Author Topic: Ask Jennifer Lynn Cowan (aka The Beast)  (Read 115680 times)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Re: Ask Jennifer Lynn Cowan (aka The Beast)
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2006, 11:49:27 AM »
Ok so I had a really hard workout today and thought I would share.  Although I like to think I am still a sprinter, like I was in college, I am definitely NOT one anymore!  I knew I wouldn't be able to lift tonight so I figured I would get in a sprinting workout first thing in the morning since it would be tough and I would have a day to recover.  Well Chicago weather sucks especially when you have something you need to get done outdoors planned.

Once I stepped outside I knew I was stupid for thinking this would be a good idea.  The temperature wasn't the main problem, though 38 degrees is a little chilly but the drizzling rain really got on my nerves.  Once at the track I did my 2 lap warm-up, stretched and did drills...not so bad too far.  The weather still sucked but I was tougher then letting that stop me. 

So I started my workout, 5 x 200 Meters, 5 x 100 Meters with a 2:30 rest in between.  I really focused on my form, keeping my knees up and staying on my toes.  It ended up being a great workout-other then the rain making it quite hard to see out of my glasses.  My 200's were in 36-37 seconds and my 100's all in the 15's.  Not super fast but ok for a washed up track athlete.  By the end of the workout though my calves were so tight I was almost nervous I may pull something. 

It felt good to be sprinting again and having my legs move that fast.  They have the hurdles out so next time I will probably set up some plyos for me to do after the workout.

Phil, if you have any suggestions on a good  workout I am all ears.

Jennifer

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2006, 11:59:33 AM »
I was thinking shorter bursts, 200m might be too much...I dunno.  I was never in track. I played baseball and we did resistance 40 yard sprints and 100 yard sprints, followed by a few sets of shuttle runs.  That pumped up my legs, hams and glutes big time....... 

PS  washed up track athlete + hurdles = nothing good   ;D

philnq8

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2006, 01:57:04 PM »
I think 100/200 meter stuff is fine. I would focus on really opening up your stride when coming out of the curve in the 200, striking dorsiflexed at the ankle, pulling through with hamstring, hipflexor and glute. I hope that is clear, easier way to say it is to driving through using hip girdle/hamstring. The speed is not really as important as targeting the muscle group and getting an aerobic workout. High knee is important also. Pretty much the same on the 100 meter stuff, lenghten stride pattern and pull through with hip girdle/hamstring.

Sprint drills ie. high skips,bounding etc.Drills that require high knees.

I believe your waistline is fine, I can definitely see the effects from years of sprinting through your core. No worries there, you are getting wider at your lat level and with more outer sweep to your quads, you will be golden. Feminine X frame!!!

Try to keep your eye on the goal of becoming a Pro Figure competitor, your base is good, focus on the stuff that give you the right lines for your competition. Aesthetic training more so than mass, bulk, power training.

I hope this helps,
Phil

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2006, 11:05:56 AM »
 Come on someone POST something here again...

Hey GetBigger...let's argue or something...lets get the pot stirred.
?

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2006, 11:13:35 AM »
Come on someone POST something here again...

Hey GetBigger...let's argue or something...lets get the pot stirred.

LOL......I'm not arguing with you right know.  Your doing a show tomorrow, your probably a crabby dehydrated irritated motherf**ker ....

;D

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2006, 12:39:09 PM »

I'm just thirsty. I'm sitting here in my hole(cubicle) w/ a coat of ProTan on...smelling like nail-polish remover eating baked potatoes and turkey.

I'm not that crabby...I still like to argue, though. Oh, I was so livid last night...holy fk! Last night I was still depleting(I only carb up Friday and Saturday morning) so I go 5 FULL days of nothing but chicken/broccoli/flaxseed/and 2 gallons water...so I'm dizzy, my head is spinning, I feel drunk, I'm starving, I have to pee again real bad...I had a wad of Skoal(Wintergreen) in my mouth and no spit cup so my saliva is just filling and building in my mouth...

...my only goal was to run in 'Dominicks'(big chain grocery store in Chicagoland) and grab...pack of lean cut steaks, bag of potatoes and some whole-wheat pancake mix for Saturday morning...3 things...real quick right in right out. In under 2 minutes I acquire what I need since it was 11:00pm...only 1 line open at that time since it was pretty much empty. I get to the register swipe out the ATM card...it asked for PIN number...(shit how the hell do I know complicated things like that?) so I glance behing me...3 more people in line...I grab the phone dial the shit out of 'the ol' lady'...she doesnt answer...I call again and again and again...keep calling it keeps ringing I keep calling...now I am starting to sweat. I feel cortisol flowing all through me...I feel a lump in my throat and my tear ducts swelling. I have to pee so bad. I have saliva just BUILDING from my dip and nowhere to spit and now i'm holding up the line.

2 minutes pass I feel every eyeball from the people behind me just GLARING at me. Felt like...you know in 'Predator' when you see those 3 beams of light shaped like a triangle...you know any second you're in trouble...thats how it felt! Still no answer...I cant think of the PIN number...so I give it a crack...NOPE another shot...NOPE so after the longest minute of my life...more cortisol flowing...I feel water rentention building. I have to pee so bad finally the ol lady answers...

Now I cant speak...I have a mouth FULL of spit so I muster out...'aaayy...wasssth da piiii-nuuuumbvvrrr???' she goes...'WHAT?' I go...'wasssthssth da...PIIINnn-ummmbvver???' she goes...'whats wrong with you?' So I do it...I did it. I swallowed it. (OUCH!) I go...'whats the fkn PIN number?????' she tells me I pop it in pay for the merch and got the hell out of Dodge.

No big deal. I've been so constipated a little Skoal Wintergreen cleared that little dillema up no problem...as soon as I walked in the door.

So I guess it was a good thing.
?

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2006, 12:57:39 PM »
Skoal mint myself.  That is the worst....LOL, anytime you have a dip in your mouth and no spitter and think you can do whatever quick, never happens that way.  Every time I put in a dip in the car and have no spitter, I get all green lights......never fails.  And I ain't about to roll down the window and spit out and have it all across my car.....it's like Murphy's Law or something.  When I work on teh weekends, every time I put in a dip a girl comes up to me and wants to talk.  So I have to stand by the trash can and spit in front of her the whole time. 

I dont know how you kept that s**t down....

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2006, 02:07:33 PM »
 I believe that...Murphy's Law is a real thing.

One of the best times to have a dip is driving to work...a 20-30 minutes drive? Nothing is better than a little buzz from the steady flow of nicotine...HOWEVER, everytime I have the can open in my thumb and middle finger and try to take a pinch at a red light with my other hand...GREENLIGHT and get greenlights all the way to work...literally all the way non stop...get to work in 12-15 minutes.

Now if I leave my dip at work or for whatever odd reason dont have it on me? I hit redlights...heavy traffic...funeral processions, accidents...roadwork...p lanes, trains and automobiles! Everytime. Or as a meathed...we gotta eat when we gotta eat so sometimes its while driving. So right before I leave work...i heat the meal up in the microwave...figure I'll munch on it at red-lights...and I'm married so I'm not ever in a hurry to get home so sure enough...nothing but greenlights...not a stop sign or red light in sight. Everytime. Now...if I had NO FOOD and was 45 minutes PAST my timed meal...n-gga pleeeease! It would be nothing but red-lights...accidents...traffic jams...trains...everythi ng and anything.

Watch...watch how quick Jennifer tries to tell us how 'chewing tobacco is gross and BAD FOR YOU!' Hahahaha...I love when that happens...chillin w/ a dip and someone goes...'man, thats bad for you!' hahahahaha!
?

Bast175

« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2006, 02:09:21 PM »
you guys are hillbillies.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2006, 02:18:31 PM »
I thought about that too when she finds out were talking about chewing on HER thread.   ;D

How about the time you need it the most and you open it up and it's empty....or your sure you left it in the center console of your car and it's gone.   >:(

LOL.....you ever get stuck like at the grocery store like you were and you start talking mumbling with a mouth full of chew spite and it starts drooling out the corners of your mouth..... 

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2006, 02:40:10 PM »
 Yea well you're NOT a hillbilly, BAST so eat that apple!

Yea man...when it comes to dip...I did it all and seen it all. I still fall asleep with it then it smeared all over the pillows and all over me everywhere. Because of the last few posts...I threw in a wad...now I feel more sharp...I feel alive and vibrant. I feel focused and 'In The Zone!'. Dip? Dip is the ultimate 'performance enhancer'. If I have to read something or take a test...everything is so much more enhanced with a dip. Dip is our friend.

Thats her fault...she hasnt been posting on HER thread. I'll see her tomorrow...
?

Bast175

« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2006, 11:41:05 AM »
Yea well you're NOT a hillbilly, BAST so eat that apple!

Yea man...when it comes to dip...I did it all and seen it all. I still fall asleep with it then it smeared all over the pillows and all over me everywhere. Because of the last few posts...I threw in a wad...now I feel more sharp...I feel alive and vibrant. I feel focused and 'In The Zone!'. Dip? Dip is the ultimate 'performance enhancer'. If I have to read something or take a test...everything is so much more enhanced with a dip. Dip is our friend.

Thats her fault...she hasnt been posting on HER thread. I'll see her tomorrow...

you're the man!!

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2006, 08:04:54 AM »
you're the man!!

Thats just a case of bad genes......

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2006, 09:40:20 AM »
OK OK I am back lets please STOP with the disgusting pictures and stories about dip.  You guys are right it is NASTY.  I actually have a little story about it.

As you probably all know I was on the wrestling team in high school, the only girl-did it for all 4 years. Well I think it was probably my junior or senior year and we had gone to watch the guys in Sectionals-we beat the bus back and were waiting around because we were gonna go play lasertag or something after.  All the guys I was with were dipping, I though-hmmm that would be a good idea.  So they showed me how and told me to spit but didn't really explain that I should never swallow any of the spit.  So are finally on our way to the laser tag place and I am feeling kind of good.  We get there and something changed. 

Let's backup to  what we did for lunch/dinner-our coach took us to Boston Market and told us to order whatever we wanted.  I ate A LOT.

So here we are in the laser tag parking lot and all of a sudden I am completely nauseous and start uncontrollably throwing up.  I threw up everything, corn, chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, everything until I was finally dry heaving.  They drove me back to my car, I made it home, took a shower and prayed that night to not die.  I felt that horrible. 

Needless to say I have yet to try it again and for probably a year after that the smell of cherry made me queasy.  I don't know how you guys do it but it really is a disgusting habit.
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2006, 09:42:14 AM »
Block, congratulations-you looked great and I can't wait to see you the 27th.  Have fun today because the diet starts again soon:(
Jennifer

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2006, 10:41:23 AM »
Hey, don't take it out on us just because you couldnt handle it.....

speaking of which I am gonna need one after I eat this burnt leathery fish....   :-\

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2006, 10:51:28 AM »
Hey, don't take it out on us just because you couldnt handle it.....

speaking of which I am gonna need one after I eat this burnt leathery fish....   :-\

Why don't you make some chicken or turkey burgers-those are HARD to screw up.  (not that fish is difficult to make ::))
Jennifer

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2006, 11:02:00 AM »
I had chicken all weekend, turkey puts me to sleep, and fish........I am getting the hang of...... :P

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2006, 12:11:36 PM »
 Thanks, Jen...

Of course i'm not happy but it was an awesome learning expierence...I got alot of good constructive criticisim from a couple judges and it comes down to needing more extreme conditioning.

I can do it...and I will. My next show instead of Illinois State will be the new 'USA CONT.' in September. I came in at 220lb Saturday...for this show I HAVE to come in UNDER 210 no matter what...205-209 range will be my goal.

Chicago is hosting a firefighters enterance examination the day before the Illinois show...I have to focus on scoring well(physical/written) and landing that job. Also...funds are low right now...not to mention I'd like to take a month or so to 'down regulate'. Know what Im saying?

Thank you though...thank you for being there for me and cheering me on...you know I am and will do the same for you...always. Holla!
?

FitChic78

• Getbig II
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2006, 09:34:22 AM »
Hey Block! So you did the show this past weekend. What's the outcome? I would love to see a couple of pics from the comp. Would you mind posting? :) You never came across to me as a shy type but in case if you don't want it to be posted on here, you can always email me ;)

Congruts, man! Hope you are still considering going to the O. this year. Hit me back and lem'me know!

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2006, 10:48:23 AM »
I deleted it because there is no place for that kind of s**t on this board.  I didn't even think it was worthy of a reply.

NoMeatHeadz

• Getbig I
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2006, 12:04:01 PM »
Jen,

First and foremost let me state that I do not have hatred in me.  It may be percieved as such, but it is more a case of being defensive.  There is not a person on this forum who has any idea of the accomplishments, I too have achieved.  It was not fair and even embarrassing that you found some type of satifaction by degrading me in front people at the show.  You want to call me out and say that I don't work hard?  Why?  You see me move 600lb squats at a bodyweight of 205lbs., Is that not hard work?  I know you work hard and I do respect that, but don't use someone else's situation at your benefit.  Do you feel that is makes you more of a competitor?  I placed 3rd at the Powerlifting USA Junior Nationals at age 22, then 6 months later I trained to compete in the Ironman I was 3 weeks out 6.5% bodyfat and 210lbs.  But a caught Mono.  Doesn't make me weak, it makes me stronger.  I accomplished all this with a full-time job and caring for my mother every night as she was lying in bed dying.  I know sacrafice.  I know you do as well, but next time realize that I too love "The Iron Game"  and we should not try to rank ourselves or judge each other anywhere else but on the stage.  I will be there for your show, whether you like it or not.  Trust me when I say this, I have never quit anything.  Hopefully, my words have done what yours have indeed done to me..... MOTIVATE.  Hate me all you want or forgive and forget.  I am a competitor.  Your are a competitor.  Take a negative and make it a positive.  Fuel the fire within.   I am looking to make my way back into competion.  Call BlockHead let's hit it hard and heavy.    Peace out..............

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »

Yo, dear...

Think about it like this...does this person get any hate mail? NO! Know why? he isnt 'known' at all by any means. YOU on the other hand ARE known and almost very wll known now so it is in the nature of someone making a name for themselves to get hate mail from time to time.

It's called popularity. Think of anyone famous...anyone and I can promise they get or have gotten hate mail.

At that show Saturday...you worked the crowds like no other...all kinds of girls competing in that show were lined up to talk to you on what they need to do to get better.

That post...was a 'Rite of Passage'. Think about it...you've arrived. You made it. You aint made it...until you get a hater or a bunch of haters. You feel me?

Go to the 'Gossip/Opinions' board...even Ronnie and Jay...the top 2 BB's on planet earth...get worse! Know why? They made it thats why...

Holla!
?

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2006, 12:15:31 PM »

Yo, dear...

Think about it like this...does this person get any hate mail? NO! Know why? he isnt 'known' at all by any means. YOU on the other hand ARE known and almost very wll known now so it is in the nature of someone making a name for themselves to get hate mail from time to time.

It's called popularity. Think of anyone famous...anyone and I can promise they get or have gotten hate mail.

At that show Saturday...you worked the crowds like no other...all kinds of girls competing in that show were lined up to talk to you on what they need to do to get better.

That post...was a 'Rite of Passage'. Think about it...you've arrived. You made it. You aint made it...until you get a hater or a bunch of haters. You feel me?

Go to the 'Gossip/Opinions' board...even Ronnie and Jay...the top 2 BB's on planet earth...get worse! Know why? They made it thats why...

Holla!

The Block has spoken the truth...

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2006, 12:28:49 PM »
 (Sigh)

Wow...

I am in loss for words...(shaking my head).

Thanks, GETBIGGER...

This one hit close to home...I gotta make some phone calls here...let me straighten some things out...
?