Author Topic: You must warm up before lifting  (Read 5627 times)

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
Re: You must warm up before lifting
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 11:57:08 AM »
Pre workout Foam rolling comparable to static stretching?  I don't think so.  Coach, please weigh in.

i'd never, ever have a client get on a foam roller prior to training.. for a variety of reasons.

5mins on a treadmill at a decent incline, or even with the treadmill turned off and pushing myself, plus a little 5-10lbs dumbbell or plate stuff for shoulders. ect... but never stretching or foam rolling. that stuff is for post workout.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 12:00:59 PM »
thought you injured your back when you pulled 6 bills without warm-up in order to impress others in your gym, or maybe it was someone else ???

that might've been me. end of my back workout (tried out a new pre workout.. was still buzzing)... gym was packed and I hadn't deadlifted in at least 6 months.. saw a loaded bar and thought "what the hell"... pulled 530 for a triple and noticed I had a crowd of young kids watching.. so I decided to pull 620 for a triple... thought my tricep was gonna tear off my shoulder insertion. lol... then I thought I had a bulging disk in my low back... but next day I was fine. (no belt btw, just VersaGrips.. double overhand)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »
i've been lifting for over a decade with no injuries or tears

i hope i will remain on this path of blessings

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
thought you injured your back when you pulled 6 bills without warm-up in order to impress others in your gym, or maybe it was someone else ???
I did that with no injury, injured the back after about 4 sets of warmups so I have seen both sides if temperature is cold outside yea a few warmups are required. Correct form is required mostly to avoid injuries.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »
Sounds great, similar to my own, except I don't stretch at all, just quick cardio and tons of warm up sets

no dynamic stretching?
A

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2013, 02:09:05 PM »
no dynamic stretching?

I'll do a variation of ballistic during my first few warm up sets, so I'll use just a barbell for chest for example.

leadhead

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
I do a few light sets but that's it. No serious injuries here but I have pulled a few muscles in the past.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
Plenty of record-setting lifters in this thread.

Why lift heavy if you're not a powerlifter or athlete? If you just want to build your muscles, it doesn't take 80% 1RM weights to do it. Lots of volume, less intense weights (i.e. less load as defined by % of 1RM)...you'll lift longer, you probably won't get hurt as often and your joints will thank you.

Look at Serge Nubret, Arnold, Haney...all built their bodies with an intelligent long-term approach. As the great Haney said, "stimulate, don't annihilate".

I plan to lift well into my old age. I'd hate to think of a life where I can't work out because I busted up my body in my youth. As it is, I've done enough damage. No more.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2013, 07:31:02 PM »
i'd never, ever have a client get on a foam roller prior to training.. for a variety of reasons.

5mins on a treadmill at a decent incline, or even with the treadmill turned off and pushing myself, plus a little 5-10lbs dumbbell or plate stuff for shoulders. ect... but never stretching or foam rolling. that stuff is for post workout.

Can you give me two reasons?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2013, 07:32:02 PM »
Give me the ten names

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
Warming up can be dangerous.

A few years ago in a BJJ class, we were doing jumping jacks, as a warmup, when I heard a pop in my upper back. It turned out to be a partial tear of my infraspinatus.  :'(

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2013, 07:46:25 PM »
Plenty of record-setting lifters in this thread.

you bet ;D

when the fat covers the physique, theres not much else left to brag about than "weight lifted".

anyone whos bragging about such its 99% that they look like shit, lifted weight is so irrelevant to build up muscle, and its such a vague term, its entirely pointless to even discuss it.

let the physiques fo the talking instead.

saddest thing is, most actualy never learn, its akin to going blind through life.

here we are discussing how to warm up for lifting weight, lol, this is incredible.

20minutes warming up?what is this?planning a leave for a mars mission?
n

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2013, 07:47:21 PM »
Warming up can be dangerous.

A few years ago in a BJJ class, we were doing jumping jacks, as a warmup, when I heard a pop in my upper back. It turned out to be a partial tear of my infraspinatus.  :'(

No its not, that's rediculous. Dont look to a BJJ instructor for a proper warm up. I have six MMA gyms using my system and not one injury due to an improper warm up.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2013, 08:52:13 PM »
you bet ;D

when the fat covers the physique, theres not much else left to brag about than "weight lifted".

anyone whos bragging about such its 99% that they look like shit, lifted weight is so irrelevant to build up muscle, and its such a vague term, its entirely pointless to even discuss it.

saddest thing is, most actualy never learn, its akin to going blind through life.

here we are discussing how to warm up for lifting weight, lol, this is incredible.

Totally agree! I can understand this whole warm-up business if your only job is to lift weights, for the sake of lifting weights (i.e. powerlifter or olympic lifter).

But I don't think there's many professional strongmen out there.

So what's with all this warm-up shit? Honestly, guys have gone to the gym for decades and built great physiques without 30 minutes facial stretching and pre-activation and foam rolling and ART and all this shit. It's just marketing bullshit to a sub-culture of a sub-culture, propagating bro science. "Oh, the reason I'm not big, is because I have imbalances preventing my t-spine from allowing me to dorsi-flex properly in a squat so as to keep my pelvis in posterior tilt". Seriously, spare me. What a load of shit for the average guy.

Just pick something up that wont crush you, lift it a bunch of times with some good form, and you're done. That's 99% of it. The rest is all bullshit.

But we lifters love to overcomplicate what should be a simple hobby.

Again, for all the athletes and what-not, sure. When I was an athlete, it mattered. I'm not anymore. Just an average guy in the gym. Not going to be in WSM, or bench in a shirt, or make the Red Sox farm team...just an average guy. So average workouts will do for me just fine.

Lots of sets, lots of reps, lots of exercises, not so much weight I can't feel the muscle for 15 reps, full ROM...don't eat too much, starve a little bit, try to eat good foods that came from the earth... It's really that simple.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2013, 10:02:49 PM »
I'm thinking there's a total lack education when it comes to training in this thread. You actually have some people comparing the way 70's bodybuilders warm up to today's protocols. Even if you are bodybuilding there still has to be movement preparation, soft tissue work, activation. This is far from "bro-science. It seems no one wants to research, pick up a book, go to a eminar or even  learn the basics.Fact, not everyone can squat, not everyone can externally rotate their shoulders to even grab the bar to squat, not everyone can squat parallel even if hthey can squat just to name a couple of examples. Some of you on here are even trainers saying this and you wonder why trainers get a bad rap. It's not all lifting weights , you don't seem to understand that, its about improving the quality of life be it a bodybuilder or a fat soccer mom. Most Here are stuck in the stone age.

One poster said he would never foam roll a client...why? If you have plantar facitus what do you do? Soft tissue work usually with a golf ball + rest. Well, you have facia throughout your body, why would you not release that facia before your warm up and train? There's a direct correlation between myofacial release, dynamic warm-up/Mobility and injury reduction beit bodybuilding, being an athlete, powerlifter or strongman.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
I know guys who foam roll and do the lacrose balls preworkout so they can train without pain. If they don't foam and lacrose ball preworkout they have to deal with pain.
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2013, 10:26:07 PM »
I know guys who foam roll and do the lacrose balls preworkout so they can train without pain. If they don't foam and lacrose ball preworkout they have to deal with pain.

Yep, we have a shit load of lacrosse ball, handballs, golf ball because we do a ton of trigger point especially in the sub-scaps, traps and QL.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2013, 10:37:42 PM »
snx killing it in this thread, as usual

coach desperately trying to stay relevant, hawking 3rd rate service-oriented snake oil ;D

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2013, 08:10:23 AM »

coach desperately trying to stay relevant, hawking 3rd rate service-oriented snake oil ;D

Whatever you say sister. Be sure to throw up your client list.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2013, 08:17:06 AM »

snx is one of my favorites here, and while I think his post makes sense, it's only in the context of building a decent physique and not getting injured.

I still like to get faster/stronger, but as I get older, more stuff hurts.  Coach's advice and techniques have been very helpful to me.

Y

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
Yep, we have a shit load of lacrosse ball, handballs, golf ball because we do a ton of trigger point especially in the sub-scaps, traps and QL.

Bro you still haven't addressed why to do it pre vs post??? There's a lot of CSCS coaches out there advocating POST wo only, never deep tissue or fascia stretching before.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2013, 08:19:27 AM »
Bro you still haven't addressed why to do it pre vs post??? There's a lot of CSCS coaches out there advocating POST wo only, never deep tissue or fascia stretching before.

Right here, my friend.

If you have plantar facitus what do you do? Soft tissue work usually with a golf ball + rest. Well, you have facia throughout your body, why would you not release that facia before your warm up and train? There's a direct correlation between myofacial release, dynamic warm-up/Mobility and injury reduction beit bodybuilding, being an athlete, powerlifter or strongman.
Y

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »

I actually did...One poster said he would never foam roll a client...why? If you have plantar facitus what do you do? Soft tissue work usually with a golf ball + rest. Well, you have facia throughout your body, why would you not release that facia before your warm up and train? There's a direct correlation between myofacial release, dynamic warm-up/Mobility and injury reduction beit bodybuilding, being an athlete, powerlifter or strongman.

Part of our pre-training warm up include flexibility as well as after. It make no sense to do a  myofacial release after training. The first thing our clients do when they walk in is sign in and grab a foam roller. They spend 5-7min on a seven point release..

1. Lumbar, Thoracic, upper back (rhomboids)/Cervical no higher than C6.

2. IT bands

3. Glutes and glute ham tie-in

4. TFL

Then depending on the day (upper or lower) we have activation/mobility both seven point drills.  

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2013, 08:39:06 AM »
you bet ;D

I believe there's more to lifting than attracting bitches. There can be joy in the lifting itself.
Getting stronger can be very satisfying in itself for some people... the people killing themselves in the gym for decades, with close to zero appreciation or admiration from other people is proof of that, or why else would they do it?

I lift for strength because I can't do bodybuilding due to poor genes and injuries. Getting stronger is still fun, I can lift in an empty gym, tell no one what I lifted, but it's still very satisfying to set PR's. It's almost a religious feeling.:D

Just lifting for bitches in the club, or admiration from other men, seems so superficial. And the whole idea behind having all your self worth being dependent on your sexy buff looks is kinda depressing to me. Some day the physique goes, then what's left?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2013, 09:44:52 AM »
I believe there's more to lifting than attracting bitches. There can be joy in the lifting itself.
Getting stronger can be very satisfying in itself for some people... the people killing themselves in the gym for decades, with close to zero appreciation or admiration from other people is proof of that, or why else would they do it?

I lift for strength because I can't do bodybuilding due to poor genes and injuries. Getting stronger is still fun, I can lift in an empty gym, tell no one what I lifted, but it's still very satisfying to set PR's. It's almost a religious feeling.:D

Just lifting for bitches in the club, or admiration from other men, seems so superficial. And the whole idea behind having all your self worth being dependent on your sexy buff looks is kinda depressing to me. Some day the physique goes, then what's left?

the black dude is in his early-mid 60's and the white dude is in his mid-late 50's (no homo)