Author Topic: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates  (Read 180952 times)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
Re: 16 for '16: The Most Talked-About Potential GOP Presidential Candidates
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2014, 03:30:34 PM »
Ozmo is the board's neutral mod. Hugo Chavez is the left leaning mod.  Beach Bum is the board's right leaning mod.

Tell them to take this part out, lol.

Seriously, though, always wondered who wrote the stickies. Doesn't look like Ron (and I doubt he'd care to spend the time doing it, even though it is his project). Does anyone know?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »
Pick 3: Christie names top potential 2016 GOP candidates
Published March 31, 2014
FoxNews.com

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie still is weighing whether to run for president, but has some ideas about who -- other than himself -- might make a good candidate in 2016.

The Republican governor rattled off some high-profile names, when asked in an interview with Fox News' Megyn Kelly to pick his top three choices for 2016 candidates.

"I don't know if I could restrict myself to three but I'll give you the ones I think are really good," he said. "I think [former Florida Gov.] Jeb Bush would be an outstanding candidate for president. I think [Wisconsin Gov.] Scott Walker would be a good candidate for president. I think [Wisconsin Rep.] Paul Ryan would be a good candidate for president."

As for himself, Christie says he's still in the "decision-making process."

Watch Part 2 of the Christie interview on Fox News' "The Kelly File" at 9 p.m. ET on Monday.

Christie, who spoke with Fox News on Friday, discussed 2016 politics on the heels of a report that cleared him in the scandal over the controversial lane closures by the George Washington Bridge last year. The report was conducted by a law firm his office brought in to review the case -- other investigations are still ongoing.

Christie indicated the scandal would not impact his decision on whether to run.

"There's no baggage here because I didn't do anything," the Republican governor said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/03/31/pick-3-christie-names-top-republicans-to-run-in-2016/?intcmp=latestnews

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
I'm not keeping track of the five or six people (or whatever the number is) on the board who don't like Christie. 

They have these things called polls which also show people don't like Christie as much as they used to.

Jindal is smart, but he's just not handsome enough to be president.  Sorry, but you're the face of the USA for 4 or 8 years, and beyond that too.  Looks matter, and Jindal just doesn't have them.  Mitch mcconnell was definitely smart enough and experienced enough to be prez... I think he himself even joked that the lack of height and bald head just about assures he'll never run lol.

If you don't believe looks matter in a presidential race, you're nuts. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2014, 04:47:16 PM »
They have these things called polls which also show people don't like Christie as much as they used to.

Jindal is smart, but he's just not handsome enough to be president.  Sorry, but you're the face of the USA for 4 or 8 years, and beyond that too.  Looks matter, and Jindal just doesn't have them.  Mitch mcconnell was definitely smart enough and experienced enough to be prez... I think he himself even joked that the lack of height and bald head just about assures he'll never run lol.

If you don't believe looks matter in a presidential race, you're nuts. 

If you were talking about polls, then why did you say "you seem to be the only getbigger that is still rooting for Christie"?   ::)

Good thing low information voters like you will not choose the nominee.   :-\

Yes, looks matter to an extent.  Will looks keep Jindal from being president?  No.  Just like they didn't prevent him from being elected governor twice. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
If you were talking about polls, then why did you say "you seem to be the only getbigger that is still rooting for Christie"?   ::)
Good thing low information voters like you will not choose the nominee.   :-\
Yes, looks matter to an extent.  Will looks keep Jindal from being president?  No.  Just like they didn't prevent him from being elected governor twice. 

Sorry, but we aren't going to see another president that is fat, bald, or short.  Or straight creepy looking.  Or weird.

Disagree, but how many decades do you have to go back to find a prez that didn't have a full head of hair, that didn't inherit the job from an assassination or impeachment?  We're talking 5 decades?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »
Sorry, but we aren't going to see another president that is fat, bald, or short.  Or straight creepy looking.  Or weird.

Disagree, but how many decades do you have to go back to find a prez that didn't have a full head of hair, that didn't inherit the job from an assassination or impeachment?  We're talking 5 decades?

::)

We may have a fat, unattractive president in 2016 named Hillary.  

If Jindal was too ugly to be elected to high public office, he wouldn't have been elected governor twice.  

This is too stupid to even discuss.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2014, 04:57:03 PM »

We may have a fat, unattractive president in 2016 named Hillary. 

If Jindal was too ugly to be elected to high public office, he wouldn't have been elected governor twice. 

This is too stupid to enough discuss. 

hilary will be hot for 70.   I mean, she's not a hot woman, but for 70, she'll have as much botox and plastic surgery as one can guess.

And yes, unattractive people can move up, but they're not winning the White House.  I asked you how many decades.  I'm thinking it was back in the 50s with Eisenhower, being the last bald man to be elected president.  Two others have taken over due to JFK and Nixon, but as far as winning races in the TV era....

Nope.  Not gonna happen.  And I have 60 years of history to prove me correct.   Fat, bald, unattractive people do not win presidential races anymore. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2014, 05:09:09 PM »

This is too stupid to even discuss.  

Jindal is the 3rd least popular governor.  Pretty poor example, right?

All the moves, that is, except managing his state properly—at least according to Bayou voters. Jindal has a 35/53 approval/disapproval number, putting him 18 points under water, a figure only better than Illinois’ Pat Quinn and Rhode Island’s Lincoln Chafee, who are not seeking re-election.  

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/25/is-jindal-the-least-popular-guv.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
Jindal is the 3rd least popular governor.  Pretty poor example, right?

All the moves, that is, except managing his state properly—at least according to Bayou voters. Jindal has a 35/53 approval/disapproval number, putting him 18 points under water, a figure only better than Illinois’ Pat Quinn and Rhode Island’s Lincoln Chafee, who are not seeking re-election.  

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/25/is-jindal-the-least-popular-guv.html

So?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2014, 03:59:54 PM »
Rubio: I May Move to Private Sector in 2017
Tuesday, 01 Apr 2014

Sen. Marco Rubio, a potential Republican candidate for president in 2016, said on Tuesday he would make a decision about his political future around this time next year.

"For me, the choice in 2016 will be whether I run for re-election and serve in the Senate for another six years, whether the time has come to perhaps go to the private sector, or whether I want to run for another office like the presidency, because I feel passionately about some of the things our country needs to be doing," the freshman senator from Florida said at a Reuters Health Summit in Washington.

Rubio won his Senate seat in 2010 on a wave of support from the conservative tea party movement. He has since established himself as a leading voice on issues such as immigration reform.

He was considered as a possible running mate in 2012 with former White House candidate Mitt Romney, but Romney eventually settled on U.S. Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin.

Rubio helped to craft a comprehensive immigration bill that passed the Senate in June 2013, soon after Republican leaders stressed the importance of such legislation to help appeal to traditionally Democrat-leaning Hispanic voters. But the legislation has stalled in the Republican-dominated House of Representatives.

"The notion that somehow if immigration reform passed, suddenly 50 percent of Hispanics would be voting for Republicans? A, it's not the reason to do it, and B, that's not a calculation I ever made, and I don't think it's accurate. But it has political ramifications," he noted.

Rubio said he was skeptical a comprehensive bill could pass the Republican-led House, but said he hoped piecemeal bills might lead to immigration reform. His work on the Senate bill provoked a backlash from some right-wing Republicans who oppose immigration reform, hurting his stature with his party's conservative wing.

The senator has also been vocal on foreign policy, advocating a more muscular style of engagement in contrast to calls for a less interventionist approach favored by some other prominent Republicans, such as Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.

"If America continues to disengage from the world stage, the world will become more chaotic, more dangerous and less peaceful. I think recent events actually bear that out," he said on Tuesday.

Looking ahead to 2016, Rubio is not the only Floridian who may consider a presidential run. Jeb Bush — a former Florida governor and the son and brother of former presidents — has been consulting his inner circle about the possibility of running.

Strategists say that if Jeb Bush were to enter the 2016 race, it would make it harder for Rubio to raise money since the two have ties to many of the same Republican donors.

But Rubio said he had not spoken with Bush about either of their plans.

"When you decide to run for an office like that, I think people make decisions based on themselves, not on what someone else is going to do. It's not uncommon in American politics to see people who are close and have worked together in the past running for the same office, especially when it comes to the presidency," he said.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Rubio-quit-politics-election/2014/04/01/id/563090#ixzz2xg7h2AAS

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2014, 08:27:30 PM »
Rubio: I May Move to Private Sector in 2017
Tuesday, 01 Apr 2014

Sen. Marco Rubio, a potential Republican candidate for president in 2016, said on Tuesday he would make a decision about his political future around this time next year.

He's polling at 44% in florida, and floridians hate his immigration stance.  Tea party sweethearts aren't popular like they used to be...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/poll-rubio-s-standing-takes-hit-at-home-fla-voters-opposed-to-2016-bid

Rubio would be smart to go work for a law firm or thinktank.   Cause he might lose and become a tea party footnote in history.  Better to commit to leave office, and hope someone chooses him for the veep slot during his lame duck days.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2014, 05:59:49 PM »
I want to say there is no way, but you never know.

Romney's return to public life stokes speculation about potential 2016 run
By Joseph Weber
Published April 05, 2014
FoxNews.com

Former GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney has sworn off running again for elected office, but Americans have certainly heard that one before.

Speculation that Romney might run again has largely been stoked by the reunion he planned to host last month in Park City, Utah, for members of his 2012 campaign and debate teams and a string of recent public appearances.

He has appeared on TV news shows 12 times in the past six months. That’s essentially on pace with Michigan GOP Rep. Mike Rogers, who led all national politicians last year with 26 appearances over 12 months.

Romney has repeatedly said he won’t run again, saying infamously in the Netflix movie “Mitt” about a nominee who loses a White House bid: “They become a loser. It’s over.”

And a few weeks ago, he gave CBS “Face the Nation” host Bob Schieffer a flat out “no.”

Still, no potential 2016 presidential candidate has yet to say whether he or she will run, including presumptive Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton, who up until last year also said she was done with public office.

“He very well could [run again,] but it doesn’t seem likely,” Republican strategist Ron Bonjean said of Romney. “You’ll likely find that he’ll be most effective using his political and business savvy on the outside, rather than the inside.”

One possible exception, Bonjean argues, is Romney getting a Cabinet post should Republicans win the White House in 2016. “He’d be a prime candidate for Treasury secretary,” he said.

Top 2012 Romney advisers Kevin Madden, Eric Fehrnstrom and Stuart Stevens also have stayed mum, not responding earlier this week to requests for comment by FoxNews.com.

Surveys by the group pollingreport.com found Romney’s favorability among Americans has climbed steadily since his November 2012 loss to President Obama, with his February 14 rating at 47 percent.

Beyond just tallying Romney’s increasing public appearances, including one last month at the Conservative Political Action Conference, political observers point out that Republicans have no clear frontrunner, like the Democrats have with Clinton, especially since perhaps their best hope, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, has been hurt by the so-called "Bridgegate scandal."

Washington Republicans have turned to former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, but his measured response has only added to the speculation about Romney.

In addition, observers say Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, is certainly talking like somebody mounting a comeback fight.

"There's no question [about] the president's naiveté with regards to Russia," he also told CBS. “And his faulty judgment about Russia's intentions and objectives has led to a number of foreign policy challenges that we face.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/05/romney-returns-to-public-life-stoke-speculation-about-potential-2016-run/

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2014, 06:09:03 PM »
Nope.  Not gonna happen.  And I have 60 years of history to prove me correct.   Fat, bald, unattractive people do not win presidential races anymore. 

Making sweeping inferences from a sample size of 13* of peace

*13 presidential elections since 1960 (excluding that year's)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2014, 06:24:05 PM »
Making sweeping inferences from a sample size of 13* of peace

*13 presidential elections since 1960 (excluding that year's)

I think it's fair to say that in the "TV age", the bald, fat, or creepy dudes just don't win elections anymore. 

Back when it was about radio and local stuff, yeah, it could happen.  These days, people see Mark Wahlberg with his Pro-ceeding hairline and think a president should be the same way.  Who knows how many of those candidates have had hairplugs done.   Romney knew it - He's a nw 2.5, bordering nw3 even with concealers.  Sides longer than the top in most recent pics - he had a stylist to make it look good cause dudes with bald spots don't become prez.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: April 09, 2014, 10:37:54 AM »
Gov. Scott Walker wants to finish college degree
By Jason Stein of the Journal Sentinel April 7, 2014

Madison -- More than two decades after leaving Marquette University without finishing up his degree, Gov. Scott Walker wants to earn his diploma.

A spokeswoman said the governor wants to finish his college degree through the University of Wisconsin-System's innovative online course offerings. For now, however, Walker is still waiting for the right degree program to be added to the lineup of the still fledgling program.

"Governor Walker would like to finish his degree through the UW FlexOption once they expand the degree offerings," Laurel Patrick said.

The governor left Marquette University his senior year to take a job with the American Red Cross and hasn't finished his degree. He has often said he would like to wrap up the task.

Patrick said she was checking on what degree the governor is hoping to pursue and what his timeline is for starting. The next year could be a tough time to start -- Walker is running for re-election against Democratic opponent Mary Burke.

Walker has been one of the strongest advocates for the UW System program, which is a self-paced, competency-based model.

The new path aims to allow adults to start classes anytime, work at their own pace and earn credit for what they already have learned in school or on the job once they prove college-level competencies.

Announcing the program in 2012, Walker said that it could help a range of students like him, especially adults already in jobs, adults caring for children and soldiers deployed overseas.

"I kept thinking I'd go back, got married, had one kid, had another kid, next thing you know . . . you're worrying more about paying for your kids' college education than you are for your own," Walker said.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/254266501.html#ixzz2yPapNQrb

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: April 17, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »
Paul, Rubio Lead Potential Republican 2016 Contenders in Spending
Wednesday, 16 Apr 2014

Groups supporting Senators Rand Paul and Marco Rubio lead the pack of potential Republican presidential candidates in spending money and investing in possible campaigns this year, more than 20 months before the first votes are cast in 2016.
No politician has yet declared his or her candidacy, but first-quarter fundraising numbers submitted to the Federal Election Commission and released this week show backers of Rubio and Paul spent several hundred thousand dollars to help both senators in the first three months of 2014.

Kentucky Senator Paul's RANDPAC group spent over $580,000 in the first quarter, much of it on fundraising, consulting, and travel expenses as the first-term lawmaker crisscrossed the country spreading his libertarian message and courting groups that do not traditionally support Republicans.

Paul has built a national infrastructure largely on the back of his father Ron Paul's network from previous presidential campaigns.

Rubio, a Florida senator who has fallen out of favor with many in the party's right wing over his support of immigration reform, has been one of the most active contenders since 2013.

The freshman's Reclaim America PAC raised over $530,000 in the first three months of 2014, and spent over $375,000. Much of that money went to consultants and data analytics teams that could help Rubio if he chose to run for president.

Other possible candidates have been meeting with donors and operatives to set up potential campaigns, but have not been as publicly active as Rubio and Paul. Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush has no similar political committees, for example, while groups associated with Texas Senator Ted Cruz have not raised or spent as much.

Embattled New Jersey Governor Chris Christie demonstrated his own fundraising acumen by leading his Republican Governors Association to a $23.5 million first quarter but he has no federal groups raising money for a possible presidential run.

On the Democratic side, a network of independent organizations has been laying the groundwork for a campaign by former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. The first quarter saw increased activity by Priorities USA Action, the primary fundraiser for President Barack Obama in 2012, which now stands behind Clinton.

The group, which is led by Obama's 2012 campaign manager Jim Messina and is expected to be the Clinton campaign's main money vehicle, spent over $535,000 in the first quarter despite not actively fundraising.

It had earlier come under fire for not doing enough to support Democrats in 2014 elections, and it sent $250,000 to the primary PAC supporting congressional Democrats - House Majority PAC - in February.

Last week Ready For Hillary, a super-PAC urging the former first lady and senator to run by building up grass-roots support, announced it had raised more than $1.7 million in the first quarter. That brought its fundraising haul to over $5.75 million since launching in 2013 - despite a self-imposed cap of $25,000 per donation.

Clinton holds a considerable lead over other potential Democratic presidential contenders in preliminary polling. (Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Rand-Paul-Marco-Rubio-2016/2014/04/16/id/566081#ixzz2zAVXITFP

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2014, 01:19:01 PM »
Didn't realize he is 90. 

Dole on Paul, Cruz, Rubio: They're not ready
Posted by
CNN Political Unit

(CNN) - Former Republican Sen. Bob Dole argued that some of the men among the younger generation of potential GOP presidential candidates aren't quite ready to take on the White House.

"A number of the younger members, first-termers like Rand Paul, (Marco) Rubio and that extreme-right-wing guy – Ted Cruz? All running for president now," he said in an interview this week with The Wichita Eagle. "I don't think they've got enough experience yet."

The former Republican senator from Kansas and 1996 GOP presidential nominee - who also served as a U.S. congressman as well as the GOP vice presidential nominee in 1976 - is returning to his roots this week for a nine-county tour around Kansas.

At meet-and-greet events and public discussions, the 90-year-old is sharing stories and taking questions from his former constituents.

Cruz made headlines last month for publicly criticizing Dole, as well as other failed GOP presidential nominees like John McCain and Mitt Romney. The Texas Republican said they were "good" and "decent men" but he suggested that they lacked principle and stood "for nothing," which was why they lost.

Dole told CNN at the time that "Senator Cruz needs to check the record before passing judgment."

As the former politician and World War II veteran travels around Kansas, he's emphasizing a message of bipartisanship.

"I always tried when I was the (Senate Republican Leader) leader for 10 years to of course work with my Republicans but also reach out to my friends on the other side. I found out you get more done if you sometimes have to compromise," he said Monday at an event in Olathe, Kansas.

In the interview with The Wichita Eagle, Dole joked that his "main concern about (the 2016) elections is that, well, I just hope I'm still around to vote then."

"If not ... I plan to vote absentee," he added, saying he has "no idea how they get the ballots back from up there…But I will check it out. And send it back special delivery."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/04/22/dole-on-paul-cruz-rubio-theyre-not-ready/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: April 22, 2014, 08:31:12 PM »
Props to Bob Dole... 90 years old and still making his voice heard.

He's right when he said Flipflopping Mccain and Romney lacked principle and stood "for nothing," which was why they lost.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2014, 11:36:25 AM »
Carville: Bush, Perry Are the Republicans to Watch for 2016
Tuesday, 29 Apr 2014
By Cathy Burke

Put your money on former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and Texas Gov. Rick Perry in the race among Republican contenders for a 2016 White House bid, Democratic strategist James Carville says.

Handicapping the Republican field like he would the Kentucky Derby – confessing "it might not be very fashionable . . . to be a horse degenerate, but that's what I am" – Carville's column for The Hill on Tuesday says the GOP presidential "horse race" comes down to a three-candidate field: Bush, Perry and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

"I think if I went to the window right now, I would bet the exacta on Bush, Perry," the Fox News contributor writes.

Breaking down his railbird reasoning, Carville notes, "Best practice says you go throughout the field and throw out the horses that cannot win."

"A candidate that can win the Republican nomination, at least since 1944 — with the possible, and I mean possible, exception of 1964, with the nomination of Barry Goldwater . . . was the one who had the capacity to raise the most money and who had the ability to draw across wide sections of the Republican Party to grab support," he says.

Given that Republicans never nominate against the mainstream of their party "again, with the possible exception of 1964 . . . I think we can throw out Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Florida Sen. Marco Rubio."

That leaves Bush, Perry and Walker galloping to the lead, though the Louisiana native quips, "I am torn as to where to put my own governor, Bobby Jindal."

"I tend to throw him out of the running because most nominees for president have had national stature at this point . . . but I might include him in a small play to hit a jackpot," he wrote.

Carville narrows the field a little further, noting that Walker "can mold himself more in the mainstream, but I am completely uncertain as to his ability to run on a track in a race of this magnitude and duration."

Perry's advantage, Carville writes, is that "he has been around the track once and he knows what the track is like. The only problem for him is that it is the same track he essentially finished last on."

But, Carville concludes, Perry "can raise a bucket load of money without even trying, and Gov. Perry, unlike Walker, has got a compelling economic story to tell. And I think he's more electable."

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/James-Carville-Jeb-Bush-Rick-Perry-2016/2014/04/29/id/568530#ixzz30OcLgbJC

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
GOP moves to limit 2016 presidential debates after complaints of media bias, high number in 2012 season
Published May 10, 2014
FoxNews.com

Washington Republicans have moved to exert more control over their presidential primary debates, limiting the types and number of events in which 2016 candidates can participate, in an effort to get a firmer grip on the nominating process.

The Republican National Committee voted overwhelming Friday in favor of the change at their spring meeting in Memphis.

The 152-to-7 decision essentially allows the group to decide which events will be “sanctioned debates” -- based on their “timing, frequency and format, the media outlet and the best interests of the Republican Party.”

And any candidate who participates in a non-sanctioned debate will not be eligible to participate in ensuing sanctioned ones.

The move follows several criticisms about the 2012 debate season including that events were controlled by the mainstream media and their moderators and that the large number of events gave insurgent candidates free TV time.

Critics say the 20 debates crowded the process and pushed establishment candidate Mitt Romney too far to the right, which contributed to his loss to President Obama.

“The liberal media doesn’t deserve to be in the driver’s seat,” said RNC Chairman Reince Priebus, according to The New York Times.

Party leaders also reportedly want to put a tighter leash on the primary season by scheduling the first four contests -- in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Nevada -- for February so that other states can start voting in March. And they are trying to move up the national convention from late summer to June.

Kentucky GOP Sen. Rand Paul, already a likely top contender and who is expected to get the non-establishment Tea Party vote, told The Times: “I think maybe the last time we had too many. And so I think some of the rule changes, as long as they’re toward things that will enhance the party as a whole, are not a bad idea.”

CNN’s Candy Crowley is among the moderators who upset Republicans during the 2012 debates, in part because she interrupted Romney in his second debate with Obama, saying he made an incorrect statement about the fatal terror attacks on an American outpost in Benghazi.

The RNC last year voted in favor of boycotting presidential primary debates planned by CNN and NBC if they proceeded with lengthy television features on Hillary Clinton, widely expected to be a 2016 Democratic candidate.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/10/gop-moves-to-limited-2016-presidential-debates/?intcmp=HPBucket

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Carville: Bush, Perry Are the Republicans to Watch for 2016

I still think Perry will win it.  I know I"m the only getbigger saying it.  But I stand by it.  He's had his "oops" moment and he's still standing.  Compared with bridgegate, he's golden.  He can raise cash, he's a Texan with great hair. 

Hilary would probably wreck him, but he's conservative *enough* to win it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
For 2016, Rice says Jeb Bush would be 'fantastic'
Posted by
CNN's Ashley Killough

(CNN) – Condoleezza Rice is hopeful that Jeb Bush runs for president in 2016 but said it's unlikely she'd be seen on a ballot with the potential candidate.

In an interview with Ozy Media, the former secretary of state also said more questions need to be answered about the deadly 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, though she argued the issue could be approached in a less partisan way.

'Jeb would be fantastic'

Rice has a long history with the Bush family. In addition to serving as national security adviser and the nation's top diplomat in the George W. Bush administration, she also worked for former President George H.W. Bush.

Rice said she thinks Jeb Bush, a former Florida governor, would be a "fantastic" candidate.

"Jeb hasn't said whether he will run. He's a friend. I hope he does, frankly," she told Ozy's Carlos Watson in the interview published Thursday.

In the constant ebb and flow of 2016 speculation, a Bush-Rice ticket has been floated as a potential GOP pairing. She was also mentioned in 2012 as potential vice presidential candidate.

But Rice, who runs the Hoover Institution at Stanford University in California and serves on a number of corporate boards, once again shot down the idea of running for office.

"It's just not in my DNA," she said.

But she acknowledged "there are several others who are considering (running for president) who would be outstanding."

Asked about her thoughts on Sen. Ted Cruz, Rice gave a diplomatic answer, saying she doesn't always agree with the freshman senator from Texas but recognized that not every Republican has to be "backed by the establishment."

"Somebody who goes through the process and gets elected, more power to them," she said, adding that Cruz's wife used to work for her in the National Security Council.

As for Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, Rice also described him as "fantastic" and highlighted his background as a child of Cuban immigrants.

Rice stressed that she'll be looking for a candidate who favors immigration reform.

"What I love about the way that Marco Rubio talks about our country–or Jeb Bush for that matter–is that sense that 'We the people' is an inclusive concept," she said. "It's not 'those people out there' and 'we the people in here'."

Would she ever consider crossing the aisle backing another fellow secretary of state, Hillary Clinton?

"I have a lot of respect for her. It's a small club–the secretaries of state, or the 'living secretaries of state' as we call ourselves. A small, small club," she said. "I'm a committed Republican. I'll continue to fight for that party, and I'll fight for that nominee."

Benghazi shouldn't be 'political theater'

Clinton is seeing renewed criticism over the Benghazi attack as House Republicans form a select committee to investigate the assault that left four Americans dead, including the U.S. ambassador to Libya. Clinton was overseeing the state department at the time and has testified before Congress over security concerns leading up to the attack.

Rice agreed "there are still unanswered questions about Benghazi."

"They could be easily answered, but I think they need to be answered," she added. Rice said she's not interested in the debate over the now infamous talking points given to then-U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice.

More important, Condoleezza Rice argued, are questions about what happened during the attack and what the security situation was on the ground prior to the assault.

The issue has been repeatedly used as a major line of attack by Republicans against the Obama administration, with the focus on Clinton as she considers a presidential bid.

But Rice said the debate should be toned down.

"This can be handled...in a way that is open and isn't political theater," she said. "Done in the right way, with the right cooperation, we can put this to rest."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/05/15/for-2016-rice-says-jeb-bush-would-be-fantastic/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Paul Ryan signals openness to 2016 run
By MAGGIE HABERMAN and JAKE SHERMAN
5/21/14

Rep. Paul Ryan told a group of business elites and donors at a New York City fundraiser that he’s asking friends and supporters “to keep their powder dry” as he mulls a 2016 presidential bid, two attendees told POLITICO.

It was among the most explicit statements Ryan has made to a crowd about his process with regards to a presidential run. And it came at a time when political insiders have questioned how eager he is to run.

Ryan made the remark last week during a breakfast fundraiser for his re-election campaign for his House seat. The event was held at the Metropolitan Club in Manhattan, with about 40 attendees, including hedge fund executive Dan Loeb; GOP donors Wilbur Ross and Wayne Berman; and New York Jets owner Woody Johnson.

Ryan was asked about 2016, two attendees said, and responded that he hadn’t really begun discussing it with his wife. But he said that he’s asking “friends and supporters to keep their powder dry,” recalled one attendee.

A second attendee confirmed the account.

Approached by POLITICO just before votes on the House floor on Wednesday, Ryan declined to discuss the fundraiser.

“I’m not going to get into any of this,” he said.

Asked if the account was true, he replied, “It’s a private meeting” and added, “I said, ‘I’m keeping my options open.’”

Ryan has been saying for some time that he is considering a run in 2016. But to ask donors to refrain from committing to other candidates is a far more serious indication he might run.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/05/paul-ryan-signals-openness-to-2016-run-106962.html?hp=l10

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2014, 09:25:23 AM »
Perry Hints at 2016 Run in Texas Farewell Speech
Thursday, 05 Jun 2014

Rick Perry repeatedly bashed Washington and said Texas was a model for the nation in his last speech as governor to a Republican state convention Thursday, sounding more like a presidential candidate than someone looking back on his legacy.

The longest-serving governor in Texas history, who will leave office in January, said his state's booming economy had created more than a third of the nation's new private sector jobs since 2001, thanks to keeping taxes and regulations low. He also bragged about dramatically improving high school graduation rates, especially among black and Hispanic students.

"Over the years, I've obtained a few more wrinkles, got some more gray hair, got new eye-ware and a seasoned perspective," said Perry, who last year began wearing stylish, dark-framed eyeglasses and whose hair has lately shown more gray — once unthinkable for a man dubbed "Governor Good Hair."

"Without equivocation or qualification, there is no place like Texas," he said.

But the bulk of his speech focused on national issues and future elections — little surprise considering Perry hasn't ruled out a second White House run in 2016.

He was introduced at the Fort Worth Convention Center by his wife Anita, who referred to Perry's unsuccessful 2012 presidential campaign and added "we've both got some tread left on our tires."

The governor drew a standing ovation when he said Texas didn't succumb to "federal blackmail" by taking increased federal funding to expand the Medicaid program under President Barack Obama's signature health care law. He got another when he implored "getting back" to the Constitution's 10th Amendment, which protects states' rights.

"The formula of higher taxes, more spending and massive debt has weighed down our economy, and it puts our nation on course to the failed polices of Detroit and Greece," Perry said, referring to the bankrupt city and economically-depressed European country. "There is a better way and it's called the Texas way."

The speech was well-received Thursday, in contrast to the convention two years ago, when Perry praised Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst and was booed soundly by supporters of Dewhurst's then-opponent for the Republican Senate nomination, tea party firebrand Ted Cruz.

Perry's appearance this year marked the unofficial start of his farewell to Texas politics. But gains by fiercely conservative candidates during the last two election cycles mean parts of the Texas GOP may now be too conservative even for him. Cruz, though he only joined the Senate last January, is a superstar to the conservative grassroots not only in his home state but nationally — and casts a larger political shadow than the governor.

As a case in point, tea party activists and other conservatives have pushed at the convention for a harder line on immigration.

Perry has long championed a 2001 Texas law offering in-state university tuition to children of illegal immigrants. And, in 2012, state Republican convention delegates approved a platform endorsing the "Texas Solution," a proposed guest worker program making it easier for immigrants in the U.S. illegally to get good jobs.

A draft of the 2014 Texas Republican Party platform that will be put to a final vote later this week removes specific calls for a guest worker program. But it also endorses a visa program that would have largely the same effect.

Not everyone likes that idea. William Wynne said the committee writing the platform needed to be more conservative. He was among dozens of delegates wearing a sticker urging an end to the Texas Solution.

"It's basically nothing less than amnesty," said Wynn. "Democrats are watching Texas very closely this week. They love the Texas Solution."

The final platform may also alter previous declarations that "homosexuality tears at the fabric of society." Instead, it could endorse therapy for those "seeking escape from the homosexual lifestyle."

Perry largely steered clear of hot-button conservative issues such as abortion, family values and immigration in his speech — but made it clear he's not ready to cede his leadership of Texas conservatives to Cruz.

"As the grassroots, you have changed Texas for the better," he said. "Now it's time to change America so it lives up to its promise."

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Republican-Convention-Perry-Texas/2014/06/05/id/575457#ixzz33sQoYAbZ