Author Topic: How much do you bench?  (Read 56326 times)

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
Re: How much do you bench?
« Reply #500 on: May 28, 2014, 05:14:19 AM »

315lbs (140kg) bench press @ 164lbs bodyweight.

Good? :D I need to pop some var to get the number up to the 335 range ;D

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #501 on: May 28, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »

315lbs (140kg) bench press @ 164lbs bodyweight.

Good? :D I need to pop some var to get the number up to the 335 range ;D

doubt it. You've been training for strength...youve already learned to activate the muscle fibers you have. the only way you'll bench more is by gaining weight (muscle)

335 at 165 is not happening for you
l

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #502 on: May 28, 2014, 01:57:25 PM »
doubt it. You've been training for strength...youve already learned to activate the muscle fibers you have. the only way you'll bench more is by gaining weight (muscle)

?????

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #503 on: May 28, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »

Tendons and ligaments can get stronger while weight does not increase, hence a higher bench and with the right combinations of stimulants and increase compounds I can see another 50lb being reached, 365 is even possible.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
« Reply #504 on: May 28, 2014, 03:05:09 PM »

I've seen guys twice smaller than me benching way more so no, I haven't learned to activate muscle fibers I have ;) It's a long process, it takes years to reach your potential.

380lbs is my dream bench, I can gain few kgs of muscles, that's no problem. It will take few years I guess. I could get there sooner with more weight increase and heavy abuse but it's kinda pointless IMO. I don't mind being called "weak for someone enhanced", I couldn't care less about opinions of guys who cannot distinguish between modest use and heavy abuse.

Being fat or unhealthy for the sake of strength is not really my thing.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #505 on: May 28, 2014, 03:06:12 PM »
105 lbs.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
« Reply #506 on: May 28, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »
My biggest concern atm is that my squat and deadlift hasn't progressed at all for a year. I'm stuck at 210kg-ish deadlift and 180kg-ish squat and had upper back injury. Really frustrating, I got really close to that on creatine and my weak upper back limits any progress. Heavy good mornings, and russian planks must help, if they don't I am not sure what to do. Adding weight to bench is easy - bench 2-3 times per week reasonably heavy, add 2.5kg every week to your heaviest day and deload every once a while. With deads I could propably abuse the shit out of myself and I still wouldn't deadlift more without fixing upper back issue.

Back to the topic:

This guy is awesome:

But I heard powerlifters are fat and look like shit? :D I wonder what he uses. Does not seem too bloated.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #507 on: May 28, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »
My biggest concern atm is that my squat and deadlift hasn't progressed at all for a year. I'm stuck at 210kg-ish deadlift and 180kg-ish squat and had upper back injury. Really frustrating, I got really close to that on creatine and my weak upper back limits any progress. Heavy good mornings, and russian planks must help, if they don't I am not sure what to do. Adding weight to bench is easy - bench 2-3 times per week reasonably heavy, add 2.5kg every week to your heaviest day and deload every once a while. With deads I could propably abuse the shit out of myself and I still wouldn't deadlift more without fixing upper back issue.

Back to the topic:

This guy is awesome:

But I heard powerlifters are fat and look like shit? :D I wonder what he uses. Does not seem too bloated.
this guy is a freak of nature, unreal, he can crush records in his future.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
« Reply #508 on: May 28, 2014, 03:31:42 PM »
He is Levrone'sque

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #509 on: May 28, 2014, 05:02:03 PM »
?????

a 260 lb lean bodybuilder with a 400lb bench press will get to a 500lb bench press much quicker than a 200lb powerlifter with years of high intensity strength training under his belt assuming the bber has a lot more muscle.  A bodybuilders muscles are strong but his nervous system is weak. He just needs to learn to tap into that potential.

Not sure why you disagree, your boy Louie simmons has talked about this before.
l

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #510 on: May 28, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »
Look at okami from here...crushing records left and right making gains in two years most powerlifters take years to achieve. squatted 800 I think?
 Reason is  He  learned to activate and tap into the muscle he had all along.
l

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #511 on: May 28, 2014, 05:17:09 PM »
a 260 lb lean bodybuilder with a 400lb bench press will get to a 500lb bench press much quicker than a 200lb powerlifter with years of high intensity strength training under his belt assuming the bber has a lot more muscle.  A bodybuilders muscles are strong but his nervous system is weak. He just needs to learn to tap into that potential.

What makes a strong lift has so many variables, which means so may things can increase the lift without body weight increase. For example; a stronger joint, a stronger ligament, a stronger mind, more stimulants, for you to say someone has reached their max is such a big assumption because you are assuming his ligaments can not get stronger, his joints can not get stronger, his mind can not get stronger, hell you are even suggesting that he has the perfect combination of stimulants and compounds figured out.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #512 on: May 28, 2014, 07:44:26 PM »
a 260 lb lean bodybuilder with a 400lb bench press will get to a 500lb bench press much quicker than a 200lb powerlifter with years of high intensity strength training under his belt assuming the bber has a lot more muscle.  A bodybuilders muscles are strong but his nervous system is weak. He just needs to learn to tap into that potential.

So you understand that bodybuilding and power lifting are two different training protocols. Power lifters don't train really train for hypertrophy but for power. Also most bodybuilding workouts are random while PL is an actual plan and usually well documented. If a bodybuilder reaches a goal weight say on bench, it's because upped the dose and not due to his training. Very rarely, exept the bodybuilders that powerlift in the offseason like JOJ, don't train for power. Again, there's a difference between power, strength, hypertrophy and muscular endurance.

It's not that uncommon for a 181lb PL to hit well over 500 in a bench.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #513 on: May 28, 2014, 08:40:46 PM »
So you understand that bodybuilding and power lifting are two different training protocols. Power lifters don't train really train for hypertrophy but for power. Also most bodybuilding workouts are random while PL is an actual plan and usually well documented. If a bodybuilder reaches a goal weight say on bench, it's because upped the dose and not due to his training. Very rarely, exept the bodybuilders that powerlift in the offseason like JOJ, don't train for power. Again, there's a difference between power, strength, hypertrophy and muscular endurance.

Raw it sure is.  Very uncommon. 

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #514 on: May 28, 2014, 08:45:29 PM »

Yeah, not without a bench shirt.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #515 on: May 28, 2014, 11:04:34 PM »

I was going to comment on this but decided to let it go since the rest of coach's post was pretty good but ya, he put his foot in his mouth with that one.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #516 on: May 28, 2014, 11:15:36 PM »
coach neglected to mention that said powerlifters are 4'6" and under ::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #517 on: May 29, 2014, 12:50:44 AM »
I was going to comment on this but decided to let it go since the rest of coach's post was pretty good but ya, he put his foot in his mouth with that one.

USA Powerlifting alone has something like 15 in the 181's at over 500 raw. The highest being 584.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
« Reply #518 on: May 29, 2014, 02:39:08 AM »
Depends on the federation also. Some federations have stricter judging than others. Over 225kg @ 82.5kg is incredibly rare in IPF. Also, IPF is a tested federation so test, var and dianabol are the only compounds you can use, var and dianabol only in off season. Pre contest test only, then prop, then HRT dose of gel and shit like that.

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #519 on: May 29, 2014, 07:20:13 AM »

I agree with this. But I was simply advising deceiver. At the end to the day the three methods of strength training...the dynamic effort method, the maximal effort method, and the repetition method Westiside still admits that the repetition method (lifting a sub maximal load to failure) yields the greatest gains in maximal strength due to an increase in number of muscle size. Even more so than the maximal effort method at lifting weights 90% plus in the 1-3 rep range. You know this coach Im not telling you anything you don't know.
but the fact is a guy like deceiver (any guy really) is going to severely limit his bench potential  by keeping his weight under a certain limit
l

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #520 on: May 29, 2014, 07:30:44 AM »
USA Powerlifting alone has something like 15 in the 181's at over 500 raw. The highest being 584.

No need to beat this into the ground, but if you are talking equipped lifters, then yes there are many.  Raw, I don't know of anyone right now.  Unless you count those Paralympics competitors.  However that is not really the same thing in terms of bodyweight due to obvious reasons.