Author Topic: Do you train around lower back pain  (Read 17303 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Do you train around lower back pain
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:07:08 AM »
Or do you train it more and try to get it stronger? 

Just wondering, I have intermittent low back pain and for the most part take it easy but wonder if I am doing the wrong thing?

Kurt

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Do you train around lower back pain
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 06:02:21 AM »
I am looking for an answer as well. I have been working in two shops for a total of 14 hours per day, that entails standing on concrete for the entire time.

I believe all that standing on concrete is the culprit, so I will try to sit when I can, as well as find some new inserts for my steel-toed work boots. But for now, my lower back feels tight and bruised. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »

Just wondering, I have intermittent low back pain and for the most part take it easy but wonder if I am doing the wrong thing?

If it's chronic back pain, and my back is not in a spasm, then yes, I workout around the pain.  If I stopped working out every time my low back nagged me, I'd never work out.

I recommend you do these every single morning after you get up from bed...well, after you pee.  It only takes a couple of minutes, but it works wonders for chronic low back pain.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
I am looking for an answer as well. I have been working in two shops for a total of 14 hours per day, that entails standing on concrete for the entire time.

I believe all that standing on concrete is the culprit, so I will try to sit when I can, as well as find some new inserts for my steel-toed work boots. But for now, my lower back feels tight and bruised. 

Do you stand in one spot most of the time?  If so, then I recommend an anti fatigue mat like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Joe-Anti-Fatigue-Beveled-3-Feet/dp/B000EFK9KM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411502107&sr=8-1&keywords=anti+fatigue+mat

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 03:28:06 PM »
If it's chronic back pain, and my back is not in a spasm, then yes, I workout around the pain.  If I stopped working out every time my low back nagged me, I'd never work out.

I recommend you do these every single morning after you get up from bed...well, after you pee.  It only takes a couple of minutes, but it works wonders for chronic low back pain.

I do the bottom stretch between sets. I also do this thing that looks like a cat hunched back multiple times also between sets. I seen it used in yoga. It relieves the compression feeling in my back. I do it sitting down on the safety bar of the the rack while leaning over to not look like a weirdo.

ialso stretch my hip flexors and hammies real good before squatting.

My back is fucked...cant deadlift or back squat. But I can do front squats, light dumbell Romanians and walking lunges.

So yes, I work around injuries. I simply have to if I want to work out.

A

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »

Will try, thanks

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »

There are exercises and stretching movements designed to strengthen you "core" which helps with back pain. Unless you already know what is causing your back pain and have learned how to relieve it particularly from a professional physical therapist, this should be your first step. Ignoring or working through back pain without knowing what you are doing could cause your back some serious damage. An ounce of prevention.....

I have degenerative disk disease otherwise known as arthritis and old age compression of the spine. I am presently almost 3" shorter than I was at 18 years of age. Thanks to learning to do various exercises and stretching movements from North Lake Physical Therapy folks. I don't have back pain any longer. I highly recommend you see a physical therapist. Most medical insurance policies will pay for physical therapy if warranted.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 03:13:42 AM »
Forgot to mention leg raises in the pull up and dip station.
A

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 11:21:07 AM »

those are some great movement, the first, I do everyday, huge part of what I HAVE to do to not feel my sciatic issues.

But... Stretching when you get out of bed is not good. I know, I know, lions do it so it must make sense huh? Not for us humans... Your core temp is low when you get out of bed, if really injured, your movement is kinda restricted and all. Why not wait until you have showered or have been up a for a bit? After a shower, if you do other kinds of stretches, you will notice you get more range.
?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
those are some great movement, the first, I do everyday, huge part of what I HAVE to do to not feel my sciatic issues.

But... Stretching when you get out of bed is not good. I know, I know, lions do it so it must make sense huh? Not for us humans... Your core temp is low when you get out of bed, if really injured, your movement is kinda restricted and all. Why not wait until you have showered or have been up a for a bit? After a shower, if you do other kinds of stretches, you will notice you get more range.

I don't do these exercises first thing in the morning, every single morning, to "stretch" my back.  I do them to "adjust" my back before I do any simple movement that would end up in a two to three day muscle spasm.  While I do these exercises every morning, I can feel and often hear my back "pop" back into place.  I used to get muscle spasms that would put me on the floor for days, until I started doing these every morning.

When your back is out of alignment, and mine is almost every morning because of Scoliosis, simply sneezing or lifting the toilet seat can give you a paralyzing muscle spasm that could last for days.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
If it's really lower back 'pain', rather than discomfort/tenseness, I would take a rest and do some light stretching, if the pain doesn't get less then seek professional help.

If it's just tense/soar/tight/whatever you want to call it, there are a few things I do to eleviate pressure from my lowerback:

1. seated goodmornings: Focus on relaxing your lowerback on the bottom-part, this is not so much about building strength but rather to stretch your entire back out by allowing it to round a little. Obviously shouldn't use too much weight (I usually use an emptybar or maximum 40-50kg).

2. Hanging upside down with the aid of 'gravity boots': great way to decompress your spine, especially when you 'wind up' by twisting your body.
Just hanging upside-down usually already makes a ton of difference.

3. Foamroll and/or 2 lacroseballs in a sock ('peanut'). to release soft tissue:
Real simple, roll around a little, promoting bloodflow, or finding 'blockades' and just lay on that specific spot for a moment until it 'pops'. Basic idea is that by stimulating the soarspots or imperfect spots of the muscle, you allow it to stretch out and evenout, releasing tension. (But I'm confident most of you already use/know about the use of foamrolls/lacrose balls).

4. Walk it off.
Works for me sometimes.

It might also be worthwhile to check on the tightness of your glutes/hamstrings and upperback, as usually the lowerback is affected by those, and is not necessarily lowerback specific. As with everything, the pain should either be relieved or become less over time, or seek professional help.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 03:17:49 AM »
When i was younger i use to have lower back pain when i stopped doing hyperextensions regulary.