Author Topic: I assume most are "HARD-GAINERS"  (Read 45461 times)

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
I assume most are "HARD-GAINERS"
« on: January 22, 2006, 12:45:40 AM »
That's why you started bodybuilding right? You were a skinny kid. That's me anyway. 165 out of high school at 5'11''. I'm 6' 186 at age 21 now and gaining. I've only worked out a year or so and it was half-assed. Sometimes I took 2 weeks off. Still managed to gain 20 pounds of lean mass without using steroids.

I GNC weight gainer 2200 when I first started to kick start my training and get the necessary protein, calories, and amino acids. The stuff really worked for me. I ignored the directions and just used 2 scoops in 1 liter or so of whole milk once daily. I just cut the top off a 2-liter of Coca- Cola and that served as a good mixing jug. That was more than enough. That on top of eating everything in sight. At one point I was starting to collect some fat under my chin, but having a fast metabolism I was able to shed it very quickly. I think the stuff was great. It has 2200 calories, all your amino acids, and 40 grams of protein all in one. I'm to the point now that I don't feel like I need it.
  Now I just eat whatever I want, but I make sure to get some extra protein in. I'm eating 4-6 eggs whites with 1 or 2 yokes daily. I try to get some red meat too. Nothing beats real food. Powders just don't compare. I'm going to incorporate situps in my routine shortly too. Doing situps when you just start is counterproductive for hardgainers. You just burn all the calories. Once you put on some weight and get the natural hormone levels going you can add them in.

I try to follow this guideline when working out -
I do 2 sets of each exercise and do about 3 or 4 exercises per bodypart.
I don't workout more than 3 days a week.
I only do heavy exercises like squats and deadlifts every other week, but not both the same week.
Once every month or so I take a week off.

On the second set of the exercise I go until failure using my other hand to assist the lift.

WEEK I                                                                         WEEK II
SUNDAY-Biceps,Forearms                SUNDAY-Biceps, Forearms
Cheat Curls - 1 set                                          (SAME AS WEEK ONE)
Concentration Curls - 2 sets
Outer Bicep Curls - 2 sets
Hammer Curls - 1 set
Brachioradialis(reverse curl)- 2 sets
Extensors - 2 sets
Flexors - 2 sets
Grippers - failure

TUESDAY-Chest,Triceps                   TUESDAY-Deltoids, Triceps                
Free Weight Press - 2 sets                        Overhead Press - 2 sets
Dumbell Flys - 2 sets                                  Front Deltoid Raises - 1 set to failure
Tricep Extensions grip1 - 1 set                   Side Deltoid raises - 2 sets
Tricep Ext. Grip2 - 1 set                              Tricep Extensions grip1 - 1 set  
Triceps Ext. Grip3 - 1 set                             Tricep Ext. Grip2 - 1 set                                                                                                                      Tricep Ext. Grip3 - 1 set

FRIDAY-Back                                     FRIDAY-Legs
Deadlift - 2 sets                                          Front Squats - 2 sets
Shrugs - 2 sets                                           Calf Raises - 2 sets
Fireman's carry - Failure
Bent Row - 2 sets
Single Arm Row - 1 set

"Shut the F up and train"

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Re: I assume most are "HARD-GAINERS"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 07:17:28 AM »
That's why you started bodybuilding right? You were a skinny kid. That's me anyway. 165 out of high school at 5'11''. I'm 6' 186 at age 21 now and gaining. I've only worked out a year or so and it was half-assed. Sometimes I took 2 weeks off. Still managed to gain 20 pounds of lean mass without using steroids.

I GNC weight gainer 2200 when I first started to kick start my training and get the necessary protein, calories, and amino acids. The stuff really worked for me. I ignored the directions and just used 2 scoops in 1 liter or so of whole milk once daily. I just cut the top off a 2-liter of Coca- Cola and that served as a good mixing jug. That was more than enough. That on top of eating everything in sight. At one point I was starting to collect some fat under my chin, but having a fast metabolism I was able to shed it very quickly. I think the stuff was great. It has 2200 calories, all your amino acids, and 40 grams of protein all in one. I'm to the point now that I don't feel like I need it.
  Now I just eat whatever I want, but I make sure to get some extra protein in. I'm eating 4-6 eggs whites with 1 or 2 yokes daily. I try to get some red meat too. Nothing beats real food. Powders just don't compare. I'm going to incorporate situps in my routine shortly too. Doing situps when you just start is counterproductive for hardgainers. You just burn all the calories. Once you put on some weight and get the natural hormone levels going you can add them in.
 ^
What?
I try to follow this guideline when working out -
I do 2 sets of each exercise and do about 3 or 4 exercises per bodypart.
I don't workout more than 3 days a week.
I only do heavy exercises like squats and deadlifts every other week, but not both the same week.
Once every month or so I take a week off.

On the second set of the exercise I go until failure using my other hand to assist the lift.

WEEK I                                                                         WEEK II
SUNDAY-Biceps,Forearms                SUNDAY-Biceps, Forearms
Cheat Curls - 1 set                                          (SAME AS WEEK ONE)
Concentration Curls - 2 sets
Outer Bicep Curls - 2 sets
Hammer Curls - 1 set
Brachioradialis(reverse curl)- 2 sets
Extensors - 2 sets
Flexors - 2 sets
Grippers - failure

TUESDAY-Chest,Triceps                   TUESDAY-Deltoids, Triceps                
Free Weight Press - 2 sets                        Overhead Press - 2 sets
Dumbell Flys - 2 sets                                  Front Deltoid Raises - 1 set to failure
Tricep Extensions grip1 - 1 set                   Side Deltoid raises - 2 sets
Tricep Ext. Grip2 - 1 set                              Tricep Extensions grip1 - 1 set  
Triceps Ext. Grip3 - 1 set                             Tricep Ext. Grip2 - 1 set                                                                                                                      Tricep Ext. Grip3 - 1 set

FRIDAY-Back                                     FRIDAY-Legs
Deadlift - 2 sets                                          Front Squats - 2 sets
Shrugs - 2 sets                                           Calf Raises - 2 sets
Fireman's carry - Failure
Bent Row - 2 sets
Single Arm Row - 1 set

That routine looks horrible. You're training everything except bis, tris and forearms once every two weeks. WTF?

Where are you getting your info from?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 01:01:42 PM »
you really should visit the training forum more  ::)
Z

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 01:53:29 PM »
I don't think anyone is more of a hardgainer than me. I started lifting at 108 pounds. Got out of high school at 130. I'm 186 now at 23. I've been bodybuilding consistantly for a year and 2 or 3 months. before i had done bodybuilding but never for more that 4 months at a time. I try to keep my workouts to 45 minutes. Anyone got advice on back training? My chest/back measurement is 41.5 and i wanna get to at least 45.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 02:58:04 PM »
That routine looks horrible. You're training everything except bis, tris and forearms once every two weeks. WTF?

It's working for me great.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 03:02:39 PM »
I don't think anyone is more of a hardgainer than me. I started lifting at 108 pounds. Got out of high schoo at 130. I'm 186 now at 23. I've been bodybuilding consistantly for a year and 2 or 3 months. before i had done bodybuilding but never for more that 4 months. I try to keep my workouts to 45 minutes. Anyone got advice on back training? My chest/back measurement is 41.5 and i wanna get to at least 45.

Do deadlifts every other week. Keep the weight low enough so you can crank out 6-8 reps without a long pause in between. Do 1-3 sets and be damn sure to warm up. And make sure you use proper form. It's very easy to fuck up your back. In my experience, doing them more than every other week makes you worn out all the time. You can't recover properly.

Read this
http://www.topendsports.com/fitness/tech-deadlift.htm

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 03:22:31 PM »
I don't think anyone is more of a hardgainer than me. I started lifting at 108 pounds. Got out of high school at 130. I'm 186 now at 23. I've been bodybuilding consistantly for a year and 2 or 3 months. before i had done bodybuilding but never for more that 4 months at a time. I try to keep my workouts to 45 minutes. Anyone got advice on back training? My chest/back measurement is 41.5 and i wanna get to at least 45.

chins and rows. once or twice a week.
Z

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 04:00:24 PM »
deadlifts have helped. currently i do deads and barbell rows one week and chins and cables the other week.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 04:39:49 PM »
That looks thoroughly useless. Its got such a small ROM

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 04:46:26 PM »
I think it could work if it's done slow and strict. There really isn't any other way to completely isolate the center of the back. You are already doing the important exercises. They should be working.

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 05:02:24 PM »

"Early on in my association with this young fellow I'm training, he observed that we weren't doing much. You never want to work a muscle more than twice in one week, and when you work it, you work it with intensity. You never rest for more than 15 or 20 seconds between sets. When you work with intensity you'll be surprised how fast you get the pump, which is what you're looking for. Remember, when you're trying to gain, you never work your stomach because the stress attacks and shocks the nerves in your solar plexus and then your hormone levels go down."

http://www.criticalbench.com/Gironda.htm

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 05:38:40 PM »
Remember, when you're trying to gain, you never work your stomach because the stress attacks and shocks the nerves in your solar plexus and then your hormone levels go down."

I have heard this from time to time, heres my question. I started back into bodybuilding about 6 months ago when i started again i was about 155 i put myself on a bulking diet right away. I am now about 177 still bulking Ive noticed really good gains but naturally after bulking for so long i have developed a little bit of a gut which i never had before. I've asked some people if i should start cardio to get rid of it but they tell me if i start cardio I'm going to lose major size on my arms and other areas as well. So basically my question is when should a bulking diet stop and when you stop do you hit cardio right away and hit abs?
big or bust

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 05:46:10 PM »
I wouldn't do any cardio at all. I'm at the same stage you are right now. I think the only thing you need to do is change your eating habits and add crunches once you reach the size you want. Cut out soda pop and fattening foods and keep your protein intake high. It's simple as that. 

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 06:01:33 PM »
once you reach the size you want.

ok well right now i have not reached close to the size i want to end up with, so are you saying to bulk until you have reached that size then lean out. Clearly theres more to it then just bulking for a couple yrs then leaning.
big or bust

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 06:07:58 PM »
ok well right now i have not reached close to the size i want to end up with, so are you saying to bulk until you have reached that size then lean out. Clearly theres more to it then just bulking for a couple yrs then leaning.

You can start leaning out now and you will still make gains as long as you keep up with the training and keep your protein intake high. Cut down a little if the gut is getting out of control. I don't think it will be a real problem though. I don't know about you, but I can drop weight quickly if I choose to do so. You shouldn't have a problem shedding the weight. How big are you going for?

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 06:10:02 PM »
i know i wont have a problem shedding weight at all, its shedding weight and losing chest and arms measurements thats going to be depressing
big or bust

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 06:11:45 PM »
i know i wont have a problem shedding weight at all, its shedding weight and losing chest and arms measurments thats going to be depressing

You will actually look bigger. It's all about the illusion of size. As soon as you cut out the soda and fattening foods you will look more vascular and defined giving the illusion of added size.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 06:21:53 PM »
You will actually look bigger. It's all about the illusion of size. As soon as you cut out the soda and fattening foods you will look more vascular and defined giving the illusion of added size.
yes, i might lean out for a bit just to change up my diet, then bulk for a couple more months before summer
big or bust

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 06:22:44 PM »
Sounds like a plan. Good Luck!

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 06:27:03 PM »
Sounds like a plan. Good Luck!
Thanks mansonvier, i have a feeling you and I will be discussing alot on this board
big or bust

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 06:28:57 PM »
exactly...thats why the pros look soo big in a contest....in regular day life when they are just wearing jeans and a tshirt they look big but not as big.
bodybuildersreality.com

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 10:17:53 PM »
mansonvier where you from?

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 01:24:27 AM »
The whole "hardgainer" thing is a myth. It's just an excuse to train like a sissy.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 02:46:52 AM »
"Early on in my association with this young fellow I'm training, he observed that we weren't doing much. You never want to work a muscle more than twice in one week, and when you work it, you work it with intensity. You never rest for more than 15 or 20 seconds between sets. When you work with intensity you'll be surprised how fast you get the pump, which is what you're looking for. Remember, when you're trying to gain, you never work your stomach because the stress attacks and shocks the nerves in your solar plexus and then your hormone levels go down."

http://www.criticalbench.com/Gironda.htm

sounds like a bunch of bull
Z