Author Topic: If you were financially set, would you still work?  (Read 11079 times)

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
Re: If you were financially set, would you still work?
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2013, 04:20:04 AM »
I ask because a lot of city dwellers think it romantic the "simple life" of the farmer.....lol

.........eventually the hobby farm gets sold for half of what was put into it, and flipped to another city bumpkin.
Depends on what you expect of course. I'm happy being self sufficient. I'd be rich, so I wouldn't have to produce for sale. Hell, I could have all my crops fail and still be okay. So I'd be fine. Even now that I do live in the city I have long since gotten rid of all power tools, electrical kitchen appliances, etc. Everything that can be done by hand is done by hand. And I have always liked manual work like demolition, renovating, landscaping (by hand), etc.

Would I buy a farm right now, when I would have to make it produce enough to stay solvent? Fuck no, I've heard enough about how that life is.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2013, 05:33:03 AM »
It is one of man's basic needs to be useful at something, and to be needed - i.e. work etc

If I became filthy rich, it would be as a result of hard work on my part so I would merely delegate more duties and take a more relaxed role in the business I suppose.

If eventually I was not required anymore, I would get involved in some kind of community philanthropy - even if it was just setting up a gym for young ex-cons etc. You have to be doing something useful as a man, or, after a while you WILL get depressed or over indulge in something.

Edit: I don't have my own business, just a thought.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2013, 05:54:56 AM »
I'd work on my own projects full time rather than when I can find time.

I'd build my own house on acreage with help from some buddies.

Don't really envision sitting around eating bon bons.  I tend to stay up too late & sleep too late when I've got time off tho, so I'd probably go through a hardcore vampiric circadian inversion until I got my shit together.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2013, 06:02:25 AM »
I made six figures when I dumped my Netflix stock earlier this year. I could take a lot of time off, but work is good for the soul.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2013, 06:32:38 AM »
And I guess I wouldn't be bored with money anymore.  It was kind of fun making it for awhile.  Felt like vindication, I guess, not that it really was.  I just had one of my best days but the thrill is kind of gone.  Not gone gone, mind you, but still.  You know?

It's just not so interesting that it bears thinking about 50 times a day for 50 years.  I'm fed to the fucking teeth with hearing about it.  What something costs.  A bargain.  The bills.  The pay rise that was a slap in the face, you poor dear.  Do people even talk about anything else?  Yes, think & talk about it sometimes, of course.  But holy fucking shit is there not anything else?  Let's dedicate our entire lives to the pursuit of something so we can not have to think about it ever again.  Wtf is that?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2013, 07:06:54 AM »
It is one of man's basic needs to be useful at something, and to be needed - i.e. work etc

If I became filthy rich, it would be as a result of hard work on my part so I would merely delegate more duties and take a more relaxed role in the business I suppose.

If eventually I was not required anymore, I would get involved in some kind of community philanthropy - even if it was just setting up a gym for young ex-cons etc. You have to be doing something useful as a man, or, after a while you WILL get depressed or over indulge in something.

Edit: I don't have my own business, just a thought.

A gym for young ex cons?  I sure hope the etc includes getting them educated, cleaned up, etc.  or better yet some type of yourh program before they go to jail. 

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2013, 07:30:20 AM »
just setting up a gym for young ex-cons etc.

Moose?  How's the hand, brah?

;D

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2013, 08:48:09 AM »
I'd probably open a small restaurant for the sole reason of belittling the staff and firing whomever I choose on a whim, particularly if I know how badly they need the job, because that's how I roll.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2013, 08:58:18 AM »
I made six figures when I dumped my Netflix stock earlier this year. I could take a lot of time off, but work is good for the soul.

I love getbig!!!!!!  LOL

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2013, 09:03:38 AM »
A gym for young ex cons?  I sure hope the etc includes getting them educated, cleaned up, etc.  or better yet some type of yourh program before they go to jail. 

No just purely to make some good contacts with young criminals.

Seriously though, yes it would be a medium for getting some kind of schedule/accountability into their lives as well as using it as a platform for further mentoring etc

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2013, 09:23:52 AM »
I make a lot of money. Vissy and Goodrum pimp me out to their gay friends. Of course I only make a small margin of what Goodrum rents me out for, but it is enough for a nice Cadillac and the occasional red lobster dinner.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2013, 10:04:37 AM »
No just purely to make some good contacts with young criminals.

Seriously though, yes it would be a medium for getting some kind of schedule/accountability into their lives as well as using it as a platform for further mentoring etc

In a few short years BigCyp will have the toyboy market on lockdown.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »
it's because the people who win the lotto have no idea how to make their own money... they ALWAYS work for someone else.

give me a million and i'll earn $250k on it every year for as long as I want. (legally, mind you).

most people have no long-term goals.. or lack the ability to even THINK long term.

if, for instance i'd pick up a $1 lottery ticket just for shits and giggles while i'm getting gas one day and I won a large sum of money (lets say a few million, after taxes... those blood-sucking-liberal-leaches)

i'd live in a 5br home (probably in Coronado), i'd probably have 2-3 cars and an suv/truck... all certified pre-owned, none new. probably an S550 (for me), a Range Rover Sport (for her and the kids), an a 'toy' for myself, probably a Nissan GT-R... and that'd be it... no Ferrari's, no lambos, ect...

i'd have 5-8 2br rental homes, netting about $500-1k/month each (after mortgage... of course i'll have mortgages, it'll be one of the few tax breaks i'll get)

i'd have 300k in a low-yield dividend funds (4.5-6%)
300-500k in hi-yield dividend funds (8-15%)
and maybe 300k in a higher risk fund or a REIT (15%+)

and 500k in a prop-trading account (probably with interactive brokers)

and a couple a couple 100k annuities.

now, managing #1 the rental properties, and #2 the investment accounts would absolutely still be WORK... so yes, i'd still WORK... just not for anybody else. lol.

oh, and i'd probably still cruise on 1g test & 500mg deca with 8iu humatrope  ;D and cruise easy at about 235 at 8% and eat like a normal person, and train 3-4x a week.

that shit just gets in the way of 8 meals a day.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2013, 04:52:16 PM »
I don't know of one truly wealthy person who is fully retired and does nothing. They die "working".

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2013, 05:29:04 PM »
i have both a business and property trust, I look forward to the day I can rid myself of the business and staff and all the ongoing issues and just concentrate on the property trust, in saying that having money and holding it isn't easy, especially if your always willing to risk it to make more, and as families grow so do the list of beneficiaries and expensive lifestyles, trouble with money is no matter how much you got you always need more. Wealth just like poverty and debt has a way of enslaving you in saying that im sure the view is much better from the wealth side.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
Good to see all the getbiggers staying true to form, trust funds, six figure stock gains etc..

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »
i have both a business and property trust, I look forward to the day I can rid myself of the business and staff and all the ongoing issues and just concentrate on the property trust, in saying that having money and holding it isn't easy, especially if your always willing to risk it to make more, and as families grow so do the list of beneficiaries and expensive lifestyles, trouble with money is no matter how much you got you always need more. Wealth just like poverty and debt has a way of enslaving you in saying that im sure the view is much better from the wealth side.
Damn bro. Don't sound so excited to fire people.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2013, 05:38:57 PM »
Its not firing, the business will be sold, they would be becomes someones else's asset or liability, believe me staff can be both.

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »
I must be the only broke person on getbig. Everybody else is a millionaire.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2013, 02:40:28 PM »
I must be the only broke person on getbig. Everybody else is a millionaire.

Hardly a millionaire here, but not broke either....must be hard. Been there a long time ago, never ever want to go back.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
I don't know of one truly wealthy person who is fully retired and does nothing. They die "working".

This true from what I've seen too.
A

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
there are tow kinds of work, the work you do for yourself, and the work you do for others. At some point even if you convince yourself you re not working for others in a classic 9/5 job , you realize you are. You re someone else's bitch and they know it. That's what motivate them to Wake up in the morning and show up at work to belittle you subtly or boldly.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »

You'd have to define work. Actually there are a lot of folks, including me, who keep busy by volunteering and such. It is hardly work though.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »

But these are self made millionaires I'm talking about. The ones who built up from the ground up...not inheritance.
A