Author Topic: Cardio discussion  (Read 66438 times)

flower

Re:Cardio discussion
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2004, 05:48:27 AM »
 He is wrong ::). More than one hour of aerobics per week will force an adaptation of the body to cardiovascular fitness. You can't adapt in size and cardiovascular capacity at the same time because the body's resources are very limited.

I will let him know that he has been training wrong all these years and could of went farther.   :P

suckmymuscle

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2004, 01:52:17 PM »
  Citing Danny Padilla means nothing, because he was/is a steroid taker. Furthermore, yes, he would have made even greater progress if he hadn't indulged in aerobics.

Null

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2004, 02:10:06 PM »
 He is wrong ::). More than one hour of aerobics per week will force an adaptation of the body to cardiovascular fitness. You can't adapt in size and cardiovascular capacity at the same time because the body's resources are very limited.

Can you site a scientific report? I am interested in this because I've been doing 20 min of HIIT 5x a week to cut.

BigBlack

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2004, 12:16:30 AM »

Blanket statements like these are always wrong. It's too unspecific. What do you consider cardio? Going max 3 times a week for 20 min? Going max hard once a week, with 2 cardios at 70% intensity? How about different bodytypes and recovery abilities.

I do cardio 5 days a week for 15-20 minutes. 1 session is all out, heart rate 175-190 for a good part. 1 is around 90 intensity (hrt 180 or so). The other 3 are at 60% intensity (basically coasting). These coasting cardio sessions (still in my cardio zone) are done purely on off days to circulate blood and get the immune system going. I added the 3 sessions and have seen gains in size since not losses. My cardio times have also progressed nicely. So yes, it is possible to gain cardio wise, and strength/size wise at the same time.

BB

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Re: Cardio discussion
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2004, 07:14:49 AM »
Another question:

I have not been incorporating cardio into my workouts because I do leg workouts extremely heavy (almost to puking as do many of you I'm sure), and it takes me a good five days to fully recover.  Although I would like to trim 10-15 pounds of fat off around the belly and love handles (I weigh 230 at 5"11), I am worried that starting a cardio, even a Low IT one will hinder if not stop any gains of size in my legs.  Am I too paranoid?

bigforfun

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2004, 12:45:24 PM »
i do lots of cardio for my contest prep. twice a day,in the mornings with an empty stomach,not really  ,i take bcca's,glutamine and a rtd whey protein shake before i go out to an hour walk.
and after trainig my second time.i tried at night befor bed ,but i'm not able to sleep for about 2 hours later.

melonwheels

• Getbig III
  • Self-proclaimed economist
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2004, 05:43:47 PM »
I've got a situation here: I went out for a jog a few minutes together and 3 minutes into it, I start having a hard time breathing and I can taste blood in my saliva. It was 0 C outside and I normally don't get that winded out running. What gives?

I'm ok now, but I'm still coughing.

asiasbitch

• Getbig II
  • Uh-huh...
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2004, 02:23:29 PM »
As a habit, we humans have spent years breathing shallow. If you begin taking deeper breaths into your lungs, you get more oxygen. More oxygen, more fat loss. That's why cardio works, it forces you to breath harder. Doing it between sets is suffice, however, the consistent pump your heart gets with additional cardio cannot be replaced.... Meaning? Breath deep all day, but cut back on the cardio.

natbornthrilla

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2004, 06:54:30 AM »
I do both HIIT and long endurance (30 min.) cardio.
They are both very beneficial to body fat levels AND cardiovascular fitness.

Whos body would you rather have? sprinter or marathon runner? Just by watching the Olympics this year I would have to say a sprinter for me.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2004, 07:18:33 AM »
I do both HIIT and long endurance (30 min.) cardio.
They are both very beneficial to body fat levels AND cardiovascular fitness.

Whos body would you rather have? sprinter or marathon runner? Just by watching the Olympics this year I would have to say a sprinter for me.

Definitely a sprinter.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

natbornthrilla

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2004, 04:48:41 PM »
Is 6/10 of a mile enough cardio? lol. No way!! Unless you sprint it in intervals like 10 times. Or better yet. Jog it. turn around sprint it. turn around jog it. etc until your tired. 6/10 of a mile once isn't enough to burn off a half a candy bar. Let alone the 3500 calories you need to burn a week to shed a lb. of fat.

natbornthrilla

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2004, 04:20:13 AM »
Thats cool if your trying to build up to a normal somewhat physically fit person. I didn't know your endurance was that off. Keep it up and you will get there although you may have to push yourself.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2004, 11:05:32 AM »
Ok don't laugh too hard but a brisk 30 min jog with my dog ( a 2yr old female sheltie) really helps get me lean. I find that a nice day in a decent park is awesome and is a fun and effective way to get in cardio. Sometimes I go for longer and walk a min for every 10 min of jogging, thus, I can go longer.
I also run a few local 5k's as this provides extra motivation to keep running and doing cardio.   Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

bRIZZAd

• Getbig II
  • I am... Bradman.
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2004, 12:37:49 PM »
Interesting information.  Anyone know the actual source?  Took this into mind when cutting/dieting the last couple months.  Have been hitting the bike for 20 mins, doing 3 fast 5min intervals, with short rests in between each. Roughly 3 or 4 days of the week.  Seems to have worked fairly well for me.

rob b

« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2004, 11:34:04 AM »
???

magnussamuelsson

Re: a little help to achieve my goal.
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2005, 04:43:58 AM »
hi im 18 and bout 14 stone. im eager with weight training but i dnt want to be ripped and looking like a bodybuilder. i want to have solid body mass and the physique of somone like magnus samuelsson (world strongest man). if anyone has any tips or regimes that will help me get my goal it will be greatly appreciaated.

email me on rossjchan@hotmail.com

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: a little help to achieve my goal.
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2005, 11:13:53 AM »
hi im 18 and bout 14 stone. im eager with weight training but i dnt want to be ripped and looking like a bodybuilder. i want to have solid body mass and the physique of somone like magnus samuelsson (world strongest man). if anyone has any tips or regimes that will help me get my goal it will be greatly appreciaated.

email me on rossjchan@hotmail.com

You need to eat like a horse. Extreme amounts of foods, in the range of 6000+ calories per day. And it should be good food too. Drink 4 liters of skimmed milk every day, it will be a good start. Add pasta, LOTS of vegetables. Fish, chicken and meat.

Also protein powder of course, creatine will help keep the muscle cells full.

Another thing. Do cardio at least once a week to keep your general health in check.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Dave333

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2005, 04:40:06 PM »
Interesting, but need a sorce realy. whered it come from dude?

quickerblade

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2005, 05:43:25 PM »
to lose any kind of flab or a little gut,you need cardio,there is no point in being big and smooth when you can be big and cut like a stone.i prefer stallones body in rocky 4 over THE ROCK anyday.

Tominflorida

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2005, 11:47:06 AM »
I was fat and my car broke down so I rode my bike into work every day for a two months (Ten miles total, five days a week). I didn't go high intensity and I was cut as hell by the time I got my car fixed. I keep pretty good size when ripped (215 cut at 6'1). I wouldn't say that anyone who does cardio at low intensity levels is "wasting their time".
Tom

mikep7779

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2005, 05:13:51 PM »
After reading trough the thread, I'm still a little confused

What i got out of reading it

Long cardio routines = bad to keep musile

Medium length and difficulty= better allaround

Long and slow = bad to keep mass

What do you recamend for Cardio? I used to go for a job and do about 5 sprints after....
I'm going to have to change that :D

I want to loose weight and gain mass (healty mass :D)

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2005, 09:22:09 AM »
This thread has some useful tips. However, this thread also proves that the information highway can be too much. Too much conflicting information can and, does confuse the novice trainer.
   I know, I have been there. I can remember reading from many different sources of material about bulking for strength and mass, and then cutting for a body to kill for. I spent more time reading about how to do these things then applying some of them.
  I can tell by the way some of you guys ask how much or is this the right combo of this or that?
   Just get in there and train, it really is that simple. We are all in this for the most part the same reasons, to get more muscle and to hopefully be healthy too.
   Cardio is very essentiall. When the vascular system is regulary worked the muscular systems will be that much the better for it. Increased blood flow means better supplies of oxygen and nutrients that which the working, repairing and hopefully growing muscles need.
   Do cardio every other day if possible and at least 30 min. Even if you are adding muscle, it can be done.
  Just try not to get so wrapped around the menutia of all the "how many sets and, reps- how much cardio for this result or that- is 10 min on the tred with 10 min on the bike then back on the tred enough?"
   The key is this...........It is all in how your body adapts and responds that the individual needs to tune into........if you feel like your doing to much of something and your not getting the stimulus needed. Then back off a little and see what happens. Use the mirror, it is a great tool for tracking progress. The scale is not, who cares what one weighs, after all it really is not what one weighs but how they wear it right?
    Chalk up and Train, Chalk up and Train..............keep it simple... ;D
h

perserverancepays

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2005, 09:54:47 AM »
Eric2 -

Bulleyes with your comments!

Only thing I'd add is that Tominflorida's post is EXTREMELY important to consider -- why DRIVE to a concrete building w/ wood flooring flourescent lighting and proceed to to do the aerobic-scopalooza" with a bunch of strangers of sundry shapes to music from the top 10s of 1976, 1986 and 1993, when you could bicylce several miles a beautiful woodland park and finish by chilling near a pond with your IPOD, water and a healthy snack?

Heck, I can get a great light cardio workout walking briskly 15 blocks to the grocery store and walk back with 8 full bags of groceries OR just avoiding the elevator at work  and taking the stairs!

As Eric2 suggests -  just get out of the car, elevator, escalator, AND move yo' butt!

Now, if you want are a long distance runner or sprinter and it is too cold outside -- then definitely use the treadmill to your advantage (altough it is NOT a substitute for the actual practice your sport).

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2005, 08:39:51 AM »
We spend sooo much time trying to improve the outside but what about the inside? The Heart is a muscle and needs to be exercised so I am a big proponent of Cardiovascular exercise....

808muscle

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2005, 02:06:46 PM »
I am 6'4 300lbs and am switching from football workouts to a bodybuilding routine.  I need to drop bodyfat, but dont want to lose muscle. I know I wont gain any but thast ok for now.  What do you rcommend for cardio.