Author Topic: Question for God believers  (Read 33522 times)

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Question for God believers
« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »
To theists perhaps, but not necessarily to those who rely on science alone for knowledge of reality.

Explain Life then ....

Ill check back in 2014.

WoooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
You asshole, Universe does not mean "a single spoken sentence" as is known today, it;s all that exists by definition.

thus the postulation that god existed outside the universe is like saying what was before the big bang, it's nonsensical.

Also, isn't heaven in christianity a place, where people live? clearly this is not space, I find your interpretation odd.

Talking about what came before the Big Bang is not at all nonsensical.  Both you and I did it in our posts.  

The difficulty is that there is no way to get any direct information about anything before the BB.  But scientists talk about it all the time:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130502-what-came-before-the-big-bang

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »
Mein Kampf outsells Bible on Amazon.com
what more evidence is needed  :D
Ah, but people give away free bibles. I have one that was left on my doorstep. Brand spanking new. And hotels tend to have them as well.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2013, 08:21:05 AM »
Talking about what came before the Big Bang is not at all nonsensical.  Both you and I did it in our posts.  

The difficulty is that there is no way to get any direct information about anything before the BB.  But scientists talk about it all the time:

You are still having trouble with the concept of time, aren't you. If there is no time, there is no before the big bang.
V

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #229 on: December 04, 2013, 09:08:49 AM »
yes our reality is kinda overrated, our sense for reality, we dont hear many soundwaves,but theyre there, we dont see x rays with our eyes but theyre there.
hell we dont even see the air, but its there.

however im all for honest scienc if everyone can learn something from it, keyword learn, not benefit.

and the religious ppl could be bit more tolerant in thinkng and acceptance of others, and believers of other religions.
it mustnt mean that god looks as described in the bible, sure it says he made us in his mirrror or whatever the saying is(im the case in point btw ;D ) but theres no accurate descrition,it could all be interpreted metaphoricaly.

god could be that force that made the bigang happen, thatd be my conclusion, and id rather call it creating force.the ten commandments are just minor ammendments(and the laws in nations are indirectly originated from them in a way often),bc the humans would smash eachothers skulls in to no end if it wasnt for certain rules.

some romantic anarchists will disagree,but for every peaceful anarchist,i know 2 absolute psychopaths who would murder them just for fun if there was no rules.

The ten commandments are utterly brilliant, definitely divinely inspired. lets look at the ten best rules to live by guys, written by the all-knowing.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me- Ok great rule to live by, really helpful.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.- ok he's insecure and sounds like kim jong ill a bit here

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.Jesus christ, these are listed in order of importance are they?

Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.can dig it

Thou shalt not kill.meh, like for food or murder? because killing is required to live, odd that the person who set this fucking thing up would have that stipulation

Thou shalt not commit adultery.meh

Thou shalt not steal.k

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.Never?

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour’s.

As you can see they leave out rape, incest, ethics etc. they are pretty fucking poor.

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
« Reply #230 on: December 04, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »
You are still having trouble with the concept of time, aren't you. If there is no time, there is no before the big bang.

I guess then physicists Alan Guth, Lee Smolin, and Leonard Susskind (among others) are also "having trouble with the concept of time" because they all have discussed the possibility that time did not begin with the Big Bang.

I don't think you even read the reference I posted or you would understand that.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #231 on: December 04, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »
Of course we can say things are fact, this is the very basis of scientific enquiry.  Without their being fixed laws, the modern world wouldn't exist as it is today.  Gravity for instance is a FACT, 2 +2 = 4 is a fact. The speed of light being constant is a fact.  Scientific facts enabled electricity, cars, planes etc etc..  If you didn't accept these facts, you wouldn't drive or fly.  I think your proposition absolutely absurd.

And not all men are created equal, not everyone is of limited intelligence as you.  Science isn't expressing their thoughts and beliefs as proofs, you obviously have no concept of the way science works.  Science is based on evidence, it needs to be verifiable, if a thought or a belief cannot be verified, then it is discarded.

It sounds like you have had a few too many hits from the bong.  I don't know if you have been paying attention, but humanity has been finding countless answers to it's questions, and not by some mystical 'looking within' but by hard work, learning and scientific principles.  I think your assertion that we are all pigs wallowing in the mud is simply a projection of your own unconscious assessment of your life.

all that you call 'fact' is meerly the value you have been taught to asign something.

why are you so angry? it's amusing to hear you attack people using an 'intelligence' that is not your own. not one word you have spoken, or idea you have relayed is a result of your own thought process. you are meerly a regurgitating puppet who places a high value on an intelligence that is no more his than it is anyone else's.

is this intelligence to you? regurgitating ideologies and thoughts of people who have come before you? if anything you are nothing better than a parasite feeding off of the original ideas of others in an attempt to make himself feel as learned as those who ideas they were in the first place.

some 'intellect' you are. lol come back when you have an original thought, sunshine, and floor us all with your wisdom and great intelligence.

don't worry I won't hold my breath I'll just anticipate more empty words, regurgitative speech and unoriginal thoughts.

i would suggest maybe it's better if you just stop posting altogether. but then I wouldn't get to see the clown with the floppy red shoes and big red nose and curly orange hair run around this thread juggling the ideas of others in an attempt to be the intellect he so desperately wishes he was.
b

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2013, 09:42:20 AM »

Ya it is non-sensical by very definition since the big bang is the start of the space time continum, thus before is a temporal term as such using it to describe a point of no time is non-sensical.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2013, 09:44:25 AM »

Actually, he appears to have had just the right number of hits from the bong.

thanks man! I'm in a great place. what it is or where it is or what the purpose is I have no clue. all I know is that I'm here, and on a amazing journey that we call 'life'.
b

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Ya it is non-sensical by very definition since the big bang is the start of the space time continum, thus before is a temporal term as such using it to describe a point of no time is non-sensical.

OK, so you know more than the people in the article, and you know more than Alan Guth, the inventor of Inflation. 

How come we haven't heard of your contributions to physics, in that case?

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »
Of course we can say things are fact, this is the very basis of scientific enquiry.  Without their being fixed laws, the modern world wouldn't exist as it is today.  Gravity for instance is a FACT, 2 +2 = 4 is a fact. The speed of light being constant is a fact.  Scientific facts enabled electricity, cars, planes etc
it is a fact that we will improve ourselves and become immortal, Gods, and that at some point we will have to leave the planet and disseminate life somewhere else in the universe. It is a fact that studying and reverse engeenering life we might at some point be able to recreate it.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »

all that you call 'fact' is meerly the value you have been taught to asign something.

why are you so angry? it's amusing to hear you attack people using an 'intelligence' that is not your own. not one word you have spoken, or idea you have relayed is a result of your own thought process. you are meerly a regurgitating puppet who places a high value on an intelligence that is no more his than it is anyone else's.

is this intelligence to you? regurgitating ideologies and thoughts of people who have come before you? if anything you are nothing better than a parasite feeding off of and parroting the original ideas of others  in an attempt to make himself seem as learned as those who ideas they were in the first place.

some 'intellect' you are. lol come back when you have an original thought, sunshine, and floor us all with your wisdom and great intelligence.

don't worry sparky I won't hold my breath I'll just anticipate more empty words, regurgitative speech and unoriginal thoughts.

i would suggest maybe it's better if you just stop posting altogether. but then I wouldn't get to see the clown with the floppy red shoes and big red nose and curly orange hair run around this thread juggling the ideas of others in an attempt to be the intellect he so desperately wishes he was.

Part of being intelligent is indeed the regurgitating of ideologies and thoughts of people who have come before me.  The wisdom involved is knowing which information to regurgitate.  Because according to your logic, Intelligence = originality, so someone could claim 2+2=5 and using your logic, and because they aren't regurgitating historical learning, they are Intelligent.

Further to this, I never claimed to be an Intellect, that is a label you have given me, I merely pointed out that you made the assumption that all men were of the same limited intelligence when you said "when all our 'beliefs' come from the ideas or words of other men. people who are as of limited intelligence as the rest of us". Suggesting that all men are of the same level of Intelligence.  An absurd suggestion.  To suggest that the brightest amongst us are as intellectually limited as the stupidest amongst us is ridiculous.  Part of Intelligence is being able to recognise it in others, something you obviously lack based on your statement.  

Those who are at the top of the Intelligence spectrum, have utilised the wisdom that has come before them and then added to or modified it to further enhance humanities stockpile of knowledge and wisdom. Intelligent people aren't simply repeating the wisdom of others, they are reworking it to make it their own.  Just as some of the greatest guitar riffs are based on common scales, the learning of the scale is done by repetition and regurgitation (as you like to call it), the creation of the riff is the creative modification of that scale. That is Intelligence, and it couldn't have happened without the repetition and regurgitation of the learning by those who came before them

I think you have read one too many New Age Hippy Books.  To quote your hippy wisdom "all that you call 'fact' is meerly the value you have been taught to asign something. sic".  I often wonder how people who say and believe such things get through the day.

And to suggest a fact is a value I have been taught to assign something is a ridiculous assertion.  A fact is something that is true regardless of the value I assign to it.  It doesn't matter the value I assign to any fact taught to me.  I could be taught to assign a value of five to the equation 2+2 and call it a fact.  The 'assigned value' I was taught doesn't equal fact, nor will it ever.

Your accusation of being unoriginal means nothing to me, as it is obvious you are simply repeating New Age garbage as if it is your own thinking.  The whole 'nothing is real, look within' garbage has been done to death.'  All you are doing is what all these NewAge wankers do, and that's make vague pronouncements that ultimately mean nothing.  Even the concept of the average punter being a 'repeater' is from the realm of Conspiracy Kooks like David Icke, who likes to use the term to mock those who don't believe that lizards run the planet.  Next thing you know you will be telling me David Icke is on to it, and the rest of us are too indoctrinated by the Illuminati to know better.  

Many of us have been through the same stage you have, believing we could possibly be living in a matrix or we could just be a 'Brain in a vat' and nothing is ultimately real and everything is subjective and positive affirmations work blah blah blah.  Let me save you some time,  all that newage garbage is just that, garbage.  You keep going around claiming there is no such thing as a fact, you are likely to end up in a cozy padded cell.  

And what makes you think you aren't regurgitating the ideologies and thoughts of people who have come before you?  Serious question.
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2013, 10:38:27 AM »

I guess then physicists Alan Guth, Lee Smolin, and Leonard Susskind (among others) are also "having trouble with the concept of time" because they all have discussed the possibility that time did not begin with the Big Bang.

I don't think you even read the reference I posted or you would understand that.

Yeah, but were not talking about Alan Guth, Lee Smolin, and Leonard Susskind's theories.  We are talking about the theory that posits that time started at the big bang, under this paradigm it is pointless discussing what came before, as there is no before. 

Maybe you should give us a brief overview of the alternate theories regarding time and the origins of the Universe.
V

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »

OK, so you know more than the people in the article, and you know more than Alan Guth, the inventor of Inflation.  

Time and temporal relations as we understand them are properties of this universe. It's possible that something similar existed "before" the Big Bang, and it is possible that our definitions could be extended to cover that concept too.

But time as we currently understand it started with the Big Bang according to the best theories we have available. You are welcome to produce specific quotes from the people whose names you mention suggesting otherwise.

I don't know why this seems so difficult and challenging to you.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2013, 11:17:01 AM »

logical fallacy number one, straw man, I didn't say I knew more then the people in the article, logical fallacy two, appeal to authority.

No one knows, it's a philosophical question about something abstract, logic dictates by the definitions we use to define temporality negate the very question.

It's like asking what is outside the universe. It might be a million more universes, but as it stands, it is the totality of existenc thus the question is retarded.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #240 on: December 04, 2013, 11:17:24 AM »
I am not even going to bother to quote your words for they mean nothing. it's just more words.

as for 'what I know' or 'what I believe' I have found in myself. I don't read the opinions of others and take them as my own. the greatest thinkers of all time all had 'original' ideas thoughts and summations. 'gravity' did not exist until newton assigned a value to it. think of what else is out there that doesn't exist, that is waiting for an original thought to give it life.

lol new age. I haven't read one book, dissertation or opinion of another that has shapes what I 'know'. what I know has come thru a journey of self discovery. can you say the same?

c'mon e-kul, surely to GOD you've had ONE original idea though or belief that you haven sucked from the consciousness of another being. just ONE bro. no?

you can do it bro. instead of responding with a wall of text that says nothing inspire us all with your fucking brilliance.

please, show us all this great intellect you have bottled up inside you just waiting to explode forth.

start with an original though word or idea. you can do this can't you?

dazzle us all.
b

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: December 04, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »
Time and temporal relations as we understand them are properties of this universe. It's possible that something similar existed "before" the Big Bang, and it is possible that our definitions could be extended to cover that concept too.

But time as we currently understand it started with the Big Bang according to the best theories we have available. You are welcome to produce specific quotes from the people whose names you mention suggesting otherwise.

I don't know why this seems so difficult and challenging to you.
I just watched this short youtube clip by Alan Guth about how The Universe might be infinite.  Pretty deep stuff.

V

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
We got to keep on trucking every single day.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #243 on: December 04, 2013, 11:29:02 AM »
I just watched this short youtube clip by Alan Guth about how The Universe might be infinite.  Pretty deep stuff.

I think it's very reasonable to assume the universe is infinite. 

Should be a cool clip to watch....most likely a lot of it over my head LOL, but cool.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: December 04, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
I am not even going to bother to quote your words for they mean nothing. it's just more words.

as for 'what I know' or 'what I believe' I have found in myself. I don't read the opinions of others and take them as my own. the greatest thinkers of all time all had 'original' ideas thoughts and summations. 'gravity' did not exist until newton assigned a value to it. think of what else is out there that doesn't exist, that is waiting for an original thought to give it life.

lol new age. I haven't read one book, dissertation or opinion of another that has shapes what I 'know'. what I know has come thru a journey of self discovery. can you say the same?

c'mon e-kul, surely to GOD you've had ONE original idea though or belief that you haven sucked from the consciousness of another being. just ONE bro. no?

you can do it bro. instead of responding with a wall of text that says nothing inspire us all with your fucking brilliance.

please, show us all this great intellect you have bottled up inside you just waiting to explode forth.

start with an original though word or idea. you can do this can't you?

dazzle us all.
The irony is I am being asked to demonstrate original thinking by someone who is yet to demonstrate their ability to do so. I would be interested to learn whose opinions you think I am repeating.  Rather than pointing out others perceived deficiencies, why don't you try explaining what you mean.  Offer a convincing argument as to why I lack original thought.  Hell, even a simple demonstration of original thinking would be a good start.  Original thinking only has value if it is superior to current thinking. I could create an original sentence like the following "are giants gathering nodules for supercilious modifications".  Sure it's original alright, but it's just word salad, it doesn't mean anything. I think your desire for wanting to be an original thinker has clouded your assessment of what that actually means, and the path to achieving such a goal.  Original thinking does not equal intelligent or meaningful thinking.

And if we look at thoughts in terms of their link to the uniqueness of each moment, then all thoughts are original, as they will never occur again, the context they occurred in is unique and by definition unrepeatable.  If we look at original thought in more practical terms, there is no such thing as original thought independant of other thoughts.

Also, we were discussing your false assertion that facts don't exist, nothing to do with repeating the opinion of others.   2+2=4 isn't the opinion of someone else.  It is mathematical fact. .  In theory, there is no such thing as an original thought, as it is dependant on a chain of thinking and ideas.  It may be considered an extension or adaptation of a train of thought, but it is not original as it is dependant on prior information.  It is like saying the word 'getbigger' is original because prior to getbig it has never been uttered before, but it is simply a modification of the word 'getbig' using a grammatical principle to change the word 'getbig' from a noun to a verb.  It's so called originality was dependant on other previously discovered principles.

All your propositions are absurd, the suggestion that gravity didn't exist until Newton assigned a value to it is the most imbecilic thing I have ever heard.  Gravities existence is independant of anybody knowing about it.  Even if gravity was never discovered it would continue to exist.  I think part of your problem is you incorrectly assess reality.  When you say 'think of what else is out there that doesn't exist, that is waiting for an original thought to give it life.'.  If something doesn't exist, it doesn't exist, no amount of thoughts can make it exist.  

The discoveries of say something like gravity isn't due to original thinking. Human beings would have always understood that it exists, as the consistency of which it could be observed would have been undeniable. All that Newton did, using the collective knowledge that had been accumulated until that point in time, was find a way to articulate what it was and how it worked.  This wasn't because he was an original thinker, most of the knowledge needed to explain the law was thanks to other great thinkers before him.  He simply collaborated that knowledge, used his intellect to expand upon it and utilised scientific principles to explain his discovery.

You are deluded if you believe your thinking is independant of everyone elses.  You are a product of the same environment every human being is.  
Your acquired body of knowledge and opinions is a due to a web of interdependence. From the time you were born you have been taught ideas that you have modified to make your own. Just as the top floor of a skyscraper couldn't exist without the foundations below it, your thinking, your ideas couldn't exist without the historical foundations of collective knowledge and wisdom that came before it.

I think you misunderstand how great minds from the past developed their original ideas, they first learned the way everyone else does and then they added to that.  Their genius didn't come from making a decision to think original thoughts.  Their knowledge and wisdom was the accumulation of learning from countless great thinkers before them.  Just as Hawkings Discoveries couldn't have happened without Einsteins discoveries that couldn't have happened without Galileo's discoveries and so forth.

I actually think you are seriously deluded, like seriously psychiatrically ill.  This absurd notion that others haven't shaped youw worldview is the height of arrogance and indication of an inability to assess reality. It is obvious at the very least you are deeply narcisstic, having a deep need to believe you are some type of original thinker and your learning is from some magical source and not from where everyone else gets it, the world around them.  Marilyn Manson is original, it doesn't stop him from being a fucking douchebag. Marilyn had the original thought to be the first man to get breast implants (so much for originality). Originality certainly does not equal intelligence.   And your posts have descended into common insults, probably the lowest and most unoriginal form of wit known to man.  You don't even attempt to explain your strange ideas, you just simply ridicule anyone who disagrees with them. HOW ORIGINAL.  

This is why I compared you to Falcon when I read your original word salad post.    Don't just take my opinion for it then, go run some of your ideas by the local psychiatrists, and see what they say.  Tell the psychiatrist what you have said here, tell them that their life is a movie, that each planet or star in their universe represents an event they either have or have not visited yet. Tell them you believe you don't think anyone can say anything is 'fact'.  That there is no 'time'. That the past the present and the future have already happened and are happening now.  Get back to me and let me know how that goes for you.

Just because you claim to derive your knowledge from a journey of self discovery, doesn't mean you will come to any correct conclusions.  A journey of self discovery is only necessary when you have exhausted the wisdom of others, to take such a journey without the appropriate foundation is like trying to teach yourself algebra without first being taught Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division.  For the uninitiated, a journey of self discovery could be the long way around to discovering oneself, it may even prevent you from doing so.

The kernel, the soul — let us go further and say the substance, the bulk, the actual and valuable material of all human utterances — is plagiarism.  For substantially all ideas are second-hand, consciously and unconsciously drawn from a million outside sources, and daily use by the garnerer with a pride and satisfaction born of the superstition that he originated them; whereas there is not a rag of originality about them anywhere except the little discoloration they get from his mental and moral calibre and his temperament, and which is revealed in characteristics of phrasing. When a great orator makes a great speech you are listening to ten centuries and ten thousand men—but we call it his speech, and really some exceedingly small portion of it is his. But not enough to signify. It is merely a Waterloo. It is Wellington's battle, in some degree, and we call it his; but there are others that contributed. It takes a thousand men to invent a telegraph, or a steam engine, or a phonograph, or a telephone or any other important thing—and the last man gets the credit and we forget the others. He added his little mite—that is all he did. These object lessons should teach us that ninety-nine parts of all things that proceed from the intellect are plagiarisms, pure and simple; and the lesson ought to make us modest. But nothing can do that.- Mark Twain
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: December 04, 2013, 12:13:51 PM »
I think it's very reasonable to assume the universe is infinite.  

Should be a cool clip to watch....most likely a lot of it over my head LOL, but cool.
It has something to do with the stranger properties of space and time based on the theory of general relativity. If the Universe is inside some theoretical bubble, space time is tremendously distorted compared to outside the bubble. Inside the bubble we will perceive space as infinite, but from outside the bubble, what those in the bubble perceived as infinite space is actually finite time.

What the fuck this means, I have no idea.  I look forward to a simpler explanation.
V

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: December 04, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
Aussie Hebrews god (or something ?) Vangina is painted as white fella  ;D

Nothing is more stupid than some Asian TV preacher who wants to teach white
race about Jesus & Co.,

Why supposedly 'existing' god tolerates church phedofilia  ::)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #247 on: December 04, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »
It has something to do with the stranger properties of space and time based on the theory of general relativity. If the Universe is inside some theoretical bubble, space time is tremendously distorted compared to outside the bubble. Inside the bubble we will perceive space as infinite, but from outside the bubble, what those in the bubble perceived as infinite space is actually finite time.

What the fuck this means, I have no idea.  I look forward to a simpler explanation.

I hope you're not lookin to me for that explanation LOL!!

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: December 04, 2013, 12:37:19 PM »
I hope you're not lookin to me for that explanation LOL!!
No.  I doubt anyone here from Getbig could explain that in layman's terms.
V

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #249 on: December 04, 2013, 12:43:38 PM »
I just watched this short youtube clip by Alan Guth about how The Universe might be infinite.  Pretty deep stuff.

I haven't watched the video, but will do so when I have a moment.

What the fuck this means, I have no idea.  I look forward to a simpler explanation.

Interesting. This is a similar argument to the one about someone who lives on the surface of a sphere and who perceives the surface that he is on to be infinite, since he can find no edges.