Author Topic: The problem with the new generation of immigrants  (Read 2853 times)

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
Re: The problem with the new generation of immigrants
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2013, 11:16:30 AM »
Why is this term always used? "Hard working"? And why is it that many of the countries from where these "hard working" people come from, are benefiting from the "hard work"? Meaning that these countries have a standard of living that seems to be below the American poverty line for most of it's inhabitants?

And why is it that we tend to apply the term "hard working" to people who do manual labor? In American History, it's black slaves, Italians, Latino, Irish, Chinese, Spanish, African, English, whatever...it is usually in reference to those who come in and do manual labor jobs---and keep their mouths shut.

I find that this term is often implied to mean "of the working class" or "blue collar" and is a slick way of making a class distinction, of defining someone without really demeaning them.

These dummies take pride in being hard working slaves. They've been mentally manipulated to wear it like a badge of honor. I guess its better than having people running around on crime sprees.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »
I don`t really think it was ever that way.  In fact, they have assimilated more now than ever.  Before, you would have neighborhoods divided up by nationality and race and there would never be any cross-over.  The Irish, German, Italian, Asian, Black etc... would all stick to their roots and themselves.
20/30'S YEAH ESPECIALLY IN NYC AND PROBABLY CHICAGO/PHILLY WHEN IMMIGRANTS CAME ITALIANS SET UP SHOP AND THERE REGION AS WELL SICILIANS STAYED WHERE THEY WERE,CALABRESE AND NEOPOLITANS HAD THERE NEIBORHOOD,AFTER A WHILE AS TIME GREW THEN SICILIAN WOULD MARRY A NAPOLI OR CALABRESE OR GENOA,IN THE BEGINNING NO A SICILIAN MARRIED A SICILIAN ,IRISH SAME THEY HAD THERE NEIBORHOODS,AGAIN IN NYC MANY ITALIAN MARRIED IRISH AND VICE VERSA...

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »
20/30'S YEAH ESPECIALLY IN NYC AND PROBABLY CHICAGO/PHILLY WHEN IMMIGRANTS CAME ITALIANS SET UP SHOP AND THERE REGION AS WELL SICILIANS STAYED WHERE THEY WERE,CALABRESE AND NEOPOLITANS HAD THERE NEIBORHOOD,AFTER A WHILE AS TIME GREW THEN SICILIAN WOULD MARRY A NAPOLI OR CALABRESE OR GENOA,IN THE BEGINNING NO A SICILIAN MARRIED A SICILIAN ,IRISH SAME THEY HAD THERE NEIBORHOODS,AGAIN IN NYC MANY ITALIAN MARRIED IRISH AND VICE VERSA...

None of us were born in the 1800's or 1920-30 ( vince and wes excluded) so my point of view is not based on then.  Yes little areas assembled back then, little Italy, china, etc...  But I'm talking about the last dozen or so years.

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2013, 12:51:51 PM »
None of us were born in the 1800's or 1920-30 ( vince and wes excluded) so my point of view is not based on then.  Yes little areas assembled back then, little Italy, china, etc...  But I'm talking about the last dozen or so years.

My father was born in 1929 and was one of those Italian immigrants settling in Philly. He learned English, sold fruit, etc. Became an American. He didn't come here and try to force everyone else to speak Italian. My parents had me and my sister later in life... He was in his 50s... Because they waited until they were stable had a house money for our education etc.

The parasites you call immigrants today are NOT the same. I'm 40 and first generation in America.... And grew up in South Philly... Which still is very multicultural ( mainly oriental now ) so I have a decent perspective on the matter.
$

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2013, 01:12:40 PM »
http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_76.htm#.Uo-F_uKmamQ

Assimilation at its highest level in decades

Figure 2 displays the long-term trends in the assimilation index from 1980 to 2011. The figure shows trends in the composite assimilation index, which incorporates data on economic, civic, and cultural indicators, and component indices that consider sets of indicators in isolation. The composite index is always lower than the components. Logically, the algorithm used to predict whether an individual is native- or foreign-born is always more effective when it uses more information. The composite index uses the most information.

All measures, the composite and all components, have shown an increase in recent years. These trends are most obvious using cultural and civic indicators. Since the onset of recession, these two indices have increased steadily. The economic assimilation index, by contrast, fell during the recession, underscoring the particular vulnerability of immigrant families in the American economy. Economic assimilation shows an uptick, however, in the most recent data. The composite index now stands at 30, after spending more than two decades in the 20s.

All four measures now stand at levels that have not been exceeded since the 1980s. The degree of similarity between the foreign- and native-born populations is now higher than it has been in a generation.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2013, 01:13:24 PM »

Immigrants of the past quarter-century have assimilated more rapidly than their counterparts of a century ago, even though they are more distinct from the native population upon arrival. The increase in the rate of assimilation among recently arrived immigrants explains why the overall index has remained stable, even though the immigrant population has grown rapidly.

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/vigdor.htm

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2013, 01:17:33 PM »
http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cr_76.htm#.Uo-F_uKmamQ

Assimilation at its highest level in decades

Figure 2 displays the long-term trends in the assimilation index from 1980 to 2011. The figure shows trends in the composite assimilation index, which incorporates data on economic, civic, and cultural indicators, and component indices that consider sets of indicators in isolation. The composite index is always lower than the components. Logically, the algorithm used to predict whether an individual is native- or foreign-born is always more effective when it uses more information. The composite index uses the most information.

All measures, the composite and all components, have shown an increase in recent years. These trends are most obvious using cultural and civic indicators. Since the onset of recession, these two indices have increased steadily. The economic assimilation index, by contrast, fell during the recession, underscoring the particular vulnerability of immigrant families in the American economy. Economic assimilation shows an uptick, however, in the most recent data. The composite index now stands at 30, after spending more than two decades in the 20s.

All four measures now stand at levels that have not been exceeded since the 1980s. The degree of similarity between the foreign- and native-born populations is now higher than it has been in a generation.
I did not understand this, as it was not in Spanish
Also, why does the link keep referencing Mexico?
That is offensive to my Central American cohorts, and again. This means nothing as it is not in Spanish.
You should give me the option of Spanish, as it is given by banks, ATMs and other businesses.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »
When are the Mexicans giving California back to Spain?
A

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2013, 03:49:38 PM »
I don't agree with the OP but I think I understand why he thinks what he does.  Immigrants are not assimilating any more slowly than they have in the past, but I think the ones that are not assimilating are not "keeping their heads down" as they did in the past.  That's all.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2013, 03:57:10 PM »
actually the problem is that many of the anchor ninos DO adopt the typical American young persons ''work ethic'' - in their minds why should they get paid minimum wage doing manual labor when they should be earning six figures (as high school drop outs with no marketable skills)

so you end up needing to import even more hard working poor from the country next door and their kids grow up entitled

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »
actually the problem is that many of the anchor ninos DO adopt the typical American young persons ''work ethic'' - in their minds why should they get paid minimum wage doing manual labor when they should be earning six figures (as high school drop outs with no marketable skills)

so you end up needing to import even more hard working poor from the country next door and their kids grow up entitled

Once you grant citizenship to illegals they are no longer attractive to employers because of pesky things like paper work and minimum wage-among other things-, thus requiring more illegals and guest workers to fill the vacuum.  It's a constant never ending cycle.  Amnesty will create millions of illiterate workers who can't speak English and have no education or marketable skills.  They won't even be able to find consistent work in the fields they were formally employed as an illegal.  Now how will these newly minted citizens provide for their families?
A