Author Topic: Ask Jennifer Lynn Cowan (aka The Beast)  (Read 116066 times)

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
Re: Ask Jennifer Lynn Cowan (aka The Beast)
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2006, 03:32:55 PM »

Hahahaha! Bast is my nugga! He surfs around on get.big posting here and there an occasionally makes it to the 'Ask Jennifer...' thread talks a little shit and POOF...he's gone for 2 or 3 weeks. Hahahahaha!
?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2006, 09:06:04 AM »
Hahahaha! Bast is my nugga! He surfs around on get.big posting here and there an occasionally makes it to the 'Ask Jennifer...' thread talks a little shit and POOF...he's gone for 2 or 3 weeks. Hahahahaha!

You have him all wrong, he is actually on this thread all the time just waiting to make a cute remark so I notice him...just one of my many stalkers
Jennifer

Bast175

« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2006, 12:56:29 PM »
You have him all wrong, he is actually on this thread all the time just waiting to make a cute remark so I notice him...just one of my many stalkers

haha Yes!  When are we getting married?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #228 on: April 14, 2006, 05:05:04 PM »
haha Yes!  When are we getting married?

Where's my ring??
Jennifer

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #229 on: April 15, 2006, 08:44:02 AM »

Naaaa...neither one of you's want to get married...trust and believe TheBlockHead on that one...
?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2006, 09:20:16 AM »
Hello!  Well I had a pretty good weekend and had some pictures taken.  I'm exactly 4 weeks out from my first show in these pictures.  No, I haven't started tanning so I am still horribly white.  Again, any comments and suggestions are welcome.  I'm still about 127 but have tightened up a little, I've been doing a track workout once a week which I think has helped with that. Also I really think the 1/2 serving of creatine has filled me out a little and helped me maintain muscle size.

I am still at 75 G's of carbs a day with 1-2 higher carb days a week (150-225), my routine has stayed pretty much the same and I probably won't change anything until the last week.  I'll stay at 3 times a week cardio for this first show and maybe up it going into Junior Nationals...just depends on how I m looking.
Jennifer

ryanhard

• Getbig II
« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2006, 09:36:53 AM »
hi jennifer,your looking good,well on target!keep up the good work!i know the diets hard but it will be all worth it when your arms are raised in VICTORY!!!

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2006, 11:20:27 AM »

You should see her when she is out/about...

I never ever seen so many guys heads turn and eyes 'getbig' when she works a room...she stands out like a sore thumb. Like a woman among little girls. It's amusing to see women look at her w/ a little mixture of fear/confusion/and jealousy.

She even physically walks around a room like she is on stage. Ever see the movie 'Born in East L.A.?' In the beginning of the movie that red-head w/ that green dress walks the streets of L.A. and traffic is stopping and heads are spinning? That's HER!

Maybe its the muscles...I dont know. Maybe because she carries/conducts herself like she is already a IFBB Pro figure competitor and she wears it on her sleeve and screams it loud and proud for the whole world to see. Whatever it is...it's definitley something to witness and an impressive sight to see.
?

philnq8

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2006, 12:27:09 PM »
Definitely coming together nicely.

Nice shape overall.

Fine tuning point I can see are:

Lower lat tie in-seated rows to your belly button or lower, chins using a V-bar pulling to your belly button- this will bring your waist in even tighter and kind of fill in the gap between your hips and upper lats-this will give you a more complete look.

Triceps- your arms look great from the front(biceps) but your triceps need a little more long head to fill in from the back-close grip benches and lying tricep extensions should do the trick.

Keep working those hamstrings and the area around your medial knee area will fill in(noticeable gap both left and right leg.

Hope this helps,
Phil

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #234 on: April 17, 2006, 12:40:26 PM »
Phil, thanks for the comments...a few questions though.

Lower lat tie in-seated rows to your belly button or lower, chins using a V-bar pulling to your belly button- this will bring your waist in even tighter and kind of fill in the gap between your hips and upper lats-this will give you a more complete look.

Yeah, this is right on the money about my physique, my tie-ins have always been really high and I have tried to manipulate my lifting this year  (close grip pull-ups, lat pulls...) to bring them down.  I'm guessing your second recommendation is supposed to be lat pulls using a V-bar? 

Triceps- your ams look great from the front(biceps) but your triceps need a little more long head to fill in from the back-close grip benches and lying tricep extensions should do the trick.

My tricpes have always seemed broken to me, they are strong but don't have a nice line...what is a lying tricep extension?  My guess is with a dumbbell, behind the head.

Keep working those hamstrings and the area around your medial knee area will fill in(noticeable gap both left and right leg.

What does that mean?
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #235 on: April 17, 2006, 12:42:24 PM »
ryan, gb and block-thank you for the compliments. 

Block, as usual you over-estimate me (but I appreciate it:))  I just have self-confidence which many people unfortunately lack.
Jennifer

philnq8

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #236 on: April 17, 2006, 02:13:02 PM »
Check your email, I have posted answers there.
Phil

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: April 17, 2006, 03:02:31 PM »

I have to concur w/ Phil about some of his assessments. Still...a HUGE difference between those pics and the last ones that were taken at Elston 3 weeks ago. Your waist looks alot smaller(more narrow). You look a lot more detailed and it is obvious everything is falling into place.

I see where Phil is going w/ your lower-lats. I believe once upon a time...in China, I may even told you that. Close-grip pulldowns bringing it down to your lower-rib cage or mid-stomach. I wish you can use a pullover machine(Nautilus)...that would help.

The critique on the triceps I dont agree with too much plus I wouldnt have you do any close-grip benches or any type of presses FLAT. Your front delts tend to be very over-powering and I believe it gets incorporated with all your pressing movements. Your front delts have the potential to over-develop which isnt so much of a bad thing but then you have to play catch up to balance out the side/rear delt. I'd focus more on REAR delt and avoid anything that will work the front delts...for now. Rear delts and side delts.

Hamstring work I will concur w/ Phil again for complete seperation with the front of your leg and the back. Your legs are your best bodypart if you ask me...legs/delts/arms. I think...I could be wrong I think you hold just a little water or fatty deposits in the back of your legs but see now I am being nitpicky. Your a champion though, and a true champion leaves absolutley nothing to chance. Nothing.

Keep it up w/ your sprints/plyo training. Now I have no room to talk for it is true TheBlockHead needs all kinds of work and improvments tomake and this is bold comming from the mouth of this cowboy but I concur again with you possibly upping your cardio for Jr. Nationals...maybe by 10 minutes added to each duration you normally do now OR 10-15 minutes of light-moderate cardio right after your weight-training sessions and keep what cardio you are doing now...the same. Or both...10 minutes added plus 10-15 minutes after each weight training session. Use the stair master after each workout if you go with the '10-15minutes after theory'.

Remember...TheBlockHead always got your back!
?

philnq8

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #238 on: April 17, 2006, 03:15:37 PM »
I agree with Blockhead as far as avoiding flat style pressing movements, you will seein the example pictures I sent to you that they are being done on an incline bench, I believe that your overall balance will be better with more tricep work. Just focus on control and isolation of you tricep and you can avoid too much front delt involvement.

You will do well, you have made great improvements to your physique.

Phil

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #239 on: April 19, 2006, 09:26:54 AM »
Thanks for that email phil, I liked the pictures-at least I can understand them!  Well I have back today so I will try those pull-ups, they look pretty hard though.  This is a typical routine for me on back day:

Pull-ups (this week I am on 4 sets of 8)
Close grip Lat Pulls
Seated Low Row
DB Row or Bent over Barbell row
Good Mornings or Back Hypers

Let me know if you think I should change anything up, obviously the Pull-Ups I will change to the crazy ones although I doubt I will be able to do 4 sets of 8 of them. 

I rarely do any flat bench training, though every once in awhile I sneak in some flat bench reps to see where my strength is.  Also, I normally do quads before hams on leg day and this week I'll switch it up so I can hit my hams hard.  As I lean out I don't think separation in my hams will be too much of a problem.

And yes Block I know you told me the same thing...I've been working on it but it is my genetics and I suppose no matter what I do my tie-ins will be higher then most.     

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it ;)
Jennifer

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #240 on: April 19, 2006, 11:08:08 AM »
If I HAD to say something I would add a wide grip pulldown, just stretch the f**k out of your lats--or just make sure you get those FOUR sets in of wide grip pull-ups in fo sho.  Get a spot, train hard or go home.  I train like thickness and width are two seperate workouts so my back workout is pretty intense......

2 warms-ups behind the neck pulldowns.

wide grip behind the neck lat pulls 3x10-12
wide grip front lat pulls 3 sets
close reverse grip front lat pulls 4 sets
t bar rows 3 sets
db rows 4 sets
deadlifts 1 warm up plus 3 sets

Back is like legs, big enough to just pound the s**t out of it.  I don't think people blast back hard enough IMO.  But, thats just me.  WTF do I know..... 

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2006, 11:59:04 AM »

I feel so left out here. Let me break down my usual BACK routine...

My favorite BACK training gym has to be my gym...Pumps Muscle Station on the southside/Chicago. Only gym in the city I know of with an old school NAUTILUS PULLOVER machine...this is my typical 6 weeks out from a show type routine...

Nautilus Pullover: *warmup w/ 70lbs for 10 reps* *warmup w/ 90lbs for 10 reps* 1st set...150lbs for 12, 2nd set 180lbs for 10 and 200lbs for 6-8reps...to complete utter failure.

Reverse Grip Pulldowns: *warmup w/ 120lbs for 8reps* 1st set 180lbs for 12reps, 2nd set 225lbs for 8-10reps...3rd set 240lbs for 6-8reps.

Barbell Rows: *warmup 135lbs for 10* 1st set 225lbs for 10, 2nd set 315lbs for 8reps then 365lbs for 5-7reps.

Pulley Rows: *warmup 180lbs for 8reps* 1st set 240lbs for 12 reps, 2nd set 275lbs for 10-12 then 305lbs for 8-10reps.

Hyperextensions: Hold a 10lb plate at my chest for 20-25reps.

Rack Deadlifts. 225 for 10reps, 315 for 10 reps, 405 for 8-10reps, 495 for 6 reps 545lbs for 4-6 reps.

I'll hit you up later w/ an e-mail GetBigger...holla!
?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2006, 01:30:57 PM »
I haven't heard from fitchic lately, anybody know if she is around?

Oh and gb-I don't do wide grips on anything anymore because of my high tie-ins, I try to keep a medium to narrow grip for all my back exercises in hopes that my lower back will widen out.
Jennifer

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2006, 01:38:33 PM »
Hmm.....wonder where my tie-ins are?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #244 on: April 20, 2006, 01:02:07 PM »
Hmm.....wonder where my tie-ins are?

Get a little leaner, take some back pics and we can tell you:)

Soooo, I did my back workout yesterday and it kicked my butt!  I can't remember the last time I was sore from a back workout, its great!  I really enjoyed the pull-ups though they remind me of chin-ups, a little different but they are definitely easier then wide-grip pull-ups.

V-Grip Pull-ups: 4x8
Lat Pulldown:  80 (3 sets of 8 ) last set drop set 80/50/30
Bent-Over barbell row: 85 (4 sets of 8 )
Low Row: 80(1/8 ) 90(2/8 )   100(1/7)
Back Hypers on one of those big balls-no weight: 12 12 15 15

I was a little tired going into it, I think the track workout Tuesday took it out of me and my dieting is slightly affecting my enrgy.  Plus I stayed up to read a really good book...one of the reason I try and avoid reading good books when I am dieting!  I NEED MY SLEEP!!! 

Jennifer

philnq8

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2006, 02:50:25 PM »
The workout looks good. I find it necessary to really get a good stretch on the bottom of the movement on the Vbar chins. At the top, pause and sortof pull myself forward (toward my belly button) using my lats. Try to take your arms out of the motion as much as possible, think of your hands as hooks to hold yourself in place, your lats should feel like they are doing all the work.

You will be hard to beat. You could show now and win most regional shows. National Level-damn right!!

Phil

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: April 20, 2006, 03:03:35 PM »

Your darn tootin', Phil...

She will be hard to beat. It's hard for me to imagine other girls who will meet her on stage with the same dedication, drive and determination this girl has.

As far as her BACK routine goes...I wish she can use a Nautilus Pullover. That would take the biceps/arms right out of BACK training and put the stress in her lower lats. She can hold it statically, work a slow negative the works!

The Cowan Vehicle will be PLOWING right through Jr. Nationals and I will fkn be there! I have another buddy competing in the Men's BB so its going to be a great weekend for me.
?

philnq8

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #247 on: April 20, 2006, 03:15:16 PM »
A pullover unit would be awesome for Jennifer to use, Hammer Strength makes one too, I like the Nautilus more but it seems they are too find these days.

We need her to slap some color on to really get the impact in her pictures. It would be great for her confidence too, not that she lacks there but just for sh*ts and giggles.

Phil

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: April 20, 2006, 03:29:25 PM »

The Hammer pullover cant even be in the same category as the old school chain link built like a tank Nautilus Machine. Just cant even be in the same sentence together...

You know what Phil? TheBlockHead, here OWNS one. I think my gym on the S.S/Chicago is the only gym I am aware of that has one. Jennifer here is more than welcome to have complete access to it but my gym is a little out of her way. In offseason or something...I reckon she should make a trek out there maybe twice a month to train BACK simply to use that machine. Shit...I myself make out of the way trek's to different gyms if they have one particular piece of equipment I like but dont have immediate access to. Then again...I'm insane in the membrane like that...know what I'm sayin?

Yea...once she drops her water and her color is on...she will look even 10x's better. I know she'll be a contender in the money spots this year...I can't see that NOT happening. Holla!
?

philnq8

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #249 on: April 20, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »
Believe or not, there is a Nautilus Pullover unit right here in the desert camp I am working at, 100km from the closest city, in the middle of the desert. That is one thing the military does for its troops, it does put gyms in the most remote places. Tons of weight, decent equipment. They throw nothing away, just repair it and keep it in service. I'm not in the military but work as a contractor, I do get to use the facility though.

We can't let Jen get too hardlooking, but then again who is to say what the figure judges really look for? I can't figure it out from show to show.

Phil