Author Topic: No college  (Read 16842 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: No college
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2014, 10:27:06 AM »
just out of curiosity, when was the last time you found yourself hunting buffalo across the plains? have you survived on your own ever in your life? do you grow your own crops and hunt your own meat? did you make your own clothing? is your generator hand cranked? how are you online right now? is this all built and maintained by you personally?

you can't "survive" any more than the educated people you're decrying. sadly, what you ARE is a sad little man who has had his mind poisoned by the right-wing propaganda that hopes to make you feel that the educated elite are really just poofy eggheads and that you're part of the gritty hard-working "real America" that knows how the world REALLY works.

it's rather obvious you never finished college. your critical thinking skills are catastrophically low.

What do you do for a living and how much do you make? We can start there? If you think being a college grad means instant success, you're high.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2014, 10:31:34 AM »
case in point. here we have a man in his... 30s? 40s? who did not finish college. this means he spent between one and three years in college but did not finish.

this means, therefore, that he spent between 13 and 15 years in education, and believes that those who spent 16 years in education lack the "street smarts" and "common sense" that he attained. this means that our dear coach believes that at some point during that year or two he was not in school he was imbued with all the world's smarts that are unavailable to those who were in a university between the ages of 20 and 22.

in other words, a 40 year old man only has common sense if he was not in school between 18 and 22. after all, before that, we were ALL in school, and after that, none of us were. so the only reason coach has "street smarts" and "common sense" is that he was out of school during that magic window wherein the "common sense" and "street smarts" of the world present themselves.

alternate theory: coach is full of shit.

occam's razor, take your pick.

BTW, I came up just 6 months short of my degree and I can honestly tell you that 30 years later that degree wouldn't mean shit right now. Your education starts AFTER you meet the minimum requirements for obtaining that little piece of paper.

ENZO

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2014, 10:42:35 AM »
I went to college for a field I have no true passion in. I'm now running my own business, making my own rules and earning more while doing what I love. Don't think I'd be as successful without my skills and knowledge obtained from school though

That_Dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2014, 11:07:50 AM »
I've noticed that generally the only people who say you do not need college are people who never attended/graduated

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
Any man will advise you to do as he has done, even if he's a complete fuckup.  People don't know shit.  Ignore them.

Kids ought to weigh it up and do something they're wanting to work hard at, even if someone says not to.  You're not going to starve.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2014, 11:24:17 AM »
Maybe ten, fifteen years ago you could still get by without college. I guess if you work doing some type of manual labor you could move up and manage other manual laborers, but even retail expects their managers to have a degree. If you can get into an industry without a degree, of course you'll be able to move up....but to get your foot in the door, a degree is pretty necessary

In the UK, yes this is my take on it too.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2014, 11:49:44 AM »
it's all about luck and who you know. 

End of thread.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2014, 11:50:51 AM »
I've noticed that generally the only people who say you do not need college are people who never attended/graduated

I never said you shouldn't go, I said it's not for everyone. What do you say to people to get a degree it after they get it go into another field where their degree is all but useless?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »
Sadly in the real world if a hiring manager has two resumes.  Some bonehead who's dad's gifts to harvard got him in but is a lazy fuck and some super smart kid with amazing potential with a college degree from Chico State, the Harvard grad will get the job 10/10 times.

Happened to me.  The hiring manager loved me for a job.  thought I'd be a perfect fit for the company but his VP hired someone else because he wanted pedigree from an ivy league school.  Fuck him.

The hiring manager even called upset to apologize because he knew his VP fucked up picking the other person.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2014, 11:57:25 AM »
This is a ridiculous thread. Sure, we all know the guy who didn't go to college that makes 7-figures a year as a contractor. However, statistically speaking, people with a college degree earn much, much more, over the course of their lifetime than people who don't have one.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2014/02/11/new-study-shows-value-college-education/3IWWEOXwQEAcMFSy09msOK/story.html

Exactly. I know of a couple as well that did fairly well without college until they had a family. You make $75k and your single....that's comfortable living. Get a girl prego and child support kicks in cut that in half. Without a degree sooner or later you cap out. Hit a ceiling if you will.

In 10yrs (probably less since I've already seen it here in Seattle) a lot of employers won't even consider you unless you have a degree. For example, you can apply for the Bellevue Police Department unless you have a degree. It literally can be any 4yr degree they don't care as long as you have one.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
I never said you shouldn't go, I said it's not for everyone. What do you say to people to get a degree it after they get it go into another field where their degree is all but useless?
That they're still better people for graduating college.

That_Dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2014, 12:08:20 PM »

You gain other intangibles besides the core area of study. Also shows prospective employers that you are able to have a plan commit to it and complete the task. Not to mention it proves that you have the ability/willingness to learn

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »
For those saying college is a waste, would love to see how you feel when your doctor performing heart surgery on you has a degree from "the street"

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
College is much more about the skills/experiences/friends/connections you make while obtaining your degree than it is about getting a degree that qualifies you for a job in a particular field.

It is also proof to prospective employers that you can see a long-term project through to successful completion, which is good.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2014, 12:14:47 PM »
it's all about luck and who you know.  

End of thread.

also all about where you are; if you live somewhere there are no jobs, it doesn't matter how educated you are or aren't.

in some fields, though, it is not at all about luck or who you know, and the gov't makes sure of it. where we are, 'fair hiring practices' come into play (bill 115). wife has an MA in education, years of teaching experience, but principals can't even give her an interview if she hasn't been working for the board for a certain amount of time. it's education vs. experience; had she not gone to grad school those extra two years, she would have been working for the board those extra two years and would therefore have more seniority. her MA means nothing in this context.

any time i get posted, she's at the bottom of the seniority list again whatever board she applies to.

so 7 years of university later and she can't get a job despite being highly qualified and employable. in fact, being qualified has limited her options, as though she is willing to take what she can get, she is regularly told she is 'over-qualified'.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2014, 12:14:49 PM »
College is much more about the skills/experiences/friends/connections you make while obtaining your degree than it is about getting a degree that qualifies you for a job in a particular field.

It is also proof to prospective employers that you can see a long-term project through to successful completion, which is good.

For about 50% of Americans it's an excuse to drink and party.  A co-worker's daughter who was a straight A student went off to college in September learned a couple months in she was missing classes, getting drunk nightly and raving every weekend.  They pulled her out of the school and brought her back home.  hahaha.

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2014, 04:44:13 PM »
I did not go to college in fact I did not even do great in high school cause I had no interest, the funny thing is  now I am making more money then a lot of my friends who went to college and  got their degrees, now they are stuck with student loans that they got to pay off while I am debt free, the education system is nothing but a rip off.

Let's hope you're wrong about the education system being a ripoff, else your overtime at Mickie D's might have to come down as all that cheap labor joins you behind the french fryer.  Some of that "more money" might go away.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2014, 04:51:42 PM »
I've hired hundreds of software engineers. At no point have I given the slightest fuck where they went to college. I hire work experience.

Of course, you have to break into the field somewhere.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2014, 06:32:14 PM »
I've hired hundreds of software engineers. At no point have I given the slightest fuck where they went to college. I hire work experience.

perhaps but they weren't without formal training/certs were they?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »
perhaps but they weren't without formal training/certs were they?

Honestly, formal training and (LOL) certs don't mean fuck-all in software development. Code comprehension, testing strategies, data structures/algorithms and basic architectural knowledge will take a guy far.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »

Although Jack Welsh is huge on education, the highlighted is a major factor in his philosophy.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »
Anti-intellectualism is big these days. ::)

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2014, 09:50:42 PM »
I quit college after 2 years to work for arguably the best company in my industry (at the time) and never looked back. Like _AJ_ says, here in Silicon Valley (At least in my line of work) no-one gives a fuck where you went to college, it's as important on your resume as putting you like to volunteer at animal shelters or play softball.

the only sticking point was getting a US visa, but thankfully big corporations can get almost anything they want for their employees, thanks Obama!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
I quit college after 2 years to work for arguably the best company in my industry (at the time) and never looked back. Like _AJ_ says, here in Silicon Valley (At least in my line of work) no-one gives a fuck where you went to college, it's as important on your resume as putting you like to volunteer at animal shelters or play softball.

the only sticking point was getting a US visa, but thankfully big corporations can get almost anything they want for their employees, thanks Obama!

Keep talking.