Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 180368 times)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 02:43:43 PM »
Wrong.  I don't have an opinion about Carson's viability.  Too soon to tell, but I do think he should stay involved in public policy.  That's all I've ever said about him.  Like him a lot.  Definitely smarter and more accomplished than Kerry and Biden. 

I do not think Palin can win.

I do not think Perry can win.

I do not think Cain is even running.

But none of that has anything to do with you thinking Kerry and Biden are a shoe-in to be president if they are the Democrat nominee. 

John Kerry is an interesting animal. I don't like his politics and wouldn't want him to be President, but it's hard to argue that the man isn't an accomplished politician and well-versed in international diplomacy. The largely anonymous "swift-boat" charges against him were despicable and made me cringe...

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 06:02:51 AM »
Wrong.  I don't have an opinion about Carson's viability.  Too soon to tell, but I do think he should stay involved in public policy.  That's all I've ever said about him.  Like him a lot.  Definitely smarter and more accomplished than Kerry and Biden. 

I do not think Palin can win.

I do not think Perry can win.

I do not think Cain is even running.

But none of that has anything to do with you thinking Kerry and Biden are a shoe-in to be president if they are the Democrat nominee. 

You voiced support for Palin in the 2008 election.
You supported Perry when his little star was ascending before the crash and burn.
Cain?  You actually thought the man was being honest about the other women and qualified.
Carson, you already latched onto him earlier and voiced support.  Yeah.. more accomplished than Kerry and Biden in politics?  I'd like to see examples of this.   ::)

As long as the GOP runs crumbs, it doesn't matter who the Dems run.  But I am sure there is some grand plan to win back the women, moderates, independents, blacks, gays, single moms, hispanics and one eyed red heads along with whoever else the GOP alienated the last two cycles.    ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 08:09:28 AM »
see, you know what's weird....   I think Perry, Palin, Jeb, Rand, huck, and a few others are capable of winning a national election.  They have the personality and IMPACT in a room that people respect, which goes beyond party lines.

On the other hand, a paul ryan, rubio, martinez... they are just too green for it.  They don't COMMAND respect in a room like those other cats do.  Huck stands on that stage and looks you in the eye and tells you what's what.  If you disagree, he respects you, but that's just how things are.  Rubio, in that same position, will shift his feet, tilt his head, and then compromise his own position just a little to try to reel you in.  And every single person that originally supported him will take a step back.  He folds way too quickly, wayyyy to eager to compromise.  it's what politicians do in their first 3-4 years in the national spotlight... and it's why they're not ready to be prez.  Obama was like this - WAY too eager to please.  Look at mccain - he compromised all the time - had he just stayed a war hawk, he might have won.  Romney would fold like a lawn chair, depending on the room.  It makes the base not trust them.

I willl vote for a canddiate that I disagree with on 5 or 6 positions... because I accept their weaknesses in these areas, and I trust they aren't going to shift on the 5-6 things that I DO agree with them on.   At the same time, I don't want a candidate that I like 12 things about, but 5 of those keep shifting a little, depending on who is in the room.

For example, I KNOW what Rand or Huck will do, once in office.  They'll tell me, and I might like it or not like it - but I don't see Rand becoming some welfare state, big defense spender once he's in office. Rubio?  Sheeit, I don't have a clue what he will do.  Hilary, yea, we all know hilary's term would look a lot like Obama + Bubba, rolled up into one.  But paul Ryan?  Who the heck knows...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 08:21:51 AM »
As if Christie didn't have enough on his plate... Shady bidding practices (2 mil over the next bidder for the same service), and he's making TV ads with his family while people are STILL waiting for their checks to arrive. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/politics/christie-feds-investigating-sandy-ads/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Washington (CNN) -- Just days after dismissing two top advisers for their roles in the George Washington Bridge scandal, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is facing questions over the use of Superstorm Sandy relief funds.
CNN has learned that federal officials are investigating whether Christie improperly used those relief funds to produce tourism ads that starred him and his family.

The news couldn't come at a worse time for the scandal-plagued Republican, who is facing two probes into whether his staff tied up traffic near the country's busiest bridge to punish a Democratic mayor who refused to endorse his successful re-election bid.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 10:43:29 AM »
John Kerry is an interesting animal. I don't like his politics and wouldn't want him to be President, but it's hard to argue that the man isn't an accomplished politician and well-versed in international diplomacy. The largely anonymous "swift-boat" charges against him were despicable and made me cringe...

Kerry is a disgrace.  I didn't follow the swift boat allegations, but I did watch the Stolen Honor documentary.  What that man did was traitorous.  The fact he almost became president and later Sec Def is alarming.  I hope I never run into to him in person.  I put him in the same category as Ehren Watada. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 10:47:30 AM »
You voiced support for Palin in the 2008 election.
You supported Perry when his little star was ascending before the crash and burn.
Cain?  You actually thought the man was being honest about the other women and qualified.
Carson, you already latched onto him earlier and voiced support.  Yeah.. more accomplished than Kerry and Biden in politics?  I'd like to see examples of this.   ::)

As long as the GOP runs crumbs, it doesn't matter who the Dems run.  But I am sure there is some grand plan to win back the women, moderates, independents, blacks, gays, single moms, hispanics and one eyed red heads along with whoever else the GOP alienated the last two cycles.    ::)

Ok.  So at least now you're telling the truth for the most part.  :)  What's also true is you voted for Obama, twice, the second time after he spent four years running the country into the ground. 

But again, none of that has anything to do with you believing Joe Biden would be a shoe-in for president if nominated.  Or Kerry. 

Regarding Carson, I didn't say anything about his political experience or accomplishments.  I said he is much smarter and more accomplished than Biden and Kerry.  Read up on him.  He is a Great American.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »
Kerry is a disgrace.

I didn't follow the swift boat allegations, but I did watch the Stolen Honor documentary.

No, of course you didn't... but don't worry, at least one person involved in the swift boating of John Kerry was involved with the documentary you did watch.

Which documentary, by the way, was produced by the company of a lobbyist who, subsequently, ran for Congress as a Republican, and helmed by a journalist who's been forced to print retractions for allegations he published about other Vietnam related articles and who was, in connection with this documentary, sued for allegedly making libelous statements.

You really ought to try to more critically examine what you watch. You would also be wise to remember that just because it's on TV it doesn't make it true.

What that man did was traitorous.

Is that your considered legal opinion? Do you even know the legal requirements for treason? Can you tell us, specifically, how those requirements are met in the case of John Kerry?

The fact he almost became president and later Sec Def is alarming.

Nothing that you said addresses the statements that I made: namely that John Kerry is a seasoned politician and an accomplished diplomat. If you believe you can dispute either of those two statements then I look forward to reading your post.

With that said, I agree that the prospect of a Kerry Administration sounds scary. As I said, I disagree with the man's politics. But there are others - on both side of the aisle - who are much more likely to become President and who are far worse than Kerry. With that in mind, worrying about a potential stab at the nomination by Kerry seems pointless at this point.

I hope I never run into to him in person.

Really? What will you do if you do run into him in person? I bet you the answer is nothing.

I put him in the same category as Ehren Watada.

That's fucking rich. You are comparing a man who actually fought for his country with Ehren Watada? Really? You have a twisted worldview.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 12:58:18 PM »
Ok.  So at least now you're telling the truth for the most part.  :)  What's also true is you voted for Obama, twice, the second time after he spent four years running the country into the ground. 

But again, none of that has anything to do with you believing Joe Biden would be a shoe-in for president if nominated.  Or Kerry. 

Regarding Carson, I didn't say anything about his political experience or accomplishments.  I said he is much smarter and more accomplished than Biden and Kerry.  Read up on him.  He is a Great American.

I voted for Obama twice.  Once it was a vote strictly against a senile old man and the biggest idiot to ever grace a national election card.   The second time, it was a vote against a bigger liberal and his little boy wonder.

Accomplished?  This is politics, the so called "accomplishments" should be political related.   What were they again?  Otherwise, Ronnie Coleman's accomplishments are impressive as well.   ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 01:32:01 PM »

No, of course you didn't... but don't worry, at least one person involved in the swift boating of John Kerry was involved with the documentary you did watch.

Which documentary, by the way, was produced by the company of a lobbyist who, subsequently, ran for Congress as a Republican, and helmed by a journalist who's been forced to print retractions for allegations he published about other Vietnam related articles and who was, in connection with this documentary, sued for allegedly making libelous statements.

You really ought to try to more critically examine what you watch. You would also be wise to remember that just because it's on TV it doesn't make it true.

Is that your considered legal opinion? Do you even know the legal requirements for treason? Can you tell us, specifically, how those requirements are met in the case of John Kerry?

Nothing that you said addresses the statements that I made: namely that John Kerry is a seasoned politician and an accomplished diplomat. If you believe you can dispute either of those two statements then I look forward to reading your post.

With that said, I agree that the prospect of a Kerry Administration sounds scary. As I said, I disagree with the man's politics. But there are others - on both side of the aisle - who are much more likely to become President and who are far worse than Kerry. With that in mind, worrying about a potential stab at the nomination by Kerry seems pointless at this point.

Really? What will you do if you do run into him in person? I bet you the answer is nothing.

That's fucking rich. You are comparing a man who actually fought for his country with Ehren Watada? Really? You have a twisted worldview.

I make no apologies for not following the swift boat stuff.  Didn't really care.  Watching Stolen Honor, listening to Kerry's own words, and listening to former POWs talk about the impact of his words, were enough for me. 

Look up the definition of traitor.  I'm comfortable with my use of the word.  Let me know if you need any help understanding the definition. 

Kerry is a seasoned politician?  lol  Ok.  So he has served in the Senate for a long time.  Big friggin deal.  What policies has he advocated and helped implement that benefited you? 

And I don't need to disprove your claim that he's an accomplished diplomat.  That's your contention, not mine.   

What would I do if I ran into him in person?  Probably nothing.   :)  But I'd have a hard time not telling him what I think about him. 

And yes, I view him in the same light as Watada.  I make no distinction between a man who sent his subordinates off to die while he sat behind a desk, and one who threw his fellow soldiers under the bus while they were still being held as POWs. 

Now, ask me what I think about your opinion of my worldview.  I'm dying to tell you.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »
I voted for Obama twice.  Once it was a vote strictly against a senile old man and the biggest idiot to ever grace a national election card.   The second time, it was a vote against a bigger liberal and his little boy wonder.

Accomplished?  This is politics, the so called "accomplishments" should be political related.   What were they again?  Otherwise, Ronnie Coleman's accomplishments are impressive as well.   ::)

Yes, you Obama voters have to say whatever you need to to feel good about voting for someone who has run the country into the ground. 

A person doesn't need to have "political" accomplishments to be considered "accomplished" or to be involved in public policy.  That's absurd.  But it's ok if you don't want to read up on Dr. Carson.  Pretty impressive background. 

And what the heck has Joe Biden accomplished other than being able to win elections in Delaware for most of his career?  Democrats repeatedly rejected him when he ran for president.  He has been an embarrassment as vice-president. 

Wait.  I should lighten up, because you'll be voting for him if he is the Democrat nominee in 2016.   :)   

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 02:46:21 PM »
I make no apologies for not following the swift boat stuff.  Didn't really care.  Watching Stolen Honor, listening to Kerry's own words, and listening to former POWs talk about the impact of his words, were enough for me.

Typical partisan hack...

Look up the definition of traitor.  I'm comfortable with my use of the word.  Let me know if you need any help understanding the definition.

Right, because as long as you're comfortable with your use of the word, who cares what the word actually means, right?

Kerry is a seasoned politician?  lol  Ok.  So he has served in the Senate for a long time.  Big friggin deal.  What policies has he advocated and helped implement that benefited you?

Of course he is: he was a Lieutenant Governor (even if only for two years) and served as a Senator for almost 30 years - winning reelection a total of five times - and served as the Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. I would submit that a 30 year career in politics, most of it at the Senate, qualifies someone as a "seasoned politician." Having advocated for or helped implement something that has benefited me isn't a requirement for a politician to be seasoned. Now, you may not agree, but your agreement isn't required. More than that, I submit that your agreement or disagreement is meaningless because you are are basing your opinion on your personal dislike of the man and you have allowed your distaste for his policies to cloud your judgement.

Quote from: Beach Bum link=topic=513431.msg7267512#msg7just confusing 267512 date=1389648721
And I don't need to disprove your claim that he's an accomplished diplomat.  That's your contention, not mine.

I've explained why I consider him to be a seasoned politician. You're the one that disputed my reasoned explanation with the impressive "lol  Ok" line of reasoning. This may pass muster in whatever circles you frequent, but it doesn't pass muster with me. And while others may be willing to let you slide, I won't. If you are going to challenge my position - a position which I have explained and supported - I will press you to explain your position. I'm sure that people can draw their own conclusions about your inability to support the positions that you express.

What would I do if I ran into him in person?  Probably nothing.   :)
ng a man who refused to fight with someone who did fight - and even the rabid partisans behind the Swift-Boating of Kerry don't deny that he did fight - is quite pathetic.

Right... so much for your earlier bravado.

But I'd have a hard time not telling him what I think about him.

Seeing how he's not holding elected office, I'd venture to guess that your opinion of him means exactly nothing. And he would be right to tell you to refrain from venturing your unsolicited opinion, lest you find out exactly what it's worth to those who are listening.

And yes, I view him in the same light as Watada.  I make no distinction between a man who sent his subordinates off to die while he sat behind a desk, and one who threw his fellow soldiers under the bus while they were still being held as POWs.

We can debate the ethics and morality of Kerry's statements (and even the "documentary" that you claim to have watched) if you want. But the simple fact is that equating a man who joined the military but then refused to fight with someone who voluntarily joined and did fight - and even the rabid partisans behind the Swift-Boating of Kerry don't deny that he did volunteer and did fight in Vietnam - is quite pathetic.

Now, ask me what I think about your opinion of my worldview.  I'm dying to tell you.   :)

To be honest with you, I'm uninterested in the few lonely thoughts circling around inside the cranium of a blind partisan hack.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »
Typical partisan hack...

Right, because as long as you're comfortable with your use of the word, who cares what the word actually means, right?

Of course he is: he was a Lieutenant Governor (even if only for two years) and served as a Senator for almost 30 years - winning reelection a total of five times - and served as the Chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee. I would submit that a 30 year career in politics, most of it at the Senate, qualifies someone as a "seasoned politician." Having advocated for or helped implement something that has benefited me isn't a requirement for a politician to be seasoned. Now, you may not agree, but your agreement isn't required. More than that, I submit that your agreement or disagreement is meaningless because you are are basing your opinion on your personal dislike of the man and you have allowed your distaste for his policies to cloud your judgement.

I've explained why I consider him to be a seasoned politician. You're the one that disputed my reasoned explanation with the impressive "lol  Ok" line of reasoning. This may pass muster in whatever circles you frequent, but it doesn't pass muster with me. And while others may be willing to let you slide, I won't. If you are going to challenge my position - a position which I have explained and supported - I will press you to explain your position. I'm sure that people can draw their own conclusions about your inability to support the positions that you express.

ng a man who refused to fight with someone who did fight - and even the rabid partisans behind the Swift-Boating of Kerry don't deny that he did fight - is quite pathetic.

Right... so much for your earlier bravado.

Seeing how he's not holding elected office, I'd venture to guess that your opinion of him means exactly nothing. And he would be right to tell you to refrain from venturing your unsolicited opinion, lest you find out exactly what it's worth to those who are listening.

We can debate the ethics and morality of Kerry's statements (and even the "documentary" that you claim to have watched) if you want. But the simple fact is that equating a man who joined the military but then refused to fight with someone who voluntarily joined and did fight - and even the rabid partisans behind the Swift-Boating of Kerry don't deny that he did volunteer and did fight in Vietnam - is quite pathetic.

To be honest with you, I'm uninterested in the few lonely thoughts circling around inside the cranium of a blind partisan hack.

Good grief.  Protesting too much.  I'm not reading all of this.  Is there something specific you want me to address?  Let me know and I'll consider it.   

Or you can just keep furiously tapping out your book chapters.  You are really impressing yourself aren't you?  lol

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
Yes, you Obama voters have to say whatever you need to to feel good about voting for someone who has run the country into the ground. 

A person doesn't need to have "political" accomplishments to be considered "accomplished" or to be involved in public policy.  That's absurd.  But it's ok if you don't want to read up on Dr. Carson.  Pretty impressive background. 

And what the heck has Joe Biden accomplished other than being able to win elections in Delaware for most of his career?  Democrats repeatedly rejected him when he ran for president.  He has been an embarrassment as vice-president. 

Wait.  I should lighten up, because you'll be voting for him if he is the Democrat nominee in 2016.   :)   

How many elections has Carson won?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »

In that case Ronnie Coleman is a better candidate that Carson.  If you disagree, then it is because of the folly of your owns.  Nothing new there.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »
How many elections has Carson won?

None.  He has never run for public office.  You don't follow politics very closely do you? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 05:53:23 PM »
In that case Ronnie Coleman is a better candidate that Carson.  If you disagree, then it is because of the folly of your owns.  Nothing new there.

Yes, because brain surgery and bodybuilding are pretty comparable.  Some solid elementary school logic there. 

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »
Yes, because brain surgery and bodybuilding are pretty comparable.  Some solid elementary school logic there. 

Whereas brain surgery and politics are... ::)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 08:15:33 AM »
None.  He has never run for public office.  You don't follow politics very closely do you? 

No, I tend to follow common sense.  Which is why it is very clear that Kerry and Biden are more accomplished in the political than Carson.

Just as I stated. 

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 09:17:16 AM »
No, I tend to follow common sense.  Which is why it is very clear that Kerry and Biden are more accomplished in the political than Carson.

Just as I stated. 

To be fair... being an accomplished politician isn't a badge of honor these days. Typically, it's quite the opposite.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 09:47:36 AM »

Doesn't matter how comparable they are.  The non political "accomplishments" of each should be enough to overcome experience and political stock according to your thoughts.   ::)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 09:49:06 AM »

It must suck when their own logic backfires on them huh?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 09:57:12 AM »

::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 09:58:31 AM »

Just as I stated. 

Yes, and Barney Frank and Sheila Jackson-Lee are "more accomplished in the political than Carson" too.  You got that common sense thing cornered.  lol

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »
Yes they are.  Then again so is Bachmann and Palin, despite the largest collection of mass stupidity between the two of them, they are more experienced than Carson as well for politics. 

The only thing I have seen cornered so far is your deluded illogical thinking, and that is by your own words.  Took no effort on my part. 

temple_of_dis

• Getbig III
  • togtfo
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »
Cruz/Trump ticket?

Rand/Walker?

wow the awesome combos to fix the democrat nuked economy are strong this time