessee. (We're from CA.) When she went to Tennessee to meet his family she saw that they seemed to be successful people with good jobs and a big, nice home.  Imagine her surprise when, at the dinner table while something or other was being discussed, her father-in-law-to-be, blurted out to a family member, "Well that's just a double-Kneegro lie!"  This little anecdote might not mean much but it seems to me like racism in the South (I've lived in NC for the last 5 years) is much more out in the open than in my home state of CA.  

Ha, I'm gonna start using that. But just around white people.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
My sister made the mistake of marrying this navy dork who came from Tennessee. (We're from CA.) When she went to Tennessee to meet his family she saw that they seemed to be successful people with good jobs and a big, nice home.  

Imagine her surprise when, at the dinner table while something or other was being discussed, her father-in-law-to-be, blurted out to a family member, "Well that's just a double-Kneegro lie!"  This little anecdote might not mean much but it seems to me like racism in the South (I've lived in NC for the last 5 years) is much more out in the open than in my home state of CA.  

Hah! Nice one! :D

RRKore

• Getbig IV
Racist post unreported.

LOL.  Sorry, there's a lot of truth to that.  It's not just race, it's race + economic class + shrimp, I think. lol.  It's funny as fuck but the most racist servers of all are themselves, uh, ethnic.  I guess it's because they feel they have license to criticize their own and make no bones whatsoever about expressing the correlations they observe on a regular basis. 

BTW, just so I can offend some more folks, I hear that stereotypes about the shrimp eaters are waning some but some other group is quickly taking their place as the worst tippers.  I'll give you hint, you will not find good servers in restaurants with a lot of vegetarian offerings. 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
"Sports-model kneegro" is what my full-blooded Portuguese dad used all himself.

No, I'm half portagee, half just plain white.
ah, roger that.

Akeelsolid

• Getbig II

Fact-being african-american, When my wife and I are out we are usually, on the "list of people who dont tip" (whatever) I always tip 20%, if the service is great, i do the Bill Murray tip and whatever the bill was i tip the same $100 bill = $100 tip, RRK is right about service, and it is VERY wonderful to know, my family and I are accommodated graciously, and treated with extra attention.
I was taught from the old school "if you cant afford the tip dont eat out"

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Fact-being african-american, When my wife and I are out we are usually, on the "list of people who dont tip" (whatever) I always tip 20%, if the service is great, i do the Bill Murray tip and whatever the bill was i tip the same $100 bill = $100 tip, RRK is right about service, and it is VERY wonderful to know, my family and I are accommodated graciously, and treated with extra attention.
I was taught from the old school "if you cant afford the tip dont eat out"
you tip.100% for good service?

hahahaha.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
You are high.  We're supposed to believe that an idiot who would write that on a credit slip with his name on it would be smart enough to know that it's not in his best interest to go public and fight the charge (because of the Streisand Effect, I presume)?  Haha.  Try again.  

Look, I have no idea who wrote "Knee-gro" on that receipt.  If I worked with that girl and saw the check before her, I would have written it just to fuck with her if I either really liked her or really hated her, haha.  (And I absolutely would not have revealed that I was the one that did it once it became a big deal.)  So who knows?  And while racism hoaxes might very well be common, I'm willing to bet any amount of money that written racist comments are waaaaay more common.  Haven't you ever read through a youtube comment thread or, and this should be completely evident to all here, your average Getbig thread?

Why would he make his face known to the media if he's guilty?  He could have easily walked away and all of this would have blown over.   He didn't do it and he's going to make a nice chunk of change off of this.

There is a difference between writing a slur on a receipt at a restaurant he probably frequents and lives relatively close to and posting a stupid anonymous comment on YouTube. 
A

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
Cleared by a handwriting expert... I think we know what's up.

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
The manager of the restaurant confirmed that this couple order food, but then changed it to a "to-go" order. They didn't eat there.

WTF was this black beetch complaining about?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Not that I don't think you're more credible than the official website. ::)

;D

Typical getbig... lol

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
As a former waiter, I don't agree with this.  If you've worked in a restaurant before you can usually tell why your service is shitty.  And when it's due to the server just sucking, then they need to reqularly get stiffed (get no tip) so that they're forced to quit a job they can't handle.  And believe you me, being a foodserver can be a difficult and highly stressful job.  Many people just can't do it well no matter what.
If service is bad and slow, I just tip my hat as i walk out.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
If I've learned one thing from this thread, it's that BIG AL MCKECHNIE is probably the most unlikeable son of a bitch on getbig.

Are Scots generally this goofy?

???

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
That anyone at all believes he wrote that on a reciept is ridiculous. She was pissed because he didn't tip. End of story. She posted it on facebook to embarass him. Now that the story blew up she has no other choice but to stick to her shit story. Good for him for defending his name.