Author Topic: Mike Mentzer - Was he really 225 lbs in 1980?  (Read 8637 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
Re: Mike Mentzer
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2014, 07:34:23 AM »
Without drugs they all look like crap....
A guy who can build muscle without drugs is the person who truly knows how to train. You guys are all delusional.
the guy who THINKS he can build muscle without drugs is the DELUSIONAL one

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2014, 08:10:37 AM »
Two things

Dorian built his size with lots and lots of steroids.  LOL @ people who think the way he trained had anything to do with it. Its nust what he preferred.

I never saw the big deal with Mentzer. Weird body

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2014, 08:17:09 AM »
Two things

Dorian built his size with lots and lots of steroids.  LOL @ people who think the way he trained had anything to do with it. Its nust what he preferred.

MENTERwas thickly built,avg height /structure decent but packed a lot of muscle,most parts had good shape,pecs were flat but square but from side and tensed small looked better relaxed.calves/forarms were genetically strong looking.arnold clearly had him beat on more things needed bbing criteria wise 'showtime'.I know ur not zane fan as well but again he had his 70's look mastered I liked both guys 2 diferent builds.arnold was def one of my fav's as well.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2014, 08:43:54 AM »
MENTERwas thickly built,avg height /structure decent but packed a lot of muscle,most parts had good shape,pecs were flat but square but from side and tensed small looked better relaxed.calves/forarms were genetically strong looking.arnold clearly had him beat on more things needed bbing criteria wise 'showtime'.I know ur not zane fan as well but again he had his 70's look mastered I liked both guys 2 diferent builds.arnold was def one of my fav's as well.

I think that whole era Sucked. Zane and Dickerson....Wasnt till Haney came along that there was a worthy champ again

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 09:05:17 AM »
No comparison imo.

Arnold owns him in every way - 'density' included. (oh brother)

i agree 100#, arnold at his best destroyed mike at his best period
R

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2014, 09:06:30 AM »
I think that whole era Sucked. Zane and Dickerson....Wasnt till Haney came along that there was a worthy champ again
sorta,,there are a lot of bbers from that era who u didn't know cause they were early weider mag guys likearnold/zame/robinson,and u couldn't make living on bbing so u never saw them.funk51 has cool thread on other board with guys from 60/70's early 80's some wicked builds ,strong looking with abs but not sick hardness look displayed in latter 80/90's era..haney run and the guys then that led up to wbf defection was good time ..then yates ripped the cover off again and bbing changed tenfold..

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »
sorta,,there are a lot of bbers from that era who u didn't know cause they were early weider mag guys likearnold/zame/robinson,and u couldn't make living on bbing so u never saw them.funk51 has cool thread on other board with guys from 60/70's early 80's some wicked builds ,strong looking with abs but not sick hardness look displayed in latter 80/90's era..haney run and the guys then that led up to wbf defection was good time ..then yates ripped the cover off again and bbing changed tenfold..

Agree.

I'm not saying all BBers from.that era sucked. Roy Callender for example was a monster. I just didnt like the direction they took the Mr O winner.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2014, 09:20:22 AM »
Agree.

I'm not saying all BBers from.that era sucked. Roy Callender for example was a monster. I just didnt like the direction they took the Mr O winner.
SEE YOUR POINT,yeah they were scrambling after the weider money machine ARNOLD a foreigner no less was out.so they made 2 division wght class mro's to liven it up,i know they did it in arnolds era with columbu winning .it was like they looked around'joe'and said ok arnolds gone zane has been around a while and he's in great shape and represents what I preach lol..there's one for a few yrs.dickerson/Samir had there shot the latter Samir had great build but haney came and pushed him back and gaspari went all out and was young so that was it for the smaller guy,maakaway/zane/ect were falling back or gone.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2014, 09:24:18 AM »
the 80,s will always b the best bodybuilding yrs imo, im totally biased ;)
R

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2014, 09:25:48 AM »
the 80,s will always b the best bodybuilding yrs imo, im totally biased ;)
YEAH 84/90 SOME GREAT BBERS,AAU/NPC/IFBB WAS CREAM OF CROP .

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2014, 09:31:56 AM »
SEE YOUR POINT,yeah they were scrambling after the weider money machine ARNOLD a foreigner no less was out.so they made 2 division wght class mro's to liven it up,i know they did it in arnolds era with columbu winning .it was like they looked around'joe'and said ok arnolds gone zane has been around a while and he's in great shape and represents what I preach lol..there's one for a few yrs.dickerson/Samir had there shot the latter Samir had great build but haney came and pushed him back and gaspari went all out and was young so that was it for the smaller guy,maakaway/zane/ect were falling back or gone.

Let me see if my non-google memory serves me.

77-79 zane

80 Arnold

81-82 Dickerson

83 Bannout

84-91 Haney

Melkor

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »
the guy who THINKS he can build muscle without drugs is the DELUSIONAL one

What a load of rubbish. Of course you can build muscle without drugs, you just have to get really strong at the big lifts and accept that you will gain some bodyfat in the process.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2014, 09:36:01 AM »
Let me see if my non-google memory serves me.

77-79 zane

80 Arnold

81-82 Dickerson

83 Bannout

84-91 Haney
DICKERSON 1 ,,REMEMBER FRANCO'S WIN EVERYBODY FLIPPED WORSE THAT 80 ARNOLD..

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »
YEAH 84/90 SOME GREAT BBERS,AAU/NPC/IFBB WAS CREAM OF CROP .

very good yrs n the talent was insane, to get a pro card in that time frame was a bitch,u had to b super super freaky to say the least
R

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
DICKERSON 1 ,,REMEMBER FRANCO'S WIN EVERYBODY FLIPPED WORSE THAT 80 ARNOLD..

Ah.

Yeah its weird I never acknowledge Francos win...so much that I forgot about it...LOL

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2014, 09:42:15 AM »
Ah.

Yeah its weird I never acknowledge Francos win...so much that I forgot about it...LOL
TOP 3 were 2 guys 5'5 or under franco/padilla,and platz no giant but had total build that night upperbody was close to or even with those ridiculous legs...

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2014, 11:01:35 AM »
Two things

Dorian built his size with lots and lots of steroids.  LOL @ people who think the way he trained had anything to do with it. Its nust what he preferred.

wrong....wrong....wrong.

yates became a champ because he knew how to train......and he knew his body and he knew how to be consistent.......yes he took drugs.....but in the end the champ is number one because he does the little things that set him apart from the crowd!!!!!

metzer had a damn fine build........I will put his triceps up there with the best in any era in bbing history.

he was powerful looking and had a nice flow to his physique......he also had a small waist and great abs!!!

Melkor

• Getbig III
Re: Mike Mentzer - Was he really 225 lbs in 1980?
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »
Mentzer had much better legs and slightly better arms (especially triceps) than Arnold. Arnold had far better back however.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »
WOOOOSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

sagittal chest

• Getbig III
  • I hate the French
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2014, 03:24:14 PM »
Mike Mentzer was the Chael Sonnen of bodybuilding.
Talks a lot of shit and convinces everyone he's good but his record speaks for himself.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »
WOOOOSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The most polished bodybuilder on that stage: Frank Zane

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »
 ;D

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2014, 10:40:12 PM »
wrong....wrong....wrong.

yates became a champ because he knew how to train......and he knew his body and he knew how to be consistent.......yes he took drugs.....but in the end the champ is number one because he does the little things that set him apart from the crowd!!!!!

metzer had a damn fine build........I will put his triceps up there with the best in any era in bbing history.

he was powerful looking and had a nice flow to his physique......he also had a small waist and great abs!!!
Yup as much as it's true, the whole "all drugs" line of thinking has become just another excuse to train like a bitch. So if all things are equal between two guys but one trains like an animal and the other doesn't, who's gonna gain more?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2014, 11:08:02 PM »
Yup as much as it's true, the whole "all drugs" line of thinking has become just another excuse to train like a bitch. So if all things are equal between two guys but one trains like an animal and the other doesn't, who's gonna gain more?

Well in that cconvoluted scenario...ofc the guy who busts his ass.

But if you have two guys that both hit it hard, but different protocols..on pro-level cycles...they will both be huge..genetcs will determine their aappearance..whether it be shapely or grainy.

Dorian didnt train himself into that sick dryness, it was drugs and genetics.