Author Topic: Most impressive lifting feat you have seen IN PERSON in the gym?  (Read 34028 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I think many of us have seen Ronnie and his incredible lifts in his videos, but not too many us have ever seen him in person lifting like that. I was curious about some of the better lifting any of you have seen in person in various gyms.
For me , it was when wroking out with former top AAU America contender , Rick Postin . This was in summer 1986 at his incredible , hardcore gym that used to be in Tampa. I was lucky enough to train with him. He did 315 for 5 decent reps press behind the neck , seated with a basic barbell at a body wt of around 230. He also did  275 for 7 reps on tricep EZ bar skull crushers.

In my book any basic barbell, DB , free wt move is a lot more impressive than a leg press or hammer machine, etc.
 :DI did 9 good , strict reps a few years back with 315 on the BP in front of the freshman football players at my school. Not world class but the yound lads were impressed to see a coach do that in person. :D

I am getting back into basic for reps these days, any others?

GMCtrk

Re: Most impressive lifting feat you have seen IN PERSON in the gym?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 02:42:00 PM »
how are you fitting 275lbs on a EZ bar ???

Prime

• Getbig IV
  • The force is strong in this'un
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 02:43:30 PM »
saw a guy 178lbs squatting 462 for reps.  He was 3 weeks out.  Pretty strong.
And he was natural.
[img]http://ima

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 02:43:59 PM »
I go to a commercial chain gym. Most of the gyms best lifts are performed by me(not bragging). :-\

Farcry

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 02:49:08 PM »
I once saw this one kid, maybe around 22-24, about 275 put up over 450 on the bench for 5 reps pretty insane..not world class but thats the most i ever saw, and when i was in hihg school this one dead lifted 600 pounds with just a belt on and chalk

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 02:49:56 PM »
i saw a woman doing dumbbell shoulder presses with the 50's today for reps.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 02:51:41 PM »
I think many of us have seen Ronnie and his incredible lifts in his videos, but not too many us have ever seen him in person lifting like that. I was curious about some of the better lifting any of you have seen in person in various gyms.
For me , it was when wroking out with former top AAU America contender , Rick Postin . This was in summer 1986 at his incredible , hardcore gym that used to be in Tampa. I was lucky enough to train with him. He did 315 for 5 decent reps press behind the neck , seated with a basic barbell at a body wt of around 230. He also did  275 for 7 reps on tricep EZ bar skull crushers.

In my book any basic barbell, DB , free wt move is a lot more impressive than a leg press or hammer machine, etc.
 :DI did 9 good , strict reps a few years back with 315 on the BP in front of the freshman football players at my school. Not world class but the yound lads were impressed to see a coach do that in person. :D

I am getting back into basic for reps these days, any others?

what is the title of your book ?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 02:54:16 PM »
I lifted a full gallon of milk over my head with one arm once....true story.

MOS

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 03:08:16 PM »
a whole gallon...  i bet you didnt use good form.. did u get a peak contraction... thus workin the bicep belly and the brachalis  ???
choice is an illusion

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 03:16:14 PM »
I saw a guy bench 405 for 5 reps a few months ago. I also saw a ~225 lb bodybuilder bench 375 for 7 reps and squat 5 plates for 4 or 5 reps.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 03:20:05 PM »
i was in the gym on a Saturday morning a few years ago and there's this heavy set powerlifter type dude standing at the DB rack holding a pair of 100's and i'm thinking he's going to do some shrugs and he starts HAMMER CURLING them he does 10 reps with no swinging and rests and does the same thing with a pair of 120's and then a pair of 130's, i didn't believe what i was seeing, really nice guy too.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 03:25:30 PM »
Most unexpected thing i've seen in a gym...

About 10 years ago I worked in a hardcore gym that has many bodybuilders and lots of drugs there.

One day this guy came in to deliver some drinks or something and hung around to say hi to some guys training who he'd obviuosly known from the neighbourhood since they were kids.

This guy was a bulky dude but had a good gut on him and not a lot of arm size or anything. One thing I noticed though was the size and thickness of his wrists and fingers. I think he was greek or italian.

Anyway, after talking to his friends for a bit he grabbed the 140's and, without any warmup, sat on the press chair and repped out a perfect set of 12reps with great form.

I found out later he was a national junior powerlifting champ when he was a kid years before.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 04:28:58 PM »
There are like 3 guys 21-23 yo in the gym. They all Juice. I was pretty impressed when I saw them Squat the other day.

They get under 135, warm up,

225, easy, 12 reps... then this is where it gets good...

315, just was easy as 225- about 12 reps..

405, ok again, pretty easy- id say about 10 reps!

495! this is 5 plates..(as u know)...i think they get like 6 or 8 reps..

585! 6 plates- ok, this is where it looed heavy...jujst a few reps..but STILL!

It just looked really easy...the went pretty low too, at least parallel, and they were fast reps too.

Impressed me- heck, i go 225, 275, 315, and 405 bit maybe 4 reps on 405. I cant imagine another  plate on.. :o

Anyhow, They are on alot of stuff, I talk to them and they tell me. I guess it works! :) There legs dont look tha tbig,  like their upper bodies..

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 05:01:21 PM »
Someone dropped a 10 lbs plate on his toes
I am a mini beast

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 05:13:59 PM »
Well I thought I was doing pretty good w/#365 bench for 5 reps one day. When out of nowhere this big guy in dirty sweats...........must have been 6'2 around 300 pounds warm up w/315, then tossed another 45 on. He then pressed the 405 up and down so fast and under control that the plates rattled loud. ( God I love that). I lost count after 10 reps. He then tossed another plate on for 495 and rattled that for around 5 reps with ease. He then through his sweat towel over his shoulder picked up his bag and walked out the door as his friend unloaded the bar for him.
   No matter how strong I may have felt before I was humbled to say the least. This dudes forearms where like Popeye's, and the rest of him was nuttin but muscle too.
h

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 05:25:32 PM »
Man, this is going back 15 years at least. We had this shortish guy, about 5'5", who was just the right dimensions to make every lift textbook and smooth. When he squatted it was with perfect form, slow down and up - it looked like he was just sitting down on a chair. Saw him do 30 reps with 315. Killed him tho and he was on the floor getting his wind for a good 5 mins but I've never forgotten that one.

SuperNatural

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 05:37:37 PM »
I've never seen it, but I heard a man squatted on one of those stability balls.  Maybe someone has pictures?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 05:42:56 PM »
I peeked in the ladies' room once.

you wouldn't believe what I saw.

buffbong

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 06:08:54 PM »
I SAW A GUY WALK UP TO A BENCH ON THSE METAL THINGS FOR DISABLED PEOPLE CAUSE AND PRESS 670 IN A COMP ALSO SAW A CHICK BENCH 315 IN A COMP.     THIS IS A HUGE LIFT BUT MY TRAINING PARTNER AND I SENIOR YEAR DECIDED TO ENTER A PL SHOW WE NEVER DID DEADLIFTS FOR BACK EXCEPT FOR ONE WEEK BEFORE MAYBE TWO THE SHOW AT THAT TIME.  AND WHEN IT CAME SHOW TIME ROB PICKED UP 475 LIKE I SWEAR IT LOOKED LIKE A PEICE OF PAPER.  HE HAD AMAZING STRONG LEGS COULD DO 315-20 IN HIGHSCHOOL.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 06:10:08 PM »
I SAW A GUY WALK UP TO A BENCH ON THSE METAL THINGS FOR DISABLED PEOPLE CAUSE AND PRESS 670 IN A COMP ALSO SAW A CHICK BENCH 315 IN A COMP.     THIS IS A HUGE LIFT BUT MY TRAINING PARTNER AND I SENIOR YEAR DECIDED TO ENTER A PL SHOW WE NEVER DID DEADLIFTS FOR BACK EXCEPT FOR ONE WEEK BEFORE MAYBE TWO THE SHOW AT THAT TIME.  AND WHEN IT CAME SHOW TIME ROB PICKED UP 475 LIKE I SWEAR IT LOOKED LIKE A PEICE OF PAPER.  HE HAD AMAZING STRONG LEGS COULD DO 315-20 IN HIGHSCHOOL.

maybe you should have skipped one of those PE classes in high school and taken a writing class.

Just a thought.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 06:18:14 PM »
I liftd my leg to let out a huge fart one time.  Does that count

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 06:20:13 PM »
I liftd my leg to let out a huge fart one time.  Does that count

The island of Molokai was quite thankful the wind took an easternly path that day. Woulda been Pearl Harbor all over again.

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006, 08:01:38 PM »
lying skull crushers with ez curl bar and 345 lbs. for reps !!!   :o

testicles

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 08:11:38 PM »
really nice guy too.

did he smell nice ?

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2006, 10:37:01 PM »
In high school, my physics teacher benched 460 raw, weighing a bit under 200.  He was squating over 500, doing dips with 5 or 6 plates- he was insane!  He got me into powerlifting....