Author Topic: Anyone use weightlifting shoes for squatting?  (Read 5084 times)

Wolfox

• Getbig V
Anyone use weightlifting shoes for squatting?
« on: February 26, 2014, 04:07:53 PM »
I do a2g highbar and front squats and find when Im getting out of the bottom sometimes there's a rocking movement with my feet. Part of it is my form/flexibility I think but I also think wl shoes would help in creating a solid base to minimize the movement.

Anyways, any of you guys use wl shoes? If so what brand? I'm looking at the Rogue Dowins which are basically a copy of Pendlay's but with suede. I'm looking for something that wont break the bank.
A

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Anyone use weightlifting shoes for squatting?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 05:41:15 PM »
Never used wl shoes, I use wrestling shoes for deads and squats.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 05:43:15 PM »
RDC squat shoes.
sept 10th APF

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »
The 1/2 to 1 inch plus (depends on the lifter's size and needs) raised heel helps with  better balance and a more solid footing position, which in return can give more confidence to a lot of guy's.  Also less stress on the lower back. Works very well for front squats and helps sets the bar better on the front delts & upper chest, because of  the encouragement of straighter posture (for most guys) with that weight shift. One of the reasons Olympic style lifers favor raised heels. Really helps front cleans and squat cleans greatly (these two movement are some of the fastest in lifting and the bar must be caught and set quickly....timing and balance of prime importance).

If you really think you need special shoes that try on a couple pair and experience the feel you get. Might suggest not to buy them by mail, sight unseen. Some guy's like a higher shoe (almost like a boot...old school but still out there), and others a low riding shoe. Depends on you...the bottom line.

Lot of guys will just use a 2X4 or a pair of 45 plates under the heels when squatting basic back or front style squats. No special raised heels shoe needed. I have squatted barefooted, get a better feel and grip with the toes and feet. Like on a surf board, more control for me anyway.  I have also squatted and lifted in Red Wings and army airborne (raised heels a bit) boots with good results.  Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
Years back a old school BB'er told me that he had been doing the standard BB curl, with heels on a 2X4, and it seemed to help with the focus on the biceps.  Saying that he did feel better balance and even increased the weight he was using. He had also done overhead press and upright rows, with similar better results, the the 2X4.. Which only proves that BB'ers are among the most inventive, and willing to just about try anything, group around. This guy had pretty big guns at the time.

I tried the 2X4 thing with some BB curls, and it did seem to shift the weight, give better balance, with more focus on the biceps. Than I did upright rows. and noticed quite a difference than when doing them flatfooted. Don't know if this would work for everybody (nothing really does) giving different body types/bone length/muscle inserts, etc....but for experimental reasons, might be worth a shot.

Only time I use a 2X4 is when doing BB Hacks. With regular and front squats, raised heels don't allow the full potential of the ankle/calf/foot flexibility. that the flat footed version does. If into sports, the ankle/calf/foot flexibility is of prime importance. If into BB'ing, raised heels will target the lower & upper quads very well.  Good Luck.
F

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:59:07 PM »
No, no need unless you're an actual oly lifter. Get some new balance minimus v3

If you don't have hip ankle flexibility to go atg then do mobility work, shoes with heels will just hide the underlying issue.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »
If concerned about ankle/foot flexibility than try doing calf stretches,  or regular calf raises, full ROM. Suggest not to do either stretches with a shoe on. Want a better toe grip, and full range, so might checkout wrestler or martial arts slipper style footwear. Barefooted, would probably be the better option...up to you.

As Mawse said, a good quality shoes should fit most of your training needs, doing squats or anything else.  Want to invest some extra bucks, than a shoe with raised (1/2, 3/4, 1" heels...whatever) may work for you. The length of the foot may influence what your wear during serious training.

Good Luck.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »
If concerned about ankle/foot flexibility than try doing calf stretches,  or regular calf raises, full ROM. Suggest not to do either stretches with a shoe on. Want a better toe grip, and full range, so might checkout wrestler or martial arts slipper style footwear. Barefooted, would probably be the better option...up to you.

As Mawse said, a good quality shoes should fit most of your training needs, doing squats or anything else.  Want to invest some extra bucks, than a shoe with raised (1/2, 3/4, 1" heels...whatever) may work for you. The length of the foot may influence what your wear during serious training.

Good Luck.

We used to dead-lift in just socks.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 08:43:37 AM »
Not to judge, but aren't gym clothes an option, than wearing 'just socks' when working out?

F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »
Not to judge, but aren't gym clothes an option, than wearing 'just socks' when working out?

HA-HA-HA-HA!!!
It took me a few seconds to get that, you b*stard! ;D

Hey, I had a long day at work...like always. >:(

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 01:07:06 AM »

If you don't have hip ankle flexibility to go atg then do mobility work, shoes with heels will just hide the underlying issue.

agreed. http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Inflexibilities.html#anchor13355148

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 01:29:53 AM »
Better to work on your flexibility than to use a board or plates as a heel raise. I agree with Chaos Wrestling shoes or bare feet. Raising heels is not a Long term solution. I only got sore knees with it. I never see anyone squating with raised heels in the Gym. True we are not a powerlifting Hardcore Gym but still. This is a good fair assesment of squats....
http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Squats.html

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 12:13:08 PM »

What he said is accurate. Those new balance will work great for general bodybuilding. You want a shoe with minimum flex from padding. Some even use shot put sneakers.

In powerlifting using a low bar wide stance squat to what really is a half squat an Olympic lifting shoe would work against you and your leverage. A heel helps keep you upright for squats cleans and snatches. In Power lifting a flat shoe works best for squats and deadlifts.

Here's really great information on the history of Olympic lifting shoes. http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sportivny/library/farticles015.html

I use these Adidas Iron Work III for Olympic squats, lunges and Olympic lifts.
They run really narrow but it suits my foot. They have zero padding and all your energy gets transferred to the ground.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 02:47:27 PM »
On leg day I wear my old school chucks. Very flat and feels more stable.

JAM

• Getbig III
  • いちごいちえ
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 12:06:50 PM »
I use high tops just for some slight ankle support.  Figure if it helps for basketball then it can't hurt.  LOL   ;D

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 03:47:29 AM »
Recently got a pair of Adidas Powerlifts for a very reasonable price. They have a slightly lower heel than a typical OLY weightlifting type shoe, which I have also used in the past (Adidas Power Perfect - great shoe, makes a world of difference when high bar squatting).

I would recommend the Powerlifts if you are not doing strict Olympic lifting. I switched to using them as I do low bar back squats currently and a very high heel is more awkward. The Adidas Powerlift's heel is also fine for deadlifts, push presses etc and ATG squats and Olympic lifts if you are just performing them recreationally. The only thing about them is that the heel is supposedly compressible under very heavy loads (unlike the Adidas Power Perfects or Adipowers). But I personally have had no problem loading them up to 595 pounds for reps (405 squat with 190 pound bodyweight). Now if you were to do max pulls or OLY lifts it might be another story...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »
I use the Adidas Adipower...locked to the floor, never an issue. Spend the money if your planning on competing.
L